You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zatriel_Blue

What is the mindset of a solo player?

88 comments in this topic

Members
31 posts
6,882 battles

I see a few clans starting that are basically for solo players and I am curious as to why they like solo play over group play. From my perspective, my clan pretty much makes the game a blast for me and I 100% would go nuts grinding to t10 solo. I am not trying to belittle any solo players with this. I genuinely want to know because solo play perplexes me in a team based game.

[4HIM]
Members
2,599 posts
8,708 battles

I for one am mostly just trying to grind up through the trees, learn the game play, and perhaps build some Commander skills.  I'm trying to progress beyond simply being a bottom of the bag potato.  Plus I can't plan a regular time schedule when I know I'll be available for a clan game.  But in the latest patch there are advantages to just being a member of a clan.  Once I progress and learn the game a bit better, that might change.  In future I may want to squad up and get on voice comm to co-ordinate game play.  I'm just not there yet.  But squadding up with comm is one way I have really improved in other games. 

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

I'm in a clan.  When I play solo, it's because I have a specific grind of my own to work on, and I don't feel like getting pulled into training/scrimmage/divisions that won't advance that goal.

Members
4,875 posts
8,127 battles

"Solo " players can also play for the team they are on...  Not like everyone on the server except for the solo player have comms running and are planning and leaving the solo player out of the loop.  I have no friends that pay games and know very few in the forums.  The times I cam play are very erratic and even though I have a 'friends' list in the game - rarely is more than 1 on when I am playing.

Considering a clan for the benefits but it will likely be a solo clan.  Competitive clans would likely never take me as my 'stats' are not all that great.

Edited by CylonRed
  • Cool 1

Members
3,413 posts
17,517 battles

I'm in a clan and I play solo quite a bit because I'm married with kids and sometimes I can only squeeze in a game here and then I have to go do a honeydew and then I get another 20 minutes to play only one game and then kids want something and then I get another 20 minutes couple hours later excetera excetera it's hard to division up with somebody when you can only commit to one game at a time

• Cool 5

[MIA-P]
Supertester
1,655 posts
5,725 battles
2 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I'm in a clan and I play solo quite a bit because I'm married with kids and sometimes I can only squeeze in a game here and then I have to go do a honeydew and then I get another 20 minutes to play only one game and then kids want something and then I get another 20 minutes couple hours later excetera excetera it's hard to division up with somebody when you can only commit to one game at a time

This is a significant factor.  Don't assume that the majority of people playing this game are 14 year olds with no responsibilities.  A lot of people are married with kids, jobs, families or other things you'd reasonably expect of adulthood.  For me, i play predominantly solo because i have interruptions constantly, and that just doesn't work with divisions to say at the end of each match "oh go ahead without me" or "wait 5 mins".  Solo, i can squeeze in many more games than i can in divisions, while not holding other people up.  if i'm dead but my division keeps playing on for 10 more minutes, i'm stuck.  That's another game i could have been playing solo.

I like playing with others, but i don't like making them deal with my distractions.

• Cool 7

[PVE]
Members
16,869 posts
10,908 battles
16 minutes ago, Zatriel_Blue said:

I see a few clans starting that are basically for solo players and I am curious as to why they like solo play over group play. From my perspective, my clan pretty much makes the game a blast for me and I 100% would go nuts grinding to t10 solo. I am not trying to belittle any solo players with this. I genuinely want to know because solo play perplexes me in a team based game.

Pretty much the posts below for me.

10 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I for one am mostly just trying to grind up through the trees, learn the game play, and perhaps build some Commander skills.  I'm trying to progress beyond simply being a bottom of the bag potato.  Plus I can't plan a regular time schedule when I know I'll be available for a clan game.  But in the latest patch there are advantages to just being a member of a clan.  Once I progress and learn the game a bit better, that might change.  In future I may want to squad up and get on voice comm to co-ordinate game play.  I'm just not there yet.  But squadding up with comm is one way I have really improved in other games. 

Just now, silverdahc said:

I started PvE clan as I play 10:1 PvE/PvP. The serious players like to play PvP a lot and I don't. I play PvP when I feel it is worth the reward for it. I feel bad when I make a mistake in PvP and give someone first blood on the other team. I am 50ish percent WR in PvP, but I don't like the stress of PvP. So our clan is play as you like when you like and no pressure to div up or use comms. Use them if you want, but not a requirement. The only requirement is to play fair, don't stat shame and don't TK on purpose. Otherwise, play how you like when you can and we will get some bonuses as well.  

Members
1,234 posts
15,649 battles

While being part of a clan means that you'll know something about how your clan mates play being thrown in with a "team" of strangers is hardly ideal.

I've been playing board war games for 50 years. I can look at a map and our teams spawning positions and can spot within seconds our strategic and tactical strengths and the enemies weak spots. Very few people have that kind of training and trying to convey that knowledge through chat is near impossible. So I'm not going to join that lemming train headed off in one direction leaving the home base or an entire flank undefended. It often gets me killed but I'll always try to do what is best for my side even if no one else can see it.

• Cool 2

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,850 posts
4,861 battles

Because I refuse to use voice comm...and I can continue to grind other ships should I wreck the one I'm in.

• Cool 3

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,738 posts
22,828 battles

Solo for me means I can do as I please without any commitments to others

• Cool 4

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,621 posts
6,965 battles

I've been thinking off and on about joining a proper clan for some time now, but as a graduate student I never felt I had the time or flexibility to participate in clan events, and the nature of my living arrangements means I'm somewhat limited in when I can actually use my microphone.

So I decided to join a solo clan to get the benefits from the new naval bases.  I still division with my friends whenever possible, and maybe someday when my life settles down a bit I'll join a real clan, but for now I just don't think I can make it work.   

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,511 battles

I play a good bit of solo because sometimes I play when there is no one from my clan online or they already formed a full division. Sometimes I just don't want to share my damages with those greedy bastards. :Smile_playing:

[WISCO]
[WISCO]
Members
227 posts
6,344 battles

I have a clan with 2 friends that I work with.  If these 2 friends did not play I am not sure I would be in a clan or division.  Sounds weird but for me it always felt "odd" to me to try and become online friends with clanmates.  

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
2,599 posts
8,708 battles
26 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Competitive clans would likely never take me as my 'stats' are not all that great.

Same here.  Perhaps I'll get better with time.  But at present a competitive clan would give me the boot after the first game.  

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers
100 posts
6,186 battles

The main reason you're seeing said clans appearing is because Wargaming has decided to use the clan system to essentially gate a number of benefits behind it. Gamers are smart, they adapt, solo clans are just an adaptation to some strange decision making.

As for solo over group? For me it's simple, I've done clan/guild/whatever competitive gaming for the best part of the last two decades and put bluntly I'm sick of it, there is simply no appeal to me any more in the idea that to be considered a valued member of the team I have to be online at such and such a time in such and such a class with such and such a loadout while maintaining a minimum X:Y KDR and attending all manner of "training" and if I fall short on any of the above the fact that I've been one of the most active and highest contributing members for years counts for nothing, I'm out.

I'm all for group play, especially in modes marked as competitive, God knows I've spoken out enough as to the crap state of options in ranked battles when it comes to team play, but the blunt fact of the matter is that I am simply not prepared to pay the price that some of the little Nelsons out there demand. If soloing is the only other option, then so be it.

Members
1,507 posts
1,138 battles

- Limited time during the week where I can play

- Frequent switching between randoms, co-op, and operations

- Freedom to choose whatever ship I feel like playing

- Freedom to focus grind

• Cool 1

Members
691 posts
1,189 battles

This is only one of money games that occupy my free-time. I don't have the commitment or interest in dedicating all my time into playing this game in a clan. When I do play it's usually because my IRL friends want to play and I'm usually playing whatever tier they want. Other then that I like to play solo when I get the urge for ships because then I can grind whatever ship I feel like. Which currently happens to be several lines at once...very efficient. 

[CK5]
Members
1,124 posts
10,266 battles

I play solo because I can play when I want to without having someone trying to tell me what to do or having to baby sit someone else.  

[HUNGS]
Members
1,722 posts
3,603 battles

Got to agree with some points, I have a family also so sometimes I can only hit a quick game, sometimes I just want to play a specific ship, and I've been in a few clans in a couple games and they always seem to degrade into drama eventually

[NDA]
Supertester
3,919 posts
1,564 battles
1 hour ago, InvalidKey said:

This [edit: the whole 'married with kids' thing] is a significant factor.  Don't assume that the majority of people playing this game are 14 year olds with no responsibilities.  A lot of people are married with kids, jobs, families or other things you'd reasonably expect of adulthood.  For me, i play predominantly solo because i have interruptions constantly, and that just doesn't work with divisions to say at the end of each match "oh go ahead without me" or "wait 5 mins".  Solo, i can squeeze in many more games than i can in divisions, while not holding other people up.  if i'm dead but my division keeps playing on for 10 more minutes, i'm stuck.  That's another game i could have been playing solo.

I like playing with others, but i don't like making them deal with my distractions.

InvalidKey summed up my own thought process on this issue quite nicely.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I play solo because:

my rl friends aren't into this game.

The time of day and length of time I can play are very erratic.

I don't like being on comms with strangers.

When the game starts, I work with the team. Think of it as team play under radio silence.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
16,869 posts
10,908 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

When the game starts, I work with the team. Think of it as team play under radio silence.

:Smile_teethhappy:

[SIM]
Members
4,003 posts
6,751 battles

I prefer to team with friends, and none of my friends play WoWs. Ergo, for me, there's no difference between divisioning with strangers versus playing solo, except in a division we all have to agree on ship tier and then wait for battles to finish where we might otherwise be able to move onto the next game more quickly. Also, I'm a grumbler and miserable to be on voice comms with.