You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Defended flag ribbons

13 comments in this topic

[PT8TO]
Members
1,404 posts
13,240 battles

Ok so someone explain to me how you get these ribbons exactly because it seems so inconsistent.

The reason i ask is because many times yesterday  I am the only one firing on an enemy BB or CA sitting on a flag trying to cap it and I am not getting any of those ribbons.

Then i have a game same scenario in another match and I score 10

Do you have to do a certain type of damage to the ship trying to cap? 

Is it only penetrations or whats the deal?

Makes no sense I flat out killed the BB trying to cap from full health to none and did not get one defended flag/base ribbon.

Maybe i should have let him capture a greater percentage of it before firing each time? 

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,830 posts
11,513 battles

I don't think penetrations matter. I think it has to do with whether the ship you hit has capture points. So here are some simple examples.

You are in your base when an enemy DD sails in, because your in the cap the enemy is unable to acquire capture points therefor shooting him doesn't earn you any defensive ribbons.

On the other side, enemy DD is capping your base, has it to 50% when the cv spots him allowing you to shoot him. Since he has aquired capping points he gives hip defensive hit ribbons (until you exhaust his cap points)

Edit:

Defended - One ribbon is awarded per hit which reduces accumulated capture points on an enemy ship within a capture point.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ribbons

Edited by Kapitan_Wuff
  • Cool 3

[PT8TO]
Members
1,404 posts
13,240 battles
3 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I don't think penetrations matter. I think it has to do with whether the ship you hit has capture points. So here are some simple examples.

You are in your base when an enemy DD sails in, because your in the cap the enemy is unable to acquire capture points therefor shooting him doesn't earn you any defensive ribbons.

On the other side, enemy DD is capping your base, has it to 50% when the cv spots him allowing you to shoot him. Since he has aquired capping points he gives hip defensive hit ribbons (until you exhaust his cap points)

Well maybe that was the issue i never allowed the BB to gain any capture points even though he was sitting it in till he died.

Ill have to go back and compare the 2 matches and look more closely to see if that was the difference.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,090 posts
12,646 battles

Yeah, I think you get a ribbon any time you do damage that makes someone "drop" points. Jury is still out on whether the XP rewards are based on the number of ribbons, or the total amount of points you make them drop. There's some kind of cap on the number of points they can drop from a single hit, which is why you sometimes get 2-3 ribbons for a single salvo.

For what it's worth, I believe a "capture point" is equal to one second of sitting on a cap. Or maybe it was two seconds. Hitting people more often than that won't give more ribbons, because they haven't re-gained a "point" to drop. Ripple firing at few-second intervals is more effective for this reason.

Edited by Edgecase

[PT8TO]
Members
1,404 posts
13,240 battles

Well thanks for the input,  I would not have even asked but when you actually need to get them to complete the 7 defended ribbons mission in a BB and go out and actually try

to accumulate them without ever have really needing to understand the mechanic behind it. 

To gain some knowledge about it always helps out.  :cap_like:

[HELLS]
Members
1,702 posts
15,518 battles

I have never won a Defend ribbon in a Standard battle despite sinking ships capping our base by successive gunfire salvoes or with torpedoes. Domination battles with three caps, a single hit on a capping enemy ship will get a ribbon. Sitting in the same cap zone that your team holds and hitting an enemy ship enters or is inside it, the cap is blocked because you are sitting in it, so no ribbon for hits scored. Multiple hits from the same salvo from outside the cap zone, 1 ribbon only. Multiple salvos with hits, 1 ribbon per salvo. Epicenter, if the enemy is capping a zone none of your team's ships are currently in, you hit that ship, you get the ribbon. One of your ships in the same zone, no ribbon because cap is blocked. It is consistent in the way it works

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,090 posts
12,646 battles
2 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

you actually need to get them to complete the 7 defended ribbons mission in a BB

I did it by baiting a FdG into charging me across a cap point as I backed up and ripple fired the main battery guns every few seconds.

I'd expect that most people would do it by using secondaries instead.

Also, don't forget that you have to live afterward to complete the mission.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,404 posts
13,240 battles
Just now, Edgecase said:

I did it by baiting a FdG into charging me across a cap point as I backed up and ripple fired the main battery guns every few seconds.

I'd expect that most people would do it by using secondaries instead.

Also, don't forget that you have to live afterward to complete the mission.

LOL I had 4 games that I got  6 ribbons in my Kurfurst yesterday and lived 

I was like SOB  can i not get just one more flag WTH

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I have one too since y'all are here.

The one that you get 3 stars from 40k spotting damge. Anyone know is that just spotting, or is that my dmg and spotting together? It's on part 3 of Yama.

I'm mobile so I'm not in front of my CP.

It says, "help your friends", so i didn't know how that wording was actually meant.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[PT8TO]
Members
1,404 posts
13,240 battles
10 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

I have one too since y'all are here.

The one that you get 3 stars from 40k spotting damge. Anyone know is that just spotting, or is that my dmg and spotting together? It's on part 3 of Yama.

I'm mobile so I'm not in front of my CP.

It says, "help your friends", so i didn't know how that wording was actually meant.

I think i got that one in my Gearing and all i did was spotted a few enemy ships while my team focused them if i remember right.

Honestly i noticed it is easier to complete most of my missions if i do not try but just go out and play my game and the missions complete themselves.

When i try to focus on missions things like bad loosing streaks and 18% survival ratings hit me like what happened yesterday :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,090 posts
12,646 battles
20 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

It's "damage by spotting" as shown on the Detailed Statistics screen after the battle, I believe.

To the best of my knowledge, this is defined as "Any damage somebody deals to a target you can see but they can't".

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
20 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

I think i got that one in my Gearing and all i did was spotted a few enemy ships while my team focused them if i remember right.

Honestly i noticed it is easier to complete most of my missions if i do not try but just go out and play my game and the missions complete themselves.

When i try to focus on missions things like bad loosing streaks and 18% survival ratings hit me like what happened yesterday :Smile_facepalm:

6 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

It's "damage by spotting" as shown on the Detailed Statistics screen after the battle, I believe.

To the best of my knowledge, this is defined as "Any damage somebody deals to a target you can see but they can't".

Great! Thanks guys!

• Cool 1