You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
puxflacet

Stop The Hobbit Villages!

43 comments in this topic

Modder
399 posts
14 battles

dear WG, sometimes less is more...

I really dont get why you feel the need to add another small village/city to every tiny island on the map with every new patch. I appreciate the effort and details put in, but in my opinion it is waste of time and resources. When i skip the fact that all these walt disney castles and other stuff feel completely out of place, even stupid and cheesy, the main problem with these are that they are not in the scale with the ships and they look really awkward when you sail right next to them...not to mention their impact on map loadings and fps.

What i would like to see around are just some few minor objects like lighthouse, weather station, lone fisherman's hut - but in scale...and certainly not whole monte carlo on the tiniest island on the map. And its really harder and harder to ignore these when you are adding more and more of them. Really detrimental effort if you ask me...

My 2 cents.

Edited by puxflacet
  • Cool 10

[O_O]
Members
5,595 posts
12,708 battles

I appreciate a lot of the detail that goes into those villages.  However, the scale thing is a bit weird looking.  Plus, when there are city buses and large trucks driving around and the whole place is only a couple of blocks in size...odd.  I do really like the military air fields and depots, though.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,622 battles

I never had any issues with them. I am on a potato laptop, and I am able to run the game fine, no issues with houses or building here.

[CUTER]
Members
3,868 posts
19,959 battles

vMP4aAs.jpg

Sometimes I stop by one of those villages and begin daydreaming of this savage war ending. Maybe abandoning ship, setting foot on the shore and starting a peaceful new life as a fisherman, being a part of a nice little island community. Maybe finding a waifu there and having little lolis. How did I end up like this?  h-hold me brothers

• Cool 6

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
7 minutes ago, m373x said:

vMP4aAs.jpg

Sometimes I stop by one of those villages and begin daydreaming of this savage war ending. Maybe abandoning ship, setting foot on the shore and starting a peaceful new life as a fisherman, being a part of a nice little island community. Maybe finding a waifu there and having little lolis. How did I end up like this?  h-hold me brothers

Red light district..595c14556e4da_Smile_trollface(1).gif.4faeda411e486ec32dc1427275c8139f.gif

• Cool 1

[ADR]
Members
4,447 posts
15,465 battles
11 minutes ago, m373x said:

vMP4aAs.jpg

Shore leave is great for Sailor Morale

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
6 minutes ago, m373x said:

vMP4aAs.jpg

I did that as well once (though it was in a training room battle instead)

mWQgubl.jpg

OP, I dunno why you think they're not in scale, cause that looks perfectly to scale to me. I mean, these ships are massive compared to buildings...have you seen the real life size of the Iowa class? Freaking HUGE.

For example, THIS, is the USS Wisconsin...

Spoiler

nZoUpzS.jpg

That is a real life, non altered photo. Do you see how massive that ship is?

Also, those "Disney castles" are actually based off of real life places. Check iChase's easter egg series on certain maps. You'll probably learn some cool things.

• Cool 1

Modder
399 posts
14 battles

i know that there is real stuff. however mont saint michel still looks cheesy right next to the yamato

and no - they are not in scale. and yes - i know that ships are big

Edited by puxflacet

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
1 minute ago, puxflacet said:

i know that there is real stuff. however mont saint michel still looks cheesy right next to the yamato

and no - they are not in scale. and yes - i know that ships are big

Ok, so show us a picture of how they're not in scale. Several of us have shown you pictures of ships next to the towns and cities, and they seem perfectly to scale. If you believe otherwise, show us why you think so.

Modder
399 posts
14 battles

really? these multistorey buildings look in scale with the hood? try switch your port to london and observe how big are these buildings there

and take a look at this pic:

post-527138514-0-68848800-1431799717.png

Edited by puxflacet

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
8 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

really? these multistorey buildings look in scale with the hood? try switch your port to london and observe how big are these buildings there

I'm not in game to check, but I HAVE had the Hood loaded into the London port. And yes, I fully believe its to scale.

But what would I know right? I mean, its not like I've been around this game and forum since CBT and have discussed this topic numerous times both on this forum and on various other places like discord, steam, in game, not to mention actually taking the time to drive various ships up to those towns and cities to look at the scale and such... And its not like WG would take the time to actually make sure the buildings are actually to scale, especially in such an important part of the game such as the ports...

Oh wait. :Smile_hiding:

[HINON]
Members
1,584 posts
17,001 battles

I like these villages. They provide something to look at when I accidentally run aground skillfully beach my ship to avoid enemy torpedo's.

Modder
399 posts
14 battles
2 hours ago, Kitsunelegend said:

And its not like WG would take the time to actually make sure the buildings are actually to scale, especially in such an important part of the game such as the ports...

i'm not talking about scales in port but on the game maps. port scales are the real scales. map scales are shrinked

also guys. you didnt get my point. im not against good-looking scenery, but i would prefer plausible scenery and there is no reason to have islands filled with lots of tiny houses when you can have instead just few structures which really stand out and more importantly will be in scale with the ships...i found out that wg added in the new patch two more tiny villages on the biggest island on solomon map (+ channel through that island). also haven map received this treatment too. the map which always looked like desolate islands in middle of nowhere to me received some traces of human settlement. why didnt they make there some interesting cliffs instead, i dont know... it seems to me that now you literally found one village on every corner which i simply dont get and it becomes rather annoying, distracting even immersion-breaking and i bet my old computer would work way smoother without these

Edited by puxflacet

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
8 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

i'm not talking about scales in port but on the game maps. port scales are the real scales. map scales are shrinked

The why did you tell me to load up the london port?

Those multistory buildings are at most, 3 to 4 floors, if you count the ground floor as the 1 first floor (which most people do) The scales are fine.

Heres a good way to check as well. Take a look at the doors on your ship. See their size? Now compare that to the doors on the houses. They're roughly the same size. Those houses in your screenshot above are at MOST, one or two room houses. They're tiny, even in real life. Some of them even look like shacks or huts at best. I should know how small those things are, I have a cousin who lives in a house that small.

Seriously, the scales are fine.

Modder
399 posts
14 battles
8 minutes ago, Kitsunelegend said:

The why did you tell me to load up the london port?

i told you to compare the buildings from the picture you posted with buildings in the port

Members
1,933 posts
8,496 battles

Yes please. Give me bare islands, little towns have no bearing on gameplay and consume computing resources. 

• Cool 1

Members
512 posts
7,657 battles

I like the scenery.  I like the idea of an audience on shore watching the battle or cowering in fear of a stray shell.

The only disappointment I have is that the buildings don't blow up when hit.  It would be fun to get a civilian death count in the game.  Earn a war crimes tribunal.  Or just make the civies pay when a ship is running and hiding.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
9 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Yes please. Give me bare islands, little towns have no bearing on gameplay and consume computing resources. 

If thats how you think, then you may as well go play pong or tetris.

9 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

i told you to compare the buildings from the picture you posted with buildings in the port

I had to pull an image from google, but I see no difference, other than the buildings in the London port being a few floors taller than the ones in my original screenshot.

Basically, they look almost exactly the game.

Dont believe me? Heres a direct comparison between the two images.

Spoiler

ypYiHII.png

zhsul6x.jpg

Edited by Kitsunelegend

[-K-]
Members
4,937 posts
15,987 battles

The impact of those buildings on system performance is extremely low thanks to rendering technology that replaces all the buildings with simpler (and fewer) shapes when they are far away. They're so small at that distance that you don't notice, but it costs your computer practically nothing to draw those.