You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Doomlock

Akizuki is a blast to play, especially thanks to the new IFHE changes

71 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,616 battles

Hi guys!

Once again I am loving the Akizuki. She is quickly becoming my favorite destroyer to play in WoWs.

Had an epic game last night:

EelADOQ.png

Other results in spoiler.

Spoiler

HUP0iGw.png

NEQT2Of.png

rkRZsPs.png

As you can see. I love this bote. I can't wait to get a full captain on her and make her really shine! :Smile_medal:

For those that want to, here is the replay: https://replayswows.com/replay/6059

Fair winds and following seas captains! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,211 posts
3,895 battles

I still roll out Akizuki now and then, but after playing the Russian destroyers, her speed really frustrates me.

Here's hoping WG remembers this line exists and gives us a 41 knot tier 9 Super Akizuki sooner or later.

I can easily see the tier 9 being a version of Akizuki with Shimakaze's power plant (which was the plan for Super Akizuki, projected speed of 39-40 knots) and the tier 10 being literally an IJN Khabarovsk with 1 torpedo launcher and 4x 12.7cm DP autoloading DP guns.

Edited by AraAragami

Members
5,717 posts
6,524 battles

I still want to play Akizuki, I like using the 100mm mounts on Harekaze. But I just can't ever seem to stomach playing the Shiratsuyu. That ship has truly been an exercise in frustration, grinding through it. Only relatively recently have I managed to drag Shira's WR up over 50%. Luckily I don't believe I have a lot of exp left to get to Akizuki, but it's still hard for me to commit to taking Shira out of port because I want to maintain an above 50% WR, but the W/L ratio is so close that a small losing streak will send her back below 50, and send my frustration through the roof.

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,616 battles
33 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

I still roll out Akizuki now and then, but after playing the Russian destroyers, her speed really frustrates me.

Here's hoping WG remembers this line exists and gives us a 41 knot tier 9 Super Akizuki sooner or later.

I can easily see the tier 9 being a version of Akizuki with Shimakaze's power plant (which was the plan for Super Akizuki, projected speed of 39-40 knots) and the tier 10 being literally an IJN Khabarovsk with 1 torpedo launcher and 4x 12.7cm DP autoloading DP guns.

What 12.7 DP autoloaders are there? I am not aware of any, not that I know, I haven't looked into IJN weapons yet.

Don't fret, there was a recent FB Q&A that reaffirmed that they plan on finishing the line. 

I am totally down with Super Akizuki, though I thought her projected speed was 35 knots? That and a quint or sextuple launcher would be awesome. And I have seen a line drawing of Super Aki or a design similar with the one quint/sextuple torp launcher and 10 x 10cm/65 Type 98s in a Fletcher format.

Not sure if the design is genuine, but I'd love to see it.:Smile_great:

[RKLES]
Members
10,257 posts
11,956 battles
43 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Hi guys!

Once again I am loving the Akizuki. She is quickly becoming my favorite destroyer to play in WoWs.

Had an epic game last night:

EelADOQ.png

Other results in spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

HUP0iGw.png

NEQT2Of.png

rkRZsPs.png

As you can see. I love this bote. I can't wait to get a full captain on her and make her really shine! :Smile_medal:

For those that want to, here is the replay: https://replayswows.com/replay/6059

Fair winds and following seas captains! :Smile_honoring:

Lol is that a DD or a Cruiser!?!?!?! :Smile_teethhappy:

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,616 battles
16 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

But I just can't ever seem to stomach playing the Shiratsuyu. That ship has truly been an exercise in frustration, grinding through it. Only relatively recently have I managed to drag Shira's WR up over 50%. Luckily I don't believe I have a lot of exp left to get to Akizuki, but it's still hard for me to commit to taking Shira out of port because I want to maintain an above 50% WR, but the W/L ratio is so close that a small losing streak will send her back below 50, and send my frustration through the roof.

Hey, if you ever need a div mate to help you out you can hit me up. 

As for Shiratsuyu, she can be difficult, especially considering the nerf she got. Don't just lose hope however, she is mean in the right hands and even with the nerf, she is capable of pulling off 16 torpedo salvos.

I would need to re buy her in order to fully understand playing her again. But I will say, to me, Akizuki is worth it. 100% worth it.

[-K-]
Members
7,082 posts
11,627 battles

I don't play Akizuki like a regular IJN DD, but rather a DD hunter.  She absolutely melts any other DDs within close range that don't have any support.

[ONE]
Members
639 posts
10,736 battles

I need to take mine out for another spin and make sure I have the skill

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,211 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, Doomlock said:

What 12.7 DP autoloaders are there? I am not aware of any, not that I know, I haven't looked into IJN weapons yet.

10cm 4x2 in tier 8, 33 knots

10cm 4x2 in tier 9, 40 knots

12.7cm in tier 10, 40 knots

I don't think an actual autoloader 12.7cm existed for the IJN, but the gun size increase is a natural progression for the line.

A faster-reloading 8-barrel Shimakaze with only 1 torpedo launcher is a good fit for tier 10. It's basically Khabarovsk with fewer, but better, torpedoes and a lower top speed and no 50mm armor plating.

Edited by AraAragami

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,365 battles

Much as I might want Akizuki, I just can't bring myself to play the ships leading up to it.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,585 posts
11,538 battles

I still don't find IFHE worth the cost. Too many other extremely useful skills to have.

If I need pen I push the "2" key. If I need fire I push "1".

I've seen far too many Akizukis die while trying to be a "DD hunter". It just isn't a reliable tactic until late game. Odds are that DD WON'T be alone, and by the point you figure that out you are already screwed.

/Still going back and forth with Harikaze and the 100mm vs 5"/54.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,585 posts
11,538 battles
1 minute ago, IronWolfV said:

Much as I might want Akizuki, I just can't bring myself to play the ships leading up to it.

Thus why I ground through the Shiratsuyu as fast as I could. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,365 battles
7 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

10cm 4x2 in tier 8, 33 knots

10cm 4x2 in tier 9, 40 knots

12.7cm in tier 10, 40 knots

I don't think an actual autoloader 12.7cm existed for the IJN, but the gun size increase is a natural progression for the line.

A faster-reloading 8-barrel Shimakaze with only 1 torpedo launcher is a good fit for tier 10. It's basically Khabarovsk with fewer, but better, torpedoes and a lower top speed and no 50mm armor plating.

Still waiting on the Somers/Porter classes to show up.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,365 battles
Just now, HazardDrake said:

Thus why I ground through the Shiratsuyu as fast as I could. 

Just can't do it. Currently sitting at tier 6 with both lines. Just after the one legged *** kicking, I just can't do it.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,211 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Still waiting on the Somers/Porter classes to show up.

Isn't one of those in the PanAsian line? Have fun with that if you can't even stand destroyers past tier 5.

[CVA16]
Members
3,802 posts
12,334 battles
1 hour ago, Doomlock said:

and even with the nerf, she is capable of pulling off 16 torpedo salvos.

Those big salvos still may only get you one hit (or none)  Without smoke you have to be extremely cautious of getting close to the enemy. Very high luck/dumb target factor in long range hits.

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,365 battles
15 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Isn't one of those in the PanAsian line? Have fun with that if you can't even stand destroyers past tier 5.

No. Most of them are Russian or British. I don't think there's a single USN DD sell off in the lineup.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,211 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, IronWolfV said:

No. Most of them are Russian or British. I don't think there's a single USN DD sell off in the lineup.

I'm pretty sure the tier 8 and the tier 10 are Benson and Somers classes. Could be misremembering the specific ship but I do recall several threads complaining that Asia was getting a particular US destroyer before the US was.

Alpha Tester
3,959 posts
4,920 battles

The 12.7cm/50 Type 1 is the most probable gun if you're looking for a modern 12.7cm IJN AA gun. It's very comparable to the USN 5"/54 in terms of gun capabilities.

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,365 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

I'm pretty sure the tier 8 and the tier 10 are Benson and Somers classes. Could be misremembering the specific ship but I do recall several threads complaining that Asia was getting a particular US destroyer before the US was.

No you're right but the tier 10 isn't a Somers. Its a Gearing. Only has 6 guns in 3 turrets, not 5.

[CVA16]
Members
3,802 posts
12,334 battles

As an observation for the original poster. How do you get 497 hits but ONLY 8 fires? (assuming you were mostly shooting IFHE) Thats only a 1.6% fire rate.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,211 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

As an observation for the original poster. How do you get 497 hits but ONLY 8 fires? (assuming you were mostly shooting IFHE) Thats only a 1.6% fire rate.

Bad luck. Akizuki's fire rate is as feast-or-famine as any other IJN destroyer's torpedo hits.

Alpha Tester
3,959 posts
4,920 battles
Just now, IronWolfV said:

No you're right but the tier 10 isn't a Somers. Its a Gearing. Only has 6 guns in 3 turrets, not 5.

No, the tier 10 is a Sumner. And the T9 is a Fletcher.