You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zorwinn100

Hide camo for all ships during a match?

22 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
190 posts
11,910 battles

Is there a way to remove all camo for all ships in a match (much like we can turn off ARP)?   

Some of the camo in game is very bright and gaudy...  It would be nice to have a switch that reverts every ship to historic camo, or just plain 'ol battleship gray.  Of course all bonuses should remain intact for each ship.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,977 battles

In Aslain's mod pack, there's a no-rust skin, for instance...that'll make no camos show.  There are others that can change camo appearance (or disappearance, if you like) as well.

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,192 battles

The game needs more Dazzle and False waterlines, not less.

RESTORE MEASURE 22 AS DEFAULT HIGH TIER USN LOOK 2017.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
22,411 posts
22,855 battles
2 hours ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

FWIW, camo IRL was often gaudy

dazzle.png

I'd love to see some of the historical gaudy camos added to the game.

Members
66 posts
3,699 battles
2 hours ago, AirshipCanon said:

RESTORE MEASURE 22 AS DEFAULT HIGH TIER USN LOOK 2017.

On Alabama and Missouri it is. A couple of skins for Fletcher, Baltimore and Montana and I'm good.

They're beautiful and historically "accurate".

[P-V-E]
Members
1,279 posts

you could argue turning off cammo on someone else's ship (who is on the enemy side) to force the ship to be shown as e.g. stock grey etc on your screen etc is tantamount to cheating in a MP game.

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,192 battles
3 hours ago, AT_Velos said:

On Alabama and Missouri it is. A couple of skins for Fletcher, Baltimore and Montana and I'm good.

They're beautiful and historically "accurate".

In CBT, ALL USN vessels above T5 used to have Measure 22. (It was before camo was in the game.) 

It caused a lot of complaints apparently, so when Camos were actually launched, Measure 22 was taken out. (Because yes, scrubs with [edited] eyesight and weak computer possibly couldn't aim at it)

There was some actual rage when it got brought up that it might come back on Missouri. Hence where that picture in the atsf video comes up... and sometimes it still gets complained about. (Nope it's your fault you can't aim)

[CUTE]
Privateers, Supertester
728 posts
8,806 battles
2 hours ago, b101uk said:

you could argue turning off cammo on someone else's ship (who is on the enemy side) to force the ship to be shown as e.g. stock grey etc on your screen etc is tantamount to cheating in a MP game.

How? The camo in game doesn't really make it more difficult to hit a ship, in fact most Camos probably make it easier. 

OP is talking about visually removing them. The bonuses don't get changed

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,009 posts

I'll admit some are quite loud, but I've not found any cammo any help in regard to hiding my ship.  My only concern is the same I've had with WoT for a while - the controversial armor map custom cammos that essentially mapped out where to hit on each tank.

Here some on the cammos.  From my view Measure 22 is still in unless there was a more robust version...

Beta Testers
874 posts

Wow, I never saw that in Aslains... going to look harder!  It's specifically under?

I want to remove gaudy cammo, like Halloween, including my own! Lol

I hate the look of most bright cammo. Will be great to see historic looking ships without losing the cammo benefits.

[SYN]
Members
293 posts
11,296 battles
9 minutes ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Wow, I never saw that in Aslains... going to look harder!  It's specifically under?

I want to remove gaudy cammo, like Halloween, including my own! Lol

I hate the look of most bright cammo. Will be great to see historic looking ships without losing the cammo benefits.

I also do not like the candy corn, blue confetti camo's of which I have 100's of.....i use it aslains too think its called "unique camo all ships", would like to see WG do more development on Camo

• Cool 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,279 posts
9 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

How? The camo in game doesn't really make it more difficult to hit a ship, in fact most Camos probably make it easier. 

OP is talking about visually removing them. The bonuses don't get changed

because on some maps some blend quite well in different places at long distances, and on some ships from some angles they can look like they are going in a slightly different direction, just enough to slightly spoil aim

it has NOTHING to do with bonuses which wouldn't be changed anyway.

ergo to change something with a mod that would otherwise neutralise or otherwise reduce any perceivable effect in a MP game would be cheating.

[PSP]
Members
9,761 posts

I rather like some of the "gaudy" camos. The "school bus" camo is a current favorite of mine. Also, as someone already posted, gaudy paint schemes were used extensively on WWI and WWII-era ships. The reasoning was that it was thought to make the ship's speed and direction harder to determine by submarines. If you think that WOWS camos are "gaudy" you should see some of the dazzle paint schemes that were used in the past. With the advent of advanced hydroacoustics and radar rangefinding such paint schemes became obsolete, which is why ships today are mostly painted neutral gray. However, some are still painted in camouflage colors to help thwart less sophisticated navies and pirates with gunboats and hand-held rocket launchers.

article-2292159-1895A9A7000005DC-184_634

[SYN]
Members
293 posts
11,296 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I rather like some of the "gaudy" camos. The "school bus" camo is a current favorite of mine. Also, as someone already posted, gaudy paint schemes were used extensively on WWI and WWII-era ships. The reasoning was that it was thought to make the ship's speed and direction harder to determine by submarines. If you think that WOWS camos are "gaudy" you should see some of the dazzle paint schemes that were used in the past. With the advent of advanced hydroacoustics and radar rangefinding such paint schemes became obsolete, which is why ships today are mostly painted neutral gray. However, some are still painted in camouflage colors to help thwart less sophisticated navies and pirates with gunboats and hand-held rocket launchers.

article-2292159-1895A9A7000005DC-184_634

I like IRL camo like say DeGrasse awesome - but to put halloween candy corn on my Montana just rubs me wrong - I like the camo in your photo too

Modder
1,222 posts
1 hour ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Will be great to see historic looking ships without losing the cammo benefits.

Check the mods section of the forum (or click my signature if you feel so inclined), there are skins that will do that job for you :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
7,110 posts
11,660 battles
1 hour ago, StoptheViolins said:

I'll admit some are quite loud....

C'mon now....

21316151_1591532480909415_303529687754335639_o.jpg?w=1200&h=

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,192 battles
2 hours ago, StoptheViolins said:

Here some on the cammos.  From my view Measure 22 is still in unless there was a more robust version...

The catch is that for the most part Measure 22 is useless.
It takes being a potato on a toaster for it to do crap.

The problem is, Wargaming doesn't want visual camo effects to impact gameplay, that's why Measure 22 was removed from the USN boats in the first place.

It's a poorly visualized, shortsighted analysis, built on weak data computations, but the default look "did have an effect", so when the big update that brought out Camos and redid the USN line hit, it was removed and not included in the standard camo patterns.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,871 posts

If you read memoirs, US ships had a lot of bare metal. They came out of the shipyards painted, but skippers soon had sailors scraping paint off every surface they reach.

In battle as it turns out, the paint would catch fire and give off noxious fumes.

Rust they could deal with. 

If you want authentic, use the rusty hull in port.

Beta Testers
874 posts
21 hours ago, zFireWyvern said:

Check the mods section of the forum (or click my signature if you feel so inclined), there are skins that will do that job for you :Smile_hiding:

Wow, really impressed with your work my friend.   I hope you find a way to work it into Aslains!  

Outstanding.  Thank you!

Modder
1,222 posts
9 minutes ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Wow, really impressed with your work my friend.   I hope you find a way to work it into Aslains!  

Outstanding.  Thank you!

Nah, I won't be putting my stuff into Aslain's for a couple of reasons, partly because it'd be an enormous nightmare to work into the pack due to skins sharing various files.