You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

Right of way....

29 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
411 battles

What are the Rules of the Road when it comes to who is at fault for a collision/ramming and assigning penalties?  Are they the same as USCG rules?

Members
163 posts
411 battles
1 minute ago, SocksRevenge said:

There are no rules!  Both parties are penalized for collision/ramming.

So in a crossing situation there is no stand on or give way ship?

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,106 posts

Generally (in terms of etiquette), the ship with the most tonnage is seen as not at fault. It's a lot harder for a BB that takes well over a minute to turn to get out of the way of a light cruiser or DD zigzagging around.

Use common sense for exceptions.

In terms of actual game mechanics, both parties are equally responsible.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,333 posts
6,609 battles
4 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

the law of Gross Tonnage 

Until a Battleship rams my Belfast out of my smoke :Smile-angry:

• Cool 2

Members
163 posts
411 battles
10 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

the law of Gross Tonnage 

That's a common sense rule, not a USCG rule.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,462 posts
3,875 battles
7 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Happens all the time. Get used to it in any ship with smoke. Pretty typical behavior from those primadonnas.

[RKLES]
Members
7,234 posts
9,038 battles
20 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

the law of Gross Tonnage 

Lol I like this one since all too often it's a DD that rams me when I am trying to sail a very sluggish turning BB lol.

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
16 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Wasn't your particular example ship, (I think I was in Leander or Fiji...)  but I finally, actually had the experince of getting pushed out of my smoke by someone else...

Revenge was had though, I got away, and they caught the torps fired at my smoke.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,045 posts

Most players would not recognize the rules of the road, or right of way if you posted them in the mess. Not even if you wrapped them onto a belaying pin and vigorously applied it to their noggins.

Better to use the old standby, the least manueverable has the right of way, and hope your team mate is not sucked into their zoomed view.

Beta Testers
1,256 posts
8,148 battles

I had a recent spat in a match with somebody who t-boned my low tier BB with a, hmmm, Kuma, I believe.  He hit at a speed and angle that stuck him to me for at least 2-3 minutes.  He refused to do anything to mitigate things, resulting in me eventually getting nailed by TB's...

That's when he reversed engines, btw, when he realized I was going to turn to give him a taste of torpy soup.

Mind you, I once hit a BB in my DD, and somehow managed to nudge him enough to thread a cross drop that I escaped as well.

Next question - how many of you will nudge stuck ships (assuming a reasonable situation, not crossing the map, out of play, to help a shrieking player) given teh need?

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,100 battles

BBs have right of way over everyone. Cruisers over DDs. However, I've been known to use BBs to bounce my DD off of for a quick direction change. Or to eat torps... just kidding!

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,462 posts
3,875 battles
17 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Next question - how many of you will nudge stuck ships (assuming a reasonable situation, not crossing the map, out of play, to help a shrieking player) given teh need?

I've done it before. It's never been a returned courtesy, but it sucks to be stuck so I have no issues helping fix it if the opportunity presents itself.

5 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

BBs have right of way over everyone. Cruisers over DDs. However, I've been known to use BBs to bounce my DD off of for a quick direction change. Or to eat torps... just kidding!

You joke but I have had battleships ram and pin my destroyer to use as a torpedo shield in more occasions than I care to admit.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
398 posts
6,628 battles
57 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

This one sooo much...i mean its kinda funny in a "can you not?" sorta way...but less funny when they use you as spaced armour for incoming torps or BB salvos...

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,859 posts
13,076 battles

When both ships are moving, the more maneuverable ship (i.e., smaller ship) should do their best to avoid a collision.  If one ship is moving and the other ship is static, the moving ship should do its best to avoid a collision.

When a collision occurs, both ships should do their best to detach...understanding this can take a LONG time...especially when two BBs get stuck.

Also, for those DD drivers...don't immediately hit the throttle when hit with a BB.  Quite often the hit will deflect you to one side relatively quickly...throttle to assist the deflection.  I've seen some DDs captains hit the throttle without noticing the deflect angle, only to thrust against the deflection...which can stick the DD to BBs bow for quite a while...and there isn't much the BB captain can do about it.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
898 posts
7,308 battles
35 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Wasn't your particular example ship, (I think I was in Leander or Fiji...)  but I finally, actually had the experince of getting pushed out of my smoke by someone else...

Revenge was had though, I got away, and they caught the torps fired at my smoke.

Nice!

Then there's the "use the other guy as a meat shield".     Sailing in the BB and see torps incoming.  Line up to skirt between them.   Cruiser comes charging across the bow, bumps, and tries to turn.   My BB straightens him out perpendicular to the incoming torps, which clears them nicely from my path.   

Again, the rule of tonnage... I wasn't doing it on purpose, but at my weight?   He's gonna go where I push 'em.   Unfortunately, it was right into a wall of torps.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

I actually had a game last night where two different DDs ran into my 1/4 speed battleship and blocked torps for me. It was very nice of them, even though I'm pretty sure they didn't plan it that way.

[ONE]
Members
571 posts
8,804 battles

"Bumper ships" seems to be the thing to do at spawns, just like bumper tanks in WoT. Bigger tonnage usually gets the other one out of the way. Sometime one can use the other as meat shield for torpedoes.

Edited by dcr66

[SEP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,792 battles

My problem with the BB -> CA -> DD -> method of right of way is that maneuverability is NOT class dependent.

If a Shimakaze and a Warspite rammed, who's at fault? Most people would say the Shima is at fault, but the Warspite has the smaller turning circle (550 vs. 690), while the Shima has the faster rudder. Same goes for a Moskva vs. an Alabama; the Alabama is the more maneuverable ship, but it's still a BB.

Members
18,354 posts
5,238 battles
1 hour ago, Quaffer said:

Most players would not recognize the rules of the road, or right of way if you posted them in the mess. Not even if you wrapped them onto a belaying pin and vigorously applied it to their noggins.

To be fair, if you put 12 random warships from several different nations into an impromptu task force with no overall commander, the captain of each ship (who may or may not be qualified to command a large vessel) has to lay the guns and torpedoes himself, direct AA and secondary guns, man the helm, and operate a telegraph himself to communicate with other ships, you'd probably get similar results....:Smile_teethhappy:

Members
18,354 posts
5,238 battles
43 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

If a Shimakaze and a Warspite rammed, who's at fault? Most people would say the Shima is at fault, but the Warspite has the smaller turning circle (550 vs. 690), while the Shima has the faster rudder.

True, but turning circle is based on a beginning state of full rudder. Starting from a centred rudder, each ship will transcribe a spiral curve before it begins the circle. (longer rudder shift means a flatter/longer curve. You need calculus to figure things exactly, and I can't draw what I mean, but it's possible that the Shima could avoid something the Warspite couldn't.

Members
163 posts
411 battles
16 minutes ago, _V12 said:

Bigger, [then] slower ships have the right of way.

The onus should be on the ship which can evade and avoid the easiest.  But in an anonymous game where both parties are penalized equally, I guess it really doesn't matter.  I thought maybe the AI in the game was smart enough to know who rammed who or at least the ship on the starboard side had the right of way when assessing penalties.

Edited by OldFrog75