You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Top Five Ships with most accurate guns

48 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,063 posts

Not sure where to find the statistic... but wondered if there is a consensus on at least the top five ships in terms of main battery accuracy. Of course this would involve dispersion(s) but I shall not cast any towards any particular ship. I'm curious to what you guys think. tiafyc

[OO7]
Supertester
2,179 posts
9,480 battles

It comes down to many other factors besides dispersion alone. Take something like a Udaloi and compare that to a Missouri. While the Udaloi's dispersion can be a bit wonky at times, with the sheer rate of fire the Udaloi has, even if you get a weird salvo, you'll have another one or two in the air before the first even reaches the target. Can these be counted as "accurate?" The Udaloi adapts the whole Quanity over Quality type deal. A constant flow or relatively light shells. Missouri on the other hand, has [edited] accurate dispersion on her main battery. her 16' guns also pack quite a punch, but with a significantly slower reload time. Quality over Quantity 

[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,514 battles
8 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

It comes down to many other factors besides dispersion alone. Take something like a Udaloi and compare that to a Missouri. While the Udaloi's dispersion can be a bit wonky at times, with the sheer rate of fire the Udaloi has, even if you get a weird salvo, you'll have another one or two in the air before the first even reaches the target. Can these be counted as "accurate?" The Udaloi adapts the whole Quanity over Quality type deal. A constant flow or relatively light shells. Missouri on the other hand, has [edited] accurate dispersion on her main battery. her 16' guns also pack quite a punch, but with a significantly slower reload time. Quality over Quantity 

Well apart from the fact that Udaloi is vastly more acurratte than Missouri because Missouri is a BB and Udaloi is a DD.

@OP: Various DD's in pure dispersion terms.

In actual real world accuracy, probably a few of the high tier cruisers.

[-K-]
Members
4,937 posts
15,987 battles

Accuracy is more complicated than "Top #". Some ships have better worst-case accuracy (max dispersion), some ships have tighter average groupings (sigma), some ships have particularly good or bad accuracy at close ranges (min dispersion).

[Y0L0]
Members
9,941 posts
14,434 battles

it also depends on range.       for example, i have very high hit rate with IJN DD.  :D    short range will do that. 

[HINON]
Supertester
21,768 posts
15,546 battles
3 minutes ago, Carl said:

@OP: Various DD's in pure dispersion terms.

Iwaki A, Yubari or Katori, with the ASM0 mod.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,625 battles
19 minutes ago, Lert said:

Iwaki A, Yubari or Katori, with the ASM0 mod.

This, as well as Yamato and the T10 cruisers.

[-SCL-]
Beta Testers
902 posts
7,698 battles

Was gonna say Yubari, but others beat me to it.

Nothing like having laser accuracy (and defensive fire AA) at tier 4. 

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,278 posts
8,525 battles

Depends on the class. Most destroyers have comparable dispersion values. Cruisers would be Katori, Iwaki Alpha and Yubari. Battleships wise, I believe it's Nagato or Yamato in terms of dispersion and sigma combination.

Members
1,296 posts
867 battles
24 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

Depends on the class. Most destroyers have comparable dispersion values. Cruisers would be Katori, Iwaki Alpha and Yubari. Battleships wise, I believe it's Nagato or Yamato in terms of dispersion and sigma combination.

At close to medium range (13 km and below) I think the Iowa and Montana with APR2 might be the most accurate from what I remember.

Also, isn't the Zao special in that it has DD dispersion curve or something?

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,278 posts
8,525 battles
2 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

At close to medium range (13 km and below) I think the Iowa and Montana with APR2 might be the most accurate from what I remember.

Also, isn't the Zao special in that it has DD dispersion curve or something?

Im fairly sure a Nagato running accuracy module has one of, if not the lowest dispersion per kilometer values in the game for a battleship. That's just from memory though, could be totally wrong. Of course Cesare will toss that out of the window if it releases as-is.

Modder, In AlfaTesters
391 posts
4,149 battles

Iwaki Alpha, the reward ship gifted to alpha testers.  The first ship in the game to get a permanent camouflage, before camouflage was even a thing.  If you're going by the number 1 best dispersion, 58 meters maximum.  You can equip her with Aiming System Modification 1 and 0.  Both of those together give the ship -47% dispersion to main battery.

Members
1,296 posts
867 battles
8 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

Im fairly sure a Nagato running accuracy module has one of, if not the lowest dispersion per kilometer values in the game for a battleship. That's just from memory though, could be totally wrong. Of course Cesare will toss that out of the window if it releases as-is.

A few months back someone did a plot of some dispersion versus distance charts for several BBs, and it seems that BBs of a particular nation line has the same dispersion-to-distance curve (it's linear in any case). If you want to verify that quickly by using different combos of fire control upgrades and range mods (leave out any aiming systems or APR2 for USN BBs to remove variables) and plot their dispersion-to-distance curves.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,278 posts
8,525 battles
5 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

A few months back someone did a plot of some dispersion versus distance charts for several BBs, and it seems that BBs of a particular nation line has the same dispersion-to-distance curve (it's linear in any case). If you want to verify that quickly by using different combos of fire control upgrades and range mods (leave out any aiming systems or APR2 for USN BBs to remove variables) and plot their dispersion-to-distance curves.

I believe it was LWM who did that comparison chart. I'm on my phone now so I can't really look for it. From memory the Germans and Americans as nations had the worst dispersion, followed by the British and then the Japanese.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles
10 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

I believe it was LWM who did that comparison chart. I'm on my phone now so I can't really look for it. From memory the Germans and Americans as nations had the worst dispersion, followed by the British and then the Japanese.

The question then becomes what about the "usefulness" of the dispersion?  For instance, I've found that the Japanese battleships; while firing tight groups; tend to disperse in a sort of oval pattern.  Meanwhile, the American battleships tend to disperse more overall, but do so in more of a horizontal plane, with most of the shells hitting along the waterline.  

Granted this is all anecdotal and no substitute for hard evidence, but I've found the latter to be more effective than the former.

[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,514 battles
25 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

It's not bad, (10.5), but even Hindenburg run 8.15, Zao gets down to 7.5 and some of the DD@s go way lower. nagato's still a BB. Accurate and BB don't go together at all.

[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,514 battles
1 minute ago, DerKrampus said:

The question then becomes what about the "usefulness" of the dispersion?  For instance, I've found that the Japanese battleships; while firing tight groups; tend to disperse in a sort of oval pattern.  Meanwhile, the American battleships tend to disperse more overall, but do so in more of a horizontal plane, with most of the shells hitting along the waterline.  

Granted this is all anecdotal and no substitute for hard evidence, but I've found the latter to be more effective than the former.

Nope your spot on. The listed in game dispersion is just the horizontal. Vertical dispersion is unlisted but IJN ships have a lot of it, brits have the best according to Octavian.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,278 posts
8,525 battles
6 minutes ago, Carl said:

It's not bad, (10.5), but even Hindenburg run 8.15, Zao gets down to 7.5 and some of the DD@s go way lower. nagato's still a BB. Accurate and BB don't go together at all.

I mean, is specifically stated "battleships" for a reason. Nagato hits more often than not compared to something like Colorado.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles
Just now, Carl said:

Nope your spot on. The listed in game dispersion is just the horizontal. Vertical dispersion is unlisted but IJN ships have a lot of it, brits have the best according to Octavian.

I'd like to add that a bit of dispersion isn't necessarily a bad thing.  While it lowers your ability to sink a ton of shells into a single small point, it does help add some wiggle-room for things like speed estimation.  In many cases, it's better to hit with 2 or 3 shots consistently per salvo, as opposed to either hitting or missing with the entire spread.  

It's a bit like a shotgun.  You can have a tight choke or an open choke, which will cause the pattern of pellets to tighten or loosen, respectively.  A tight choke is good for maintaining shot density at distance, or for putting a lot of lead into a single small target, such as when hunting turkeys.  On the other hand, if you're shooting sporting clays, you want a wider choke that's going to send a larger pattern of shot up into the air.  That maximizes your chances of hitting and breaking that clay with at least one pellet.