You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

What ship to introduce a new player to the game?

60 comments in this topic

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,339 battles

So my father is in town this weekend and has expressed interest in WoWS, so much so that he wants to try and play this evening. If he doesn't ask me what to play I'll let him do whatever. However if he asks me what ship to play I want to give him something fun with a low skill floor.  Im leaning towards a BB, probably Bismarck. Any ideas?

[TASH]
Members
5,016 posts
8,170 battles

Anything not American.  USN BBs are without a doubt the most demanding battleship line, as are USN CAs and DDs.  USN CVs are just masochism.

I'd say start him on a German cruiser.  They're tough to citadel and have very consistent gun performance thanks to 1/4th pen HE.  They also are easy to aim with thanks to good muzzle velocity and aren't super-punishing of misses since they have good RoF.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

Battleship, but I'd start low-tier. A lot of high-tier maps (think Shatter) and mechanics (like radar) aren't easy to wrap your head around the very first time you play, whereas the low tier maps are pretty much designed to get you into the action quickly.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,675 posts
25,840 battles

Other than T1., I'd say low tier German BB.

No more than T3 or T4 and in Coop.

• Cool 1

Members
642 posts
782 battles

Recommend the Bellerophon. As a novice to BB play I took her out once in PVE and won solidly. Then did the same in Random and did very well. She is easy to run, has good weaponry and if you division with your dad you can coach through the basics as you play (or over his shoulder). Do not overload with info before game, just basics and then mention stuff as the game goes along. The emotional appeal of battleships alone will boost a new players attention and pleasure.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,469 posts
10,488 battles

Bellerophon is easy to play.

alternatively, Ishizuchi or Konig Albert, if you have those.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,507 battles

Anything BB tier 4 and below. Mention angling and fire mechanics.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,543 posts
2,154 battles

I wouldn't throw him into T8. Remember the Derpitz?

I'd go T3 or 4. St. Louis is idiot proof (OK, well, mostly idiot proof). Wyoming is a good starter. If you want to show him higher tier gameplay, after he's got the basics, maybe coach him through the Bismark. If you do want to go high tier, I would go BB. Bismark, maybe NC or Amagi (I don't know what you have).

If you want a laugh, sit him down, give him your highest tier CV, and say "here, these are the best, just point and click."

Probably should try that in Co-op

I'm guessing you already know to play in Co-op, at least at first.

[B2P]
Members
517 posts
13,722 battles

Differing slightly from the views above, I would say start at a lower tier and have him use the St. Louis.  It's a fun ship that is pretty tough for its tier and is pretty easy to play.

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,339 battles
1 minute ago, Elegant_Winter said:

Texas.

oyx93Jb.png

Hmmm you may be onto something. Coop tier V should be a good starting place with a fun ship like Texas

• Cool 1

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
51 minutes ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

Anything not American.  USN BBs are without a doubt the most demanding battleship line, as are USN CAs and DDs.  USN CVs are just masochism.

I'd say start him on a German cruiser.  They're tough to citadel and have very consistent gun performance thanks to 1/4th pen HE.  They also are easy to aim with thanks to good muzzle velocity and aren't super-punishing of misses since they have good RoF.

Disagree strongly. While the guns are excellent and they are good ships for experienced players, the German cruisers before the Yorck are VERY easy to citadel and require proper positioning and lots of WSAD to survive. BB shells will citadel the Konigsberg and Nurnberg from ANY angle. Not recommended for brand new players.

German or Brit BBs would be my choices.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
10 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Hmmm you may be onto something. Coop tier V should be a good starting place with a fun ship like Texas

That sounds appropriate to me.

Members
821 posts
6,190 battles
37 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

So my father is in town this weekend and has expressed interest in WoWS, so much so that he wants to try and play this evening. If he doesn't ask me what to play I'll let him do whatever. However if he asks me what ship to play I want to give him something fun with a low skill floor.  Im leaning towards a BB, probably Bismarck. Any ideas?

the conqueror!

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,466 posts
3,875 battles

Nassau, Kaiser, Orion, Wyoming.

Any tier 4 or lower battleship should be fine.

Except Kawachi and Myogi, anyway. Kawachi sucks and Myogi is not kind to new players.

Edited by AraAragami

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,577 battles

First game I'd just give him the basic Hermilen to putt and shoot..:Smile_child:the Bismarck ... your kidding right:Smile_ohmy:.. I wouldn't use simple to discribe this boat.... heh Son Those flames are back again ,I thought we.. oh my dad your on fire again:Smile_sad: we're done this time

Members
2,434 posts
7,746 battles

Low tier ships, RN BB line is a good choice, hard/Impossible to cit, HE dont require good aim. 

High tier ships are a terrible choice, Bismarck will face lots of T10 battles, terrible choice IMO.

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,339 battles
2 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Low tier ships, RN BB line is a good choice, hard/Impossible to cit, HE dont require good aim. 

High tier ships are a terrible choice, Bismarck will face lots of T10 battles, terrible choice IMO.

Coop battles mate, but I'm going with Texas anyway

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,466 posts
3,875 battles
2 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Coop battles mate, but I'm going with Texas anyway

I hope you have the stars&stripes camo then.