You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AkiraKurai

Cause AA is totally balanced

50 comments in this topic

[SCCC]
Members
709 posts
15,637 battles

I don't care if my bombers get wiped immediately if I'm flying into 3 ships stacking AA neither do i care if my bombers die right after they're done dropping or that USN ships are AA speced but to have this kind of :etc_swear: still in randoms is just unacceptable as well as the :etc_swear:  Iowa literally killing bombers before the bombers themselves can drop.

Spoiler

6fe6503dfc.jpg

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,487 posts
6,424 battles

That's what an Iowa class is designed to do. Why are you complaining your bombers were not unstoppable by the best battleship in the game at anti-aircraft work?

Also, did you loiter your bombers inside the AA range while trying for a better approach? This is a common mistake.

• Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
709 posts
15,637 battles

no flying straight towards iy for a drop was enough the [edited] up a entite torpedo squadron cause usn bombers.

[HINON]
Members
11,664 posts

You get your allied BB to hit him with some HE to set fires and blow up AA mounts, then when the AA is softened up you go in. This is more a product of off hours with making small matches.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,656 posts
8,089 battles

There’s your problem. Your using a USN CV. What you should be using is an IJN CV, where you have more TBs and a better chance at getting some torps off. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SCCC]
Members
709 posts
15,637 battles
Just now, RipNuN2 said:

You get your allied BB to hit him with some HE to set fires and blow up AA mounts, then when the AA is softened up you go in. This is more a product of off hours with making small matches.

you think i didnt wait for that? that crapstill manages to kill of torpedo bombers except this time dive bombers actually made it through.

[-K-]
Members
7,110 posts
11,660 battles
10 minutes ago, CarefreeTongue said:

That's why you stack drop?

Or wait till later in the match when AA-modules have been damaged and/or reduced, before striking high-value AA targets.

Members
842 posts
9,792 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

Or wait till later in the match when AA-modules have been damaged and/or reduced, before striking high-value AA targets.

He couldn't wait in that game, because there were no cruisers or RN BBs firing HE at that Iowa.

[CUTER]
Members
3,868 posts
19,958 battles

AA in WoWs is a joke, it requires zero player skill and the only effort one has to do is click a squadron (assuming he has manual AA). I can literally be the biggest scrub on the server and counter you without even noticing any planes in the air just by taking a couple of captain skills and an upgrade.

PC Magazine: 10/10

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,379 posts
8,031 battles

Iowa is good at AA? Shocker!

You got screwed by MM, true. If I were you I'd try to go for a carrier snipe at this point, even though under regular circumstances that tactic is awful. And if you insist on getting to Iowa, then send in your TBs right behind your DBs, so that you can get decent torpedo hits (unless he manually shifts AA, of course)

[NG-NL]
Members
5,971 posts
9,620 battles

To be fair, an Iowa with no AA upgrades can barely shoot down Ranger planes.

[WOLF1]
Members
623 posts
13,163 battles
15 minutes ago, m373x said:

AA in WoWs is a joke, it requires zero player skill and the only effort one has to do is click a squadron (assuming he has manual AA). I can literally be the biggest scrub on the server and counter you without even noticing any planes in the air just by taking a couple of captain skills and an upgrade.

HAHA, So is a 100 percent AA specd Battleship without defensive AA Against any competent tahio or hak captain. 

[P-V-E]
Members
1,279 posts
19 minutes ago, m373x said:

PC Magazine: 10/10

you could say much the same about IRL captains in ww2 ships with respect to AA, the enlisted ratings knew their job, as did the captain know his. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,490 battles
1 hour ago, AkiraKurai said:

I don't care if my bombers get wiped immediately if I'm flying into 3 ships stacking AA neither do i care if my bombers die right after they're done dropping or that USN ships are AA speced but to have this kind of :etc_swear: still in randoms is just unacceptable as well as the :etc_swear:  Iowa literally killing bombers before the bombers themselves can drop.

Reveal hidden contents

6fe6503dfc.jpg

tumblr_netakhJf0S1rv6ukfo1_500.gif

That's the way the Iowa works, it swats planes out of the sky with it's massive AA power. So

giphy.gif

• Cool 2

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,487 posts
6,424 battles

Here is what I'm hearing from the OP:

"I sent in my bomber squadron against the most heavily-AA equipped BB in the game, and it's unfair he got to stop them. WG needs to change AA so my planes are unstoppable."

The simple truth is that sometimes, a ship built to stop bombers does its job, and sometimes the bombers do theirs. What the OP is complaining about is that the ship's AA worked, and they believe it should not be allowed to do so. Ever.

Finally, this is why experienced CV commanders don't send in a bomber squadron alone...they know the AA is going to tear up one squadron and have another to go in while they are dying. I don't know if the OP did this, but if they went directly in as described, I suspect they did not.

Regardless, CVs have to work for their bread like any other ship. Sometimes luck is with the enemy, but just because you click to attack an enemy, especially an enemy equipped to defeat that attack, does not mean the game is broken if you fail. It means you are not being given a free ride and have to put in the effort to get those point-blank unavoidable torpedo attacks that CVs alone can pull off without risk to themselves.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

As I see it, the problem with AA is that there's rarely any counter play. If the ship's AA is specced to only be good when DF is up, then the CV can try and bait the DF, and the ship can try to wait until you're too close to pull out without heavy losses.

But other than that, AA is either good enough to protect, or it isn't, and no amount of maneuvering by either party can change that.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
323 posts
3,583 battles
1 hour ago, m373x said:

Eh, I'm going to take issue with that assertion. First, it requires skill (or a metric ton of grinding) to acquire those Skills and Modules in the first place. 
Second, you have to be able to read the map and try to anticipate where the bombers are going to come from. 
Third, while Manual AA Targeting is great, it can be tough to do while you're in the middle of a massive brawl, or running for your life against a horde of rampaging reds seeking your doom. 

Besides, when you consider how fast aircraft can move from one place to another, and plant massive amounts of ordnance in a single spot, the surface ships have to have some recourse.

[SYN]
Members
5,380 posts
12,629 battles

Iowa has very powerful AA.  Also, water is wet!  More at 11:00!

Cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
15 minutes ago, GulfStorm said:

Second, you have to be able to read the map and try to anticipate where the bombers are going to come from. 

Third, while Manual AA Targeting is great, it can be tough to do while you're in the middle of a massive brawl, or running for your life against a horde of rampaging reds seeking your doom.

I'll give you map awareness. But clicking on planes is insanely easy to do once you have map awareness. Especially now that a squadron will keep its priority targeting even if you lose sight of it.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,977 battles

Yeah, US fast battleships ended up primarily helping with the AA umbrella over the task force with their 5"/38 batteries (20 guns per BB), and a crapload of 40s and 20s.  Rarely were there surface ships to actually shoot at in battleship gunrange, except off Guadalcanal. 

IE you're throwing your planes against one of the hardest targets in the game.  Even the real Japanese generally avoided the BBs with their planes if they had any better target.

[SCCC]
Members
709 posts
15,637 battles
3 hours ago, Jakob_Knight said:

Here is what I'm hearing from the OP:

"I sent in my bomber squadron against the most heavily-AA equipped BB in the game, and it's unfair he got to stop them. WG needs to change AA so my planes are unstoppable."

The simple truth is that sometimes, a ship built to stop bombers does its job, and sometimes the bombers do theirs. What the OP is complaining about is that the ship's AA worked, and they believe it should not be allowed to do so. Ever.

Finally, this is why experienced CV commanders don't send in a bomber squadron alone...they know the AA is going to tear up one squadron and have another to go in while they are dying. I don't know if the OP did this, but if they went directly in as described, I suspect they did not.

Regardless, CVs have to work for their bread like any other ship. Sometimes luck is with the enemy, but just because you click to attack an enemy, especially an enemy equipped to defeat that attack, does not mean the game is broken if you fail. It means you are not being given a free ride and have to put in the effort to get those point-blank unavoidable torpedo attacks that CVs alone can pull off without risk to themselves.

4 hours ago, AkiraKurai said:

Clearly, you didn't read at all what I said.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,487 posts
6,424 battles
40 minutes ago, AkiraKurai said:

Clearly, you didn't read at all what I said.

No, you clearly didn't understand what you said. There's quite a difference.

You said it is totally unacceptable for the Iowa to kill bombers before they can drop. How is that not demanding that the AA on a BB specifically designed to down bombers not ever be allowed to do so? The only other interpretation of your statement is that you find it unacceptable that the Iowa can down bombers before they can sink it, but have no problem if its AA shoots down the bombers after they have already ensured a successful attack. Either way, you are demanding that the Iowa be incapable of stopping a CV from having an assured attack success against it.

You need to think before you post a rant if you want consideration.

Edited by Jakob_Knight

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
8 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

No, you clearly didn't understand what you said. There's quite a difference.

You said it is totally unacceptable for the Iowa to kill bombers before they can drop. How is that not demanding that the AA on a BB specifically designed to down bombers not ever be allowed to do so? The only other interpretation of your statement is that you find it unacceptable that the Iowa can down bombers before they can sink it, but have no problem if its AA shoots down the bombers after they have already ensured a successful attack. Either way, you are demanding that the Iowa be incapable of stopping a CV from having an assured attack success against it.

You need to think before you post a rant if you want consideration.

Based on my understanding of what he said, he doesn't care if they get wiped before they drop heading into a strong AA bubble, or wiped after they drop on a strong AA BB.

My interpretation leads to start dying before drop, finish dying after drop is ok. I could be wrong.