You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cruiser_SanJuan

US NAVY ships are on their way to the Caribbean

12 comments in this topic

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,142 posts
6,012 battles

USS Oak Hill (LSD 51), USS Kearsarge (LHD 3), USS Wasp (LHD 1), USNS William McLean (T-AKE 12), and SS Wright (T-AVB 3)

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,254 posts
2,029 battles

Several Academy ships have been sent down as well, including TS Kennedy (Mass. Maritime), and the TS Empire State VI (NY Maritime). Texas Maritime's ship (TS General Rudder) is staying in port at Galveston to help there.

I'm not sure where the Kennedy is atm, but the Empire State VI is currently in Key West, she was re-routed after Irma hit.

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
471 posts
2,404 battles

I have a friend who is Ops on KEARSARGE.  He's been posting some great pics on his FB feed.

1,266 posts
13 battles
59 minutes ago, Irishwind said:

I have a friend who is Ops on KEARSARGE.  He's been posting some great pics on his FB feed.

That's so awesome! If you're able to share any of those pictures on the forum (with permission of course), please do. :)

Beta Testers
405 posts
4,788 battles

This actually happens whenever there is a major disaster.  The US Navy will sortie out with relief supplies usually via an amphibious group since they will have lots of hangar or vehicle storage room available.  I did this in '89 when a hurricane tore Jamaica a new one. 

Fukushima earthquake in Japan?  US Navy first on scene with medical supplies.  Tsunami that killed thousands in Indonesia?  US Navy got there first too.  It's great that this particular thankless job the Navy does is finally getting some recognition though.

• Cool 1

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles
56 minutes ago, 56Bravo said:

This actually happens whenever there is a major disaster.  The US Navy will sortie out with relief supplies usually via an amphibious group since they will have lots of hangar or vehicle storage room available.  I did this in '89 when a hurricane tore Jamaica a new one. 

Fukushima earthquake in Japan?  US Navy first on scene with medical supplies.  Tsunami that killed thousands in Indonesia?  US Navy got there first too.  It's great that this particular thankless job the Navy does is finally getting some recognition though.

Usually when it pops up in the news, someone makes a rather tasteless joke about "what they gonna do, bomb them?"

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
471 posts
2,404 battles
2 hours ago, AirshipCanon said:

Usually when it pops up in the news, someone makes a rather tasteless joke about "what they gonna do, bomb them?"

Had this in 2005 with Katrina.  We sent three carriers to help.  Some liberal friend snarked something like that.  I had to school him that each CV was a fully functional airport that could receive supplies on fixed winged planes (C-2 CODS), break apart the pallets, and sent the relief out on the embarked helicopters.  I had to remind him that the airports in the region were trashed and there was no land based air traffic controls.  Second, the crew have a large kitchen that prepares 3 meals plus midrats and keep food stocked for the 5500 sailors per Nimitz class.  Those kitchens can also be making food for relief efforts.  And the Bakery on Lincoln (I know, a west coast CV but my first ship) made some awesome cookies.  Also, each ship is capable of making close to 100,000 gallons of fresh water each day.  Oh, and each carrier has a ER / trauma unit that is on par with a major city's general hospital.  So yeah.  Maybe we should let your bitter, liberal MoveOn buddies step up and lets see what they can do. 

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
2 hours ago, Irishwind said:

Had this in 2005 with Katrina.  We sent three carriers to help.  Some liberal friend snarked something like that.  I had to school him that each CV was a fully functional airport that could receive supplies on fixed winged planes (C-2 CODS), break apart the pallets, and sent the relief out on the embarked helicopters.  I had to remind him that the airports in the region were trashed and there was no land based air traffic controls.  Second, the crew have a large kitchen that prepares 3 meals plus midrats and keep food stocked for the 5500 sailors per Nimitz class.  Those kitchens can also be making food for relief efforts.  And the Bakery on Lincoln (I know, a west coast CV but my first ship) made some awesome cookies.  Also, each ship is capable of making close to 100,000 gallons of fresh water each day.  Oh, and each carrier has a ER / trauma unit that is on par with a major city's general hospital.  So yeah.  Maybe we should let your bitter, liberal MoveOn buddies step up and lets see what they can do. 

Thats why I bloody love the US Navy. Not only are they probably the single most powerful naval force on this planet, but they have probably the best disaster relief abilities as well, from the very same ships.

God bless you sir, and thank you for your service! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
405 posts
4,788 battles

Indeed.  The US spends billions in aid around the world, but according to the News it's always only about oil.  No other country in the world sports aid from both the government and private corporations like the US, organizations like Doctors without borders in particular comes to mind.  Knowing this truth allows me to take all the America hate from everywhere else in the world.  America is a land of freedom and liberty, where we have both the worst kind of humanity, but also the best.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,236 posts
4,797 battles

Glad to hear it those folks need all the help they can get! Lets hope any family and relatives OP has there are safe and well!

• Cool 1

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
471 posts
2,404 battles

My friend might be having a bad day.  He just posted pics of Geraldo Rivera receiving a tour of the ship and relief efforts.  Fox has better talent that could be doing these stories.