You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
abyssofthetriffid

Game engine line of sight is broken.

42 comments in this topic

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles

The game engines line of sight is broken.

The pop up ships in front of your own ship 10 feet away is simply silly.

The invisible bbs are also silly when you are a dd.

I actually ran into a atlanta in my dd and it popped into view spitting distance away with no warning beforehand.

The line of sight is either utterly delayed or simply broken.

It needs a fix the popping into view ships is simply silly.

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
7,504 battles

10 ft?  Thanks for the exaggeration.  10km?  It's possible now but without telling us what ship it was...

Line of Sight, Detectability, and Concealment are all GAME MECHANICS.  So that ship popping up could be easily spec'd for such mechanics and that pesky DD, stealthy Cruiser, or British BB can get close without being spotted.

Islands block line of sight (thankfully), so that Atlanta you ran into...was hiding perfectly. I'm imagining this is the story.  

Edited.

Edited by Sock5
  • Cool 1

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
Just now, Sock5 said:

10 ft?  Thanks for the exaggeration.  10km?  It's possible now.
Line of Sight, Detectability, and Concealment are all GAME MECHANICS.
Islands block line of sight, so that Atlanta you ran into...was hiding perfectly. 

Less than 10 feet.

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
7,504 battles
3 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Less than 10 feet.

Completely impossible as there's an auto-detection at ~2km.  Unless you're talking about allies and you're field of view when scope'd up.

Edited by Sock5

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
1 minute ago, Sock5 said:

Completely impossible as there's an auto-detection at ~2km.  Unless you're talking about allies and you're field of view when scope'd up.

Obviously then the game engine failed.

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
7,504 battles

Do you have a replay of said engine failing?  Or do we only have your word to take into account?

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,625 battles

The game engine is fine. When this happens you need to ask, OK what is going on? Is there a smokescreen you were charging? That conceals the enemy until you are practically right on top of them. Were they around an island? That will also do the same. 

Point is, the spotting and line of sight mechanics are fine and work correctly. Circumstances change and situations vary, but the mechanic remains the same.

2 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Less than 10 feet.

Just now, abyssofthetriffid said:

No it did not, 10ft would literally be on top of you about to ram you. So no, it is not 10 ft. The game engine did not fail, you are telling us a story with no screenshots or replays. I cannot accurately determine what happened without visual proof 

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
1 minute ago, Doomlock said:

The game engine is fine. When this happens you need to ask, OK what is going on? Is there a smokescreen you were charging? That conceals the enemy until you are practically right on top of them. Were they around an island? That will also do the same. 

Point is, the spotting and line of sight mechanics are fine and work correctly. Circumstances change and situations vary, but the mechanic remains the same.

No it did not, 10ft would literally be on top of you about to ram you. So no, it is not 10 ft. The game engine did not fail, you are telling us a story with no screenshots or replays. I cannot accurately determine what happened without visual proof 

Almost ram distance yes indeed there was a small rock system and he came round but i never seen this ship in any form and i was at slow speed going into cover so i was in open water going into cover at slow speed and the atlanta came into view popped up at almost ram distance.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,490 battles

tumblr_inline_n9ies8X9Qe1rvz2xd.gif

16 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Do you ever post a thread that isn't whining about something?

• Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,629 posts
2 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

there was a small rock system and he came round

Oh hey look you explained it yourself. He was in cover so you couldn't see him and apparently no one else was in a position to spot him. Mystery solved. 

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

tumblr_inline_n9ies8X9Qe1rvz2xd.gif

Do you ever post a thread that isn't whining about something?

You read the topic if your not happy keep away from my name.

Thanks.

I pay to be here do you?

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
3 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Oh hey look you explained it yourself. He was in cover so you couldn't see him and apparently no one else was in a position to spot him. Mystery solved. 

Yes but the engine is really broken.

[NERO]
Members
3,629 posts

I pay to be here do you?

You pay to use a free forum? Man you're getting ripped off... 

• Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,629 posts
Just now, abyssofthetriffid said:

Yes but the engine is really broken.

No, that is how it's supposed to be. Ships in cover aren't visually spotted by you. If they aren't spotted by anyone else either, then you won't see them till they leave cover. That's how ambushes work. 

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
4 minutes ago, Sock5 said:

Here's something that would be worth a read.  It'll help.

Thanks but what a joke eh.

If the destroyer and the cruiser are on the same team while the battleship is on the opposing team, the cruiser will spot the battleship for the destroyer but it will only appear as an outline in the destroyer's minimap and not rendered in its main view.

What?????????????i can hardly see the minimap.

That sounds like a cheap cop out in game mechanics.

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,625 battles
11 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Almost ram distance yes indeed there was a small rock system and he came round but i never seen this ship in any form and i was at slow speed going into cover so i was in open water going into cover at slow speed and the atlanta came into view popped up at almost ram distance.

Then you have answered the question. He was behind rocks/islands and was unable to be seen, therefore you saw him as soon as you both rounded the island.

There is no mechanics being abused/not working, they are working correctly.

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
7,504 battles

If the destroyer and the cruiser are on the same team while the battleship is on the opposing team, the cruiser will spot the battleship for the destroyer but it will only appear as an outline in the destroyer's minimap and not rendered in its main view.

If you can't see the minimap you can increase the size of it so it's more easily readable.  

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
Just now, Sock5 said:

If you can't see the minimap you can increase the size of it so it's more easily readable.  

if i make the minimap bigger i cannot play the game.

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
7,504 battles
4 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

if i make the minimap bigger i cannot play the game.

So that means that you either have it on the largest setting, or that you need that little bit more in the corner.

If it's the first, nothing I can do to help you.  If it's the latter, then you can make it larger and adjust the transparency of the minimap to your liking. 

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,625 battles
5 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

The minimap can be made larger by clicking the plus or minus button on the map. 

Every ship has a view range, and a detection range. View range is how far your ship can see allied and enemy ships, detection range is how far away you are spotted by the enemy.

In this case, the cruiser has a longer view range than the destroyer and is seeing the battleship first. 

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
1 minute ago, Sock5 said:

So that means that you either have it on the largest setting, or that you need that little bit more in the corner.

If it's the first, nothing I can do to help you.  If it's the latter, then you can make it larger and adjust the transparency of the minimap to your liking. 

Its on the very minimum setting as small as it will go.

Transparency????????

Never seen any ui settings.

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
7,504 battles
4 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Its on the very minimum setting as small as it will go.

Transparency????????

Never seen any ui settings.

Use the + and - keys to adjust the size.  Suggestion: MAKE IT BIGGER.  You lose out on valuable information if you can't read the thing.  It's so much more valuable than having that little space of water you used to see go away.

On changing the transparency...there's a little gear above the minimap.  Hold CTRL and click it.  You can adjust settings there.

[NERO]
Members
3,629 posts

"This is broken!"
>Explain what's happening
"No it's broken because <reason>!"
>Explain why that's still not broken and how the game works.
"No that's still bad because it's bad and I don't like it!"
>Offer way to adjust the UI to help.
"That won't work!"

Good god, man.