You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KnightFandragon

What hits for 40,000!?

32 comments in this topic

Members
2,980 posts
1,448 battles

Seriously.....so, out of a KGV, Warspite, Kaga, what the hell hit me for 40,000 in a single blow, plus KOd my engine(literally the 1st time ive EVER Seen my engine get smacked in an Alabama, or any BBS). 

I've been citadelled before, but wow, never for that damn much.  Didnt think the KGV or Warspiddle had the kinda penetration needed to nuke my sides.....never been engine hit by ship shells....wow....

Is that the OPness of an AP bomb?  Dear god.....

IDK Why people are so into this 1 shot stuff...its very abrupt and doesnt make for good gameplay...just out of the blue you blow up...dayum.

• Cool 1

Members
3,653 posts
7,072 battles

I mean, on paper both Warspite and KGV can penetrate your belt and citadel you, particularly from longer ranges...

2d4.png

Wot? It can happen!

Edited by The_first_harbinger

Members
2,980 posts
1,448 battles

36 minutes ago, paradat said:

Detonation ?

BBs detonate?  Wonder where it got hit...

32 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Was there a Graf Zepplin in the battle? That's the usual culprit recently...

Lol no, there was a Kaga......though I didnt think any of its planes were still alive, since early on our Kaga along with my AL shot down like 4 squadrons of planes...(does Kaga have AP bombs?)

I mean, I wasnt paying attention, I was going like 1/4 speed just shooting a broadside NC, killed it, it didnt shoot, since it was shooting our NC, it blew up then a few seconds later....-40,000....like wth..

I scanned around and the only AI ship left was the Kaga...

Maybe a defiant last lucky salvo from the Warspite or KGV.....but they still had an NC sitting beside them, I was like 10-14km off.

Edited by KnightFandragon

[HINON]
Supertester
21,725 posts
15,446 battles

Probably just got a few battleship AP shells into your citadel.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,205 posts
11,379 battles

Kaga only has HE bombs, I doubt he got that lucky. You'd have seen his torps, so I can rule those out.

KG5, maybe, but the I'd make my bet it was the Warspite, 15 inch guns might just do it.

Beta Testers
1,369 posts
16,554 battles

Wait until your full health yammy gets nuked in one volley.

Detonations are real.

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
4 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Detonations are real.

I will cry.

[EGIRL]
Members
585 posts
5,628 battles
28 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Detonations are real.

Can confirm...and not just by shells.  Full health FDG hit by one aerial torp at the very start of a match.  Boom.  I actually thought it was funny.

Members
466 posts
2,884 battles
1 hour ago, KnightFandragon said:

Seriously.....so, out of a KGV, Warspite, Kaga, what the hell hit me for 40,000 in a single blow, plus KOd my engine(literally the 1st time ive EVER Seen my engine get smacked in an Alabama, or any BBS). 

I've been citadelled before, but wow, never for that damn much.  Didnt think the KGV or Warspiddle had the kinda penetration needed to nuke my sides.....never been engine hit by ship shells....wow....

IDK Why people are so into this 1 shot stuff...its very abrupt and doesnt make for good gameplay...just out of the blue you blow up...dayum.

You underestimate the damage of citadels. If that's the highest you've ever been hit for, consider yourself lucky.

Both ships have more than enough penetration to go through your belt. Warspite has 381mm guns, while KGV has 356mm guns. Your Alabama only has 310mm of main belt armor. Guns can also pen far higher than their own caliber at close range, but that's just overkill here.

Let's take a look at the Warspite, since that's the lowest tier.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Warspite

The maximum damage listed for each shell is the damage a single citadel hit with that shell would do. Looking at the AP shells (as the HE obviously can't pen your belt), we get a value of 11,400. The Warspite has 8 guns. That's a potential 91,200 damage, a complete deletion if every shell from it's salvo citadels you. 40,000 would only be 4 shells.

Now let's look at the KGV.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:King_George_V

The maximum damage listed for this ship's AP shell is 10,500. This means that if every shell from its salvo hit your citadel, you'd take a whopping 105,000 damage. (More than enough to delete you). Only 4 of those 10 guns needed to citadel to hit that 40,000 damage number.

This is why you should never show broadside, angled you armor is more than enough to bounce the shells from both these ships.

As for the Kaga, unless you were hit by torpedoes it can't deal that much damage. Just your standard IJN HE dive bombers here.

Edited by Speedstang

[SYN]
Members
15,400 posts
12,571 battles

I don't think KGV's guns have the penetration or accuracy to hit an Alabama for 40k in a single salvo... unless it's point blank range

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles

Starting at Tier V, most battleships get a maximum listed AP shell damage of 9,900 to 10,900.  The higher the tier, the more damage.  A citadel hit always does the maximum listed shell damage.  So in answer to your question, most battleships at Tier V and above can do around 40,000 damage with only four citadel hits and any of them can with five citadel hits in a single salvo.  The KGV AP does 10,500, so four citadel hits in a single salvo would actually result in 42,000 damage.

Penetrating hits (with no damage saturation) will do 1/3 of the shell's listed damage.  Thus, a penetrating hit from the KGV will do 3,500.  An over penetrating hit will result in 1,050 damage.  The KGV has a 2 x 4 plus 1 x 2 gun configuration, giving it a total broadside of 10 guns.  Thus, any of the following results of a KGV salvo could result in 40,000 damage assuming no damage saturation reductions for the penetrating hits:

Citadels Pens Overpens Guns Required Total Damage
4     4 of 10 42000
3 3   6 of 10 42000
3 2 2 7 of 10 40600
2 6   8 of 10 42000
3 1 5 9 of 10 40250
2 5 2 9 of 10 40600
1 9   10 of 10 42000

Obviously, 5 citadel hits would do more than 40000 damage, but the idea here is the minimum needed, not to list every possible combination doing over 40,000 damage.

There is no combination of hits (for the KGV) in a single salvo that can achieve 40,000 damage without at least one citadel hit, and obviously, the fewer citadel hits, the more other hit types are required.  This makes it increasingly harder to achieve that kind of damage as the number of hits required goes up.  For instance, getting only one citadel hit and nine penetrating hits is not impossible, but it almost may as well be.

There is one caveat to this: detonations.  A detonation occurs on a magazine hit based on damage the magazine has received and some RNG.  This simulates the real life possibility that a magazine hit could sink a ship (e.g., the Hood and many, many others).  A single shell or torpedo is capable of causing a detonation, but it is more likely to occur after several hits to the magazine, and the chances can be reduced with the -70% chance module and completely eliminated with the detonation flags.  It is also far likelier to occur with, say, a DD than with a BB, but even a single hit can cause a detonation and instantly delete any ship in the game.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,428 battles
2 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

At the end of a battle, in the part where it shows the details of damage you dealt it will also show a breakdown of damage types done to you. If you mouse over it, it will show you who did what with how many shells/bombs/torps and which types.

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,368 posts
12,850 battles

detonated a fletcher in my Hiddy's HE from 19-20km range, shooting from 1 cap point into another cap point. I will call it Pro Shots (the forces are with me last night). Boom wipe him out. I did said sorry to him

Members
225 posts
9,087 battles

It's understandable to be alarmed. I'm sure the Hood I once deleted with my Missouri sans detonation reacted similarly. :fish_cute_2:

[RKLES]
Members
10,257 posts
11,956 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Probably just got a few battleship AP shells into your citadel.

I agree Citadel hits can take a lot of damage out of you.

Beta Testers
1,369 posts
16,554 battles
2 hours ago, Uber_Ghost said:

Can confirm...and not just by shells.  Full health FDG hit by one aerial torp at the very start of a match.  Boom.  I actually thought it was funny.

Yup as did I, pretty much the only thing you can do!

Members
2,980 posts
1,448 battles
19 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

It's great when you do it though

QkU2ODB.jpg

Honestly, id be ok with only racking up a bunch of 33% penetrations, over any of the one hit kill crap, or super duper 1 shot damage.....

Make it feel like a naval game, where we are lobbing shells back n forth and the team that focuses fire and teamworks better wins...not the side that happens to get the most lucky citadels and torp strikes...

[WOLF3]
Members
22,010 posts
20,256 battles

You showed broadsides.

Never go full in showing broadsides.

Even German BBs with their turtlebacks will eat tons and tons of penetration damage instead of citadels.

7 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

At the end of a battle, in the part where it shows the details of damage you dealt it will also show a breakdown of damage types done to you. If you mouse over it, it will show you who did what with how many shells/bombs/torps and which types.

^^^ This also.  Usually one should be able to tell who sank them in the match and how they did so even before the battle ended.  But doing what Captain_Dorja said will remove all doubt and get you more complete answers.  You also may be surprised on who was wearing you down.  Sometimes it's not who you think it was.  They were getting away with it and you either were never aware of it or you were too distracted to notice it.

Members
2,980 posts
1,448 battles
20 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You showed broadsides.

Never go full in showing broadsides.

Even German BBs with their turtlebacks will eat tons and tons of penetration damage instead of citadels.

^^^ This also.  Usually one should be able to tell who sank them in the match and how they did so even before the battle ended.  But doing what Captain_Dorja said will remove all doubt and get you more complete answers.  You also may be surprised on who was wearing you down.  Sometimes it's not who you think it was.  They were getting away with it and you either were never aware of it or you were too distracted to notice it.

I wasnt showing full broadside, just not enough angle I guess.  I slowed down to like 1/4 speed and kinda turned in towards the row of ships, but I guess not enough.  It didnt sink my ship, but yeah, when I didnt even see shell trails or any kind of sound that sounded like incoming shells, then WHAM, it was a serious wth moment....normally one can hear the woosh sound of incoming shells and you know your in for it....

Which is the only reason I found it so odd, I heard nothing then BOOM....+Engine/rudder hit in a BB, literally never have seen that before...

Lol, and/random question....off topic to this, but what are the holes along the side of the Alabama hull?  Not port holes, they are what?  Bilge pump holes or something?  When it has the AL skin off, its covered in holes and rust, like it was shelled to crap...

Edited by KnightFandragon

[WOLF3]
Members
22,010 posts
20,256 battles
10 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

I wasnt showing full broadside, just not enough angle I guess.  I slowed down to like 1/4 speed and kinda turned in towards the row of ships, but I guess not enough.  It didnt sink my ship, but yeah, when I didnt even see shell trails or any kind of sound that sounded like incoming shells, then WHAM, it was a serious wth moment....normally one can hear the woosh sound of incoming shells and you know your in for it....

Which is the only reason I found it so odd, I heard nothing then BOOM....+Engine/rudder hit in a BB, literally never have seen that before...

Lol, and/random question....off topic to this, but what are the holes along the side of the Alabama hull?  Not port holes, they are what?  Bilge pump holes or something?  When it has the AL skin off, its covered in holes and rust, like it was shelled to crap...

I've citadeled ships from their backsides before.  It happens.  Hell, you can take Yamato and she'll citadel ships from the bow.

Anyways, in the future, you need to do what Captain_Dorja said, take a look at this page of your results:

Osw4ODP.jpg

Hover your cursor over the "Artillery" section under "Damage Received" and it will list whoever damaged you, the shells / torpedoes / bombs that hit, and the appropriate damage you took from each.  Also, enable replays.  Sometimes it may be a good learning tool to see exactly what went wrong, and how it went down.  Because during a match, you may have been too distracted by something to see the threat.  Seeing the replay may let you learn.  Not only in seeing what people did to you, but also going over your thinking process leading up to disaster.  Because it's often one bad decision that you do that puts you in a spot where everyone crucifies you.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
2,980 posts
1,448 battles
33 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I've citadeled ships from their backsides before.  It happens.  Hell, you can take Yamato and she'll citadel ships from the bow.

Anyways, in the future, you need to do what Captain_Dorja said, take a look at this page of your results:

Osw4ODP.jpg

Hover your cursor over the "Artillery" section under "Damage Received" and it will list whoever damaged you, the shells / torpedoes / bombs that hit, and the appropriate damage you took from each.  Also, enable replays.  Sometimes it may be a good learning tool to see exactly what went wrong, and how it went down.  Because during a match, you may have been too distracted by something to see the threat.  Seeing the replay may let you learn.  Not only in seeing what people did to you, but also going over your thinking process leading up to disaster.  Because it's often one bad decision that you do that puts you in a spot where everyone crucifies you.

It'd be great if this game made replays as simple as 'check yes or no', like WoT....

And thats how we get the broken down details for what hit us?  Hovering over the arty thing?  I looked at it in another battle and was like "and the details are where"?  It wasnt broken down like the credits and xp screen. 

I will have to do all that then.  Info is useful.  Typically it all goes south when I push up to far, or become the only target, or I go on the forward side of an island instead of the back.