You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aristotle83

Just bought Tirpitz

50 comments in this topic

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

Just bought a Tirpitz. Now that I basically have every ship I want(guess I might want the KGV) I think the game will be much more fun. Have never fought beyond Tier VI before any advice for how to handle TVIII and the Tirpitz in general?

Edited by Aristotle83

[ARMDA]
Members
8,998 posts
4,290 battles
16 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Just bought a Tirpitz. Now that I basically have every ship I want(guess I might want the KGV) I think the game will be much more fun. Have never fought beyond Tier VI before any advice for how to handle TVIII and the Tirpitz in general?

Your first mistake. Do not, and DO NOT, do this.

• Cool 3

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
7,393 battles

Take it into Co-Op and give it a spin. 

I try to keep mine around 8-10km to allow the secondaries to do work.  And when the time is right, move in for the kill with the torps.  But the torps are a bonus, not the end all.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,156 posts
11,252 battles

Get prepared for lots of admonition that you shouldn't have done that.

I did it, and my results suffered for it, but I'm not going to be among those saying "don't". Besides, it would be too late anyway.

The matchmaker will have you in Tier 8-9-10 battles a LOT. Tiers 8, 9, and 10 have lots of hard-hitting ships that you'll be up against. It'll hurt. My advice:

1. Read up on playing and handling the ship. Learn quick.

2. Make up your mind to be mentally tough (refuse to be discouraged by defeat). Defeat will happen. A lot. After many battles as a new player, my winrate in the Tirpitz was in the 30's. Low 30's.

But you've got a few hundred battles under your belt. As I recall, I had a few dozen.

My best advice: Don't go trying to prove to the world you've got torpedoes on the thing. They already know. And they're waiting for you. Play for a while like you don't have them, maybe just use them as "crimes of opportunity." Build for secondaries both on ship modules and captain skills. Premium consumables; because she burns readily.

If you've been no higher than Teir 6, you've never had a fast battleship before. Do you'rself a favor and don't use that speed all the time. Try not to show up first to a fight. There will be plenty of times your speed gets you overextended. You'll pay for it.

And then there will be the catcalls of disappointed teammates. Lot's of 'em. Ohhh, there will be b!itching like you wouldn't believe...and you'll have earned it. But, that's where the mental toughness comes in, and you just gotta learn from your mistakes and strap yourself back in, and fight again.

And along the way, you'll have the occasional good battle that will make you glad you got it. And if you learn along the way, the good ones will become more frequent.

But until then, it'll be a bumpy ride.

See? The bumps 'r' startin' already! Sit on a pillow.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
  • Cool 3

[SHEEP]
Members
216 posts
4,279 battles

If you've played other wargaming games, you should be able to adapt pretty quickly, In general it is not recommended to get high tier premiums immediately but I bought scharnhorst after less than 100 battles and did plenty fine with it. Although I would suggest holding off on playing it for a while, at least until you're certain of you abilities to play the game in the high tier meta, which unfortunately kinda screws the tirpitz over.

Good ship though, although I do miss having hydro after playing the bismarck

Edited by Q___________Q

[CWM]
Members
453 posts
14,354 battles

I bought my Tirpitz just like you did not owning any high tier ships and was frustrated at first especially in battles where I was low tier. But when they buffed the secondaries I changed to a secondary build and really enjoy the ship now and do well with it. Destroyers can't get in range for their torps without getting shredded from the secondaries. Also get the steering mod and concealment upgrades. Don't rush into battles at the beginning and look to destroy the ships that try to light you on fire repeatedly with HE. You will be amazed that your Tirpitz is like a tinderbox when they focus on you. Damage control 2 consumable is a must imho. Don't rely just on AP as HE works well at long range on angled ships. But AP shells do citadel most cruisers even angled.You may bounce AP shells off high tier BBs that are angled or do low damaged. I got so tired of the 1160 damaged number popping up on the screen when I wasn't using the ship correctly at first.Lastly when you see a lone BB at close range that doesn't have torps get up close and personal with those 6km torps! :cap_look:

Good luck and be patient with her.

[INTEL]
Members
7,274 posts
31,369 battles

As others have said, park it and get to T8 naturally. At least play comfortably at T7 facing T9s often. It is a disservice to you and to your team if you are do not fit comfortably in the Tier's meta.

I made that mistake early on long ago when I was barely at T5 and bought Atago. A game in this new shiny gem taught me I was not even remotely prepared for what I found. I parked it in port until I understood what fighting T8/T9 ships was all about.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

I have just "naturally" gotten into T5. I had bought T6 premiums upon reaching T4 and the transition wasn't that bad after a week or two which is why I'm doing it again. Also with the Tirpitz I really have acquired most of the ships I'm hell bent on getting so I thought it would make the game more fun. 

I will ignore the torpedo's/use them very sparingly until I know how they work. I did this with Graf Spee and only very recently have started using the torpedo's. 

[SYN]
Members
7,625 posts
12,930 battles

Be prepared to fail.  T6 is a much more forgiving environment then t8.  T8 is where (IMO) the game becomes much more serious.  I would have advised you to grind the Bismark and get comfortable there before buying the Tirpitz.  

So in light of that, just be ready to get smacked in the nose a lot. Preserver though as the Tirp is a fun ship.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,238 posts
1 hour ago, Unabletony said:

Your first mistake. Do not, and DO NOT, do this.

^This.

What is it with all these players jumping into high tier ships? Is WG giving them a discount?

OP: Your money, spend it any way you want, but bypassing tiers and jumping into high tier is a good way to ruin your entire game experience. 

Grinding the tiers is a pain, but if you actually take your time and do it, you'll likely learn a lot more than jumping into the fire....

[FDK]
Members
1,166 posts
2 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

:Smile_facepalm:

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles
6 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

Have never fought beyond Tier VI before any advice for how to handle TVIII

Huge mistake, never do that. You have no experiance with German BBs and high tier ships. T8 ships face more T10 ships, its a new world. 

If you want a advice, play the German line until you get the Bismarck. Get some XP. 

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

Damm the hate is strong. I got the ships cause as an amateur historian I wanted to control all the ships I was interested in!

My first game I was quite cautious trying to fire from a distance and while I got destroyed my team was getting obliterated regardless. In the second game I admittedly  was too aggressive and got one shotted by torpedoes. My team lost both games. 

It's a challenge but I see myself adjusting quite nicely soon! Also I do have experience playing German battleships up to T5, so yes I have played on the German line before! 

[MLPVA]
Members
313 posts
3,823 battles
16 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Damm the hate is strong. I got the ships cause as an amateur historian I wanted to control all the ships I was interested in!

My friend, this isn't hate we're giving you. It's quite the opposite. The World of Warships community is one of the most friendly I've eber personally experience. This is incredulity. I, personally, hadn't purchased my first premium ship until I had managed to get my Bismarck, around my 1000 battle mark.

The thing is, Tier VIII is in a bit of a rough spot. More often than not, you will be bottom tier in a Tier X match. In those battles, you not only have to contend with Tier VIII and IX ships, which are deadly in their own right, but also Tier X monsters. Not only will you have to go up against battleships like the Yamato and Großer Kurfürst, but also Tier X cruisers. Ships like the Des Moines. Moskva. Hindenburg. And that's to speak nothing of the destroyers you'll regularly face, like the Shimakaze and Khabarovsk.

By jumping right into Tier VIII without gaining the valuable knowledge that Tiers VI and VII offer, is like skipping out on swimming lessons and trying to jump right into the deep end of a pool.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,685 posts
7,176 battles
On 9/22/2017 at 4:05 PM, Aristotle83 said:

You are missing out if you don’t get Gneisnau and play her, she is a hoot.  

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
2 hours ago, Magic_Fighting_Tuna said:

Play as many random battles as you can and stay out of Co-op.

I am. I think I've adjusted quite nicely. I do have a rusty game here or there and there but I usually am in the 10-20 hit range and have broken 30 a few times after my screenshot. Like the Tirpitz, like it a lot. Only lower ranked BB I have that is almost as equally fun to play would be the Orion(don't know why, I just get hyped for matches with my Orion). 

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
3 hours ago, comtedumas said:

You are missing out if you don’t get Gneisnau and play her, she is a hoot.  

Well I plan on getting to T6,T7 at some point so I intend to experience this. I think I will be experiencing this sooner than I would be if I didn't get Tirpitz. 

I do promise myself though that this will be my last premium(unless another BB line is released) or they mass produce pre Dreadnought premiums(which I can't see being priced more than 10-15 dollars seeing as they'd be T2). While I enjoy the game, my primary focus unlike others is to study the history(which is why the T10 make believe ships don't really interest me) and I've gotten most of the ships/ship classes I really care about(that are available, not counting the CV's but hearing the horror stories about them, I'm not barking up that tree).  

Edited by Aristotle83

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,368 posts
12,850 battles

T6 Premium Ship

THE WARSPITE

you should buy that too

OH, if you enjoyed the Tirpitz and into history

Why not buy the doubloon and GET the

SCHARNHORST - She is t7, very similar play style to the Tirpitz