Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Drakausa

Why New Players suck?

39 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
642 posts
782 battles

I watched a youtube video of several new players on the EU server. They were experienced players from WOT, it seems from their conversation and they divisioned together. As I watched they played T3 ships. From their actions starting at the ships page it was plain they had little or no knowledge about the various ships or how they were either modified or captains scaled. In game they basically sailed along and fired at different ships in range with very little understand of aiming. They did not know that the little guns on their ship image in the lower left would tell them which were able to fire. They played both T1-T3s in the three games I watched them play.

Potatoes? That is the term used by far too many players of WOWS on people who have no real idea of what or how to play the game. Which buttons to push, how to modify their ships with upgrades, camo, flags etc...Their attitude was good but they seemed somewhat at a loss. The point I am trying to make is two fold. From WGs POV there should be SOMETHING to tell these newcomers that they can use the various modifications, upgrades, flags, purchase improved variants and a tech tree. I think being a bit bewildered was my main impression. From players POV I only hope the godlike elitists don't push them out of our game. Being from WOT I sensed they were a little wary of 'Premium' ships and 'gold'.

Not everybody is good or better at these arcade PVP games but their presence helps keep the game alive and reduces queue times. So many others are limited in playing time due to both Real Life and enjoyment of other games. So WG - please for goodness sake give new players SOMETHING they can get hold of before they are dumped into PVP or even PVE. A tutorial that can get them a ship if they finish, perhaps a T2 from any tree in the game if they play through. Not winning or losing but learning how to play various types of ships, what they can do to them and when they finish that, a shiny new ship alongside their T1 starter. Help save the newcomers is a worthy charity if you will.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
8 minutes ago, Drakausa said:

I watched a youtube video of several new players on the EU server. They were experienced players from WOT, it seems from their conversation and they divisioned together. As I watched they played T3 ships. From their actions starting at the ships page it was plain they had little or no knowledge about the various ships or how they were either modified or captains scaled. In game they basically sailed along and fired at different ships in range with very little understand of aiming. They did not know that the little guns on their ship image in the lower left would tell them which were able to fire. They played both T1-T3s in the three games I watched them play.

Potatoes? That is the term used by far too many players of WOWS on people who have no real idea of what or how to play the game. Which buttons to push, how to modify their ships with upgrades, camo, flags etc...Their attitude was good but they seemed somewhat at a loss. The point I am trying to make is two fold. From WGs POV there should be SOMETHING to tell these newcomers that they can use the various modifications, upgrades, flags, purchase improved variants and a tech tree. I think being a bit bewildered was my main impression. From players POV I only hope the godlike elitists don't push them out of our game. Being from WOT I sensed they were a little wary of 'Premium' ships and 'gold'.

Not everybody is good or better at these arcade PVP games but their presence helps keep the game alive and reduces queue times. So many others are limited in playing time due to both Real Life and enjoyment of other games. So WG - please for goodness sake give new players SOMETHING they can get hold of before they are dumped into PVP or even PVE. A tutorial that can get them a ship if they finish, perhaps a T2 from any tree in the game if they play through. Not winning or losing but learning how to play various types of ships, what they can do to them and when they finish that, a shiny new ship alongside their T1 starter. Help save the newcomers is a worthy charity if you will.

I am fairly new to the game and im still a potato as wg keep spoiling the meta to cater for a few and that means every patch im a newbie.

 

Radar at tier 5.

Ruined silly maps from tier 6 (you can be spotted and deleted from spawn to spawn on some maps).

Old premium canned ships seem to be taken from sale but also nerf batted for the ones in game.

Ap bombs.

Lag.

And the worst part of the game the team mates.

 

Tonight the dd meta has been simply horrific in every aspect from tier 5 radar to insta death from invisible bbs at close range and pop up ships.

 

Awful.

Edited by abyssofthetriffid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles

I really think players with under 200 battles should get a special newb tag in battles so we don't yell at them (some of  us) and show them more compassion and understanding, and help them out. I know I would have appreciated it when I jumped into this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,975 battles

Fact is, all the tools are there, yes. The wiki has them, the forum has them, etc. 

 

However, until you putter around in Tier 1 and 2 a bit, they don't really make sense as a whole.  Really, if you have premium time and push down one line, you can easily get to T3, if not T4, without even worrying too much about modules, except for the ones that you have to have to advance down the line.  Of course, if you hit 300 battles, and you're starting T5 because you're rushing as fast as you can, then the +2 MM really will feel like a brick wall.  With near 500 games, and some going back over T2/3/4, playing the +2 MM on my premiums doesn't bother me much.  

 

Drakausa has about 100 or so more battles than me, but abyss, who says he's fairly new has 2700+ battles.  Stauffenberg has over 5000.  I'm not picking on any of you, just using the numbers for comparison.  I didn't look at your stats past # of battles.

 

The difference in game time and knowledge even between the people Drakausa were mentioning and the two of us with 4-500 battles is quite a gap, but a LOT of the people here on the forums, and the people with the expectations of other players instantly knowing what to do, have *thousands* of battles.  

 

I feel like I'm still at the stage that I'm starting to understand the questions at least, but I definitely don't have the answers. Someone with less than 200 battles doesn't even know the questions yet.

 

Edited by mavfin87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,200
Members
5,159 posts

WoT experience to this game explains maybe the port interface at best. The games are not very similar in play. As an example, I played a ton of battle stations midway back in the day and that experience translated very well. I have been playing the total war arena beta having not played any total war before, and I find myself not acclimatizing as well. 

Edited by Pulicat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
[HEROS]
Members
1,735 posts
15,153 battles

*chuckles*

 

WOT players have an advantage... the game Interface" is very much the same are are a lot of the systems...

 

The game how ever is NOTHING like word of Tanks in play.   There are still player that come in from WoT and try to reverse side scrape around islands and never quite figure out that

1.  They're not shooting often nuff to make a difference. because they're to busy being focused on not getting shot at or hit.

2.  Haven't figured out that war ships, even DD's, are not what ya call "nimble" or "fast" compared to a ground vehicle.  

3.  They're sitting duck waiting to be killed if anyone, especially a torp chucking DD, catches them stationary with only one direction to go it!

4. And of course, a ship is significantly faster and more responsive in forward then in reverse.

5. And when they do go for it... holding a steady course and speed broadside to incoming fire. ( A "paddl'n" ala Jingles)

 

after 2 years playing I could prolly add another 195 entries to this list.... and still only scratch the surface because I am still constantly learning new tricks and tips.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,464 battles

I know there is a basic training course for new players, and I believe after completion they give you a ship, a few hundred doubloons, and two weeks premium. So it's there for those that want to get a head start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
787
[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles
1 hour ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Radar at tier 5.

Elaborate, please.  At tier 5, you can face tier 7 ships with radar, but there are no tier 5 radar ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,143 posts
7,114 battles

The main reason many of the players in this game are bad new and old is that they just do not care about winning, stats or learning anything that would help them be better. They do not read the forums, look at youtube, don't care about sailing broadside.... etc. All they want to do is watch their ship go pew pew and could not careless about how the players who do want to succeed at this game feel about them. All we can do is hope for clan wars where the best will progress and the bad will not, but that will bring some of the "entitled" bad players out whining when they find out some are getting things they will not get through clan wars

Edited by Shadow_NA
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
113
[FTWRK]
Banned
560 posts
3,966 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

I really think players with under 200 battles should get a special newb tag in battles so we don't yell at them (some of  us) and show them more compassion and understanding, and help them out. I know I would have appreciated it when I jumped into this.

Better be visible to friendly only or its basically a 'Free Lunch" sign tagged to the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,799
Alpha Tester
7,115 posts
3,732 battles

Lack of experience.

 

Lots of players are bad though.

 

Part of the problem is people don't want to play objectives. To them it isn't an integral part of the game, and they don't see any loss to their progress in not following them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
926 posts
14 minutes ago, Shadow_NA said:

The main reason many of the players in this game are bad new and old is that they just do not care about winning, stats or learning anything that would help them be better. They do not read the forums, look at youtube, don't care about sailing broadside.... etc. All they want to do is watch their ship go pew pew and could not careless about how the players who do want to succeed at this game feel about them. All we can do is hope for clan wars where the best will progress and the bad will not, but that will bring some of the "entitled" bad players out whining when they find out some are getting things they will not get through clan wars

This is spot on and sadly i do not think there is any changing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,212
[USCC2]
Members
4,937 posts

If you are talking up to about Tier V, then they don't suck, they're still learning.

I remember facing Tier V in my Nicholas with an 8 point Captain - against a few Kamikaze's, 19 point Captains, RPF and whatever else. Add the other little bonuses for extra credit or XP and of course the experience of those players - it becomes a big step for new players to face.

Enter Clans extra credits and Captains points and so on. Throw in those that seal club and go to lower tiers for other reasons and new players don't really have a steady foundation to build off of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
204
[TG-38]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,307 posts
7,995 battles
3 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

Lack of experience.

 

Lots of players are bad though.

 

Part of the problem is people don't want to play objectives. To them it isn't an integral part of the game, and they don't see any loss to their progress in not following them.

 

Some of the worst players in the game are at Tiers IX and X.  New players have an excuse, but these guys?

 

Also, you should have some leveling experience before you are allowed to play PVP with a premium (Coop, fine).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
204
[TG-38]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,307 posts
7,995 battles
4 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

...

1.  They're not shooting often nuff to make a difference. because they're to busy being focused on not getting shot at or hit.

...

 

They haven't figured out that DPS is everything in this game. If your guns aren't firing every time they are loaded you are fail IMHO. Island side scrapers are the worst.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
204
[TG-38]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,307 posts
7,995 battles
4 hours ago, Pulicat said:

The games are not very similar in play.

 

Very true, but the WoT newbs don't know that, hence, they bring over bad habits which ruin the game for people that get stuck with them on their team.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13
[-REK-]
Members
130 posts
10,771 battles
43 minutes ago, TheGirlFromIpanema said:

 

If your guns aren't firing every time they are loaded you are fail IMHO. Island side scrapers are the worst.

 

I disagree - sometimes its better to avoid being detected than to fire just because your guns are loaded.  Or if you don't have a good shot to not take it if you have a long reload time.  Though I tend to play DD's and CL's alot and they have low detection, so better sometimes for the enemy to not know where I'm at...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[NBNG]
Members
402 posts
7,738 battles

Look to tell you the truth. I am 2 year away from 60 years old. I know some things about some ships from playing them. I try and take out radar ships first and give enemy DDs something to dodge while our DDs are contesting a cap. But, I will never be a really good player because all the stuff involved with these different ships is just too much. Younger generation pick it up better. But what I do is what the comms and the map for when a ship is pointed out, a player needs help. I am not 100% on the ball all the time but I do what I can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,507
[YORHA]
Members
4,363 posts
7,926 battles
28 minutes ago, Buzzardsluck said:

Look to tell you the truth. I am 2 year away from 60 years old. I know some things about some ships from playing them. I try and take out radar ships first and give enemy DDs something to dodge while our DDs are contesting a cap. But, I will never be a really good player because all the stuff involved with these different ships is just too much. Younger generation pick it up better. But what I do is what the comms and the map for when a ship is pointed out, a player needs help. I am not 100% on the ball all the time but I do what I can. 

 

I am actually a little older than you and I hear what you are saying.  The good news is keep playing and you will get better.  If you are interested in getting better there are lots of videos out there (UrPeacekeeper at Whiskey's Gaming Lounge is a standout) that will help you but just playing the game and paying attention to what is going on around you will help you improve.  The hardest thing for me to learn was that if a particular tactic isn't working.. stop doing it and try something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,331
[PHASE]
Members
4,990 posts
16,795 battles

Many new players are lured to this game by pop up ads on Facebook and other websites under the guise of "play for free" and treat the game similarly to something like Boom Beach or other play for free games. It's how I started, in fact many games for my first couple of months I just rushed out tried to farm damage and died quickly only to play another ship. Several times I had two ships still in action while playing a third just trying to farm crappy tier 3 ships....

I didn't know there was a forum, or YouTube videos I simply treated he game like some throw away phone game app. It wasn't till the Santa crates came out till I realized the value of xp camo's, captain skils and so on. So to summarize many are brought to this game as play for free, and that's how many treat the game until they quit or realize how much more there is to it.

Edited by Sweetsie
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,805
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,365 battles
5 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

Lack of experience.

 

Lots of players are bad though.

 

Part of the problem is people don't want to play objectives. To them it isn't an integral part of the game, and they don't see any loss to their progress in not following them.

No the problem is there's no tutorial teaching mechanics like HE and fire, angling vs AP, over match, etc

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[CASUL]
Members
255 posts
3,575 battles

WoT is essentially a first person shooter. Twitching and cheap tricks can take you a long way in a game like that, but if you've played any FPS game before you can pick it up pretty quickly. But that playstyle does not translate well to WoWs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,372
[CAST]
Members
4,757 posts
12 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

No the problem is there's no tutorial teaching mechanics like HE and fire, angling vs AP, over match, etc

 

This. Depending on community contributors to show players how to properly aim, or do anything else really, is no bueno. The game itself should cover fundamentals.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,019 posts
8,415 battles
17 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

No the problem is there's no tutorial teaching mechanics like HE and fire, angling vs AP, over match, etc

 

 Untill I saw some youtube videos I had no idea about this too :fish_glass:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,614 posts
3,583 battles
7 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

who says he's fairly new has 2700+ battles.

 

I have hard time with the way that this community views "Experience" .

 

2700 battles could have taken up to nine hundred hours! (2700*20) / 60. That is not inexperienced.... In most other games, even shooters with extremely steep learning curves, that is enough to master the game. The next closest game I have is BF4, which I player for three years, racking up 600 hours.

 

Now, it is in all likely hood, probably half of that, 450-500 hours or so, but that is quite a bit of time in a game. Plenty more than enough to give you an extremely in-depth, and advanced understanding of a good majority of the game and its mechanics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×