Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

Stars in the Sky: The Location of Naval Base

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts

I'm looking at the Naval Base Port, and I see stars in the sky. Some of them seem to form constellations (maybe). I'm not an astronomer though, so I wanted to ask: Are the patterns of the stars "real" as in "occurring in real life?" And if so, at what location would you see the stars like this? Thanks for the answer!

 

Stars2.JPG.c63a27ccfa95b8f118e8f3210230f8ef.JPG

 

Stars.JPG.aae32fdfd2b6deec139feaf687811016.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
235 posts
4,608 battles
2 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

I'm looking at the Naval Base Port, and I see stars in the sky. Some of them seem to form constellations (maybe). I'm not an astronomer though, so I wanted to ask: Are the patterns of the stars "real" as in "occurring in real life?" And if so, at what location would you see the stars like this? Thanks for the answer!

 

Stars2.JPG.c63a27ccfa95b8f118e8f3210230f8ef.JPG

 

Stars.JPG.aae32fdfd2b6deec139feaf687811016.JPG

 

 

Is it me, or does the one in the right sky look like Draco, the dragon (but not really.  It's tail is too long for one thing ...)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts
Just now, Pacific_Cruiser1942 said:

Is it me, or does the one in the right sky look like Draco, the dragon (but not really.  It's tail is too long for one thing ...)?

Maybe. Let me search it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,716 posts
6,524 battles

I'm fairly positive that the 'stars' are just white dots placed in the skybox by WG. They didn't look like constellations to me.

That said, I'm also fairly certain that the dry dock port is just another area of the old premium port(Hawaii), which would mean that the port is located in Hawaii. It's most certainly an American port, as there's a Colorado-class BB in the background and one being constructed, and there's a Fletcher being constructed on the blocks just behind the slipway for destroyers.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,463 battles

I see the the little dipper who's tail star points to polaris, and cassiopea(the W shape)also pointing to polaris. Also, on the right might be cygnus?

That's all got!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts
2 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I'm fairly positive that the 'stars' are just white dots placed in the skybox by WG. They didn't look like constellations to me.

That said, I'm also fairly certain that the dry dock port is just another area of the old premium port(Hawaii), which would mean that the port is located in Hawaii. It's most certainly an American port, as there's a Colorado-class BB in the background and one being constructed, and there's a Fletcher being constructed on the blocks just behind the slipway for destroyers.

Thanks for sharing! But I do feel like they might be stars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts
2 minutes ago, toosonmike said:

I see the the little dipper who's tail star points to polaris, and cassiopea(the W shape)also pointing to polaris. Also, on the right might be cygnus?

That's all got!

 

So your sure they're stars and not randomly placed white dots? Thanks for the info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,128
[HINON]
Members
11,622 posts
Just now, henrychenhenry said:

And how are you so sure of the ships being constructed?

 

It's really apparent if you use the mod that turns it into a day time port. With that lighting you can see a lot of cool details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts
Just now, RipNuN2 said:

 

It's really apparent if you use the mod that turns it into a day time port. With that lighting you can see a lot of cool details.

OK! I've only seen a post asking devs if they could turn the port into daytime, but haven't heard of mods that do that. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,716 posts
6,524 battles
1 minute ago, henrychenhenry said:

And how are you so sure of the ships being constructed?

Because there's animations of sparks and what not to indicate welding, plus the ships are missing things like guns and other armaments. Select a destroyer and move the camera around to see the two ships behind the DD slipway. In fact, if you do a little digging around here, you should find a thread discussing exactly what ships were in the background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts
Just now, GhostSwordsman said:

Because there's animations of sparks and what not to indicate welding, plus the ships are missing things like guns and other armaments. Select a destroyer and move the camera around to see the two ships behind the DD slipway. In fact, if you do a little digging around here, you should find a thread discussing exactly what ships were in the background.

Could I get the thread? And I didn't doubt that ships are being made. I doubted their type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,463 battles

 a long time ago IRL I managed an astronomy shop, and was also a volunteer telescope operator at the university of arizona....who knows though it's WG!

also, the latitude looks to be about 35 degrees. (i made that part up!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts
Just now, toosonmike said:

 a long time ago IRL I managed an astronomy shop, and was also a volunteer telescope operator at the university of arizona....who knows though it's WG!

also, the latitude looks to be about 35 degrees. (i made that part up!)

Could you actually look at the port though? Do the stars' location seem real to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,716 posts
6,524 battles
1 minute ago, henrychenhenry said:

Could I get the thread? And I didn't doubt that ships are being made. I doubted their type.

Here, I believe this was the thread:

Here's one with a clearer image of the Fletcher-class:

And here's one that shows the Colorado-class being outfitted in the background:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts
Just now, GhostSwordsman said:

Here, I believe this was the thread:

Here's one with a clearer image of the Fletcher-class:

And here's one that shows the Colorado-class being outfitted in the background:

 

Thanks for the digging! What's your trick in that? Some searching skills or just lots of time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,463 battles

Panning the west(left side of port)I see orion, and towards the south I see scorpio....can't go any farther up though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,716 posts
6,524 battles
3 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Thanks for the digging! What's your trick in that? Some searching skills or just lots of time?

Google.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts
1 minute ago, toosonmike said:

Panning the west(left side of port)I see orion, and towards the south I see scorpio....can't go any farther up though.

OK, is it because the stars are "fake" or lack of visibility?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,561
[SOUP]
Privateers, Supertester, Modder
8,552 posts

They don't look like any constellation I'm familiar with.
It would be easier to just pull the texture from the game and ship it off to the Hayden Planetarium, they would Q&A this sorta thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts
3 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

They don't look like any constellation I'm familiar with.
It would be easier to just pull the texture from the game and ship it off to the Hayden Planetarium, they would Q&A this sorta thing

OK, then. I just thought somebody in the playerbase would know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,716 posts
6,524 battles
2 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Ah, OK. That;s not a trick!!!

Ah, but it is. Between the lack of anyone bothering to use the search function on the forum, and the fact that it hasn't worked very well since before the forum update/upgrade, Google-fu is a rare(and extremely useful) skill. :Smile-_tongue:

Google has been a go-to to find something specific on the forums as it will usually bring up what you're looking for right at the top. In the above case, I literally typed in "World of warships dry dock ship being built", and the threads I linked were all right from the first result at the top of the google search page.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[NSC]
Members
1,597 posts
3 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Ah, but it is. Between the lack of anyone bothering to use the search function on the forum, and the fact that it hasn't worked very well since before the forum update/upgrade, Google-fu is a rare(and extremely useful) skill. :Smile-_tongue:

Google has been a go-to to find something specific on the forums as it will usually bring up what you're looking for right at the top. In the above case, I literally typed in "World of warships dry dock ship being built", and the threads I linked were all right from the first result at the top of the google search page.

To find the anniversary thread on google 4 days after the post came out, it took 5 searches. Search 1 to refine my search, search 2 to continue refining my search.... I could only find the old special hidden achievements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×