You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Halonut24

Suggestion for Carrier Gameplay

8 comments in this topic

[WOSV]
Members
331 posts
2,199 battles

So I was thinking about Carrier Gameplay. How it is quite... disconnected from the gameplay of other ship types. I got to wondering, "Well, what could make it better?"

This is what I came up with.

All carriers have multiple control modes, so to speak. "1" for the ship itself. Then "2", "3", "4", and sometimes even "5" for squadron control. None of this is from the traditional perspective that is in WoWS. It is in the Top-down view exclusive to Carriers.

Now a good number of Carriers have a somewhat traditional ship armament, though it's usually no bigger than 5". But it only counts as secondaries. What if WG make it so those large secondary battery guns become a Carrier's primaries? And make it so that you can go into the normal ship view by pressing the "1" key that is normally used for navigation, and give direct control of those guns to the player just like any other ship. Consider it something like shotgunning for arty in WoT.

Ships like the Midway and the Essex have more 5" guns than most destroyers of that tier, but it never reflects that firepower in game. I think this kind of change would allow Carriers to defend themselves more directly as opposed to their pretty much 1-and-done strike squadrons and the wacky RNG of WoWS' secondary battery programing. 

What do you guys think? Would this help Carrier Gameplay fit into the game better?

[NG-NL]
Members
5,013 posts
8,240 battles

Seeing as CV's main armament is planes, this seems unworkable.

Carriers already fit pretty well in game as is. Only major problems are:

1) Vision control (Issm's pointed this out). Could fix it by changing CV loadout to include scout planes, all other planes should be unable to spot as effectively.

2) US vs. IJN loadout flexibility.

3) MM sometimes screws over one or the other. I've faced monstrous AA in all red ships some matches and others I can just pulverize at will. It'd be a welcome change if MM now puts at least 3 AA-specced (defined as having at least one each of AA-boost skill and module) on each team when CVs around, but ignore T4-5 CVs as they haven't manual aim.

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,857 battles

You do realize that you can hit "Z" at any time and get a first-person view from your ship and any of its squadrons if you want to be more "connected" with them? If you wanted to waste commander points you could also spec your carrier out to be a secondary gun-battler and then set a priority target to any ship that came within, say, 5 km. 

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I have a better suggestion.  just get rid of all the tech tree CV except t4/5 and   just sell  premium above 5.    frankly, it would at least make it bit more fair.      current system creates mismatch  that is very tough to overcome, resulting in bad customer experience for  12 players at the minimum.   until CV becomes no more powerful than any other class, it really need to be reined in hard.

[D_DOG]
[D_DOG]
Members
128 posts
8,162 battles

Glad to see positive thoughts - but agree, your idea won't work - for one thing, range on the 5" would be at most 6km, so in a "knife" fight, probably with a DD, you aren't going to be able to focus on manning the guns while controlling your squadrons - unless you set them to auto drop and auto engage fighters, but still, a little too much micromanagement to worry about.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,387 posts
3,875 battles

I don't see this as a very useful change. Most carriers are dead once spotted, especially if they're within gun range.

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

I have just started playing CVs. Take it slow and practice a lot on co-op. Manuel drop is a whole new experience and I have decided to really take my time and put games in. It is relaxing though, playing a tier 5 CV. IMO.