You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bassmasta76

Incoming Fire Alert

10 comments in this topic

[5IN]
Supertester
2,047 posts
9,657 battles

I may be in the minority, but I use Incoming Fire Alert on all of my captains.  I got used to it from my early days in WoWs and find it to be very useful, especially on my DDs.  

Anyway, I've noticed that since one of the recent patches, it doesn't always notify of incoming fire, or perhaps as accurately as before.  Its hard to explain, but it doesn't seem to work as well as it did before (0.6.10 I think).

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I'd almost liken it to a delay in the alert coming through.  Just curious.

B

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,616 battles

I've used PT instead, so I wouldn't know.

Members
9,915 posts
12,365 battles
3 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I've used PT instead, so I wouldn't know.

this,,,,and it is a much better skill

And from what I remember, IFA will not work if you are being shot but not targeted... in other word, the same way you can fool PT by unlocking your guns for a brief moment....you can fire at a ship you do not have locked and they will not get an alert...

Members
4,729 posts
8,264 battles
14 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

I may be in the minority, but I use Incoming Fire Alert on all of my captains.  I got used to it from my early days in WoWs and find it to be very useful, especially on my DDs.  

Anyway, I've noticed that since one of the recent patches, it doesn't always notify of incoming fire, or perhaps as accurately as before.  Its hard to explain, but it doesn't seem to work as well as it did before (0.6.10 I think).

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I'd almost liken it to a delay in the alert coming through.  Just curious.

B

I have never used it.  Do you really feel it is very useful?  I am serious. Hell I know I got incoming when I get blowed up. :Smile_teethhappy:

[5IN]
Supertester
2,047 posts
9,657 battles

Yes, I find it useful.  I suppose its a matter of preference.  

Like I said, its hard to explain, but it doesnt seem to alert as well as before the recent patches.

As for player skill, maybe in Higher tiers, but even low tiers it seems different.  

B

Members
5,717 posts
6,524 battles

Are you sure that the incoming fire isn't at least 6 seconds out? That's always been a requirement for the skill to activate, artillery fire needs to have at least 6 seconds of travel time in order for it to alert you.

Members
5,159 posts

The best approach is to just assume you are being shot at all of the time. Dodge always. After a while the movements will become second nature. Nowadays I don't even think about dodging, my hands just perform the actions naturally while I fight, and then I notice shell splashes around me. Just remember that the road to improvement isn't easy. 

In relation to the skill, audio is right. Since PT became a skill, players have been metagaming around it by untargeting. This happens to counter IFA as well. 

[5IN]
Supertester
2,047 posts
9,657 battles

Yes, I'm aware of the 6s aspect of the skill.  

It takes longer than 6s for a BB shell to reach me from around 20k.  I see a ship targetting me, he shoots, and there is a delay on the alert when there didn't used to be one.  

It doesnt matter.  I'll just assume its me and leave it at that.  

Thanks.

B

[HELLS]
Members
2,297 posts
21,924 battles

Depends on what you want. My alternate KGV captain has it (I use my RN 19-pointer in KGV and my premiums most of the time), and this afternoon, I took out a full health DD with a snap shot broadside without locking on at a respectable range. I was working from behind cover on the move chasing a cruiser and the shot presented itself while I was looking in the right direction between two islands on the Shatter map for about three seconds. The warning came up. I had lost sight of the DD about a minute earlier and tried to stay clued to where he might be. The warning saved me from his torps and guns when he fired at me because he fired at the same time as me and I got out of the way easily given the range. One  of the rare times that I have actually had a DD kill at a decent distance in a BB with a single salvo. Usually it works the other way around! Check Six. All the time. Been deleted a few times myself by other folks while running a DD, so fair is fair!

[GLF]
Members
879 posts
13,400 battles

All my 19pt captains have IFA because what the hell else am I gonna use that one last point for?  It is especially useful in my dd play when i am focused on my HE spamming, I know when to make a 15* course change to avoid all fire lol.   I haven't noticed any difference in its performance.  Wish they would bring back the old indicator for it though.