You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
db4100

This Is Not Fair Match Making WG

41 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
777 posts
11,471 battles

All too often MM will give a team an extra battleship along with an extra destroyer.....How is this a fair match making decision???

Wow, so my team has a two cruiser advantage.....what advantage?  Cruiser have the detectability of battleships and most cruisers have the armor of destroyers.  When a team has an extra battleship (more fire power for the team) and one more stealthy DD (able to sneak around and cap), how in the world is this fair???  Would it be fair if one team got two aircraft carriers and the other team just one?  And to make up for the one less AC, you are given an extra cruiser.

Every time I am on a team that has one less battleship AND one less destroyer.....we lose.  It is the opposite when my team has such an advantage.  I am not exaggerating.

War Gaming.....YOU NEED TO FIX THIS, IT IS TRUELY UNFAIR

[PHASE]
Members
4,970 posts
16,713 battles

Had a good one yesterday in a tier 7-9 match, our one division was Sims, Shira and an Atlanta, theirs was 3x Missouri's. They had a second div too Kii and Amagi. didn't go well for the greens.

[TBW]
Members
8,242 posts
15,011 battles
33 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

didn't go well for the greens.

The colors are off a bit, but I'll run with it. Three or more teams per battle. We have a map called trident already. Three Team Epicenter on Ocean Map, Excellent! As far as Unfair goes meh.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[BWC]
Beta Testers
18 posts
8,416 battles

Did MM set up the Battle of Midway (4 IJN CVs to 3 USN CVs) or the Battle of the Coral Sea (2 IJN CVs and 1 CVL to 2 USN CVs)?  Balance in combat is extremely rare, and specific differences in equipment (not all CVs/BBs/etc. are equal) and often command skill/leadership make the real difference, not exact numbers. 

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,358 battles

Riddle me this. Where did it say a match was going to be perfectly balanced?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

OP is right.  His team got shafted, whether the peanut gallery likes it or not.

• Cool 2

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

give me one good cruiser player any day, and the enemy team's extra BB and DD will wish they stayed in port. having more cruisers is by no means a handicap if those cruiser players play to their strengths.

are you sure you're not ignoring the other common denominator in all those losses? y'know. aside from the team composition.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Cruisers are intended to hunt destroyers. It's what they are good at. A good cruiser captain can bring a world of hurt to a battleship.

This of course only works if the cruiser is aggressive and doesn't waste its time playing peek-a-boom from behind a rock.

A bounty of balance is boring.

Members
270 posts
85 battles

So if i have this right, HE spamming cruisers aren't OP this week. It's so hard to keep up.

[RKLES]
Members
10,199 posts
11,922 battles
14 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

give me one good cruiser player any day, and the enemy team's extra BB and DD will wish they stayed in port. having more cruisers is by no means a handicap if those cruiser players play to their strengths.

are you sure you're not ignoring the other common denominator in all those losses? y'know. aside from the team composition.

8 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Cruisers are intended to hunt destroyers. It's what they are good at. A good cruiser captain can bring a world of hurt to a battleship.

This of course only works if the cruiser is agressive and doesn't waste its time playing peek-a-boom from behind a rock.

A bounty of balance is boring.

6 minutes ago, dangerhamster said:

So if i have this right, HE spamming cruisers aren't OP this week. It's so hard to keep up.

Lol I agree, my first Ranked Season tried BBs and DDs, but progress got stalled for long time, then switched to my Cruisers that were finally Ranked ready and started tearing up the enemy teams since the maps had good cover to sneak around in, I had my hydro for when enemy DD tried to hide so I could light them up, and some good hits from my rapid firing guns was the end of their DDs. And then I would turn enemy BBs into massive floating tiki torches to celebrate.

Cruisers are very flexible in how they can be used, and they carry great early warning systems in the form of long lasting Spotter planes that stay up for 5 minutes or so instead of the 1 minute BBs get. Especially if get 2-4 CAs working together going into a base the poor enemy DDs have to run or else they will get spotted of sunk.

Think main trouble with Cruisers is there is the learning curve for new players so they typically need some BB and DD experience before using Cruisers because Cruisers sort of combines the 2 play styles and you meet in the middle as far as armor protection.

Members
24,009 posts
6,035 battles
3 hours ago, db4100 said:

Would it be fair if one team got two aircraft carriers and the other team just one?  And to make up for the one less AC, you are given an extra cruiser.

Nope, completely unfair. So unfair in fact, that WG made it impossible to happen.

Members
24,009 posts
6,035 battles
49 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

OP is right.  His team got shafted, whether the peanut gallery likes it or not.

Depends on the ships. New York vs. Myoko? No worse than New York vs. Konig

[SYN]
Members
7,603 posts
12,901 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Adapt and overcome. You'll get no sympathy here.

:Smile_great:  Yup.  

Such a small difference in lineup isn't a deciding factor, just deal with it.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
190 posts
4,410 battles

If the battle was domination i agree with you, having an extra destroyer in domination is a huge advantage, standard battles it doesn't matter nearly as much.

[LWA]
Members
777 posts
11,471 battles
14 minutes ago, CesilTheDiddler said:

If the battle was domination i agree with you, having an extra destroyer in domination is a huge advantage, standard battles it doesn't matter nearly as much.

yeah, I agree with this.  

[-K-]
Members
7,062 posts
11,596 battles
55 minutes ago, CesilTheDiddler said:

Agreed as well.  In Domination and/or Epicenter mode, the number of DD's per team should always be equal in order to have fair chance at the objectives.

In Standard mode, it doesn't matter nearly as much if they are off by +1 or -1.

Members
2,756 posts
10,700 battles

Then there are gunboats with horrible detection, like Khabarovsk.  They don’t even play like a DD, yet MM counts them like one.  So you may end up with one Khaba on your team to two Shimas on the other, it’s all good.

[-B2P-]
Members
1,662 posts
20,428 battles
4 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Adapt and overcome. You'll get no sympathy here.

No, I definitely agree with OP. The cruiser vs BB MM isn't a big issue in my opinion, but am imbalance in DDs is definitely an unfair MM especially in domination matches. If there are 3 or 4 caps and one team has 2 DDs and the other has just 1, the 2 DD team has the clear advantage. To people saying ridiculous crap like, "war isn't fair and battles are often lopsided,"- this is a damn video game. We play it to have fun. It's in no way shape or form a war simulator. In war, a fleet of English, American, German, and Japanese ships wouldn't be sailing together to sink another fleet of those same nations. 

Members
1,265 posts
2,399 battles

It happens all the time gonna just have deal. On the plus side it isn't as bad the matches WoT makes 6v1 heavies on ruinberg for example.

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,682 posts
6,777 battles
23 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

No, I definitely agree with OP. The cruiser vs BB MM isn't a big issue in my opinion, but am imbalance in DDs is definitely an unfair MM especially in domination matches. If there are 3 or 4 caps and one team has 2 DDs and the other has just 1, the 2 DD team has the clear advantage. To people saying ridiculous crap like, "war isn't fair and battles are often lopsided,"- this is a damn video game. We play it to have fun. It's in no way shape or form a war simulator. In war, a fleet of English, American, German, and Japanese ships wouldn't be sailing together to sink another fleet of those same nations. 

Theoretical advantage. There are other variables to consider, enough so that you cannot state it is a clear advantage.

• What about player skill?
  • What if one or more of the DDs decides not to cap?
  • What if multiple DDs go to the same cap?
  • Are there CVs in the game, spotting caps?
  • How long do the DDs survive? (Admittedly, you can tie this in to player skill)

I've been in games with a +1 DD advantage on my side and lost, and I am willing to bet money that you have as well. Do you have any hard data to suggest that teams with a +1 DD advantage win more often than not? If so, by how much?

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Any ship that isn't too busy playing Peek-A-Boom can cap. Destroyers just get there sooner. Cruisers survive in the cap zone longer.

Use what you've got. Don't let them define your role.

• Cool 1

[-B2P-]
Members
1,662 posts
20,428 battles
2 hours ago, Brohk said:

Theoretical advantage. There are other variables to consider, enough so that you cannot state it is a clear advantage.

• What about player skill?
  • What if one or more of the DDs decides not to cap?
  • What if multiple DDs go to the same cap?
  • Are there CVs in the game, spotting caps?
  • How long do the DDs survive? (Admittedly, you can tie this in to player skill)

I've been in games with a +1 DD advantage on my side and lost, and I am willing to bet money that you have as well. Do you have any hard data to suggest that teams with a +1 DD advantage win more often than not? If so, by how much?

Well of course there are other variables that come into play.  Of course the team with more skilled players will balance out their DD deficit if not swing the balance in their favor. Of course the DD heavy team will slightly lose some advantage if their DDs derp and go to the same cap. Of course there are going to be examples of the underdog team with fewer DDs pulling through and winning.  The point is if there are two teams with equally skilled players, the team with 2 or 3 DDs has the clear advantage over the team with 1 or 2 DDs in a domination match.

Why bother to ask me if I have hard data concerning +1 DD advantages in domination matches? Where would I find that data? Am I personally supposed to have sat and kept a log of the domination matches I've been in with unbalanced DDs, all in anticipation for this forum thread? It's common sense that in a match for caps, the team with 2 ships that can out conceal every other ship type will have the advantage at capping than the team that just has 1.