You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SailorDeadpool1XPOIXKita

star trek discovery

73 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles

ok let talk about the new tv series known as star trek discovery....

first off the first episode was great.... Bad sad news CBS isn't airing them on tv for 2 episode they expect we going to go pay for their new cbs Netflix thing... Which if u are outside the states, u can legally watch star trek discovery and that just [edited] for some of us who own Netflix.... anyone have suggestion of a site to watch the series or what u think about this new star trek.

[SOUP]
Privateers, Supertester, Modder
8,552 posts

Just wait patiently for some Ferengi to get his hands on it.

• Cool 2

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,256 posts
12,938 battles

I don't think of it as Star Trek. CBS will not get a dime from me. Glad you liked it tho. 

[WOLF5]
Members
714 posts
14,947 battles

The first episode was moderately good...and then they made it a cliffhanger. So, to see it you have to go to the streaming service.

Not only a cash grab, but a **** move with the cliffhanger. Just felt like I was being mugged. 

If they had given me a full episode experience, I probably would have signed up for their streaming service. I was already reaching for my Credit Card...and wham. Cliffhanger. 

So, that was the end of it for me. 

Edited by RevTKS
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
32 minutes ago, RevTKS said:

The first episode was moderately good...and then they made it a cliffhanger. So, to see it you have to go to the streaming service.

Not only a cash grab, but a **** move with the cliffhanger. Just felt like I was being mugged. 

If they had given me a full episode experience, I probably would have signed up for their streaming service. I was already reaching for my Credit Card...and wham. Cliffhanger. 

So, that was the end of it for me. 

I know right.... hoping I can remember this site I used while I was in Kuwait last year to watch shows like agents of shield/cw dc series....

[HUNGS]
Members
1,722 posts
3,603 battles

Felt more like a FanFic show with much much better sets and animation. As a Sci-Fi show I like it, but it doesn't feel Star Trek to me

[VVV]
Beta Testers
223 posts
1,916 battles

The protagonist of the series certainly committed a impressive list of crimes under Military Law in less than five minutes....two to three of them Capital offenses under the UCMJ if a naval officer committed them today. There is no way any military or paramilitary organization would let her keep her commission, much less ,make her XO of a second ship. It's awful, simply awful. Everything the critics were saying about this was true and then some.

Thankfully, The Orville looks pretty good. And better yet, it's not behind a paywall. .

Edited by Tiberius67
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,537 posts
21,838 battles

I saw a small bit of it, didn't realize it was on and happened upon it. My only take on it was too many lens flares.... Very annoying. 

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts
11 hours ago, Tiberius67 said:

The protagonist of the series certainly committed a impressive list of crimes under Military Law in less than five minutes....two to three of them Capital offenses under the UCMJ if a naval officer committed them today. There is no way any military or paramilitary organization would let her keep her commission, much less ,make her XO of a second ship. It's awful, simply awful. Everything the critics were saying about this was true and then some.

Thankfully, The Orville looks pretty good. And better yet, it's not behind a paywall. .

This is my big problem with the series. Well that and the whole woooo I'm a psychic who sees future dead people thing because that's what our species was breed for! 

I mean seriuosly? That makes him half as useful at stating the painfully obvious as Councelor Troy, and she sucked at doing that job. Thank god she was a Ships councelor, and more or less ok at that job when she was not sitting on the Ships bridge. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,281 posts
6,146 battles

Missed it here so I've enjoyed the comments so far. The Orville isn't bad it has it's knee slapper moments but like STNG it's top heavy on PC and loonoid correctness. Prefer my sci-fi without political and social commentary...

Beta Testers
10,133 posts

I subscribed to CBS All Access as an app on my tablet.  Watched the first two episodes.  I will say I am not disappointed, and yeah, I think its worth the sub.  The second episode will have a lot of new ships that are added to the Star Trek canon.

Beta Testers
10,133 posts
On 9/25/2017 at 2:56 PM, Tiberius67 said:

Probably, but then again, the USS Discovery isn't what you think she is.

Members
249 posts
2,518 battles

I've been a Star Trek fan my entire life, and my father saw the reruns in the 70s. It is not the Trek I grew up watching and loving. It doesn't have the charm of TNG, the politics of DS9, and the look of TOS. It is worse then the JJ-verse. They even used a rejected design from the Motion Picture for the "hero" ship design and cut it up like some pizza. Why couldn't they have taken a note from the Battlestar reboot? Why not set it in the future? They say its TOS, but it clearly isn't. It is some other alternate universe. It completely destroys the continuity set for 50 years. Whats worse is that you have to get on that CBS All access thing to watch it. I have literally lost all hope for any future Trek. They sued Axanar for this piece of garbage?

Rant over.

• Cool 5

Beta Testers
1,256 posts
9,326 battles

Agree with two of four. They are trying to copy the Abrams Reboot / Kelvin timeline too much.

I always wanted to see a spinoff from TNG with all the quasi politics of the Klingons and their family line quarrels. They would make for some good stuff - show the federation from the perspective of the Klingons.Instead we get more bad actors wearing leotards and can't make up their mind if they are in a military or berkley inspired autocracy. Gimme a break. I'd rather see Janeway trash talk and curbstomp Borg cubes anyday.

BTW - the second (and final) season of StarGate: Universe was on par with BSG. 

[TDG]
Members
1,687 posts
9,086 battles
On 9/24/2017 at 11:10 PM, LancerUlysses said:

I don't think of it as Star Trek. CBS will not get a dime from me. Glad you liked it tho. 

As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek died when Jar Jar Abrams got hold of it.

I watched Star Trek 90210 on my way home in 2009.  I should not have to keep my brain locked in the OFF position for a Star Trek movie.  (As a military veteran, I have other issues with the movie as well.)

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,537 posts
21,838 battles
2 hours ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek died when Jar Jar Abrams got hold of it.

I watched Star Trek 90210 on my way home in 2009.  I should not have to keep my brain locked in the OFF position for a Star Trek movie.  (As a military veteran, I have other issues with the movie as well.)

I agree. Life long Star Trek fan and I just hate the "reboot" of the original show. It is just horrible although like so many shows now, the special effects are nice. Story sucks but look at the pretty explosions...

What really chaps me is that the Star Trek universe is without limits. They can go anywhere and any time since time travel is so well established. Yet the best new writers can do is to take the original stories and characters that people love and just make a mess of them. Watched the first "new" movie and all I can say is I hope the franchise dies. Luckily I have all the series I love on DVD, TOS, TOS Animated, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, and even Enterprise. Throw in the movies with Shatner and Patrick Stewart and I have Star Trek, the rest is just the spewings of drug addled minds. I am a Navy vet and just had so many issues with the story that it felt as if my head was going to explode. The writers of the new stuff are so clueless that it hurts. On the upside, Star Trek V is no longer the worst Star Trek! 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
10,133 posts
On 9/25/2017 at 2:56 PM, Tiberius67 said:

Let me clarify my previous comment, since the trailer for the third episode is already out.

Spoiler warning.

Don't say I warned you.

Last chance.

[Scenes from the trailer]

She is going to the brig, along with a number of other people.  But it appears the ship that was carrying her and other prisoners never went to the brig, and had a secret detour to a new ship, which you guessed it, the Discovery.  All the people inside had some experience with the Klingons, nasty and no good.  This includes survivors from the Shenzhou and it appears that Harry Mudd is also there.

So you might have a guess what the real purpose of the Discovery is.

As for what the critics are saying... 84% in Rotten Tomatoes happens to be a very good rating.

Edited by Eisennagel

Beta Testers
10,133 posts
7 hours ago, Scotty_SE said:

Agree with two of four. They are trying to copy the Abrams Reboot / Kelvin timeline too much.

I always wanted to see a spinoff from TNG with all the quasi politics of the Klingons and their family line quarrels. They would make for some good stuff - show the federation from the perspective of the Klingons.Instead we get more bad actors wearing leotards and can't make up their mind if they are in a military or berkley inspired autocracy. Gimme a break. I'd rather see Janeway trash talk and curbstomp Borg cubes anyday.

BTW - the second (and final) season of StarGate: Universe was on par with BSG. 

From the very beginning of Star Trek, Star Fleet can't make up its mind whether its Berkeley or the Military.   In fact, this duality and the conflict between the two are always among of the key aspects of the franchise.  

Edited by Eisennagel

Beta Testers
10,133 posts
4 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I agree. Life long Star Trek fan and I just hate the "reboot" of the original show. It is just horrible although like so many shows now, the special effects are nice. Story sucks but look at the pretty explosions...

What really chaps me is that the Star Trek universe is without limits. They can go anywhere and any time since time travel is so well established. Yet the best new writers can do is to take the original stories and characters that people love and just make a mess of them. Watched the first "new" movie and all I can say is I hope the franchise dies. Luckily I have all the series I love on DVD, TOS, TOS Animated, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, and even Enterprise. Throw in the movies with Shatner and Patrick Stewart and I have Star Trek, the rest is just the spewings of drug addled minds. I am a Navy vet and just had so many issues with the story that it felt as if my head was going to explode. The writers of the new stuff are so clueless that it hurts. On the upside, Star Trek V is no longer the worst Star Trek! 

I think modern SF shows are deeply influenced by Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead.   That means heavy serialization of the story line, lots of conflict and darkness, with the occasional body count.   The show reminds me a bit of DS9, which ironically, help foreshadow the "darkness" trend in modern Scfi TV.  

I bet you no coincidence that the Shenzhou belongs to the "Walker" class, and I believe that is a Walking Dead reference.

There was a lot of philosophy and metaphorical commentary in TOS and TNG, but the other ST series after that, seems to have lost that.  In any case, metaphor and philosophy nowadays don't seem to fit a drama show, which this certainly belongs to, but still exists and flourishes in comedy, and I think the Orville is a much more suited vehicle for such.

10 years before TOS, I believe opens possibilities in the story line, including meeting Pike's Enterprise and Spock.

CBS All Access has all the Star Trek shows from TOS to Enterprise.  I think when CBS bought out Paramount, all the Star Trek rights went to CBS.  What Paramount got  in return was only a license for an 'alternative universe' that became JJ-Trek.  CBS on the other hand, retains all rights to the Prime timeline.  So despite looking like JJ-Trek, the Discovery is indeed Prime universe.

Edited by Eisennagel

[VVV]
Beta Testers
223 posts
1,916 battles
On 9/26/2017 at 9:06 PM, Eisennagel said:

Let me clarify my previous comment, since the trailer for the third episode is already out.

Spoiler warning.

Don't say I warned you.

Last chance.

[Scenes from the trailer]

She is going to the brig, along with a number of other people.  But it appears the ship that was carrying her and other prisoners never went to the brig, and had a secret detour to a new ship, which you guessed it, the Discovery.  All the people inside had some experience with the Klingons, nasty and no good.  This includes survivors from the Shenzhou and it appears that Harry Mudd is also there.

So you might have a guess what the real purpose of the Discovery is.

As for what the critics are saying... 84% in Rotten Tomatoes happens to be a very good rating.

While I appreciate you trying to not hit me with spoilers, in the case of STD it isn't necessary.

So what, it's Dirty Dozen in space? If that is so, then why were the Shenzou's surviving Bridge crew also sent there? Unless Burnham dragged them down with her, they didn't deserve getting sent to a ship that Starfleet would actually be pleased to put on a memorial wall somewhere. If I were one of the Shenzou survivors, I'd be furious if they put her back over me as XO...furious enough that resigning my commission would be on the table. Burnham is unfit to to be an officer at all, much less one on a command track. 

Beta Testers
10,133 posts
17 minutes ago, Tiberius67 said:

While I appreciate you trying to not hit me with spoilers, in the case of STD it isn't necessary.

So what, it's Dirty Dozen in space? If that is so, then why were the Shenzou's surviving Bridge crew also sent there? Unless Burnham dragged them down with her, they didn't deserve getting sent to a ship that Starfleet would actually be pleased to put on a memorial wall somewhere. If I were one of the Shenzou survivors, I'd be furious if they put her back over me as XO...furious enough that resigning my commission would be on the table. Burnham is unfit to to be an officer at all, much less one on a command track. 

So it appears there are Shenzhou survivors in Discovery, most notably the science officer Saru.

The captain of the Discovery apparently and personally chose who are going to his ship, including Burnham.  That's what I would surmise from the trailer.   In the trailer, he made it clear this is his ship, and he calls the shots, controversial or not.  Its clear that a lot of people don't like or trust Burnham, and there is considerable opposition to her.

I really won't call it a Dirty Dozen in space, but this appears to be the beginning of a four year war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.  

It should be noted that in the show, all the officers are wearing this blue uniform that is similar to the show Enterprise.  But the sentenced prisoners, including Burnham, when they were on a ship being sent to prison (or so they thought), they were wearing prison uniforms, which actually look a lot more like the TOS uniforms.  Burnham's own prison shirt has the same color as Kirk's shirt.  And she appears to be wearing this uniform, in the Discovery.

Edited by Eisennagel

[VVV]
Beta Testers
223 posts
1,916 battles
59 minutes ago, Eisennagel said:

So it appears there are Shenzhou survivors in Discovery, most notably the science officer Saru.

The captain of the Discovery apparently and personally chose who are going to his ship, including Burnham.  That's what I would surmise from the trailer.   In the trailer, he made it clear this is his ship, and he calls the shots, controversial or not.  Its clear that a lot of people don't like or trust Burnham, and there is considerable opposition to her.

I really won't call it a Dirty Dozen in space, but this appears to be the beginning of a four year war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.  

It should be noted that in the show, all the officers are wearing this blue uniform that is similar to the show Enterprise.  But the sentenced prisoners, including Burnham, when they were on a ship being sent to prison (or so they thought), they were wearing prison uniforms, which actually look a lot more like the TOS uniforms.  Burnham's own prison shirt has the same color as Kirk's shirt.  And she appears to be wearing this uniform, in the Discovery.

It seems like the premise, to an extent at least. in a Dirty Dozen situation, the CO would have absolute authority over them, above and beyond a normal CO's authority to the point of him being able to shoot them out of hand if they got out of line. There would have to be a reason they are bringing along convicts...especially as one as toxic to morale as a convicted mutineer....for whatever Discovery is doing. most likely answer is they aren't expected (or particularly desired) to survive the mission. Being the Federation, if they do somehow accomplish the task and live to tell about it they will hold up their end of the bargain, though the best Burnham would likely get is a desk job and to be "allowed" to retire on a Commander's pay after failing the promotion board for Captain (O-6) three times so she at least has a Honorable Discharge to start over as a civilian.  

The jumpsuit does resemble the jumpsuits lower ranking crew wore in TOS, though it's just a less obnoxious shade of orange than current prison jumpsuits. Later in the trailer she's wearing a blue uniform (though plainer than the others) again, most likely the jump suit was just the outfit issued when she was processed as a con and she was given uniforms shortly after she agreed to go along with their plans for her.

Though another thing I don't like is that the rumors that they are retconning Star Trek lore like how Disney jettisoned the entire Star Wars expanded universe seems to to be bearing out. The Feds never saw a cloaking device until the Romulans demonstrated it in TOS over a decade later, and the Klingons didn't have one until the movies. Then you have the instant holo communications with Starfleet Command that are beyond even what they had in DS9, a century later, And then the Klingons bear no resemblance at all to Klingons in ENT, TOS or later. Their claims that this is the Prime Universe 10 years before TOS seem to be lies to me. All I can hope for them is that CBS doesn't force Star Trek Online to scrap their lore..based on the existing canon...to conform to STD and the "new" canon.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,722 posts
3,603 battles
1 hour ago, Tiberius67 said:

Though another thing I don't like is that the rumors that they are retconning Star Trek lore like how Disney jettisoned the entire Star Wars expanded universe seems to to be bearing out. The Feds never saw a cloaking device until the Romulans demonstrated it in TOS over a decade later, and the Klingons didn't have one until the movies. Then you have the instant holo communications with Starfleet Command that are beyond even what they had in DS9, a century later, And then the Klingons bear no resemblance at all to Klingons in ENT, TOS or later. Their claims that this is the Prime Universe 10 years before TOS seem to be lies to me. All I can hope for them is that CBS doesn't force Star Trek Online to scrap their lore..based on the existing canon...to conform to STD and the "new" canon.

I don't think it's retcon, as far as I've read the movies are being treated as a alternate universe and this show looks like it's working in the JJ-verse, not the prime universe