45 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
9,141 battles

Am i the only one that absolutely hates this ship for Tier 8.  

They brought out the Kii and two of the "Cons" that WG listed..

The Bad

• Slow gun reloading

• High detectability

• Short gun range for her tier

The Ugly

• Poor broadside protection; heightens vulnerability when unleashing a full salvo

So, The KII.. has a little slower reload than every other t8 bb.. but made up for it in AP damage. it still has a decent Dam/Min ratio.

Monarch on the other hand.. has the lowest AP dam/min ratio of all of the.... It has the SHORTEST range guns ... List on Kii as a Bad at 19.4 that must mean the Monarch 18.1 is absolute crap. Oh but you don't get detected in the Monarch.. yeah.. with the Monarch's armor the LAST thing you want to do is actually get close enough to use your guns, Pen from the front is better than the KGV but still can be pen'ed nose up by every other battleship. And forget giving anything that closely resembles a broadside, you will get shreded since what's listed as "the ugly" on the Kii is even worse in the Monarch. 

Monarch is basically a KGV with a little more HP and bigger guns.. but it's Slower, much worse turret traverse  and the bottom of the list in T8 period in EVERY respect except detection.

I am a Battleship player. it's my preferred class. Absolutely loved the KGV, the lower RN BB's were decent nothing special but also not horridly under powered.

Monarch on the other hand has no range, no armor, no DPM, and does not get the (health kit) bonus of the Lion or Conq. It is without a doubt one of the worst grinds in this game.  The Ugly List for this ship is extensive. Play it like a paper Cruiser and you might end the game with 200k+ damage but play it like a battleship and you will sink.

I have better than a 60% win rate in the Monarch and averaging about 72k with 150k high. This will be one ship i keep ONLY because i have port space and it's own special Camo. I wont use it any further than to get the Lion.

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

I heard all the hate about the Monarch before I got to her. And I was prepared to skip past it. Imagine my surprise when I started enjoying the heck out of her. Is she the best tier 8 around? No. but it isn't a horrible ship. I will keep it for the tier 8 meta once I finish her. 

Beta Testers
317 posts
4,889 battles

So you have a 60% win rate, avg 72k damage and have nothing good to say about it? That's about the same stats as your other T8s. I think your sending mixed signals there.

I have found that alot of players either like the KGV or the Monarch but not both. I hated the KGV and couldn't wait to sell it, the Monarch works much better for me and I feel 100% opposite about it as the OP does.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,871 posts
32,105 battles
On 9/25/2017 at 5:48 PM, EmGee42 said:

So you have a 60% win rate, avg 72k damage and have nothing good to say about it? That's about the same stats as your other T8s. I think your sending mixed signals there.

I have found that alot of players either like the KGV or the Monarch but not both. I hated the KGV and couldn't wait to sell it, the Monarch works much better for me and I feel 100% opposite about it as the OP does.

I was told that I probably wanted to Free XP past the KGV. No - I thoroughly enjoyed that ship. Especially once I embraced the brain dead HE. 

Monarch on the other hand just doesn't work for me. I love Bismarck and Alabama/NC. Amagi works fine. But I'm on the verge of getting more Free XP flags just to get to the Lion without suffering through Monarch any more. She's the BB equivalent of the Edinburgh:  somewhat improved over the T7 in most respects but totally out of her depth at Tier 8 when you face 9s and 10s most of the time. Only Monarch loses 5% fire chance compared to KGV. Whut?

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles
On 9/25/2017 at 4:48 PM, EmGee42 said:

I've liked both of them so far. The KGV feels a little more "fun" to play, but that might just be the tiering that it gets. Once you get to 8 you tend to get a lot of 10s.

Members
115 posts
215 battles

Well i'm enjoying Monarch so far, W/R is poor but damage and most other stats are well above average winch makes me think the W/R will look after itself after enough games. 

Beta Testers
1,255 posts
6,244 battles

My only real issue with the Monarch is the range.  18.1 kms is really short and all BBs will be our ranging you, hell a lot of the CAs you will come up against will have similar ranges.  I might just be use to the 21km range on the tier VIII KM BBs, at least the lower detect makes it easier to close to within gun range.

Members
74 posts
21,280 battles

I def preferred the KGV a bit more than Monarch, but simply because KGV felt god-mode at t7, and Monarch feels kinda 'meh'. Dispersion feels somewhat wonky, and I've had some bad hits on T10s (nothing like hitting 6/9 shells at 15k, and getting only 3k total damage and no fire). But it happens; I like the Monarch, and will be holding on to her for t8 meta as well as that nice perma camo :D

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,471 posts
19,599 battles
On 10/3/2017 at 9:36 AM, Bril01 said:

My only real issue with the Monarch is the range.  18.1 kms is really short and all BBs will be our ranging you, hell a lot of the CAs you will come up against will have similar ranges.  I might just be use to the 21km range on the tier VIII KM BBs, at least the lower detect makes it easier to close to within gun range.

If you're regularly engaging from 18km+ away, you're doing it wrong. Especially in a KM BB. Frankly, all BBs should have their range dropped to 18-20km to make people sit less far back... People think they're supposed to be at max range and somehow never understand that they'd hit a lot more shots if they moved in just a few km

[WOLF3]
Members
22,426 posts
20,527 battles

I do not have Monarch.  I do have and like KGV, Nelson, and Conqueror for the Tier VII+ RN BBs.  That said, I encounter Monarchs so rarely that I have no assessment about her capability when facing her.  So all I have to go by are looking at stats.

XDh5pST.jpg

Keep in mind, Tier VIII BBs is a very good, yet very harsh spot.

"Good"

For most parts, those are some very good BBs there, a number of which are among the most played ships of the game.  You'll find "Believers" for any of these BBs.

"Harsh"

They still have to occasionally pay the piper and play against Tier X ships.

Yet Tier VIII BBs tend to be the most played.

That said, in terms of stats for Monarch, it seems:

- Decent WR of 50% despite the presence of many good BBs in Tier VIII alone.

- Significantly higher Dmg Average, the only one averaging at least 60k.  This is just like Conqueror in terms of markedly higher Dmg Avg.

- That higher Dmg Avg has not translated into a more winning ship than its peers with more average Dmg numbers.  This is a pattern that repeats itself with several ships in this line.

Beta Testers
1,255 posts
6,244 battles
2 hours ago, poeticmotion said:

If you're regularly engaging from 18km+ away, you're doing it wrong. Especially in a KM BB.

You don;t always get to choice when you engage or whom you engage.  In my KM BB I will always get within secondary range but that doesn't mean that floating ship visible from the moon isn't going to be engaged long before that.  With about 3kms less than other BBs in it's weight the Monarch frequently has to sail into the fire before it has a chance to return it.   That was my point.

Beta Testers
25 posts
1,735 battles

KGV was ok...but since I have the Nelson and wasn't interested in a BB so reliant on HE, I sold it.

Monarch is ok...can't say I love it, but unless I get severely uptiered, I don't feel like it's any less effective than an Amagi or Bismarch. 

Hope WG doesn't hit the Conq too hard with the nerf bat.

[NET]
Beta Testers
500 posts
4,769 battles

idk why the hate but i find her an easy to handle bb. with the permanent camo i earned and captain skills and upgrades, she is super stealty. the guns may not have super range but with her stealth you can dictate your engagements. use HE with flags and demolition expert, and she sets fires almost every volley fired. she has decent speed to flex and turns well. armor is squishy but forget getting citadeled. i love this ship and will hate to sell her but i hear the lion is even better,

Beta Testers
27 posts
3,900 battles

Her range in a tier X match is a joke (16.5) end tier cruisers rip her apart with faster reloads and the closer you get to your range puts you  right in the DD hunting area's. 

Members
2,257 posts
13,327 battles

Monarch was the most "MEH" ship I've owned thus far. I've played just about every tier 8 BB and I rate her at the bottom. She does nothing particularly well. She is slow, not very maneuverable, meh AA, no hydro, the guns are average at best. DD and CV torpedo's account for 90% of the times where I was sunk. Monarch finds herself in tier 10 battles 75% of the time where she is completely out-classed. In comparison, I can still do quite well with Bismarck when up-tiered. 

I couldn't get rid of her fast enough.  

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 2

Members
1,850 posts
16,101 battles

Enjoyed the RN BB line... until I got to the Monarch.  Short range, bad dispersion and tier 8 MM make this the turd of the line.  Got tired of always being tiered up, of watching sub 8 KM AP shots sail around a broadside target. Fire starting was meh, seemed like most games could get a initial fire started, but once the target used repair, could not get another going.  Got so frustrated last night, finally free exp'ed the last 89k to unshackle myself.  Will see how the Lion goes

[RNG]
Members
107 posts
10,526 battles

Oh man... am I glad I'm not alone.  Absolute crapship.  It's odd because the shells on the Monarch are the same as the Bismarck but they seem SO WEAK! and that's if you hit something.  What's the rated dispersion on the guns? Because I swear it's worse than the Germans.  Terrible ship and will be ecstatic when I get rid of it. Tempted to just free XP my way through it.

dark.png

Edited by FreshSqueezed
  • Cool 1

[LUFF]
Beta Testers
17 posts
5,534 battles

I usually rate ships not so much on stats but on 'fun' factor. Is this a ship I'll play again and keep in my fleet? I had a good time with the KGV and still run it from time to time and while I don't hate the Monarch, I find it very average and unremarkable so if I ever get around to getting the Lion, it's the scrapyard for this RN BB. And to show kinda where I'm coming from, the Scharnhorst is my favorite ship in game. On the other hand, I've always enjoyed setting other ships aflame, I just don't like being on the receiving end. :) Good hunting!

[FKK]
Members
579 posts
23,246 battles

I must be doing something wrong in the Monarch. The dispersion in mine is awful. I mean AWFUL. Maybe it will get better with time?

[WOLF3]
Members
22,426 posts
20,527 battles
On 12/24/2017 at 5:57 AM, FKKarpeDiem said:

I must be doing something wrong in the Monarch. The dispersion in mine is awful. I mean AWFUL. Maybe it will get better with time?

I felt the dispersion was average for its caliber and range capability.   I slot ASM1 in mine though.

[FKK]
Members
579 posts
23,246 battles
19 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I felt the dispersion was average for its caliber and range capability.   I slot ASM1 in mine though.

I do too, but it isnt helping much... I have just swapped the Cptn up to a 19 and maybe the dispersion will get better as he specializes?

[WOLF3]
Members
22,426 posts
20,527 battles
3 hours ago, FKKarpeDiem said:

I do too, but it isnt helping much... I have just swapped the Cptn up to a 19 and maybe the dispersion will get better as he specializes?

There is no captain trait to improve main battery dispersion.  Reload time?  Sure, with Adrenaline Rush.  But not dispersion.  Only ASM1 (APRM2 for USN BBs).  Not even the research Gunfire Control System modules improve dispersion.  KGV at Tier VII is the same way.  Her dispersion isn't any better for her tier but she can fire relatively fast (for a BB) to make up for it.  Monarch has the same reload time.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.