You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Radical_20

Amercan CVs, is a 19 pt captain worth the grind?

12 comments in this topic

Members
122 posts
9,735 battles

Currently I am at Tier 6 of American ships.  Starting at Tier 6, I've decided to alter my gaming style. 1) I don't move captains from ship to ship, and 2) I don't move on to Tier 7 until I've mastered the Tier 6 ships. And by mastered, I mean 19pt captains.

For the Farragut, Cleveland, and New Mexico, this seems fine. I've got their captains up to 15 or 16pts each. The Independence.. only 11 going on 12pts.

But, I wonder, for the CV... is it worth it?

The skills I've trained my captain are (so far): Aircraft Servicing Expert (1), Expert Rear Gunner (2), Emergency Takeoff (3), Air Supremacy (4). I have 1 unused point, and closing in on the next.

I'm playing the ships as an Air Supremacy ship. So I look at the other skills and I wonder, are they worth it? Sure, I could eventually get concealment, or BFT, or AFT, or various Endurance skills, but I think.. Those help the ship itself, not it's air wing. If I look at the scenarios in which those skills come into play.. well.. the ship itself would be under attack. And under those circumstances, the game is probably out of hand (and not in my side's favor).

So.. again.. I ask, Is anything beyond 10 or 12 captain points worth the grind?

And this doesn't apply solely to the Independence I'm currently skilling, but all American CVs.. How many captains skills are enough, and at what point are gaining new ones rarely useful? There are so few skills that apply to the air wing, but to the ship, I just don't know.

Anyway.. thanks for your input and thoughts.

Radical_20.

[HINON]
Members
11,607 posts

Emergency takeoff isnt that great, if you are on fire and still being shot at you are going to die with or without the skill. Try torpedo armament expertise or BFT instead. If you like American CVs go up the tree. Torpedo acceleration is probably better in place of expert rear gunner as well. You can even get some good XP in operations at T6. Once you learn the scenarios you can usually place your CV in a spot that it wont be shot at but can still launch the airgroup close to the action. 10+ points is more than enough to start moving up the tree.

Edited by RipNuN2

[PUGP]
Members
14 posts
2,741 battles

Once you have a 10 point captain i would move on to the next tier, since you don't really need a 19 point captain do well in any ship. Grinding out a 19 point captain takes quite a lot of time without a premium account and flags/camo so i wouldn't bother unless you want to spend money on the game to progress faster.

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,256 posts
12,938 battles

Any 19pt captain is good for one important thing: generating the elite Commander XP, that can level up all your captains or can also be converted to free xp with doubloons. When I get Yamamoto in a couple of weeks, I'll have enough Elite XP to make him a 19. 

Good job on your discipline BTW!

Edited by LancerUlysses

[UDEAD]
Members
708 posts
6,621 battles

Yes. It is worth it. A 19 point captain is very strong in a USN CV especially mid tier AS builds. Drop emergency take off. Take BFT or Demolition expert. Expert rear gunner is fine for AS builds. Use dog fighting expert for your other tier I skill. I currently have a 17 point captain that I use in Lexington, Enterprise and Independence. Those are my only CVs and my CV stats continue to rise. They should only get better as I get into the Essex where I can run strike and have fighters. When properly buffed one USN fighter squad is more than enough to get strikes through and cover high tier ships with weak AA. Continue the grind and properly buff your fighters. Acknowledge and accept the fact that in AS USN CVs your job is to prevent damage not deal it.

[DONUT]
Members
438 posts
6,100 battles

19 pt captain is worth it for the elite XP in any ship or tier. 

I disagree with your AS idea.  At higher tiers the AA gets so intense you will have difficulty keeping fighters in the sky.  If you want to run AS become an expert on strafing.  And its good if you have a division or team who will use their AA to assist you.  Too many times I see players using P and that puts a heavy burden on the air wing. 

[BANDI]
Members
94 posts
15,373 battles

Sure it worth:

You need skills that improve your fighters. Most of the time you have to deal with 2 enemy F squads and you probably have only one. Better if it is a good one

You need to master your AA and your guns. As CV player, probably you have already experienced that you will be alone (very alone and zero support) and it is well known that red CVs prefer lonely / isolated targets. Good news are that after  T8 Lex that it is no longer a problem, but you need the proper setup. Check: no experienced Shokakus will ever try to snipe you. Strike Lex, perhaps. And in T9 and T10, if it is not frequent that red CV try to snipe you, but if he has to or you are the last man standing, then you are ready. With this options, your secondaries will also improve. I have beaten DDs that came too close many times. Make no illusions. A DD that snaked closer to you has the odds but not 100% nor 80%.

Faster torpedoes are always welcome. It is shameful when after a perfect approach, a red DD outruns your torps. Overpowered Russian DDs can if you don't pick that option. Faster TorpBombers deployment is not an option to me, but it dependes mostly of your way to use them.

Concealment. You need badly any improvement you can get. Lex and Essex are terrible in this issue and vs T9 BBs there is almost no corner that they can not reach with their guns. But with the proper setup things improve, and besides you can then play closer to the battlefield.

Less than 15 skills with a Lex and beyond make no sense to me. I am attaching my Lex skills.

Lex skills.jpg

Edited by YankeeVictor
  • Cool 2

[DONUT]
Members
438 posts
6,100 battles

The thing I like most about CV is that they are a reliable source of XP.  Its rare to be #1 in team score but you are almost always in the top half.  If you position your CV carefully you rarely get sunk so you are alive longer to score points.  That makes grinding to 19 pt captain easier in the long run. 

[PS1HD]
Members
55 posts
1,490 battles

Personal opinion based on expirience: after you reach your 11 point captain your captain points matter less until you get into the higher tiers and AA becomes a necessity and not a side benefit.

One of the lesser used skills I recommend getting is demolition expert to increase your chance of causing a fire when using Did

Additionally torp acceleration is not always a good skill to get, for example the big E and the GZ get better results when they retain their torp range

[FAE]
Members
2,368 posts
2,911 battles

....... do you have any idea how much longer it takes to get from 16 to 19?? and how much darn faster t9 and t10 make exp?? (each tier really)

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles

I think it great getting to Commander  to skill 19 in US or IJN. But let u know there are bugs in the tier X Midway. As far I exp bad MM, crash with mod players, really bad Lag, & more crash for unknown reason.  

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,841 battles
On 9/24/2017 at 9:31 PM, RipNuN2 said:

Try torpedo armament expertise or BFT instead. If you like American CVs go up the tree. Torpedo acceleration is probably better in place of expert rear gunner as well. 

I would recommend both skills. Torpedo acceleration makes it easier to hit enemy ships and expert rear gunner can help with the float planes and somewhat with enemy fighters. OP as for your question besides a few core skills Captain skills are all ship related and up to your discretion on weather you want them or not. I would suggest having BFT and AFT since enemy CV get annoyed with AS builds rather quickly.