Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jdog_g3

Question about match maker

6 comments in this topic

[G3-MF]
Members
4 posts
3,074 battles

I'm what I would consider quite new to the game, and no even after reading about all the different mechanics of the game , some just plain don't make a lot of sense.   However, over the last few days playing in Random, my win rate is horrible.   2-6 one night, 0-7 the next night, last night was 2-10. 

Before that it seemed like 30-40% was about the norm.   Most battles in T5-T7.

Does the match maker intentionally run you thru slumps like this?   I see a lot of battles I am in where the other side has 2-4 more ranked folks, which I would assume ( maybe wrongly) gives them the upper hand.

I'd say the majority of the time I personally do ok so far as team contribution ( considering I pretty much play floating citadels ).

Just a question, don't take it as a complaint....   I've never had a crappy slump like this before.

Thanks.

• Cool 1

[5IN]
Supertester
2,047 posts
9,665 battles

It happens to all of us at some point, or at least most.  The best thing to do is take a break.  Play Co-Op or operations.  

In my case, the month of September is my worst in a long time.  Hard to get wins despite good performance.  Sometimes it just happens and there isn't much you can do.

Good luck and persevere.... it'll get better. :Smile_honoring:

B

Edited by bassmasta76

[WOLF5]
Members
2,733 posts
3,130 battles

No, contrary to what some believe, MM does not take performance into account. Only for the first 100 games you play or so.

So what you're having is normal. Yesterday for example, I played a few games. 1 or 2, I screwed up somewhere, so really can't blame the team, though they weren't helping. However, definitely a couple where I was doing pretty well, look around, and realized the reds have steamrolled the other side of the map, and are mopping up survivors (me). Sometimes craphappens. Other times, I can totally potato, and the team will still steamroll the enemy. Streaks happen, I usually take a break and come back the next day.

Also, you mentioned that you're new, and don't quite understand mechanics. So maybe not surprising that you're having some bad streaks. Don't worry, things will get better as you play more.

• Cool 1

Members
2,614 posts
3,583 battles

The only two things the match maker looks for are ship type and tier.

It is trying to slam together matches as fast as possible. 

Even though this is truly random, it can lead to some very frustrating clusters (clustering illusion).

The size and type of these clusters will change depending on the players skill.

A below average player will notice short win streaks (clusters) and long losing streaks (clusters).

An average player will not really notice any difference either way. He may of on a  10 win streak, followed by a 10 loss streak.

An above average player will notice long winning streaks, and shorter loss streaks.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,431 battles

Matchmaker considers very little.  It looks at tiers of ships, tries to make the number of each tier the same, and tries to give similar numbers of ship types. In both cases, if what is in the queue forces a choice between uneven teams made fast, or more even teams made slowly it goes for the fast option (when I say even or uneven here, I mean that if one team had 3 t10s the other also had 3, nothing about ranks, any kind of skill of players which is very hard to even adequately measure etc). It will also look at carriers. Matches with a carrier will always have the same number of carriers per team, and the carriers will mirror in tiers. 

I think it also tries to put equal numbers of divisions on each team, plus or minus 1 division, but don't quote me on that. There is basically no MM chicanery going on. 

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,989 battles

I just had a 32-2 streak the better you get as a player the more you can carry Potatoes. Try Div'ing with friends. 2 Div mates and I just carried a team where it was us 3 versus 8 reds. We walked away with 10 kills between the 3 of us. Streaks can go either way. The more you play and figure things out mechanics wise the loss streaks will become shorter. Also when you get to a point where you are no longer grinding look back on the ships you did well in put 4-500 games in those ships. Your win rate etc. Will skyrocket.

Sign in to follow this