You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
abyssofthetriffid

When detection changed to max fire range i took off all my extended range modules from my ships.

13 comments in this topic

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles

So say if the max range with module is 16 km i can be detected on firing at 16 km but without module its say 12 km so when i fire now its 12 km detection.

Am i correct in what ive done to all my ships? it was a long time ago lol.

[WOLF4]
Beta Testers
434 posts

In most cases, no that was a bad idea. You have simply limited the amount of damage you can do and therefore your effectivnesss in battle.

• Cool 1

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,947 posts
11,434 battles

This was not a good idea. This is only arguably good on ijn dds, but even then, you still need to have viable guns which you are nerfing by doing this.

Members
610 posts
8,438 battles

No, not a good idea. All your adversaries now have better range than you. They are now capable of shooting you before you can shoot them. :cap_cool:

[WOLF5]
Members
2,699 posts
3,103 battles

No, only in a few cases is that wanted. Now you can only fire to limited ranges. Cruisers need that range (Atlanta possibly excepted). That change was made so the target would always be able to see what was shooting them. That's still true, so you've changed nothing, and instead now have to get closer to do damage. 

The only time that would be a good thing is if you need to get of detection very quickly. A short gun range means you can do that even with the firing bloom still active. But that is very situational.

Members
610 posts
8,438 battles
18 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

My battle method is normally to fight under 5km i think you are all misunderstanding my methods.

I like to brawl at under 5km and never at 20 ever.

Didn't misunderstand a thing. We answered what you asked. We cant read minds. :cap_wander:

Members
2,614 posts
3,583 battles

I am amazed by these replies.

When stealth fire was removed, there were certain DD mains (that still think that radar is a cheat) that were complaining that AFT would now be a nerf to their ships.

But, as a DD main (I have a fairly even amount of play time in all three types but my best performance is in dd's) I agree with the above posts, in all but a select few circumstances is it bad. Namely USN DD's that have as much or more range that's is useful without it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,358 battles
55 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

This was not a good idea. This is only arguably good on ijn dds, but even then, you still need to have viable guns which you are nerfing by doing this.

For USN DDs it's not a terrible idea. Since most of your fights are done up close anyways. Why not. For other ships. Naaa. Especially the RU DDs. Need every KM you can squeeze out.

• Cool 1

Members
1,684 posts
7,879 battles
25 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

For USN DDs it's not a terrible idea. Since most of your fights are done up close anyways. Why not. For other ships. Naaa. Especially the RU DDs. Need every KM you can squeeze out.

This. 

It it makes sense for DD knife fights since that is the one time you might suddenly sink the only ship in range to spot you. On cruisers and BBs though, once you are fighting then there is almost certainly someone else in range (probably a DD) to see your guns even with the shorter range. 

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,192 battles

Depends on preferred range of engagement and detection range really.

If you're only using guns in a DD Knife Fight, then yes, it's a sound move.
If you're using guns for anything else, no.

If you're a Battleship, the consideration for range isn't detection [you're a massive sausage. You're going to be spotted.] it's because Greater Range = Greater Dispersion, and increasing range can cause you to become needlessly frustrated when you still can't hit crap. [That's more for mods, and less for FCS upgrade]

Edited by AirshipCanon

Members
1,607 posts
9,437 battles
52 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

this^^  ships like cruisers need the range, as do russian DDs.   BBs don't really need the extra range, as most of them have good range anyways.  USN DDs dont really need it, but it can be useful at times.