Sign in to follow this  
Ericson38

From Orion to the Iron Duke

16 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
Members
1,088 posts
12,903 battles

Orion is a great ship for me. Is the Iron Duke less effective at its tier level, or about as strong with same playstyle. Thanks

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
8,225 battles

I've found, at least for me, the Iron Duke plays a lot like the German BB Konig. I've got a 12 point captain in it which obviously helps somewhat. I've been able to do pretty decent with it.

[HELLS]
Members
2,299 posts
22,004 battles

Play Iron Duke at medium to long range, angled bow first as much as possible, using HE. Once the fires have been lit you can close and brawl using her AP if you are evenly tiered. At T5 you will be uptiered. A Lot! Use your firestarters on the higher tier enemy ships and use the terrain as much as possible. She is faster that Texas or New York, slower than Kongo, and has speed similar to Konig, which she outguns but which has superior armor. Handle all T6 ships with care because you are ougunned by all of them, and most are better armored. The IJN BBs are faster. The USN standards are to be handled from medium range and burned down while manouvering at speed, While they are slower, they are much tougher and can dish it out with AP in a brawl. Surprisingly, she can handle Warspite, Queen Elizabeth, Hood and King George V quite well, especially if you put a Sierra Mike speed flag on her and don't go broadside. Dunkerque has her number bows on because of the speed advantage more than anything else, but is vulnerable on the broadside. Ammo is quick change for a BB at that tier and she is a fabulous cruiser killer with either type of ammunition. Do a secondaries build on her because she has great secondaries, amongst the best at that tier and excellent against DDs and BBs close in and when brawling because of the firestarter potential. I don't play her often because I am grinding with King George V but she is a keeper. Have fun!

• Cool 2

[KRAK]
Members
1,088 posts
12,903 battles
23 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Play Iron Duke at medium to long range, angled bow first as much as possible, using HE. Once the fires have been lit you can close and brawl using her AP if you are evenly tiered. At T5 you will be uptiered. A Lot! Use your firestarters on the higher tier enemy ships and use the terrain as much as possible. She is faster that Texas or New York, slower than Kongo, and has speed similar to Konig, which she outguns but which has superior armor. Handle all T6 ships with care because you are ougunned by all of them, and most are better armored. The IJN BBs are faster. The USN standards are to be handled from medium range and burned down while manouvering at speed, While they are slower, they are much tougher and can dish it out with AP in a brawl. Surprisingly, she can handle Warspite, Queen Elizabeth, Hood and King George V quite well, especially if you put a Sierra Mike speed flag on her and don't go broadside. Dunkerque has her number bows on because of the speed advantage more than anything else, but is vulnerable on the broadside. Ammo is quick change for a BB at that tier and she is a fabulous cruiser killer with either type of ammunition. Do a secondaries build on her because she has great secondaries, amongst the best at that tier and excellent against DDs and BBs close in and when brawling because of the firestarter potential. I don't play her often because I am grinding with King George V but she is a keeper. Have fun!

Secondaries build ? Captain skill ? Which one ? Skill 4 Secondaries ? I was thinking of concealment at level 4, but maybe not.

[HELLS]
Members
2,299 posts
22,004 battles

Upgrade to Secondary Battery Mod 2 in slot 2 if you have one. I got mine from a supercontainer. Slot 1 is Main Armaments Mod 1, and slot 3 is Damage Control System Mod 1. For the captain I pulled a 10-point RN captain from one of my cruisers and left him spec'd with Superintendant, Expert Loader, Expert Marksman, and CE. Eventually will get to BFT and AFT as the other 4-point skills, along with Preventive Maintenance. All my RN captains follow this pattern. This works for me, but depends a lot on your playstyle.

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,088 posts
12,903 battles

OK. 2nd slot I went with mod 1 (dispersion) which has only 5% additional secondary range and 5% reduction in dispersion.

3 battles so far-

Average Score per Battle

Experience 974.67
Damage caused 63,913.67
Warships destroyed 1.33
Aircraft destroyed 0.00
Main battery hit ratio 25%
Edited by Ericson38
  • Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,299 posts
22,004 battles
2 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

OK. 2nd slot I went with mod 1 (dispersion) which has only 5% additional secondary range and 5% reduction in dispersion.

3 battles so far-

Average Score per Battle

Experience 974.67
Damage caused 63,913.67
Warships destroyed 1.33
Aircraft destroyed 0.00
Main battery hit ratio 25%

Nice!

[KRAK]
Members
1,088 posts
12,903 battles

Well, out of T4/5/6 battles (like the first 5 or so) and into mostly T5/6/7 battles so about 20K damage typical last 5 games. You warned me about up tier, and I'm there now. Shiny Horse salivates to get to where I am at.

Edited by Ericson38

Members
2,980 posts
1,448 battles

Oh-ryan, its a good ship, slow af and slow turrets, but the guns atleast shoot straight.  That Barforphan before it....wow......

Im looking forward to Iron Duke, basically not at all because T5=auto penned by all the T7s...

[KRAK]
Members
1,088 posts
12,903 battles

Two games in row deleted by Shiny Horse, about 20K damage for me. About to sell it and back to Orion, a couple games more though. Never feared Nagato this much in a ship before. Will take them on in Cleveland, bow in.

Edited by Ericson38

[P-V-E]
Members
1,282 posts

I find the Iron Duke has an absurd amounts of shots that result in a salvo that will straddle a target at upper ranges resulting in a miss even vs other BB's.

[CWM]
Members
453 posts
14,383 battles

It took me 10-15 games to figure out the Iron Duke then it clicked. 119K damage with 13 fires and 1 sunk, then 98K damage 10 fires and finally 131K damage, 13 fires and 2 sunk. I stay angled use 1/4-1/2 speed most of the time and try to shoot HE at multiple targets starting fires and then re-starting fires when they extinguish them. In the above 3 battles I used nothing but HE.

Members
2,980 posts
1,448 battles
On 9/24/2017 at 10:25 PM, b101uk said:

I find the Iron Duke has an absurd amounts of shots that result in a salvo that will straddle a target at upper ranges resulting in a miss even vs other BB's.

LOL< yeah, these British 13.5s, they are so RNG is sick.  Ive smacked full on broadside cruisers from 10km or less and every shot misses, or I get 5 ricochets, when with any other ship, it would result in DELETEEEEED!!!! 

Meanwhile, firing at BBs, yeah, I get an obscene amount of straddles and misses, even with that accuracy mod.  Its a fun ship at times, with all the frustration of the NY's [edited] guns. 

Overall though, its not a bad ship, doesnt feel like complete [edited]like the NY did....atleast Iron Dook is semi tough.  I've had it in some interesting situations and it pulled through. 

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this