You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

German BB IFHE

23 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
5,261 posts
9,099 battles

Quick question everyone....with all the recent changes to IFHE, is it still a relevant/mandatory captain skill for German secondary builds?

Just got done a game in FDG brawling with 3 other battleships, and the secondaries seemed to not be very effective in accumulating damage.  Made me wonder if the secondary build is worth the investment.  Do I need IFHE to make it competitive again?

[HINON]
Members
9,017 posts

The main benefit of the secondaries against other bbs is starting fires. IFHE is not worth the 4 points for it on a german BB. Other skills like fire prevention would be much more useful for 4 points.

• Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,726 battles

The raw damage shouldn't be what you're looking for, the fires is why people spec secondaries. IFHE probably isn't worth it for BBs.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,261 posts
9,099 battles
6 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The main benefit of the secondaries against other bbs is starting fires. IFHE is not worth the 4 points for it on a german BB. Other skills like fire prevention would be much more useful for 4 points.

5 minutes ago, FayFay731 said:

The raw damage shouldn't be what you're looking for, the fires is why people spec secondaries. IFHE probably isn't worth it for BBs.

I don't have IFHE spec at this time.  I was just wondering if it was worth it for penetration damage.

[HINON]
Members
9,017 posts
13 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I don't have IFHE spec at this time.  I was just wondering if it was worth it for penetration damage.

It really only helps against a few bow on bb's so pretty situational.

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
370 posts
9,052 battles

I have it only on my GK, I prefer to stack fires when I'm in my Bismarck. 

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles

I have it on my Kurfurst solely due to what another Kurfurst did to my North Carolina, he simply melted me without really ever hitting me with his main guns.  

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,068 posts
14,462 battles

I've never IFHE-Secondary Specced a German BB but there's been small talk about it, even some YT vids.  The one I always see it trying out, if ever on any German BB, is GK.

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles

I've always thought IFHE is a meme on everything. In order to deal damage with IFHE, you have to keep shooting, whereas with fire, you can set the fires and hide.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,177 battles

I looked into this.  They specified Kurfust and Gneisnau for ifhe secondaries and the videos were convincing.  Also, didn’t they just trade less chance of fire for greater range on German secondaries not long ago in a patch?  If you are losing most of your fire chance anyway maybe ifhe is worth for German bb secondaries now, and this should be revisited.  

[-K-]
Members
5,261 posts
9,099 battles
10 hours ago, comtedumas said:

I looked into this.  They specified Kurfust and Gneisnau for ifhe secondaries and the videos were convincing.  Also, didn’t they just trade less chance of fire for greater range on German secondaries not long ago in a patch?  If you are losing most of your fire chance anyway maybe ifhe is worth for German bb secondaries now, and this should be revisited.  

But I suppose the real question is, is IFHE worth the 4 points?

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
31 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I bet a more substantial argument could be made for not using IFHE even though I do. What is the time per battle that you are even using secondarys? Maybe 3 minutes? Unless you get close to another BB every other ship will run off asap or sink you with torps. the other major and I mean MAJOR problem I have with that build is its so much fun that I am putting myself in harms way just so I can use them...

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,261 posts
9,099 battles
7 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I bet a more substantial argument could be made for not using IFHE even though I do. What is the time per battle that you are even using secondarys? Maybe 3 minutes? Unless you get close to another BB every other ship will run off asap or sink you with torps. the other major and I mean MAJOR problem I have with that build is its so much fun that I am putting myself in harms way just so I can use them...

Which makes those same 4 points arguably more valuable with Fire Prevention instead of IFHE, due to the proliferation of HE spam at high tiers.

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Which makes those same 4 points arguably more valuable with Fire Prevention instead of IFHE, due to the proliferation of HE spam at high tiers.

Lols, I got all kinds of grief months ago about this...but I still am not sure manual secondary's is worth it either for the following reasons: 1) like I said, maybe three mins per game total use 2) Many times a ship pops up out of nowhere and it takes your secondary's a long time to turn and start shooting....and if there is a second ship or three only have half of your guns will fire at one ship only...whereas without manual all guns can fire at will at any number of targets. 3) it says a negative 60% dispersion while using manual secondary's but without a starting figure to measure dispersion that decrease in dispersion only means its better, but we have no real idea on how much better...

Just food for thought that I chew on.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
4 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Don't think so, as others have said against enemy BBs you want fires, and against everything else you don't need the penetration that much. Especially because for a secondary build it will require you to have three four-point skills (manual secondaries, AFT, IFHE), thus you're effectively forgoing one two-points and one three-points skill (or FP, as you pointed out).

Members
2,380 posts
7,680 battles
17 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

This is kinda hard after the nerf, german secundaries are nearly useless against BBs now, just fireworks most of the times. Still good against DDs and cruisers but bad against BBs.

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
1 minute ago, Xlap said:

This is kinda hard after the nerf

Which is why DE makes sense for a secondary build now.

Members
2,380 posts
7,680 battles
26 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I was thinking in change my secundaries build to DE or IFHE. 

- DE would increasse the fire chance, but fire chance is still troll.

- IFHE would be good for BBs and some cruisers, but it woud make even worse to get fires. 

[-K-]
Members
5,261 posts
9,099 battles
On 9/23/2017 at 0:46 PM, vak_ said:

Perhaps, but now I'm beginning to think there are much better 3 point skills than DE.  

I'm going to try more of a tank/survivability build now, since the secondaries still reach out to 9.4km even without over-emphasizing them.  The 2km difference (11.6km) between the two builds won't make or break any games for me.

[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,396 battles
On 9/22/2017 at 8:40 PM, Panzerlin said:

I have it only on my GK, I prefer to stack fires when I'm in my Bismarck. 

Kurfurst actually benefits far less from it than Bis would. The 128s already are able to pen superstructures, and it has fewer 150mm guns than Bis/Freddy. IFHE on Bis/Freddy makes more sense because those dinky 105s can't pen a wet paper bag without it. 

It's still pretty much a waste of 4 skill points either way. CE or MFAA will serve you much better in the long run overall. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Perhaps, but now I'm beginning to think there are much better 3 point skills than DE.  

I'm going to try more of a tank/survivability build now, since the secondaries still reach out to 9.4km even without over-emphasizing them.  The 2km difference (11.6km) between the two builds won't make or break any games for me.

Oh yeah, probably. I run a full-on secondary captain on my Scharn/Tirpitz, but that's just a personal preference. 

Beta Testers
614 posts
On 9/23/2017 at 8:40 AM, Ace_04 said:

No, it's worth two points. Which is what I've been screaming at WG since they decided to change it. 

WG,  please make IFHE a 2 point SKILL 

[NZS]
370 posts
9,052 battles
11 hours ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Kurfurst actually benefits far less from it than Bis would. The 128s already are able to pen superstructures, and it has fewer 150mm guns than Bis/Freddy. IFHE on Bis/Freddy makes more sense because those dinky 105s can't pen a wet paper bag without it. 

It's still pretty much a waste of 4 skill points either way. CE or MFAA will serve you much better in the long run overall. 

Meh, this is why I chose it originally:

Spoiler

To each their own, my 19 point Bis cap runs AFT, Manual Secondary and Manual AA which has proven to be a really fun combo.  As I play it more, I tend to have to deal with CVs more in it and I'm loathe to lose the 105mm boost.  With the GK, I care less because I hope an allied CV would know what they're doing.