You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
devilman275

What are IJN's signature ?

28 comments in this topic

[A-K-A]
Beta Testers
120 posts
3,776 battles

So,

american got AA/strong frontal armor, no more citadel ( underwater ) 
german got strong belt armor, turtle back ( no citadel unless lifting the belly in turns ) and very potent secondary
british got conceilement, no citadel ( underwater ) great fire chance and great reload, exellent heals, belt armor melts to IFHE cruiser, strong ap fuse against cruiser 
IJN got long range (somewhat, need spotter plane to trully outrange), better overal guns, weak all around armor, speedy but everyone can go 30nts now, accurate but long shell flight time , overwater citadel

so, if we check what makes IJN relevent ( speed, accuracy, range, ) 

every battleship past tier 8 can go 28-30 knots so speed is irelevent
range and accuracy, you need a spotter plane to outrange other ship, however the shell flight time is so long that firing at 18-20 km is almost as useless as trying to ''snipe'' accuracy is negated by the flight time, everyone prefer british velocity over ijn's accuracy 

plus those ship are super squishy compared to their counter part with that high citadel, even british BB with that IFHE weakness doesnt compare to them

is there anything to fear IJN's BB or they are just XP bag waiting to be farmed ? 

should they be revisited by devs ? 

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,625 battles

Great guns, great accuracy, some of the best at tiers, biggest guns at several tiers, long range, good velocity (British velocity? Please. They have some of the slowest shells in the game.), and Yamato.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,010 posts
20,299 battles

Range, accuracy with Main Battery gunfire.  That is the signature of IJN BBs, first and foremost.  They may not have the powerful shells of USN BBs.  But USN BB range and accuracy varies wildly through the tiers.  USN BBs only start getting long range and accurate, strong guns starting at Tier IX.  IJN BBs at least have range and accuracy through the entirety of their tiers.  You talk to BB players that have done all the BB lines, ask them which are the most accurate shooting ones.  I'll guarantee you, you'll see a lot of IJN BBs on that list.  Hell, Fuso is one of the least accurate of the IJN BB line, but with 12 guns, she is bound to hit.

For most IJN BBs, Speed also.  From Tier IV-VIII, IJN BBs are typically noted to be quite fast for their tiers.  It all changes once you get to Tier IX.  Even brand new Tier VIII Premium BB, Kii, is fast.

Armor was never a feature of the IJN BB line, even when it was only IJN & USN BBs, USN ones featured better armor.  You brawled in an IJN BB at your own peril.

The real change to IJN BBs starts at Tier IX.  They don't have that great speed advantage.  They get more average in that.  But the line caps off with Yamato's 460mm rifles.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles

Their guns are they signature.

IJN BBs have amazing guns, often the best of their tier. You can reliable hit targets at any range. Their armor is not the best but is enough to bounce shells if you angle.

[RKLES]
Members
10,317 posts
12,010 battles

IJN AA is also not bad if you upgrade it in the very least with Captain skill and perhaps even equippment.

And yes the armor is decent, speed is adequate or good depending on tier since some BBs of other nations can be faster at certain tiers.

Guns are great for long rang, mid range, or short range, their secondary guns actually get some AP shells mixed in with their HE shells if I remember correctly.

Japanese knew they would have to challenge the USN so the IJN worked hard to build a good fleet that could attempt to do so.

[OGZR]
Members
14 posts
2,657 battles

Great guns, good range, and mobility make them great. Soft armor, slow rotation and sometimes bad AA are the trade-off. I run American and German BB's as well and I think the Japanese line is best BB line in the game.

[PVE]
Members
9,697 posts
17,347 battles

I don't get all the praise for the IJN BB line guns? I find them below USN and barely above KM for accuray. And while they usually have some of the biggest guns per tier the damage they deal is very inconsistent for me. Other than very good range the guns are a disappointment to me w/ 2 exceptions = Fuso is okay and Amagi seems pretty good. Nagato, which everyone praises was a HUGE disappointment for me. Kongo is another one that everyone talks about being so accurate and the guns were meh for me?

Armor is always lacking big time on them so you can't really even close in and brawl like you can with KM BB to minimize the bad dispersion effect. Amagi is 1st IJN BB I really feel comfortable getting into it up close with. Fuso if it is T5/T6 but T7 or T8 forget it. One thing they have that gives them an edge at least early on is speed. No real slow BB's other than Kawachi either.

The prize in the IJN line, or maybe jewel is a better way to say it, is of course Yamato. Don't need to have played it to know it is a monster. Just play AGAINST one is all it takes. LOL

The only reason I am putting up with the pain that is IJN BB to play (for me) is that Yamato at the end.

[BEAR]
Members
88 posts
3,322 battles

I agree with the posts saying their guns are more accurate, their AA is something with upgrade potential, and at lower tiers they are the fastest BB ships.

Echoing AdmiralThunder's sentiment on Kongo's guns I did find the 8 guns on her a bit frustrating but I disagree with AdmiralThunder Re: Nagato somehow.

More broadly there's definetely some power creep with the German and UK Battleships over the US and IJN.

It is particularly severe at Tiers 3 and 4. I got a Kraken in Nassau and I only had like 8 battles in that ship.

I think the IJN BB's are best at using Spotter Plane to counter ships firing from Smoke. What a joy it is to sink a Brokenfast that way.

[CDMX]
Members
111 posts
7,054 battles
On 27/09/2017 at 11:25 AM, Xlap said:

Their guns are they signature.

IJN BBs have amazing guns, often the best of their tier. You can reliable hit targets at any range. Their armor is not the best but is enough to bounce shells if you angle.

Kawachi - maybe

Myogi - no

Kongo - for sure

Fuso - no, but there is a lot of guns

Nagato - yes

Amagi - yes

KII - oh hell,  no

Izumo - no, like KII's ... 

Yamato - not there yet

I'll dare to say that, aside Kongo's guns, there is no reliability in such IJN guns, like I feel in Colorado,NC or Missouri for instance.

Edited by Rodrigo_Godoy

[RKLES]
Members
10,317 posts
12,010 battles
8 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I don't get all the praise for the IJN BB line guns? I find them below USN and barely above KM for accuray. And while they usually have some of the biggest guns per tier the damage they deal is very inconsistent for me. Other than very good range the guns are a disappointment to me w/ 2 exceptions = Fuso is okay and Amagi seems pretty good. Nagato, which everyone praises was a HUGE disappointment for me. Kongo is another one that everyone talks about being so accurate and the guns were meh for me?

Armor is always lacking big time on them so you can't really even close in and brawl like you can with KM BB to minimize the bad dispersion effect. Amagi is 1st IJN BB I really feel comfortable getting into it up close with. Fuso if it is T5/T6 but T7 or T8 forget it. One thing they have that gives them an edge at least early on is speed. No real slow BB's other than Kawachi either.

The prize in the IJN line, or maybe jewel is a better way to say it, is of course Yamato. Don't need to have played it to know it is a monster. Just play AGAINST one is all it takes. LOL

The only reason I am putting up with the pain that is IJN BB to play (for me) is that Yamato at the end.

If enemy BBs or some Cruisers get spotted early often my IJN ships can get some good long range salvos in at battle start and if you hit them while they are traveling broadside they hit like freight train with good pen and damage, often resulting in multiple Citadel hits.

And aside from the the Kawachi and Myogi being a little questionable I have actually enjoyed the IJN BB line and am currently on Amagi, Izumo dies scare me a little since so much conflicting info on it that I will not be surprised if it turns out to be a royal pain to use and unfortunately my Free XP is reserved for Missouri and then later probably Nelson so with Free XP earning untouchable until those projects are complete it looks like a long grind through Izumo to get Yamato lol.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[WOLF3]
Members
22,010 posts
20,299 battles
On 10/8/2017 at 5:02 PM, Rodrigo_Godoy said:

Kawachi - maybe

Myogi - no

Kongo - for sure

Fuso - no, but there is a lot of guns

Nagato - yes

Amagi - yes

KII - oh hell,  no

Izumo - no, like KII's ... 

Yamato - not there yet

I'll dare to say that, aside Kongo's guns, there is no reliability in such IJN guns, like I feel in Colorado,NC or Missouri for instance.

Give Kii ASM1 and she slings shells just as well as Amagi.  Of course, that means not going full bore into AA Build, but it makes Kii's guns way more consistent.

On 10/8/2017 at 8:56 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

US BBs have pretty s--t guns for accuracy, dispersion in most of the game.

Tier IV Wyoming - Lots of guns, dispersion encompassing the entire map.

Tier V New York / Texas - Shotgun

Tier VI New Mexico - Terrible shotgun

Tier VI Premium Arizona - Precise

Tier VII Colorado - Precise

Tier VIII North Carolina / Alabama - Very mediocre at range, floaty shells

Tier IX-X Iowa / Missouri / Montana - Precise

For most of the tiers, USN BBs have very unreliable gunnery in terms of accuracy.  It doesn't help that below Tier IX, the most accurate shooting tech tree USN BB is Colorado at Tier VII.  AZ at Tier VI is great, but a Premium.  NM has a broken shotgun.

All this is simple.  USN BBs have no way of improving accuracy except for Tier IX+, because they can slap on APRM2 for the awesome 11% dispersion improvement.  The rest are SOL.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,810 posts
3,495 battles

Decent to great guns. Usually exellent dispersion. Long range but slow and detectable torpedoes. Zao=Muh Fires. And Nippon Steel so good it overrules all bias.

Also. TENNŌ HENNA BANZAI!

[PVE]
Members
9,697 posts
17,347 battles
7 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Give Kii ASM1 and she slings shells just as well as Amagi.  Of course, that means not going full bore into AA Build, but it makes Kii's guns way more consistent.

US BBs have pretty s--t guns for accuracy, dispersion in most of the game.

Tier IV Wyoming - Lots of guns, dispersion encompassing the entire map.

Tier V New York / Texas - Shotgun

Tier VI New Mexico - Terrible shotgun

Tier VI Premium Arizona - Precise

Tier VII Colorado - Precise

Tier VIII North Carolina / Alabama - Very mediocre at range, floaty shells

Tier IX-X Iowa / Missouri / Montana - Precise

For most of the tiers, USN BBs have very unreliable gunnery in terms of accuracy.  It doesn't help that below Tier IX, the most accurate shooting tech tree USN BB is Colorado at Tier VII.  AZ at Tier VI is great, but a Premium.  NM has a broken shotgun.

All this is simple.  USN BBs have no way of improving accuracy except for Tier IX+, because they can slap on APRM2 for the awesome 11% dispersion improvement.  The rest are SOL.

I prefer the USN BB main guns to IJN in every instance I can compare them to through actual play. To each his own.

• Cool 1

[CDMX]
Members
111 posts
7,054 battles
On 10/10/2017 at 1:29 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I beg to differ.

ASM1 MOD installed and even in stationary targets, the shells bracket constantly.  Without the module is a total mess.

At close, 5-10 km, and on target - i.e. the center of horizontal and vertical dispersion is on the geometric center of target, you can get 4/10 of hits. At distance, no comments. Of couse, that only single citadel hit makes great damage. With RNG in favor, I am able to hit about 100% of shells in a Bayern at 20km and cripple him to death in 2 salvos and no cit damage.

But I am talking about confidence here. As OP asked, and people are commenting, the IJN guns as signature, well, It´s debatable.

This is not a KII discussion but soon we have to open to talk about the ship. I think that is a clumsy one.

[PVE]
Members
9,697 posts
17,347 battles

Amagi reminds me of Wyoming. Fire a salvo and the shells go EVERYWHERE. How people can call it accurate is beyond me? Not being a jerk, troll, stirring pot, etc... the guns just are awful for me as have been pretty much all of the IJN BB except Fuso. Don't get it??? :Smile_amazed:

[SYN]
Members
15,408 posts
12,627 battles
17 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Amagi reminds me of Wyoming. Fire a salvo and the shells go EVERYWHERE. How people can call it accurate is beyond me? Not being a jerk, troll, stirring pot, etc... the guns just are awful for me as have been pretty much all of the IJN BB except Fuso. Don't get it??? :Smile_amazed:

did you install the accuracy mod?

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles
On 12/10/2017 at 1:33 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

Wut? IJN has some of the best and most accurate guns for their tier. Amagi has a point click deletion every 30 secs. 

[PVE]
Members
9,697 posts
17,347 battles
3 hours ago, Xlap said:

Wut? IJN has some of the best and most accurate guns for their tier. Amagi has a point click deletion every 30 secs. 

That is what I read all the time but for me, IRL, the Nagato and Amagi guns have been way over sold.

Members
373 posts
5,536 battles

Their signature is that you can still citadel them.

Citadel:

German = LOL

Brits = LOL

USA = From time to time

IJN = The Pensacolas of the BB world