You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
devastator5000

Clan Battle Strategies

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,719 posts
3,379 battles

At least 5 Shima's with 20km torps all firing their payload at one target and running, it's outside of radar range and there is no CVs to spot torps early and/or spot the Shima's.

Or a team full of Minotaur's, some with smoke some with radar and a few good DDs to back them up.

I mean seriously what was WG thinking when they came up with the battle restriction ideas. 

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,400 posts

The true strategy is to not play CW. Play WSL.

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

Mino spam seems more likely to me. With only 1 BB, just go bow on and the chances of RNG working out in their favor are next to none. Once radar's off, smoke up and let the AP sing.

(I'm also both glad I made the choice to leave CVs behind after CBT, yet still disappointed at WG doing this kind of stuff two years later. Yeah, locking CV players out of a game mode... yet another good decision to help the dwindling CV population, right?)

[WOLF7]
Members
12,238 posts
12 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Mino spam seems more likely to me. With only 1 BB, just go bow on and the chances of RNG working out in their favor are next to none. Once radar's off, smoke up and let the AP sing.

(I'm also both glad I made the choice to leave CVs behind after CBT, yet still disappointed at WG doing this kind of stuff two years later. Yeah, locking CV players out of a game mode... yet another good decision to help the dwindling CV population, right?)

Smoke is being nerfed at the same time....sitting in smoke shooting isn't really going to be a good option...

[A-D]
2,638 posts
6 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Smoke is being nerfed at the same time....sitting in smoke shooting isn't really going to be a good option...

...For BBs, sure. For RN CLs and DDs... well, last I checked that just means you can see them from a little further than 2km now. If the nerfs have taken a harsher turn since, well, that'll be an outcry in itself...

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,389 posts
22,806 battles
50 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Ikoma, I have no pity for any pure CV player, just like I have no pity for any player who only plays a single type.  Play all types, then you're not locked into a single type and find yourself in this position.

Heck, what if you've got a number of pure BB players in your clan?  You can only bring one of them into a clan battle.  That's not much better.

• Cool 1

[A-D]
2,638 posts
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Ikoma, I have no pity for any pure CV player, just like I have no pity for any player who only plays a single type.  Play all types, then you're not locked into a single type and find yourself in this position.

Heck, what if you've got a number of pure BB players in your clan?  You can only bring one of them into a clan battle.  That's not much better.

You don't have to be 'pure <insert type here>' to still really like them. And just like having the option to play them.

And, yes, it's not much better for BBs.

I don't like WG telling me what I can and can't play.

[SALVO]
Members
22,389 posts
22,806 battles
2 hours ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

You don't have to be 'pure <insert type here>' to still really like them. And just like having the option to play them.

And, yes, it's not much better for BBs.

I don't like WG telling me what I can and can't play.

The difference between CVs and the other 3 ship types is that CVs are a massive force multiplier to the rest of the team.  Furthermore, unless there was a requirement to bring 1 CV per team, not bringing a CV would become outright suicide, because you'd lose every advantage they can bring.  Even if you didn't attack a single ship, you can still spot the enemy team mercilessly.

Frankly, I think that if 1 CV per team was allowed, it would become a de facto 1 CV per team requirement, due to the extreme negatives of NOT bringing a CV to the team.  

And on top of all that, I think that CVs leverage its player's skill far, far more than any other ship type. And the difference between the "power" level of an very good CV player and a weak CV player is MUCH greater than you'd see in any other ship type.  And so, I don't think that allowing CVs to be a part of CWs is a good idea, at least not yet.

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,223 posts
10,884 battles
14 hours ago, Crucis said:

The difference between CVs and the other 3 ship types is that CVs are a massive force multiplier to the rest of the team.  Furthermore, unless there was a requirement to bring 1 CV per team, not bringing a CV would become outright suicide, because you'd lose every advantage they can bring.  Even if you didn't attack a single ship, you can still spot the enemy team mercilessly.

Frankly, I think that if 1 CV per team was allowed, it would become a de facto 1 CV per team requirement, due to the extreme negatives of NOT bringing a CV to the team.  

And on top of all that, I think that CVs leverage its player's skill far, far more than any other ship type. And the difference between the "power" level of an very good CV player and a weak CV player is MUCH greater than you'd see in any other ship type.  And so, I don't think that allowing CVs to be a part of CWs is a good idea, at least not yet.

I couldn't agree more. Folks try and remember this is just the first season. Who knows what is coming in the future.

Also I hate it when people call this mode that is being released CW. It is NOT clan wars. You cannot declare war on a clan and attack them.

[SALVO]
Members
22,389 posts
22,806 battles

Yep, it's just, as WG is calling it, Clan Battles, not Clan Wars.  From what I've seen, CB's are a parallel to WoT's Stronghold battles, not their Clan Wars.

[A-D]
2,638 posts
16 hours ago, Crucis said:

Or you could just not bring a CV and thus get CVless matches because of mirror MM...

[SALVO]
Members
22,389 posts
22,806 battles
35 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Or you could just not bring a CV and thus get CVless matches because of mirror MM...

We're talking clan battles (or clan wars) here, not random battles.  Don't assume that there would be mirror MM in clan battles.  Don't assume that at all!!!  

[DOG]
Members
710 posts
8,688 battles

"At least 5 Shima's with 20km torps all firing their payload at one target and running, it's outside of radar range and there is no CVs to spot torps early and/or spot the Shima's."

Ironically, this was not too far removed from Japan's pre-war strategic plan, before they switched it up and did the air raid on Pearl Harbor.  Their original plan involved capturing the Philippines and then waiting for the U.S.N. to try to take it back.  They envisioned using subs and carrier based aircraft to harass, damage, and sink as many U.S. ships as possible along the way.   The second stage involved trying to arrange an engagement at night using their 4 Kongo class BCs, 12-15 CAs, and 2-3 destroyer groups, each with 12-14 DDs led by a CL, plus the two Kitikami class torpedo CLs.  Bear in mind that, despite what you see in WoW, almost every ship in their navy that had torpedo launchers actually carried the same torpedo, which had a large warhead, extremely long range, high speed, and was hard to detect. And they drilled their torpedo crews more than most navies, so they tended to be more proficient.  The idea with the night battle was that they'd all get in a big line, fire half their torpedoes, do a 180 degree turn and fire the other half, and then finish off any easy-kill cripples with guns before running back to the BBs.  The survivors would then join the rest of the fleet to help the BBs pound a weakened U.S. fleet in a daylight engagement the following day.

• Cool 2

[DONUT]
Members
438 posts
6,100 battles
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:35 PM, Crucis said:

I like becoming proficient with one type of ship.  I started with CL but now am deciding between DD and CV.  When I play many different ship types my skill level is mediocre in all of them.  For me, its best to find one ship and play it well. 

[SALVO]
Members
22,389 posts
22,806 battles
1 minute ago, IcyThor said:

I like becoming proficient with one type of ship.  I started with CL but now am deciding between DD and CV.  When I play many different ship types my skill level is mediocre in all of them.  For me, its best to find one ship and play it well. 

Given that I've played actual clan wars in World of Tanks, it seems to me that playing strictly one type of vehicle is exceptionally limiting to your ability to help your clan and to get a spot on teams in those clan battles/wars.  If that's not a problem for you, more power to ya.

[DONUT]
Members
438 posts
6,100 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Given that I've played actual clan wars in World of Tanks, it seems to me that playing strictly one type of vehicle is exceptionally limiting to your ability to help your clan and to get a spot on teams in those clan battles/wars.  If that's not a problem for you, more power to ya.

I play for fun.  If clan battles become too competitive and angry, they will not be for me.  I can still have a clan, collect oil and enjoy the rewards. 

[ANZAC]
Members
19 posts
18,658 battles

So the final format is yet to be decided is that right? or

No limit on DD's etc just 1 BB and no CV is that the only limitation?

Edited by nzrogue
grammar

[USNSS]
Members
943 posts
9,994 battles

We'll see on the restrictions.  But, give me an argument against 7 Khabas.  All on com's, maybe even a couple with smoke. 

- radar, who cares.  I guess u couldn't counter smoke tho.  That would give cap advantage to the reds - wait, clan battles are not domination currently, right?  All standard battle?

Edited by WhiteRecon

Members
1,960 posts
3,192 battles
On 9/25/2017 at 0:04 PM, Macabe said:

The true strategy is to not play CW. Play WSL.

^ this. CW is really a joke in comparison. 

On 9/25/2017 at 5:25 PM, Crucis said:

Not really. Sadface usually does the least amount of work on the standard SL team because they spend so much time fighting the enemy CV, dodging benson invisifire AA, and trying to get that one good spot for us. Occasionally the CV will attack a surface ship, but they don't often. Their influence is... minimal.

In SL season 3, The Seventh Fleet fielded a team with no Shoukaku (switched it for a cruiser) and defeated... I think it was APOC (Macabe, help me). The team that lost flipped thier s#it and actually accused FOG of cheating because not having the carrier gave Seventh an unfair advantage. CV is required in SL now in order to prevent that from happening again. At least three of TSF-11's season four strats were also without Shoukaku but Mac said we couldn't run them.  

Edited by BB_Tosa