You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
abyssofthetriffid

Sims and little mouse.

25 comments in this topic

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles

Sims i dont think people realise how godly this boat can be in the right hands.

Littlemouse's review should mention that the sims is actually 3 different boats in just 1 purchase.

Close in brawler.

Far out mine layer.

Superb and amazing aa boat even vs any tier 9 cv (AA sims rating at 52).

I give you the sims gods boat with thors hammer.

• Cool 1

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,484 posts
6,407 battles

The Sims got a bad reputation during the days when it had only the short-ranged torpedoes...remember this was one of the first ships players could own as a Premium. When the longer ranged torps were added, all people could see were how slow and lower damage the torpedoes were (which didn't match the accepted meta of the day), so the bad rep continued in the minds of those who couldn't understand the strengths of the ship.

Then came Ranked, and the ship's XP mod was blamed for how well the boat did, not that it simply was a great DD (which would fly in face of the accepted 'truth' that the ship was bad). Gradually, though, players in the know learned to appreciate how capable the Sims could be in the right hands, and how strong in general it is.

Now, the proposed changes to smoke may change this ship's value in team or competitive play, but it will still remain a fast, extremely maneuverable DD with fast guns and all-around capability.

Edited by Jakob_Knight
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,975 posts
10,774 battles

I wonder how OP got his conclusion without ever played the Sims, or any non-Russian DD for that matter. Unless he's on a reroll.

Sims is fine, even great at times. I just have other better ships to play. Like Fletcher...

• Cool 1

[KILL]
Members
49 posts
9,900 battles

I have > 1k battles in the Sims with a 53% wr.  I was too lazy to climb the American DD line so I bought into it instead (needless to say in the beginning I wasn't great).  It's a potent little ship; I really like it.  Now that I have a 19pt captain I'm getting better and better.  When I get into a t9 match I play differently but I still feel like I contribute.

• Cool 1

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
1 hour ago, Jakob_Knight said:

The Sims got a bad reputation during the days when it had only the short-ranged torpedoes...remember this was one of the first ships players could own as a Premium. When the longer ranged torps were added, all people could see were how slow and lower damage the torpedoes were (which didn't match the accepted meta of the day), so the bad rep continued in the minds of those who couldn't understand the strengths of the ship.

Then came Ranked, and the ship's XP mod was blamed for how well the boat did, not that it simply was a great DD (which would fly in face of the accepted 'truth' that the ship was bad). Gradually, though, players in the know learned to appreciate how capable the Sims could be in the right hands, and how strong in general it is.

Now, the proposed changes to smoke may change this ship's value in team or competitive play, but it will still remain a fast, extremely maneuverable DD with fast guns and all-around capability.

14 minutes ago, chewonit said:

I wonder how OP got his conclusion without ever played the Sims, or any non-Russian DD for that matter. Unless he's on a reroll.

Sims is fine, even great at times. I just have other better ships to play. Like Fletcher...

Just what ive noted in my few battles ive played lately thats all.

[GLF]
Members
879 posts
13,358 battles

I love my sims <3 

After each battle , looking at the crazy amount of xp earned I'm always like Wha?!  :Smile_amazed:  How?! :Smile_amazed:    I didn't even DO anything this round!  :Smile_medal:

Members
355 posts
5,390 battles

Love me some Sims!  My single favorite and most played ship.

This boat doesn't is all!  I even have a 14 torp hit 164k damage game in her...not the norm but it can happen lol.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,846 posts
17,412 battles

Sims is a great ship.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,090 posts
9,230 battles

The sims really embodies the DD knife fighter. You can duck, dodge,dip and dive like no other in this ship. The guns will never loose tracking and you can dodge all kinds of incoming fire. 

The torps don't have a high alpha but put a flooding flag on and get dot damage going everywhere. All you need is one. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,492 posts
21,819 battles
12 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

is sims stealthy? how many guns? turret traverse?  

IMHO Sims is a mini Atlanta. If you are familiar with USN guns, especially the DDs, you will feel right at home in her. She is pretty good all around, her one downside is her slow torps but they have a really good range.

[GLF]
Members
879 posts
13,358 battles

We did a 3 x Sims division last night.  Many lol's were had.... and the smoke... the smoke for all to inhale and choke on!  

[YYZ]
Members
507 posts
11,379 battles

I actually prefer the 5.5km torps. At 8500 damage the sea mines are almost worthless especially if you are up-tiered. If you are aggressive, the 5.5km/11600 damage are a much, much better fit IMHO. I was fighting a sims in my Leningrad and took two torps from her (less than 5.5km) during a close quarters, smoky fight involving multiple DDs and only lost 1/2 health, if he had the stronger torps I probably would have died instead of killing him. I have only 119 games in her, because I really hate how much she loses speed in hard maneuvering. 

Spoiler

3umwJsD.jpg

Edited by DeadMeat_015

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,492 posts
21,819 battles
10 hours ago, DeadMeat_015 said:

I actually prefer the 5.5km torps. At 8500 damage the sea mines are almost worthless especially if you are up-tiered. If you are aggressive, the 5.5km/11600 damage are a much, much better fit IMHO. I was fighting a sims in my Leningrad and took two torps from her (less than 5.5km) during a close quarters, smoky fight involving multiple DDs and only lost 1/2 health, if he had the stronger torps I probably would have died instead of killing him. I have only 119 games in her, because I really hate how much she loses speed in hard maneuvering.

Probably just a preference thing, I like the sea mines. They served me well in ranked and even managed to torp a DD while fighting for a cap. Just like being able to launch before being spotted is all.

[Y0L0]
Members
9,932 posts
14,349 battles

sims is decent DD but only it does take good skills.      it is capable, but its primary role is to kill enemy DDs first and support the fleet with smokes and such.      

If sim lose to leningrad,  it is all on the driver. 

[-GPS-]
Members
2,834 posts
31,184 battles

The 6.6 km Concealment and the slow, weak "water mine" torps weaken the Sims. However, she is incredibly agile and the turrets spin at Minotaur-like speed. The AA is nice, but "mini-Atlanta" is overstating her AA strength. An AA spec Farragut or Benson has significantly better AA. 

Two things make Sims great. First, she excels with the same captain skills as any Tier 5-10 USN DD making her an excellent trainer. Contrast that with Belfast which really needs a dedicated captain to get the best performance. Second, that hidden Base XP multiplier is great. Throw on flags and camo, then watch even mediocre games yield good results. If you have a 19-point captain available you can get lots of Elite Commander XP. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,492 posts
21,819 battles
14 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

The 6.6 km Concealment and the slow, weak "water mine" torps weaken the Sims. However, she is incredibly agile and the turrets spin at Minotaur-like speed. The AA is nice, but "mini-Atlanta" is overstating her AA strength. An AA spec Farragut or Benson has significantly better AA. 

Two things make Sims great. First, she excels with the same captain skills as any Tier 5-10 USN DD making her an excellent trainer. Contrast that with Belfast which really needs a dedicated captain to get the best performance. Second, that hidden Base XP multiplier is great. Throw on flags and camo, then watch even mediocre games yield good results. If you have a 19-point captain available you can get lots of Elite Commander XP. 

Ahh meant the guns, not the AA. Matter of fact I have no clue what the AA ratings of any of my DDs are.... Not something I pay much attention to. 

[GLF]
Members
879 posts
13,358 battles
3 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

AA spec Farragut or Benson has significantly better AA. 

Check your stats.  15% is not that significant for Benson, especially considering tier.   Farragut AA is kinda meh.  

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,890 posts
5,530 battles
4 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

When many say "Mini Atlanta" most are referring to the insane turret traverse speed, fast reload, and pumpkin chucker level of ballistics that allow for firing over an island. 

Members
4 posts
2,377 battles
16 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

An AA spec Farragut or Benson has significantly better AA.

Uh C hull Farragut has a whopping 13 base AA DPS on the long range 127mm guns, unless you use the B hull which doesn't even let you slot the DFAA consumable. Meanwhile the Sims starts off at more than 3x that amount at 43 base AA DPS. 

Benson, assuming you slot C hull which gives you DFAA, has the same base AA value as the Sims while being an entire tier higher. Seeing more T9-T10 CVs is the last thing you want especially when your AA values aren't even higher than a T7 DD. If you slot B hull, you do get slightly more base AA DPS (we're talking an increase of 5 base dps...), but you lose DFAA.

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
879 posts
13,358 battles
8 hours ago, Neagrosk said:

Uh C hull Farragut has a whopping 13 base AA DPS on the long range 127mm guns, unless you use the B hull which doesn't even let you slot the DFAA consumable. Meanwhile the Sims starts off at more than 3x that amount at 43 base AA DPS. 

Benson, assuming you slot C hull which gives you DFAA, has the same base AA value as the Sims while being an entire tier higher. Seeing more T9-T10 CVs is the last thing you want especially when your AA values aren't even higher than a T7 DD. If you slot B hull, you do get slightly more base AA DPS (we're talking an increase of 5 base dps...), but you lose DFAA.

Nice second post, lol.  

Members
149 posts

Sims is my go to for credit farming.  The only thing it doesn't really do all that well at it's tier is push caps due to other ships having better concealment.  But, there's no rule that says you have to sprint into a cap circle at the start of the game to be useful.  The guns and torps are quite fun on that ship.

[GLF]
Members
879 posts
13,358 battles

Still amazed every time i play this ship, the trouble i get into and still make it out of mostly unscathed.  Its the best $17 ship in my port