You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
toosonmike

Texas...still good?

29 comments in this topic

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

Given the MM, I would not recommend it.  it's too bad you didn't get the chance to sign up for the buddy program and get it for free.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

Texas sees a lot of T7 now, a little over 50% of her games are down a tier.  Arizona is the better purchase imo.  Now, if you have a buddy that likes playing T4 carrier, a Texas/T4 CV div can be interesting.

[SIM]
Members
4,028 posts
6,891 battles

If you're looking for a low tier premium BB, she's a cut above the Ishizuchi. That said, she's not particularly special, and if being uptiered bothers you, then you're not going to have a great time with her. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,468 battles

MM up to tier seven? Have to think hard about that one. Maybe I'll just stick to lighting fires with the iron duke.  I just liked the AA aspect of shredding planes!

Thanks

[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,178 posts
12,403 battles

As long as you go in understanding tier 5 matchmaking it is a good US BB trainer and even the tier 7 CV's need to pay attention when flying near a Texas even when not set up for AA/secondaries. While slow she has good guns to back up the no fly zone and I still enjoy plying mine.

[SALVO]
Members
22,411 posts
22,855 battles
25 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

If you're looking for a low tier premium BB, she's a cut above the Ishizuchi. That said, she's not particularly special, and if being uptiered bothers you, then you're not going to have a great time with her. 

The Texas is better than the Ishi overall, but the Ishi has the advantage of tier 4 MM, which is certainly a plus.

[PVE]
Members
17,131 posts
10,908 battles
22 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

As long as you go in understanding tier 5 matchmaking it is a good US BB trainer and even the tier 7 CV's need to pay attention when flying near a Texas even when not set up for AA/secondaries. While slow she has good guns to back up the no fly zone and I still enjoy plying mine.

Same here. I took the aux gun module to make the AA last a little longer and the AA module for 20% more range on both the NY and TX. I'm building a 10pt cpt to share between them with BFT and AFT. MFCAA doesn't work on either as the AA isn't big enough. You can't protect other ships, but can make it expensive to attack you. I like playing it even if I'm bottom tier.

[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,178 posts
12,403 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

Same here. I took the aux gun module to make the AA last a little longer and the AA module for 20% more range on both the NY and TX. I'm building a 10pt cpt to share between them with BFT and AFT. MFCAA doesn't work on either as the AA isn't big enough. You can't protect other ships, but can make it expensive to attack you. I like playing it even if I'm bottom tier.

Even when set up for the big guns, that is my set up, it is a dangerous nut for a CV to crack and it is amazing how many will try.

[RKLES]
Members
10,316 posts
12,000 battles

I still like using Texas and she netted me a very nice "Clear" Skies award not that long ago.

Big thing is you will definately want the superintendent Captain skill since if you are bottom tier main thing is you will need to regenerate your HP a lot, but the ship still can put up very nice damage scores thanks to how many main guns it has and Aircraft still suffer from its AA. Still a viable ship.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,468 battles

Well, took her into coop, with a 9 point capt. I had from the erie, didn't do much damage, but shot down 14 planes!

It's slow, but that might keep me out trouble, lol! I did take superintendent, also.

Thanks for all the replies!

Edited by toosonmike
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
11,664 posts

I still like playing her. I find the main battery range module is more important since you are uptiered so often. U need the range on those large maps and you move so slow.

[ICOP]
Members
1,021 posts
14,755 battles

I really enjoy playing my Texas. Even up-tiered, she can do reasonably well. Don't hesitate to switch over to HE if facing angled BBs two tiers higher. If you enjoy playing the ship half as much as I do, you will really like it. Just had a game in mine, actually. 

Respects,

Am

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,468 battles
4 minutes ago, Amracil said:

I really enjoy playing my Texas. Even up-tiered, she can do reasonably well. Don't hesitate to switch over to HE if facing angled BBs two tiers higher. If you enjoy playing the ship half as much as I do, you will really like it. Just had a game in mine, actually. 

Respects,

Am

I think I'll like her just fine!

For upgrades I took Main Armaments, AA Mod 2, and Damage control 1. Did I mess up anywhere?

Edited by toosonmike

[HOTEL]
Members
2,018 posts
7,133 battles

It's fine. The only thing holding it back is speed, which is a problem on most BBs in the tier range. Don't listen to people who complain about MM spread, they're just ignorant about the server population and rate of progression.

[ICOP]
Members
1,021 posts
14,755 battles
27 minutes ago, toosonmike said:

For upgrades I took Main Armaments, AA Mod 2, and Damage control 1. Did I mess up anywhere?

I took:

Main Arm. Mod 1

Artillery Plot Room Mod 1 (adds range, which is very nice when up-tiered)

Dam. Ctrl. Mod 1 

I don't think you messed up. But you might decide down the road that you want more range on your main guns. 

Glad you picked up the Texas. Very fun!

Respects,

Am

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,468 battles

Thanks...having a blast in coop right now! I think I have like four of arty room mods in inventory...I'll give it a whirl.

Much appreciated!

[PVE]
Members
17,131 posts
10,908 battles
7 hours ago, Amracil said:

Respects,

Am

Yeah, also you can use HE on another AA ship to wipe off AA guns. I do that to the bot Texas in co-op for a CV to make strikes.

7 hours ago, toosonmike said:

6 hours ago, Amracil said:

I took:

Main Arm. Mod 1

Artillery Plot Room Mod 1 (adds range, which is very nice when up-tiered)

Dam. Ctrl. Mod 1 

I don't think you messed up. But you might decide down the road that you want more range on your main guns. 

Glad you picked up the Texas. Very fun!

Respects,

Am

6 hours ago, toosonmike said:

Thanks...having a blast in coop right now! I think I have like four of arty room mods in inventory...I'll give it a whirl.

Much appreciated!

Nah, it's personal preference on module loadout for ships. Same for captain skills. I take aux guns, AA module and damage control to maximize the AA. Run any ship for how you play, not someone else. (I don't mean to not take advice or ask what others do, but when it all comes down to it, play it how you like)

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
393 posts
10,809 battles

I enjoy mine though your mileage will vary.  Arizona is one hell of a fighting upgrade in ability to tank but the AA of Texas is still fun enough for me.  I got mine in a Christmas crate and I wouldn't have actually bought the dreadnought with money though.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,379 posts
8,031 battles
16 hours ago, toosonmike said:

Since it's on sale for 2675 doubloons, is it still a good BB? Reviews on youtube are old.

Ship's good, MM is horrid.