You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Depth386

Salt Upon a Tier 7 Ranger

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
7 minutes ago, Depth386 said:

The USS Ranger Experience is well chronicled in this replay and my end-of-battle screenshots.

I get accused of "doing nothing" and some players agree to report me about a minute before I get a "Clear Sky" medal.

20170923_100823_PASA010-Ranger-1944_41_Conquest.wowsreplay

shot-17.09.23_10.23.06-0992.jpg

shot-17.09.23_10.22.48-0702.jpg

The ranger experience is normally very salty indeed.

Most of the time the ranger player may as well go afk.

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
8,208 battles

Not to change the subject but "Day of the Triffids" scared the crap out of when I was a kid. Hated my mom's flower garden.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,840 posts
18,644 battles

The problem is that even though you are knocking planes out of the sky, the Kaga has more and keeps landing punches.  Those punches help for the win.

[BEAR]
Members
88 posts
3,318 battles
12 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

The problem is that even though you are knocking planes out of the sky, the Kaga has more and keeps landing punches.  Those punches help for the win.

Yeah I realize Kaga sank a ship and helped towards the other team's victory. My point is that in the chat I get accused of doing nothing and people tell me they are reporting me.

It shows two things: 1) is the Salt and 2) is how terrible Ranger is.

Edit: Despite being Top Exp on my team, my allies feel like I'm not even trying. That's my real complaint.

Edited by Depth386

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,840 posts
18,644 battles

Agreed, that's why I chose the IJN line.  :Smile_great:You can't please everyone in a CV regardless.  I've had the salt flow in a game where I had a high caliber and clear sky.  The point was I didn't have planes scouting when and where someone else wanted. 

[BEAR]
Members
88 posts
3,318 battles
Just now, Warped_1 said:

Agreed, that's why I chose the IJN line.

I'm playing all nations and lines, I want to experience the variety that game has to offer. I do optimize a bit though, for example once I have enough Exp, I'm more likely to earn extra credits in a ship I enjoy.

1 minute ago, Warped_1 said:

You can't please everyone in a CV regardless.  I've had the salt flow in a game where I had a high caliber and clear sky.  The point was I didn't have planes scouting when and where someone else wanted. 

I guess I insert various epic fail pics or funny cat + caption pics here.

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
On 9/23/2017 at 10:56 AM, Ghostdog1355 said:

Not to change the subject but "Day of the Triffids" scared the crap out of when I was a kid. Hated my mom's flower garden.

Was a amazing film for sure............

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,027 posts
12,532 battles

Shooting down a bunch of planes after they've dropped on you is rather frustrating to see. You can have the impression the CV's doing nothing if they strafe them all after you've taken your third CV strike in a row.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,288 posts
9,171 battles

I sympathize with the OP, been there. But, playing as a CV captain you really have to forget about having good karma/ Don't worry about the reports, as soon as WG sees they are reports about a CV captain, the report gets filed in the trash.

But

2 minutes ago, mofton said:

Shooting down a bunch of planes after they've dropped on you is rather frustrating to see. You can have the impression the CV's doing nothing if they strafe them all after you've taken your third CV strike in a row.

This is true too. Clear skies achievement does not help your team, if you are shooting down enemy planes as they return to their carrier after a strike. If you shoot an entire squadron down, the enemy CV captain can reform new squadron faster than rearming an existing one. (I occasionaly deliberately sacrifice a squadron that has already struck, over some enemy AA, in order to get a new fully armed, complete squadron in the air ASAP.

So OP, the best thing to do is to only shoot down one or max two planes of an enemy squadron if they are returning to their carrier, that way you hamstring your opponent, slowing him down. Team mates who know this may feel unhappy with you if you are only focussing on Clear Skies, and may well give you a salty lecture on the subject.

But in all cases, forget about your karma.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I'm not so sure the op was late with the air support. Yes, the Kaga had a kill, but the Kaga was also 8th on the team in XP. The Kaga hits like a truck, so if strikes were getting through, i'd have expected them to be higher.

[XBRTC]
Members
208 posts
8,509 battles
23 hours ago, nuttybiscuit said:

This is true too. Clear skies achievement does not help your team, if you are shooting down enemy planes as they return to their carrier after a strike. If you shoot an entire squadron down, the enemy CV captain can reform new squadron faster than rearming an existing one. (I occasionaly deliberately sacrifice a squadron that has already struck, over some enemy AA, in order to get a new fully armed, complete squadron in the air ASAP.

Wait, didn't they implement a servicing time penalty for fully destroyed squadrons a few patches ago to fix that exploit?

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,288 posts
9,171 battles
3 minutes ago, SteveStevenson said:

Wait, didn't they implement a servicing time penalty for fully destroyed squadrons a few patches ago to fix that exploit?

it is not an exploit.

It is also CV dependant,different CVs react differently. On GZ for example, destroying an entire squadron accelerates take off of the following squadron.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
15 minutes ago, SteveStevenson said:

There's a service time penalty, but if you're far enough away, sacrificing the squadron can still be quicker. Of course, that usually means you could stand to be a lot closer.

[XBRTC]
Members
208 posts
8,509 battles
25 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

it is not an exploit.

It is also CV dependant,different CVs react differently. On GZ for example, destroying an entire squadron accelerates take off of the following squadron.

I always viewed it as one, for the IJN CVs for sure, because you were trading 3 or 4 planes for a quicker 2nd strike and you have those waves to spend. If that's how GZ is right now for the tests, I hope they remove that from the finalized ship

13 minutes ago, cometguy said:

There's a service time penalty, but if you're far enough away, sacrificing the squadron can still be quicker. Of course, that usually means you could stand to be a lot closer.

I thought so.

[BEAR]
Members
88 posts
3,318 battles
On 9/25/2017 at 3:55 PM, nuttybiscuit said:

Clear skies achievement does not help your team, if you are shooting down enemy planes as they return to their carrier after a strike. If you shoot an entire squadron down, the enemy CV captain can reform new squadron faster than rearming an existing one. (I occasionaly deliberately sacrifice a squadron that has already struck, over some enemy AA, in order to get a new fully armed, complete squadron in the air ASAP.

When Ranger's fighters need to re-arm, it's a flight back, 10 seconds landing, 40 seconds re-arming, 10 seconds taking off, flight to the allied ships again. And since US CV Concealment is crap, the flight times have to be longer than for IJN. It's not possible to always have air cover.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

I dont report AS carriers.  The fact that someone is playing a Ranger or Lossington in the first place makes me WANT to report them, but as soon as I see fighters airborne, they get no report.  I see strike spec, and I report them on sight.

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,256 posts
12,938 battles

I'm not as concerned about enemy strike planes, but rather spotting of DDs and groups going to cap. Those cap circles have got to be aggressively cleared or you lose your DDs and thus the game. I can usually see whether a CV guy knows the game by where those fighters go at the start of the match. 

Given that, I personally feel I have no business running a CV. I recognize it is hard, and don't report ugliness unless it is to give Karma, unless the driver is pitching people grief over chat. I might complain, but I hold off on the reporting. 

BTW, if you are looking for pointers on being a team player in a CV, nuttybiscuit has been pretty solid in the matches I have seen him play.