Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

How to play DD?

48 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
2,775 posts

I tried but just can't play DD, before I can get in range of my torpedo, I got detected and focus fired, quickly sank, I don't know how other DDs can get in range and fire torpedo without getting detected when I play BB :(

[AFW-]
Members
972 posts
7,537 battles

Play Japanese DD. Other DDs have higher detection range than their torpedo range.

Umikaze has 8 km torpedo (with mod) and 6 km detection. Get camo too.

[DRACS]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
730 posts
15,123 battles

What dd are you driving?  

[WOLF1]
Members
2,775 posts
2 minutes ago, zuga_01 said:

Play Japanese DD. Other DDs have higher detection range than their torpedo range.

Umikaze has 8 km torpedo (with mod) and 6 km detection. Get camo too.

thanks, it's good to know, will try

I got a free farragut, I can't play it :(

[HINON]
Members
11,637 posts

Try some of the lower tier dd's first and work your way up to the farragut. Jumping right into T6 dd's will be rough if you didnt get the low tier training in first.

[AFW-]
Members
972 posts
7,537 battles
8 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

How did you get a farragut for free?

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
7,543 battles

All DD's are different.  The Farragut is not a good torpedo boat.  It is an excellent gunboat.  The Farragut excels at hunting down other DD's.  At tier 6, the DD I do not want to encounter when capping in a DD is the Farragut.  The American DD's don't get good at torpedos until later in the line.  IIRC, the Benson is the first American DD with torps beyond their concealment range.  Before the Benson, American torps are opportunistic and used for island ambushes.

The Japanese have the best torpedo boats early on.  

Edited by Capt_Binkley

[SYN]
Members
7,633 posts
12,960 battles
11 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

There is your problem right there.

A) You are starting at t6 instead t2 where you should have started. 

B) Farragut is a gunboat not a torpedo boat.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,775 posts
13 minutes ago, Capt_Binkley said:

All DD's are different.  The Farragut is not a good torpedo boat.  It is an excellent gunboat.  The Farragut excels at hunting down other DD's.  At tier 6, the DD I do not want to encounter when capping in a DD is the Farragut.  The American DD's don't get good at torpedos until later in the line.  IIRC, the Benson is the first American DD with torps beyond their concealment range.  Before the Benson, American torps are opportunistic and used for island ambushes.

The Japanese have the best torpedo boats early on.  

I will try japanese see how it goes

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,203 battles

A few quick pointers :

• Look at your ship in port and click on the Tordepo tab and the Concealment tab. The torpedo will show the range of the torpedos and concealment will show your surface detection. Make sure the torpedos CAN be stealth launched

• If you have a 10 point Captain, make sure your 4th skill is concealment (ship with down arrow)

• Use camo on your DD it helps lower the detectability

• When in game, hold the ctrl key and click on torpedoes. This will turn on and show on your mini-map as a light blue line. You want that to be outside of your dotted (detection) line. Some DDs have a very small window of torpedo and detection

• When making a torp run, keep looking at the mini-map and keep red ships out of your detection (dotted circle) area and within your torpedo circle

As others have said, IJN are the best torp boats at lower tears. Russian DDs tend to have very short range torps ... less range than their detection. German DDs have a smaller window of being able to torp from stealth. US DDs are some of the best gun boats and don't really get good stealth torps until higher tiers

You can always torp from smoke but you'll need someone to be spotting the red ships for you.

Practice getting close to ships in game by keeping them just on the verge of your detection circle. This helped me a lot. Once you get that down it will help you to be able to deliver stealthy torp drops. Higher tiers (include 5/6) can be matched against ships with hydro/radar both of which can spot you in smoke, behind islands and even though the ship is outside of your detectability "range".

Good luck! DDs are a lot of fun but can be very frustrating as they're very unforgiving!

[WOLF1]
Members
2,775 posts
11 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

A few quick pointers :

• Look at your ship in port and click on the Tordepo tab and the Concealment tab. The torpedo will show the range of the torpedos and concealment will show your surface detection. Make sure the torpedos CAN be stealth launched

• If you have a 10 point Captain, make sure your 4th skill is concealment (ship with down arrow)

• Use camo on your DD it helps lower the detectability

• When in game, hold the ctrl key and click on torpedoes. This will turn on and show on your mini-map as a light blue line. You want that to be outside of your dotted (detection) line. Some DDs have a very small window of torpedo and detection

• When making a torp run, keep looking at the mini-map and keep red ships out of your detection (dotted circle) area and within your torpedo circle

As others have said, IJN are the best torp boats at lower tears. Russian DDs tend to have very short range torps ... less range than their detection. German DDs have a smaller window of being able to torp from stealth. US DDs are some of the best gun boats and don't really get good stealth torps until higher tiers

You can always torp from smoke but you'll need someone to be spotting the red ships for you.

Practice getting close to ships in game by keeping them just on the verge of your detection circle. This helped me a lot. Once you get that down it will help you to be able to deliver stealthy torp drops. Higher tiers (include 5/6) can be matched against ships with hydro/radar both of which can spot you in smoke, behind islands and even though the ship is outside of your detectability "range".

Good luck! DDs are a lot of fun but can be very frustrating as they're very unforgiving!

thanks for the write up, just tried japan t2, still no torpedo hits but killed a dd with gun, I am good with guns (BB, CA)

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
229 posts
5,250 battles

Gotta have at least a 10 point captain to get CE skill or any nation's line of destroyers is gonna be tough. Watch some You Tube videos of specific destroyers from players and pick up points to excel in and that should help.  Each nation has either better guns or better torps.  Use that information to your advantage.

[DAS]
Members
680 posts
5,852 battles
35 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

thanks for the write up, just tried japan t2, still no torpedo hits but killed a dd with gun, I am good with guns (BB, CA)

Generally speaking, you don't want to get into a gun fight with other nations, when you are playing Japanese DDs.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,880 posts
17,491 battles
1 hour ago, Happy668 said:

I got a free farragut,

Good luck; Farragut is a difficult DD to learn on LOL!!

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,621 posts
6,965 battles
1 hour ago, zuga_01 said:

How did you get a farragut for free?

He probably got it from the Santa convoy missions last December.  Some of the rewards included the Farragut, Budyoney, Leander, Bayern, Fuso and ultimately the Graf Spee.  

[AFW-]
Members
972 posts
7,537 battles
Just now, yashma said:

He probably got it from the Santa convoy missions last December.  Some of the rewards included the Farragut, Budyoney, Leander, Bayern, Fuso and ultimately the Graf Spee.  

Didn't know. Joined in April.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,861 posts

I have some experience with DDs; here are a few pointers.

- In port look at your torpedoes. On the  Farragut, the torp range is 6.4 kilometers. On the right side of the screen click on the white arrow next to "Torpedoes" and it will give you some good information. Then scroll down, and do the same for concealment. It will say 7.3 kilometers for the   Farragut. When concealment is greater than the range, you cannot stealth torpedo,  you will always be spotted when launching in the open.I have a 10 point captain on mine with concealment, and my detection only goes down to 6.6 km, still not enough to torpedo and stay hidden

- In the game, make your minimap as big as you can and still play. There will be two white lines, one is the range of your guns, this is the big one. The smaller circle is the range of your torpedoes. There is a third dotted green circle, this is your detection range. When the torpedo circle is bigger than the detection circle, you can stealth torp. When it is smaller, you cannot.

- In general, Russian and American destroyers are not good at stealth torping. German and Japanese are. Germans have shorter reloads and do less damage fish. Japanese reloads are longer but hit like a truck. Japanese have the best stealth in the game, Germans have better guns for defense.

- Isokaze, Tier 4 Japanese DD, or Wakatake, Tier 3 Japanese DD, are both excellent boats to learn how to torpedo. The German T2, T3, and T4 can as well, but their torps are very slow, almost water mines. 

So how do you land a torpedo? Best results when you surprise him or her. If they have a clue they might be coming, they will be harder to hit. So when a ship is engaged with another ship, that's a good time. When a ship is coming around an island, that is a good time. 

Torpedoes are also used to help get a win. If an enemy is in a bow on engagement with an ally, fire at him, he will have to turn and show his broadside. Or eat a torpedo. Either outcome is good for your team. You can hold an entire flank by launching torpedoes and never hitting, forcing the enemy to turn away from them. 

One last piece of advice - always check your mini map before you launch, and if there are any ally ships in range in the plane between yourself and the enemy, don't launch. Sooner rather than later you will teamkill and ally unintentionally.

One more final piece of advice, there are several cheap low tier DD premiums in the shop - they are dreadful. The in game ships are much better than the Smith or Tachibana. The ship I learned the art or torpedoing on is the Campbeltown. T3 British premium. It has just two guns, and slow loading torpedoes, and is so restrictive it forces you to slow down and plan your attacks. Which is what it takes to be successful in DD with torpedoes. It's a hunt

• Cool 1

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles

OK here's the deal at this point with DDs. Get a Shima. Lob 15 torps at a time where it seems appropriate. Get back to your main BBs. Wait for DDs to come back into their own. Remember they are midgets that can down giants in seconds. Watch for secondaries to finally be buffed across the board. My 2 cents.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,861 posts

Should mention captains skills

T1 - Priority Target or Preventive Maintenance. The former tells you how many guns are aimed at you, the latter prevents many module failures from critical hits. Take one of these two. I always take PT myself

T2 - Last Stand, and only last stand, This will give you engine power and steering if either one is knocked out. A DD with no engine or rudder is a dead DD. No choice on this one

T3 - Choices here. IMO, best is Survivability Expert, 350 more  HP per level of ship. Those few more HP make such a big difference. Depending on whether my DD is gun focused or torp focused, I can take Demolition Expert or Torpedo Armament Expert instead. 

T4 - Concealment Expert is perhaps the best skill in the game

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,975 battles

From a more beginner's standpoint (only 93 DD Random battles), one of the tricks is to play to the ship's strengths, and stay away from the weaknesses as much as possible. 

So, T3 Japanese DD, longer torpedo range than the concealment, you sneak a lot, and you don't usually use your guns unless you're already detected.  Try to lay 2 spreads for targets, depending on which way you think they'll turn when they first see your torpedoes.

T3 Soviet DD, Derzki, you have 5.9km concealment, but only 4 km torpedoes.  But, you're really fast and your guns are decent, and quick reloading.  I spent the last game taking potshots at stuff as I passed between islands, etc.  I saw a charging cruiser, and I laid a trap for him and got a torp in him.  He had 137 hp after that he said after the match.  We lost, but, I did try to win, and was in the top half of the standings.

Also, do be careful using your guns.  Outside smoke, after you fire your guns, you can be spotted for 20 seconds at the full range of your guns.  They call it gun bloom.  Torpedo firing doesn't spotlight you like that.

Anyway, practice makes perfect.  Don't let it get you down.  Just pick up another battle, and learn what works...and what doesn't work.  Also, don't even think about stats much till you've got at least 1000 battles.  Look for improvement, of course, but don't worry about win rate.  

Do get good at shooting, in the DDs that you're going to use the guns.  Practice with the torpedoes.  Do your best to not torpedo your team, but at some point you will probably do so.  Learn from it, take your pink with a smile, call it for breast cancer research, and continue on.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

These vids are a year old, so things aren't going to be the same as things are today. They're still viable in a lot of different areas for DD play.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 4

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
8,149 battles

DD captains have to have patience. Trusting in their camo but not over confident in it. Recommending you MajorRenagade's mod that shows all ship's detection range and torpedo range (it is one of the selections in Aslain's WoWS mods). DD has to use their camo rating to the fullest having information on opponent's camo helps greatly (avoid being detected). Knowing an opponent's torpedo range also allows you to safely sit in smoke and spam HE. Another useful info to have is a table of Radar and Hydro ranges. I think I have the table in one of my posts in the signature (Found them: Hydro Ranges and Radar Ranges).

Quoting something that was posted before, might help you a bit (just replace "mutsuki" with IJN DD, the points were written at the end of beta, but it should still serve nicely as a general guideline - pardon the english, I only write guides when extremely drunk). Contrasting to the videos above, the following is more for "torpedo boats", iChase's guides is more general and more suitable for gun boats.:

To share my experience, here's a summary of "how to mutsuki" "How to IJN DD":

1. Avoid gunboats like a plague, except when they can be engaged at close range.

Mutsuki with her inadequate guns simply cannot win a gun duel with any other destroyers or even doing enough damage to finish off a near death cruiser. Avoid engage other destroyers if able unless they can be surprised at extremely closed range so Mutsuki's torpedo can instantly finish them off. Even dueling another Mutsuki is unwise because it'll be a HP trade which would leave your Mutsuki crippled even if she wins.

2. Maximizing Camo Value:

Self explanatory, in order to maximize effective torpedo runs, the run time of the torpedoes in water must be reduced to as little as possible. Get in as close as possible to your target then launch the torpedoes. This also means keeping a very comprehensive awareness of the match. Knowing where the enemy DDs are, avoiding possible planes that can spot you, as well as exploit any holes left  open in the enemy's fleet. Avoiding planes including avoiding route of planes launching and retrieving from a CV.

3. Effective Torpedo Salvos:

DO NOT chase a ship, or launch torpedoes from the stern of an enemy, unless you are point blank. It increases the actual distance you and your torpedoes have to travel and drastically increase time to impact giving your prey more time to evade.

The white line only helps you gauging enemy course changes and accelerations. Try to not rely on them to find the lead for your torpedoes. Imagine you are your target and how the target would react in its position at that moment in the match. Will it turn to engage? Slow down to fire more salvos? Or U turn to change position? The lead depends on Mutsuki captain's experience.

Whenever possible, get in dead close to your target and unleash your entire payload. The placement of the torpedo tubes are VERY good on Mutsuki, meaning both sets can be launched together converging at a point few hundred meters off your ship. Unlike Minekaze, one set of Minekaze's tubes at certain angles cannot be launched with the other 2, so you have to turn Minekaze more for full salvo.

Don't bother with loose spread, tight spread only. If you want to increase chance to hit at long range, offset the two tubes slightly with each other in the direction of target's travel. So that 6 torpedoes together will cover a larger area. A loose spread leave too big of a gap and gives the enemy easy holes to evade. Think of it as a casting a net with small holes not large ones.

4. The Approach:

NEVER CHASE. Approach head on so the enemy is approaching you as you approach them, cutting time of interception drastically. Need to identify types of shells a BB has loaded, more times than not giving a BB loaded with AP your broadside can give you the slight edge to survive and use the BB's reloading time to further close the distance for a decisive torpedo strike.

Combine all points above to make an effective approach.

5. Point Elimination:

Identify a target that can be approached, usually one that's somewhat isolated or going around an obstacle. Target should not be in CV's plane launching and retrieving lines. If target has spotter planes in air, try to time it so you can approach when the spotter plane moves away, giving you more time until spotted.

Find a valuable target, usually a BB, if possible track down enemy CV, and kill it, even if it means it's a suicide run. Combining all the points above, identify a target of value and take it down in 1 full salvo. If you are not confident in taking the target down with 1 torpedo salvo then do not approach, sling torpedoes as close as you can without being spotted and wait for a better opportunity. Remember, greed kills, throw away your life for a worthy trade, never settle for less.

I'm currently playing Benson (T8 USN DD), you can come have a peek to get some ideas of the flow of the matches in a DD.

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this