You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

Montana upgrades.

8 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,069 posts

First tier 10 ship!!!  Woo-hoo!

Anyhow, after looking at the bewildering array of upgrades available for it, I'm at a loss.  Esp with the 3 million credit ones- they ALL look so good!

Do main battery 2 and 3 cancel each other out?  It looks like one speeds up traverse at the expense of reload, and the other speeds up reload at the expense of traverse speed, if I'm reading that correctly.

I'm kinda leaning towards taking artillery plotting room 2, and either plotting room 1 or AA 2.

So far I got:

Auxilliary armament mod 1- to help my AA and secondaries survive longer,

Damage control mod; and

Rudder mod 2

Concealment modification.

Basically, a survivability build.   I plan on a captain with Expert marksman; Adrenaline Rush; Basics of Survivability;  Preventative Maintenance; Superintendant; Fire Prevention and AFT.

AFT alone will boost my AA rating to 95. add AA Mod 2 and it will put it at 100+   (does Monty really need the extra main battery range from Plotting room 1?)

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Don't get the plotting room mod. It's a waste. There's no reason you should be firing from that range. I went AA for that slot. In slot three, get the improved accuracy. If you want an AA build, you could make a case for the AA mod in slot three, but it's really not worth it. Damage control, rudder and concealment are all good choices in those slots though.

[SALVO]
Members
22,347 posts
22,775 battles
2 minutes ago, SergeantHop said:

Don't get the plotting room mod. It's a waste. There's no reason you should be firing from that range. I went AA for that slot. In slot three, get the improved accuracy. If you want an AA build, you could make a case for the AA mod in slot three, but it's really not worth it. Damage control, rudder and concealment are all good choices in those slots though.

This is what I did.  But I don't think that using the secondary upgrade in slot #2 would be entirely wrong either.  Some extra secondary range stacked with the extra range from AFT wouldn't be a totally bad thing either.  I guess if you feel that you see a lot of CV's and fear them without more AA, go for the AA upgrade.  Otherwise, maybe consider the secondary upgrade module.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

This is what I did.  But I don't think that using the secondary upgrade in slot #2 would be entirely wrong either.  Some extra secondary range stacked with the extra range from AFT wouldn't be a totally bad thing either.  I guess if you feel that you see a lot of CV's and fear them without more AA, go for the AA upgrade.  Otherwise, maybe consider the secondary upgrade module.

I've tried running secondary build on the Montana, and...it's not the best, in my opinion. You might light a fire or two on an enemy battleship, but Montana is not a vessel that you want to be brawling with unless you're very comfortable with the ship. Additionally, you'd want to spec into manual secondaries for it to be really worth it, otherwise they don't do a whole lot. The secondary arcs aren't great either, if my memory is correct. 

Really, the Montana is meant to be a no-fly zone. The ship is practically made for AA builds, and performs very well at the job. It's what I run, and I've enjoyed great success with it. 

For reference, my Montana build is PM, EM, AR, BFT, SI, AFT and MFCAA. Modules are Aux mod 1, AA mod 2, Plotting room 2, Damage Control 1, Steering gears 2, and concealment. Montana is probably my favorite tier 10, and this build works very well for me. Survivability/concealment would be another great build, as being able to disappear is wonderful, but it doesn't do a whole lot for me. Part of a battleship's job is tanking, and you can't do that if you're not visible. 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,069 posts

Well, I ended up going with my gut and getting the AA 2 and Accuracy upgrades.   

Played my first game in it and...  I freaking LOVE this ship!!    First game: 106070 damage, 3 kills; 2 citadels; 2 fires; 25 secondary hits.  11652 xp and 438900 credits!   Got a devastating strike on the tier 10 RN cruiser, too- sonuvagun shot torpedoes at me, then hid behind an island.  Then he inexplicably reversed out, and sat flat broadside to me 10km away for a few secs before popping smoke.  His smoke hid him .005 secs before my full broadside hit him.   Scratch one cruiser.

My other 2 kills were both by secondaries- a New Orleans and a North Carolina.

Good team win, too.  It was a bit hairy at first, and we went down by a couple of ships, but then we rebounded, and got them on points.  I had an Alabama sweeping up the side with me much of the game, and our Conquerer coming up behind us.  We pushed them right out of the cap on that side, and tore them UP.  Their Midway stayed the heck away from us, so I didn't get to test the AA.

This thing is a beast!!

On a side note, I moved Steven Seagal in and respecced him.  He really does improve the Expert Marksman skill doesn't he?

[SALVO]
Members
22,347 posts
22,775 battles
2 hours ago, SergeantHop said:

I've tried running secondary build on the Montana, and...it's not the best, in my opinion. You might light a fire or two on an enemy battleship, but Montana is not a vessel that you want to be brawling with unless you're very comfortable with the ship. Additionally, you'd want to spec into manual secondaries for it to be really worth it, otherwise they don't do a whole lot. The secondary arcs aren't great either, if my memory is correct. 

Really, the Montana is meant to be a no-fly zone. The ship is practically made for AA builds, and performs very well at the job. It's what I run, and I've enjoyed great success with it. 

For reference, my Montana build is PM, EM, AR, BFT, SI, AFT and MFCAA. Modules are Aux mod 1, AA mod 2, Plotting room 2, Damage Control 1, Steering gears 2, and concealment. Montana is probably my favorite tier 10, and this build works very well for me. Survivability/concealment would be another great build, as being able to disappear is wonderful, but it doesn't do a whole lot for me. Part of a battleship's job is tanking, and you can't do that if you're not visible. 

The "problem" with the AA Montana is that there's no guarantee of carriers in every battle.  Mind you, I use the AA upgrade in slot #2 myself.  I tend to believe that the best way to spec out a ship is to use what you'll get the most value out of the most often.  But in the case of the Montana, that's a tough decision because the Montana really isn't meant to be a close range brawler.  And even if you fully set up a Montana and her captain for a sec build, the best max sec range you can achieve, I think, is about 7.5 km, which is no match for the sec build on my German BB you might see, i.e. Tirp, Bismarck, FDG, or GK.  So, arguably, even though you may not see CV's all that often, you might still get more value out of an AA build for those times when you do see a CV.

BTW, I also love my Montana.  I haven't played it all that much yet (only 5 battles thus far), but in my 5th battle in her, I did 205k damage.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles
9 hours ago, Crucis said:

The "problem" with the AA Montana is that there's no guarantee of carriers in every battle.  Mind you, I use the AA upgrade in slot #2 myself.  I tend to believe that the best way to spec out a ship is to use what you'll get the most value out of the most often.  But in the case of the Montana, that's a tough decision because the Montana really isn't meant to be a close range brawler.  And even if you fully set up a Montana and her captain for a sec build, the best max sec range you can achieve, I think, is about 7.5 km, which is no match for the sec build on my German BB you might see, i.e. Tirp, Bismarck, FDG, or GK.  So, arguably, even though you may not see CV's all that often, you might still get more value out of an AA build for those times when you do see a CV.

BTW, I also love my Montana.  I haven't played it all that much yet (only 5 battles thus far), but in my 5th battle in her, I did 205k damage.

I believe the secondaries go out to 8.7 max. It's not terrible, but really not that great. 

I didn't play much with the secondary build on live, but I have tested it plenty on the various PTs. It's not 100% indicative of real world performance, but it's close enough. I think there has been one time on live where having manual secondaries would have helped be, but a considerable number of times where AA has saved my bacon. I've even switched my Yamato from secondaries to Manual AA because I got so tired of being picked on by CVs. When specced for it, Yam has a pretty considerable AA suite. 

Building a Montana for secondaries is kinda like building a GK for stealth. Theoretically it could be helpful in a few certain scenarios, but it really doesn't play into the ship's strengths. 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,069 posts

In another thread, someone mentioned that if you love your North Carolina, you'll also love Montana.  So far, that seems spot on.  Monty really does feel like a Nor-Cal with an extra turret, improved armor, and meaner dual purpose guns.   I'd been grinding my Nor-Cal for three days, earning the xp to move up, and Montana felt like home to me, lol.   Thus, I played it exactly like I play my NC- using my speed to keep out of instagib range of bigger fish, flanking, pushing where it will do the most good, and of course trashing anything foolish enough to show me their broadside.   And it worked even better in this ship!

Not sure what I'd call my build, other than "USN BB typical build" lol.  Build on it's strengths, and shore up it's defenses.

I took the concealment mod so I could free up that second 4 point skill for Fire Prevention.

AA mod 2 + AFT gives my AA more time to wear down plane squadrons- and it boosts secondary range, too.

Aux armament mod + that 1 pointer that improves module survivability (forget the name), helps keep my AA mounts working through all the HE spam.

BoS and Fire prevention + DCP modification helps my ship weather that HE storm.  Superintendant for an extra heal.

The rest go to buffing those wonderful guns:  EM, AR, Plotting room 2  Obviously, I could have put 2 or 3 more upgrades into the guns- but at the expense of utility or protection.   Making them turn faster, shoot more accurately, and when I'm damaged, shoot faster has worked well so far as it is- no need to give up other important areas.

With WG adding more and more BB's with insane armor schemes- and now- more BB's with torpedoes, (like we  really needed more of them...)  A secondary build US BB seems like a questionable choice.   Getting that close to a German BB is simply playing into that player's hands- he'll always have better secondaries than you will, and now his armor is making it nearly impossible to quickly put him down.  Less experience with RB BB's, but their armor also seems to lend itself to the close range dust-up.   And, of course- getting that close to ANY BB with torpedoes is just plain foolhardy.  Monty is pretty maneuverable- for a BB- but not THAT maneuverable, lol.   And since Tirpitz, Kurfurst, Kii, and Conquerer are the most frequently encountered BB's that AREN'T USN (in my experience), playing the mid range and flanking game seems wisest to me.   After all, I can't contribute to a win if I'm dead, or running for my life with a sliver of health.