You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Edgecase

Such a waste...

19 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

As I looked at the scoreboard today, something occurred to me:

Every single person you see in a match who isn't in a clan is slowly completing the one-time oil mission chain, and that oil is going straight to the bottom of the sea, never to be seen again. You can't re-do the chain, and you can't get the oil back if it was earned outside a clan. It doesn't even count toward their personal wallets, since the personal wallet is apparently "all the oil you've earned for a clan at any point".

So much oil wasted.

Members
9,980 posts
4 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

As I looked at the scoreboard today, something occurred to me:

Every single person you see in a match who isn't in a clan is slowly completing the one-time oil mission chain, and that oil is going straight to the bottom of the sea, never to be seen again. You can't re-do the chain, and you can't get the oil back if it was earned outside a clan. It doesn't even count toward their personal wallets, since the personal wallet is apparently "all the oil you've earned for a clan at any point".

So much oil wasted.

You do realize that the vast majority of players could care less ...right?

The last thing they are looking for is MORE GRIND.....:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,836 posts
7,129 battles
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Fast changing, random battles are now more than half filled with members of one clan or another.

:Smile_popcorn:

[SALVO]
Members
17,098 posts
17,769 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

But the thing is that there are some clans that have been set up for people who don't want to play in clans, don't want clan wars, don't want to division, etc.  Those clans off you the benefit of having the oil you generate get put into the clan buildings that will actually help you in your individual grind.  There's literally no downside to joining one of these clans, unless you don't even want a clan tag.

Members
9,980 posts
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

But the thing is that there are some clans that have been set up for people who don't want to play in clans, don't want clan wars, don't want to division, etc.  Those clans off you the benefit of having the oil you generate get put into the clan buildings that will actually help you in your individual grind.  There's literally no downside to joining one of these clans, unless you don't even want a clan tag.

Except most of those "Casual clans" will never grind a thing.....

Casual players aren't going to grind those rewards in any timely manner. Players will come, realize no one is really grinding, that they'll have to work at grinding if they want the bonuses, then move onto the next....eventually they'll start looking for clans that already have bonuses, so they don't have to work at it.

If I seem somewhat negative on the whole clan thing, it's because I believe clans are the poison pill that will really make this game fail.... 

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles

Personally there are so many rewards,campaigns,containers,I can't keep track of em all..I had all the ARP ships suddenly appear in my Port one day because I completed somthing or other

so if I spill a little oil I'm not to concerned 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,098 posts
17,769 battles
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Except most of those "Casual clans" will never grind a thing.....

Casual players aren't going to grind those rewards in any timely manner. Players will come, realize no one is really grinding, that they'll have to work at grinding if they want the bonuses, then move onto the next....eventually they'll start looking for clans that already have bonuses, so they don't have to work at it.

If I seem somewhat negative on the whole clan thing, it's because I believe clans are the poison pill that will really make this game fail.... 

I sorta see what you're saying.  But I guess the thing is to try to find a clan of players who care about the grind, even if they don't care about divisioning, clan wars, and so on.  

Regarding your comment about clans being a poison pill, the problem is that there's a portion of the player base that desperately wants clans, and another portion that doesn't.  Those that do are probably the more dedicated players who will spend money on the game.  I'm in between.  I don't like the poisonous nature of unicum clans and clan wars.  There are a lot of people who want play in CW's but have no chance when some unicum clans decide they want to go seal clubbing.  It's like a major league baseball team deciding to pick on some high school or college team.  It's just not fair.  And IMO, just saying "git gud" just doesn't cut it.  Clan Wars shouldn't just be for unicum clans.  Everyone should have a chance to participate and win some battles and have fun.  But unicum clans simply make clan wars no fun, unless you're in one of them.  The thing is that I also don't have a solution, because jerks have been known to start up alt accounts with alt clans, and what's to stop them from doing that, if somehow their unicum clans were blocked from seal clubbing lesser clans?

One thing that I'd like to see with WoWS clans is that any CW's should NOT give out reward ships, and should not give out rewards of gold.  I might find reward ships less insulting if such ships were tier 8 or below, and were put on sale within a handful of months after being given out as reward ships.  IMO, no reward ship should ever be exclusively reward ships.  That also becomes poisonous, as people who simply aren't good enough or don't have the time or patience, will get angry and frustrated at not being able to just spend some money to get them, even if they have to wait a bit to do so.

• Cool 2

Members
4,566 posts
6,505 battles
26 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Personally there are so many rewards,campaigns,containers,I can't keep track of em all..I had all the ARP ships suddenly appear in my Port one day because I completed somthing or other

so if I spill a little oil I'm not to concerned 

Hell I can't keep track of it either.  I just play in the pubs. I am at the age the LESS complicated sh#t is the better. Wears me out trying to keep up with the speed of light tech innovations. I am back to SIMPLE.  Very relaxing. Tonight gotmy fireplace going.....electric OFFlater.oking a filet later over my fire etc. etc. blah blah. 

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,186 posts
11,702 battles
36 minutes ago, Crucis said:

This.  If I didn't already have a tiny clan with a friend, I'd join the wolves, just because free benefits are free.  I'd let people join ABDA if they wanted to, but I'm not going to go out of my way to recruit either.

[FTWRK]
Members
560 posts
3,502 battles
41 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Fast changing, random battles are now more than half filled with members of one clan or another.

:Smile_popcorn:

Um def not in ANY of the 3 dozen battles I've played in the last 2 days; like 2-4 total are in clans most of the time. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,079 posts
6,806 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

and that oil is going straight to the bottom of the sea

actually, i believe oil sits on the top of the water

Beta Testers
1,865 posts
19,071 battles

I'm  in a clan and in the past two days we received ( 18 )  new members and we already improved two Items on our base. we have 29 players now with one opening left. So now we are saving up all our oil to reach 20.000 Oils so we can go from 30 player limit to a 40 player limit  , only 18,500  Oil left to get in order to advance the Clans HQs ............ And this Oil thing just started the other day......

Members
2,594 posts
12,485 battles

It's an addition to the game, and anything that sparks interest is a good thing. The simple reality is that the gains and discounts are so trivial that in the end they simply wont matter. Increasing ones skill level slightly will more than compensate for what the economic buffs add.

Now, for those that are excited about clans wars, that is a different animal. But be warned, as a ten year vet of Warcraft and arena and rated battlegrounds, more friendships are lost than gained by team vs team play....

[HELLS]
Members
1,703 posts
15,579 battles

For average players. the clan is a plus once the setup is done because the benefits, while they may seem marginal, all add up. It is like putting signal flags that you earn in containers or pay for on your ship, only all it costs is a bit of a grind to get things started. As Eric mentioned, it takes a bit of time to get organized, because, after all, you are building a Navy Yard to get started! It is not as if we won't face unicum clans once clan battles starts. We will. Ours is a very average group. One thing the game has taught me is that any unicum player can be sunk, and I have sunk my share of them in Random and in Ranked. What clan battles will do is push average players to better co-ordinate tactics in the game, and that will be a step up in gameplay quality for everyone, and make the solo unicum experts think twice...