You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fuyukaze

Branching out of the CV line to other ship types.

11 comments in this topic

Members
570 posts
1,461 battles

Hello to those viewing this thread, I'm hoping to seek advice from experienced players on which ship type i should branch out to as i primarily play and function as the sky cancer in a match. 

Take it that i am considerably inept in the other 3 ship types, which would be considered beginner-friendly to start and progress with, following with the next nations and etc?

Additional questions

- How would you scale the playing difficulty of each nation's ship type against each other? 

- When to push as a surface ship and when is it considered overextending? (I'll probably need a dummie's guide for this as while i am able to spot/identify this in my CV view, i am hopeless in it when im on a surface ship)

With the exception of my ARP and premium ships, the highest tiers i've reached for the BB, CL, & DD is 5(Kongou), 4(Phoenix/Kuma), & 4(Clemson/Isokaze) respectively. 

Members
1,233 posts
15,630 battles

Of the ships you mention my personal favorite is the Isokaze. DDs play differently then the other ship classes. Most DD mains are adrenaline junkies. Because they die so easily a DD driver has to be on the edge of their seat the entire time. The compensation for that though is the satisfaction the player gets when they slam several torps into the side of a BB or CA.

BBs stand up to the heat of battle better than the rest so are perhaps easier to learn with. I'd go with the German BBs as they are tough buggers. If it's gun play you need to practice go with the CA higher ROF. Firing twice a minute with the BBs doesn't give you enough practice aiming at and hitting a moving enemy ship; a half dozen or more salvos a minute gives you plenty of practice shooting your guns.

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
3,151 posts
6,815 battles

Cruisers: Since you are intimately familiar with AA mechanics, you can now use that as a strength.

Destroyers: Learning to keep yourself concealed is something you have probably already picked up to an extent. Put that to use along with spotting.

Battleships: You already know how CV attacks work, so you can deal with them and continue on with the battle and not end up whining like a 5-yr old in the all chat.

• Cool 1

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,511 battles

To answer the question of over-extending. If you suddenly starting getting shot at from a large part of the enemy team you probably over-extended. Being good means learning when to push, when to retreat, and knowing the difference. It takes time to get a good feel for it, but it mainly revolves around maximizing kills/ damage (which in most cases win games or lead to it anyways) while also trying to survive as long as possible. Charging in may net you a fair bit of damage but getting yourself killed means you can't influence the rest of the match. Camping in the back means you survive longer but you're unlikely to get a whole lot of damage. Like I said before it takes time to get used to it.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
16,696 posts
10,908 battles
2 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

To answer the question of over-extending. If you suddenly starting getting shot at from a large part of the enemy team you probably over-extended. Being good means learning when to push, when to retreat, and knowing the difference. It takes time to get a good feel for it, but it mainly revolves around maximizing kills/ damage (which in most cases win games or lead to it anyways) while also trying to survive as long as possible. Charging in may net you a fair bit of damage but getting yourself killed means you can't influence the rest of the match. Camping in the back means you survive longer but you're unlikely to get a whole lot of damage. Like I said before it takes time to get used to it.

Oh yeah. In PvE you have to be aggressive if you want to do damage and get XP. The two biggest problems I have in PvP is that most players are as accurate as the bots are at their best and finding that balance of aggressiveness so you don't get focused down in PvP is an issue for me. I know if I swapped how I play, 10:1 PvP instead of 10:1 PvE, I would get better at those items I have problems with, but I want to play happy. I feel bad when I let the team down by making a mistake and giving someone on the other team a first blood. I also don't like the toxic people who get mad if you don't play their way whether it works for you or not. PvE is much less stress and more fun for me. It's slower in the grind, but I'm happier playing.

For Fuyukaze, I would try DD, CL/CA, BB for a little bit in PvE to see which you like the best and then swap back to PvP for which ever line you like.

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
3,407 posts
17,498 battles

Well start off small and work your way up it's pretty forgiving at the lower tiers to learn new ships but I find destroyers as most satisfying ship in the game but I am biased being a destroyer main

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,511 battles
21 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Oh yeah. In PvE you have to be aggressive if you want to do damage and get XP. The two biggest problems I have in PvP is that most players are as accurate as the bots are at their best and finding that balance of aggressiveness so you don't get focused down in PvP is an issue for me. I know if I swapped how I play, 10:1 PvP instead of 10:1 PvE, I would get better at those items I have problems with, but I want to play happy. I feel bad when I let the team down by making a mistake and giving someone on the other team a first blood. I also don't like the toxic people who get mad if you don't play their way whether it works for you or not. PvE is much less stress and more fun for me. It's slower in the grind, but I'm happier playing.

For Fuyukaze, I would try DD, CL/CA, BB for a little bit in PvE to see which you like the best and then swap back to PvP for which ever line you like.

Lots of people try ordering you around, sometimes though they actually have a point. Such as don't show your broadside to that BB, or you need to cap to win/ or you need kills to win capping isn't going to be enough, or get that ram Kurkfurst because dying to the Yammy will for sure lose us the game (Spolier alert he went broadside, died and lost us the match because, as the yammy easily went on to kill our only other surviving ship) So sometimes listening helps, but it best to learn how to win in most situations so you know whos bulls*iting you or not.

[PVE]
Members
16,696 posts
10,908 battles
10 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Lots of people try ordering you around, sometimes though they actually have a point. Such as don't show your broadside to that BB, or you need to cap to win/ or you need kills to win capping isn't going to be enough, or get that ram Kurkfurst because dying to the Yammy will for sure lose us the game (Spolier alert he went broadside, died and lost us the match because, as the yammy easily went on to kill our only other surviving ship) So sometimes listening helps, but it best to learn how to win in most situations so you know whos bulls*iting you or not.

Oh no, I'm not saying that. But the DD who goes off on his own to try and cap all the way across the map and demands that I, in a US standard BB, follow him across the map is not playing to my strengths.

Don't get me wrong, I play to win, but I'm not as serious as others and I still brain fart and make mistakes. If I could just get those islands to stop ramming me some days. :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_child:

I watch videos, hang out here for tips and try to play like I would in PvP in PvE matches. I have good games, but more bad PvP games than good (48-49% WR). I impressed myself with the PvP game below where I was bottom tier in an Arizona. I think I did well, with spotting torps, WASD to throw off DDs and to angle and tank against T8 ships. What do you think as I'm not that PvP person who can look at a game result screen and say how someone played. I had a little less than half health when the game ended in a victory.

Spoiler

WE7lZTH.jpg

zYFwTEF.jpg

NtJnEoX.jpg

Edited by Kizarvexis

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,511 battles
11 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Oh no, I'm not saying that. But the DD who goes off on his own to try and cap all the way across the map and demands that I, in a US standard BB, follow him across the map is not playing to my strengths.

Don't get me wrong, I play to win, but I'm not as serious as others and I still brain fart and make mistakes. If I could just get those islands to stop ramming me some days. :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_child:

I watch videos, hang out here for tips and try to play like I would in PvP in PvE matches. I have good games, but more bad PvP games than good (48-49% WR). I impressed myself with the PvP game below where I was bottom tier in an Arizona. I think I did well, with spotting torps, WASD to throw off DDs and to angle and tank against T8 ships. What do you think as I'm not that PvP person who can look at a game result screen and say how someone played. I had a little less than half health when the game ended in a victory.

Hide contents

WE7lZTH.jpg

zYFwTEF.jpg

NtJnEoX.jpg

As long as you keep trying to improve then your ok in my books. It works wonders for improving your game play if you try to learn some of the game mechanics and lessons. 

Like don't sail broadside to enemy bbs in a Cruiser or Battleship (or at least minimize the number that you do)

If someone sees a DD (mostcruisers too) close by you can be damn sure they probably torped you, so change speed and direction. (preferably slow down and turn in) (Do this anyways every so often if you think dds are near but not spotted.)

Bring Defensive fire on most ships that can get it. CVs might be relatively rare but they will screw your game if they hit you)'

and other lessons for sure that I'm to lazy to type up.

Members
570 posts
1,461 battles

I have read the current replies and i appreciate your inputs into my enquiry along with the necessary upvotes. 

From what i can currently gather, the general consensus leans towards DDs in general, Kriegsmarine BBs, & CAs for practising and improving on main battery accuracy. 

Just reiterating on my previous mention of being inexperienced in surface warfare, which would be easier to pick up?(also in regards to one of my questions on the difficulty scaling of each ship type and nation where relevant.)

Additional notes on my end where applicable :-

My average main battery hit ratio for the respective surface ships are as follows: DD(45%~50%), CL(35%~40%), BB(28%) Although this average value might not be accurate as it encompasses on all the tiers i own.