Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LooN918

Any new maps in the works?

22 comments in this topic

[GOFU]
Members
28 posts
6,140 battles

I've noticed a lot of maps play over and over in tier 8 and up, and word of more variety of maps in the works? 

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

i heard somewhere that they are. but they tend to put them on the back burner while they work on other things. with holiday season coming up, i wouldn't bet on any new maps until after the new year. i could be wrong though.

[SALVO]
Members
22,411 posts
22,855 battles

They could solve this pretty easily by using some of the new maps they made for Ranked and Operations.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Whenever they publish a new map, they post it in the patch announcements.

It will also usually be played first on the public test server. That's the only way to get advanced info on new things. Those super testers won't tell you anything. They just chant NDA, NDA, like some kind of mantra. How annoying is that?

I try to add new maps to the Current Maps thread within a day or so of the patch being released.

[SALVO]
Members
22,411 posts
22,855 battles
21 minutes ago, awildpervert said:

i want some more tears of the desert type of maps

Dang, I hope you're being sarcastic.  That's got to be one of the worst maps in the game, particularly the epicenter version.

[-ZF-]
Members
661 posts
8,630 battles
51 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Dang, I hope you're being sarcastic.  That's got to be one of the worst maps in the game, particularly the epicenter version.

yep i was. that map is so open it isnt funny.

[SALVO]
Members
22,411 posts
22,855 battles
2 hours ago, awildpervert said:

yep i was. that map is so open it isnt funny.

I don't mind open maps in the least.  IMO Ocean is the best map in the game, by far.

The problem with Tears of the Desert is the way the ring of islands are constructed around the "B" cap or Epicenter area.  It turns the game into a wretched camp-a-thon.

EDIT: The problem with maps is NOT that they're too open.  The problem is that they're not open enough!!!  This is NAVAL warfare, not land warfare!!!  Navies do NOT fight anywhere near land.  I think that you'd be hard pressed to find any legitimate naval battle (not counting surprise attacks like Pearl Harbor or Taranto) that took place close enough to land that the battle field wouldn't look like Ocean.  Even the Battle of Surigao Strait, the actual Surigao Strait was wide enough that you could have placed the Ocean map in the strait and not had any land on said map.

Now obviously, this game wouldn't go with a single map, i.e. Ocean.  But that doesn't mean that it's not possible to come up with more reasonable maps that at least had a better feel for real naval combat areas than most of the ridiculous maps currently in the game.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

[-ZF-]
Members
661 posts
8,630 battles
22 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I don't mind open maps in the least.  IMO Ocean is the best map in the game, by far.

The problem with Tears of the Desert is the way the ring of islands are constructed around the "B" cap or Epicenter area.  It turns the game into a wretched camp-a-thon.

EDIT: The problem with maps is NOT that they're too open.  The problem is that they're not open enough!!!  This is NAVAL warfare, not land warfare!!!  Navies do NOT fight anywhere near land.  I think that you'd be hard pressed to find any legitimate naval battle (not counting surprise attacks like Pearl Harbor or Taranto) that took place close enough to land that the battle field wouldn't look like Ocean.  Even the Battle of Surigao Strait, the actual Surigao Strait was wide enough that you could have placed the Ocean map in the strait and not had any land on said map.

Now obviously, this game wouldn't go with a single map, i.e. Ocean.  But that doesn't mean that it's not possible to come up with more reasonable maps that at least had a better feel for real naval combat areas than most of the ridiculous maps currently in the game.

ocean is the one with the chain of islands in huge clusters around C right?

I liked that one, tbh I think its because of the way the game plays and people that we cant experience open ocean warfare.  would be nice for a map of the surigao strait

[SALVO]
Members
22,411 posts
22,855 battles
1 hour ago, awildpervert said:

ocean is the one with the chain of islands in huge clusters around C right?

I liked that one, tbh I think its because of the way the game plays and people that we cant experience open ocean warfare.  would be nice for a map of the surigao strait

:Smile_facepalm:

Ocean is a map rarely seen any more that was 100% ocean with not a single island.

The map you're probably thinking of is Hotspot.

[GOFU]
Members
28 posts
6,140 battles
On 9/24/2017 at 5:44 PM, Crucis said:

Your right but it would have been hell to grind out to my Moskva without islands russian line are soft and have little to non concealment. I like to play aggressive and Islands allow me to get into the battle rather than sniping all the time, and I have a target on my ship because of radar so I'm in favor of islands.

[SALVO]
Members
22,411 posts
22,855 battles
5 hours ago, LooN918 said:

Your right but it would have been hell to grind out to my Moskva without islands russian line are soft and have little to non concealment. I like to play aggressive and Islands allow me to get into the battle rather than sniping all the time, and I have a target on my ship because of radar so I'm in favor of islands.

LooN, to me, it's not really a question of favoring islands or not.  Clearly, it's not realistic to expect that the game would have only a single map, i.e. Ocean, without a single island.  But at the same time, I don't think that enjoyable game play requires these maps that are utterly choked with tall islands, that just happen to be spread in a narrow band across the area between where the two teams spawn.  To me, that's just ridiculous on a number of levels.

There are good maps in the game that are not like that.  New Dawn is perhaps the best one that comes to mind.  The islands on that map are not all big and tall.  And they're not all spread across a narrow band between the two teams' spawns.  There are islands between the teams, of course, but there are also islands in the two teams' "backfields".  I really hate those maps where the islands are only in that narrow band between the two teams and there are no islands (or perhaps a token island) in their backfields. 

Another good map that I like is Big Race.  Now, obviously it's a low tier map, and Big Race is almost beyond its limit in allowing tier 5's.  But it's a good map because the islands are distributed in an interesting way.  And the spawns are unique.  There's no other map like it when it comes to spawns.  Team A is spawned loosely along the north edge of the map, while team B is spawned loosely along the east edge of the map, rather than the south edge, like other maps would be.  All other maps have the spawns either N&S, or E&W, or sometimes NW & SE. Big Race is the only map where the spawns are N and E.

I also liked the old versions of Islands of Ice, before they changed it from having a diagonal perspective to the current east/west perspective.  I really don't like the current version of Islands of Ice because IMO it's just like pretty much every other high tier map in the game, just with a winter look to it.  Meh.

[GOFU]
Members
28 posts
6,140 battles
On 9/29/2017 at 6:07 PM, Crucis said:

LooN, to me, it's not really a question of favoring islands or not.  Clearly, it's not realistic to expect that the game would have only a single map, i.e. Ocean, without a single island.  But at the same time, I don't think that enjoyable game play requires these maps that are utterly choked with tall islands, that just happen to be spread in a narrow band across the area between where the two teams spawn.  To me, that's just ridiculous on a number of levels.

There are good maps in the game that are not like that.  New Dawn is perhaps the best one that comes to mind.  The islands on that map are not all big and tall.  And they're not all spread across a narrow band between the two teams' spawns.  There are islands between the teams, of course, but there are also islands in the two teams' "backfields".  I really hate those maps where the islands are only in that narrow band between the two teams and there are no islands (or perhaps a token island) in their backfields. 

Another good map that I like is Big Race.  Now, obviously it's a low tier map, and Big Race is almost beyond its limit in allowing tier 5's.  But it's a good map because the islands are distributed in an interesting way.  And the spawns are unique.  There's no other map like it when it comes to spawns.  Team A is spawned loosely along the north edge of the map, while team B is spawned loosely along the east edge of the map, rather than the south edge, like other maps would be.  All other maps have the spawns either N&S, or E&W, or sometimes NW & SE. Big Race is the only map where the spawns are N and E.

I also liked the old versions of Islands of Ice, before they changed it from having a diagonal perspective to the current east/west perspective.  I really don't like the current version of Islands of Ice because IMO it's just like pretty much every other high tier map in the game, just with a winter look to it.  Meh.

I see what your saying how the maps are cut in half with islands with teams on either side.  I'm fond of Okinawa because it has low islands and sandbar that I run into quit a bit. But it really depends on what kind of boat I'm driving.  I play mainly CL, CA so Islands help but if I'm in my BB I prefer open maps.  

[SALVO]
Members
22,411 posts
22,855 battles
5 minutes ago, LooN918 said:

I see what your saying how the maps are cut in half with islands with teams on either side.  I'm fond of Okinawa because it has low islands and sandbar that I run into quit a bit. But it really depends on what kind of boat I'm driving.  I play mainly CL, CA so Islands help but if I'm in my BB I prefer open maps.  

For me, I have a different perspective.  I prefer maps that feel more realistic, rather than preferring maps to fit whatever ship I happen to be playing at any given moment.  I also prefer maps that feel less artificial, maps like Big Race and New Dawn.  Like I said above, they have islands, but aren't so darned fake feeling.  Don't have a strip of islands between the two teams and a lot of open ocean in each team's "backfield".

Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,947 battles
On 9/24/2017 at 7:48 AM, Quaffer said:

Those super testers won't tell you anything. They just chant NDA, NDA, like some kind of mantra. How annoying is that?

Well, considering the super testers can be outright fired from the program for breaching NDA, they have a right to do so. I don't get why you believe you have the right to be told but uh, you are wrong, you are foolish and you need to shut up. 

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts
39 minutes ago, Raptor_alcor said:

Well, considering the super testers can be outright fired from the program for breaching NDA, they have a right to do so. I don't get why you believe you have the right to be told but uh, you are wrong, you are foolish and you need to shut up. 

Raptor,

On behalf of the Supertesters, please allow me to say thank you. Your show of support is both refreshing and appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Quaffer

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:48 AM, Quaffer said:

I try to add new maps to the Current Maps thread within a day or so of the patch being released.

I, for one, Quaffer, hope there are several new maps in the pipeline.

I believe you know my sentiments about all maps;

1) Add as many as possible 

2) Allow as many tiers as possible to play on each one (* do not restrict Ocean)

3) Reject, as much as possible, the continual requests ('whining') for alterations to any map

& lastly,

4) Never remove any map (* Ocean is perilously close).

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,601 posts
21,865 battles

Nicely said Aethervox. great suggestions. They really need a dedicated map team, maybe get a new map into the game at least twice a year. They could also just resize/rescale existing maps to make them work across more tiers like they do with Ranked battles.

[SALVO]
Members
22,411 posts
22,855 battles
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:10 PM, aethervox said:

I, for one, Quaffer, hope there are several new maps in the pipeline.

I believe you know my sentiments about all maps;

1) Add as many as possible 

2) Allow as many tiers as possible to play on each one (* do not restrict Ocean)

3) Reject, as much as possible, the continual requests ('whining') for alterations to any map

& lastly,

4) Never remove any map (* Ocean is perilously close).

I disagree, sort of, on point 3.  There are maps that DESPERATELY need alternations.  OTOH, there's at least one map that was fine in its original state, Islands of Ice, and was wrecked by tweaking it. I think that Strait is begging for a tweaking of the spawn and cap locations, for example.  (The map is fine, the spawn and cap locations, not so much.)

As for removing maps, while I tend to prefer not removing maps, particularly given how  few of them are in WoWS, if WG could come up with some actually GOOD high tier maps, I'd be all for removing the boring as all heck high tier clone maps, like Loop, Sea of Fortune, and Shatter.  

I'd like to see the Ranked Battles map Riposte used in the rotation.  Id' like to see the maps from the more traditional scenarios (i.e. not the Halloween maps) used in some way, though the 2 harbor maps are absolutely BEGGING for some sort of "encounter" or "port defense/assault" mode(s).  

[SALVO]
Members
22,411 posts
22,855 battles
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:55 AM, Taylor3006 said:

Nicely said Aethervox. great suggestions. They really need a dedicated map team, maybe get a new map into the game at least twice a year. They could also just resize/rescale existing maps to make them work across more tiers like they do with Ranked battles.

Very true, Taylor.

BTW, I suspect that they actually do have a dedicated map team.  But they were probably working on the maps for the operations (Dunkirk, the 2 port maps, the carrier rescue map, and the two Halloween maps) and  the Riposte ranked battles map.

As for the resize/rescale, even that's nor really necessary.  Think of the Shatter map.  I think that could be a perfectly playable mid tier map if they just moved the spawns somewhat closer together.  Heck, Shards is used for  battles all the way up to tier 8 or even 9, IIRC.  And it is really any larger than Shatter, if you ignore the open, wasted space in the extreme N and S of Shatter?

For that matter, there's a different version of the haven map in the client that looks interesting due to its different layout of caps.  

Honestly, it really seems to me like WG has next to no ability to think outside the box when it comes to map  design.  Even the outstandingly beautiful HD maps that they're working on for WoT aren't really all that outside the box.  They're just super "beautified", which is nice and all.  But no outside the box, original thinking when it comes to  maps in WoT or WoWS.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

Another thing WoWS could do, again, is to offer a player map design contest like they did in CBT(?). This would help get more new maps produced (eventually).

Sign in to follow this