You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
comtedumas

IFHE for German secondaries since patch changes

9 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,685 posts
7,176 battles

Has anyone done any new testing on IFHE for German BBs since WG changed the range and fire chance a few patches ago?  

Edited by comtedumas

Beta Testers
393 posts
3,694 battles
20 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

Has anyone done any new testing on IFHE for German BBs since WG changed the range and fire chance a few patches ago?  

I haven't tested it, but for a 4-point skill, I don't think it's worth to have. For the 105mm, even with IFHE, you can only damage the superstructure. You should only test it on Gnei or Kurfurst (all 128mm guns). And with IFHE, your chance of setting stuff on fire is going to be really bad. Secondaries do damage with fires, not with direct damages.

Plus, you only spend like 30 seconds of glorious knife fights in a match, and not every match you will use secondaries, hence it's not worth to invest that many skill points.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,096 posts
12,348 battles
6 minutes ago, theanhtb said:

I haven't tested it, but for a 4-point skill, I don't think it's worth to have. For the 105mm, even with IFHE, you can only damage the superstructure. You should only test it on Gnei or Kurfurst (all 128mm guns). And with IFHE, your chance of setting stuff on fire is going to be really bad. Secondaries do damage with fires, not with direct damages.

Plus, you only spend like 30 seconds of glorious knife fights in a match, and not every match you will use secondaries, hence it's not worth to invest that many skill points.

You don't take IFHE on any BB for the BB fight but instead for any cruisers that come in range. The problem with taking it is it impacts your main guns too.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,477 posts
10,386 battles

German secondaries still melt things, just from further out.

And IFHE is really more for the main battery, which German and now UK BB's can get some terrifying pen numbers with HE for citadels and knocking out turrets or causing detonations (with their bigger blast radius that can run down the hit point pool on that). And help cut back on overpens especially on thinner armoured cruisers.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,965 posts
9,582 battles
16 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

German secondaries still melt things, just from further out.

And IFHE is really more for the main battery, which German and now UK BB's can get some terrifying pen numbers with HE for citadels and knocking out turrets or causing detonations (with their bigger blast radius that can run down the hit point pool on that). And help cut back on overpens especially on thinner armoured cruisers.

No intent of respeccing my KMS BB captain with IFHE, but on the other hand, a UK BB with IFHE sounds like it'll be a wicked time vs. other cruisers! I mean, just the contact makes the explosion, so no overpens as with AP.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,477 posts
10,386 battles
1 minute ago, Reymu said:

No intent of respeccing my KMS BB captain with IFHE, but on the other hand, a UK BB with IFHE sounds like it'll be a wicked time vs. other cruisers! I mean, just the contact makes the explosion, so no overpens as with AP.

Yeah, wouldn't go and re-spec captains but yeah, unless I missed a change they have the same caliber/4 pen German BB's have, with bigger guns. So a ship like Nelson you know the pen is 131.95 mm of armour with IFHE. that much pen with the ability that hits still knock out AA, torp tubes as it is no enough to maybe disable main turrets summed up with a simple emoticon -

:Smile_trollface:

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles
1 hour ago, theanhtb said:

And with IFHE, your chance of setting stuff on fire is going to be really bad. Secondaries do damage with fires, not with direct damages.

Thats the problem, its really hard to secundaries start fires after the nerf. 

Members
46 posts
8,970 battles

I run a full secondary build GK with IFHE. I really like it, suits my aggressive BB playstyle. The secondaires do a lot of damage. Im getting some double strikes and close quarters expert achievements almost every game. I am probably averaging 45,000 damage with the secondary batteries, not including fire damage. 

Prior to this build i used a survival build but it just wasnt nearly as fun. The GK is incredibly tanky to begin with so focusing on secondary guns is ok in my opinion.

[NH]
Members
872 posts

I did a brief test last night in the training room with Tirpitz vs NC. IFHE yielded 28k damage at 250 secondary hits where without it only 14k damage. The problem is seeing the chance to fire differences. When using IFHE you cant use DE on a manual secondary build so you lose 3% chance to fire. I actually started more fires using IFHE instead of DE. Not sure if that was just luck or if it has something to do with the mechanics. 

Do shatters and bounces have the same chance to fire roll as a pen?