Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

First Pink

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
163 posts
411 battles

I bought a Tier II Umikaze to learn about DD's and Torps.  Been having a pretty hard time lining up the Green and Gray targeting cones and launching effective salvos.  4-5 battles into it I fired from too great a distance into too congested an area and although the cones were lined up when I fired, a friendly snuck in between and took 4 amidships.  Needless to say I'm now Pink and working off my 5 battle penalty.

 

Tricky thing launching these torpedoes from a DD.   Have to learn how to target them properly and be close enough to the target to hit it (and only it) without getting shredded in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
7 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

I bought a Tier II Umikaze to learn about DD's and Torps.  Been having a pretty hard time lining up the Green and Gray targeting cones and launching effective salvos.  4-5 battles into it I fired from too great a distance into too congested an area and although the cones were lined up when I fired, a friendly snuck in between and took 4 amidships.  Needless to say I'm now Pink and working off my 5 battle penalty.

 

Tricky thing launching these torpedoes from a DD.   Have to learn how to target them properly and be close enough to the target to hit it (and only it) without getting shredded in the process.

Its a 7 game penalty now and the cvs get hit harder?odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,683
[-BRS-]
Members
3,413 posts
17,512 battles

Being a destroyer main and been pink many times never fire torps  from behind friendly because they can turn into it any moment and eat them

the other trick is being really aware of your mini-map because somebody can sneak into  your screen as you fire torpedoes and take hits  but the main trick is never to fire from behind your team 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
163 posts
411 battles
12 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

Being a destroyer main and been pink many times never fire torps  from behind friendly because they can turn into it any moment and eat them

the other trick is being really aware of your mini-map because somebody can sneak into  your screen as you fire torpedoes and take hits  but the main trick is never to fire from behind your team 

Thanks for the tips.  I think I gave AI more credit than it deserves.  I was so pleased with myself for finally getting the firing cones lined up that it didn't occur to me that the AI wouldn't alert me if a friendly was in jeopardy before I pulled the trigger.  Just one more thing to be aware of.  

 

BTW, it was "only" a 5 game penalty but I swear a friendly intentionally rammed me at the end of my 5th probationary battle and although clearly his fault I had to play another game in the Pink (6 in total).  That on top of the few times teammates shot me at the first of a battle - just for jollies I guess.  Surely they must realize I'm playing in Co-Ops for a reason.

Welcome to WoWS  :Smile_Default:

Edited by OldFrog75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,683
[-BRS-]
Members
3,413 posts
17,512 battles

Right that's the hard part you cant scratch any paint while pink and being low tiered in a destroyer there's many times there's a friendly Destroyer right next to you that's the other hard thing is in knife  really easy to throw Torpedoes the wrong way in a panic

 

And being a pink Destroyer how many times do you set a Smokescreen and somebody comes in that screen with you and oops bump trash paint sorry one more game for you

Edited by silverdahc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,241 posts
10,580 battles

Can't tell you how many times I KNEW I was safe firing with friendlies in front of me, only to have said friendly inexplicably turn and intercept my torpedos with incredible skill.  Now I just don't take the shot with friendlies ahead.  Ever

Edited by Spooooooooooooooooooooon
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
609
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,839 posts
18,625 battles

Thank you for not whining and saying the mechanic doesn't work.  I've turned pink a few times and it has always been my fault for taking risky shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,135
[NDA]
Supertester
3,919 posts
1,564 battles

Yes, if you're playing co-op, the AI is incredibly stupid.  They'll eat your torps often.  They'll torp *you* often.

Also, the guidance 'cone' is just that, a guide.  It only shows you at any given moment where your torps will hit if the target remains at the same speed and heading.  Unfortunately, the AI knows when you fire torps and will maneuver, so using the guide against AI ships will actually hit less often than it will against live targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
163 posts
411 battles
24 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Thank you for not whining and saying the mechanic doesn't work.  I've turned pink a few times and it has always been my fault for taking risky shots.

You won't get much whining from me.  I've played enough WoT to have a pretty good idea how the WG Mechanics work.  There are more than a few differences here (e.g., learning how to aim and fire Torpedoes) but MM, RNG, and Battle Mechanics are all concepts I'm familiar with.   :Smile_Default:

Edited by OldFrog75
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,190
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,853 posts
17,446 battles
2 hours ago, OldFrog75 said:

Tricky thing launching these torpedoes from a DD.

And yet not one snivel, not one whine, not one "IT WAS ALL HIS FAULT!" Sir, to you, +1!

2 hours ago, joris92 said:

A little tip: Never launch torps when you can hit a friendly :)

HUGE tip! HUGE, HUGE tip!

1 hour ago, silverdahc said:

Being a destroyer main and been pink many times never fire torps  from behind friendly because they can turn into it any moment and eat them

yeah

1 hour ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Can't tell you how many times I KNEW I was safe firing with friendlies in front of me, only to have said friendly inexplicably turn and intercept my torpedos with incredible skill.

oh hell yeah!

16 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Yes, if you're playing co-op, the AI is incredibly stupid.  They'll eat your torps often.  They'll torp *you* often.

Also hell yeah

This is the bottom line; you are responsible for ALL the ordinance you fire in any match.

26 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Thank you for not whining and saying the mechanic doesn't work.

And acting like a responsible adult! Again, +1!

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,135
[NDA]
Supertester
3,919 posts
1,564 battles
4 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

You won't get much whining from me.  I've played enough WoT to have a pretty good idea how the WG Mechanics work.  There are more than a few differences here (e.g., learning how to aim and fire Torpedoes) but MM, RNG, and Battle Mechanics are all concepts I'm familiar with.   :Smile_Default:

There's folks around here with 10K+ battles that could learn a lot from you! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
163 posts
411 battles

Slightly OT but is there a mechanism in the game mechanics that prevents the auto-firing secondary armaments on a BB from shooting a teammate in close quarters combat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
257 posts
4,715 battles
5 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

Slightly OT but is there a mechanism in the game mechanics that prevents the auto-firing secondary armaments on a BB from shooting a teammate in close quarters combat?

Secondaries haven't caused friendly fire in a very long time.   I once got 3 TK's in a match playing a BB on Solomons.   2 kills were low health allies taken out by secondaries. One was an RNG shot clipping a superstructure.  WG changed the secondary policy weeks after that. 

 

Like others have said:  when playing DD's, know your concealment and torp ranges.  Never fire when a friendly is in front.   Be careful about friendlies on the far side of the target. I was in a match where myself & another DD TK'd each other firing torps on an enemy between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,285
[RKLES]
Members
10,226 posts
11,956 battles
12 hours ago, OldFrog75 said:

Thanks for the tips.  I think I gave AI more credit than it deserves.  I was so pleased with myself for finally getting the firing cones lined up that it didn't occur to me that the AI wouldn't alert me if a friendly was in jeopardy before I pulled the trigger.  Just one more thing to be aware of.  

 

BTW, it was "only" a 5 game penalty but I swear a friendly intentionally rammed me at the end of my 5th probationary battle and although clearly his fault I had to play another game in the Pink (6 in total).  That on top of the few times teammates shot me at the first of a battle - just for jollies I guess.  Surely they must realize I'm playing in Co-Ops for a reason.

Welcome to WoWS  :Smile_Default:

That is why I like working my pink status off in Operations where TK is turned off I think so they can't do that to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
232 posts
6,075 battles
On 9/24/2017 at 4:26 PM, Comrade_Nemo said:

Like others have said:  when playing DD's, know your concealment and torp ranges.  Never fire when a friendly is in front.   Be careful about friendlies on the far side of the target. I was in a match where myself & another DD TK'd each other firing torps on an enemy between.

Seconded. It's astounding how many times I see players in ships with 6km torps firing them when the nearest target is 10km or more away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TXT-]
Members
3 posts
8,047 battles

Something you will learn quickly is how to read your opponent and "guess" where that person will be going next. This is the key to landing torp hits every-other, if not every, salvo launched from your tubes.

 

The Light-Grey and Green Overlap is only the current targets trajectory and speed and taking into account your torp speed... its an intercept course plotted by the captain's crew. Don't focus too much on lining them up, but rather focus on how much it COULD change between launching your torps and them actually getting there. If you have 3x3 torp tubes, and the target is a slow BB going broadside, place the first salvo slightly behind, second salvo dead on, and third salvo slightly ahead. If that BB turns in like he should when he spots the first torps, he will hit most of the others. If he turns away, he will probably hit more. If he does nothing, you still hit him.

 

Also keep in mind your spread. Wide spread will do no good at long ranges most of the time they are easily avoided. Try to cluster small spreads together at long ranges if you have an actual target. You can also launch a cluster small spread, and the next cluster wide spread, to create a complex pattern that the target would have to avoid.

 

Just a few things I've picked up along the way. Good luck to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
742 posts
5,607 battles

Nothing hard at all about not torping allies. Simply don't fire torps NEAR allies. 

Flip side of the coin, sometimes going pink is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[NSEW]
Members
1,382 posts
9,591 battles

Most recent incident, true story.

 

I was in a Tier 4 destroyer. turning into the target about to show itself around the island. Shot.

Omaha comes rushing into the line of fire. Absorbs one torpedo, sinks. Followed by a text from him; "Oops, sorry".

Which I literally facepalmed. Replied "Thanks for the pink status".

 

No matter how experienced you are, or how many games you have under your belt. It will happen eventually. Just like Super Container ratios... Oh, I miss thee!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×