Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pewpewpew42

Funky CV rework idea

11 comments in this topic

[SF-A]
Members
3,156 posts
6,815 battles

I was thinking about carriers, and realized that a big part of the problem is spotting. A good carrier will hard-counter DDs and spot the entire enemy team permanently. What I was thinking was if there was a separate spotting role. Hear me out:

Fighters would no longer spot.

Loaded bombers would still spot, but unloaded bombers won't. This would go for all kinds of bombers

A new plane, spotting planes, would be added. These would be in small flights (1 or 2 planes per squad) and could still spot

Spotting planes would be slightly faster than fighters, but significantly weaker than them by way of hit points. Some kind of new nomenclature would be needed to separate these from ship-launched spotter planes.

Poke holes in this!

Members
1,776 posts
6,729 battles

What instead of removing the spotting mechanics add fuel to aircraft?

This will not only make spotting more difficult, but will also make sniping less favourable. 

Edited by joris92
  • Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Members
1,403 posts
8,150 battles

Because CV is already a type of ship that is very complex. You're talking about adding to that complexity instead of tactfully smoothing out the user experience.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,362 posts

I do a bit of CV work.

A good part of my work in a battle is done before the mission starts, as the timer ticks down to zero.

I'm on the map display, assigning plane groups for the initial spot mission..  when at zero...   It zooms down to the awful 'God' map and messes up what I'm working on.

This is annoying.  If I'm in map mode..  Can I please stay there. 

I only go to ship mode when I'm out of planes, or dodging torps.  I'm only in the 'zoomed map' when I'm making drops or strafes.

And can we PLEASE dim down the auto bomb drop oval...  I can't see what the ship is doing underneath it.

• Cool 2

[5IN]
Supertester
2,047 posts
9,657 battles
20 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

And can we PLEASE dim down the auto bomb drop oval...  I can't see what the ship is doing underneath it.

OMG yes, please!  Even zooming in closer it is still hard to see the ships under the oval.  

B

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

What about this: give CVs a 20 km spotting radius. Anything spotted in that radius works as it does now. Anything outside of that radius shows up as a spotted ship beyond view on the mini-map.

CVs want to spot for the team? Gotta be close enough to get shot.

[MIA-P]
Members
688 posts
7,037 battles

How would I be able to avoid AA if I can't spot ships? The only indicators for when you are taking AA damage is a glitchy slight flashing which only appears if you are looking directly at the squadron and sometimes starts flashing randomly when over friendly ships, and when your planes actually start to die. There is no indication of the strength of the AA you're flying through. If my squadrons can't spot ships, how would I know if I am flying over a minotaur, or a USN DD with defensive AA? How would I be able to avoid their AA bubbles, if I don't know which direction to fly in?

Moreover, your suggestion removes the only protection DDs actually have against being perma-spotted. The only way a CV can use his fighters to perma-spot DDs is by winning complete air superiority. If this occurs, the one remaining defense that DDs have against being spotted are friendly AA bubbles, which apply attrition to the fighter squadrons spotting them, making it harder for them to maintain air superiority and giving the enemy CV a reason to withdraw.

A CV who has successfully beaten the enemy fighters will find it just as easy to use his spotting planes, as he would his dedicated fighters to spot DDs, but now he can afford to sacrifice them to enemy AA because they have no other use. For fighters, spotting is a secondary task, so one doesn't want to lose them while spotting. For spotting aircraft, spotting is the only task, and so it doesn't matter if you sacrifice them by flying into enemy AA bubbles.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,362 posts

And yet another SUPREME ANNOYANCE....

If I select a squad that is dead, not flying, or otherwise engaged...  DO NOT...  repeat DO NOT...  SELECT THE SHIP. 

Just ignore the key.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,205 posts
11,379 battles

There's plenty of holes in this. 

You'd be adding more aircraft to the air, smoking more potato computers.

You'd be adding more aircraft to the CV players workload, which is the core of the skill floor problem with CV's.

This more types of aircraft coming out of a CV's hanger. Meaning even shorter reserves.

It takes long enough to cycle my air wing through my flight deck, last thing CV's need is for this to take longer.

Doesn't matter if an aircraft has dropped it's ordnance, it didn't drop it's radio.

The only general fixes CV's "NEED" is UI improvements, to cut down on the workload of the CV captain, therefore lowering the skill floor to something a player of lesser skill can use effectively.

Getting rid of the "all or nothing" load outs on the UN Navy CV's, and giving them load outs that enable them to do all the jobs that a CV can be required to do.

Sign in to follow this