Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JXR777

Question about the game environment

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

0
[RGB]
Members
3 posts
4,913 battles

Im a t10 players and only play t10 ships. Recently I asked a question during battles: Is it ok to say f**k to ur teammates who play really poorly and cause a defeat? Someone just became very angry about me after i asked this question and told me I should never do this. The reasons they put are like "In whatever situation, we should never use the the F word. Its not polite". "It s normal that someone plays poorly. They need practice"., or  "it s just a game. dont take it too seriously." (Also i got someone standing behind me).

Personally, my thought is, since this is t10 game, players are responsible to have basic knowledge and know how to play. They may not be very very top players but should be at least average. (Unless someone just buy an game account or hire someone else to research t10. And this is also a problem).  Wows is group game. A defeat caused by u also damages interests(credit income, ex income and game record) of other players playing with u. There were players arguing with me that" this is a group game based on teamwork. No individual can cause a defeat." Then Im really confused what s my responsibility to our loss as a 200k dmg t10 bb bearing tons of dmg, and got two of our t10 dds died at the beginning of the battle, or the cv is a 200 personal rating guy?  Im not a guy who have zero tolerance to new and bad players. It s true that people need time to practice to play better. Then go back to t7, t5, t3. That s where u can practice.  

I think we need to set up requirements based on game record(personal rating; win rate, avg dmg) for playing high tier battles to ensure battle quality. Like players with PR lower than 1000 for long time are banned from t10 games.  

What do u think?

 

The pics are 3 continuous battles I just played.

(Im not a native speaker of English and Im truly sorry for some grammar mistakes)

shot-17.09.22_12.05.57-0125.jpg

shot-17.09.22_12.06.07-0065.jpg

shot-17.09.22_12.06.18-0934.jpg

Edited by Euphoria_7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,787
Members
9,961 posts

:Smile_facepalm:

Elitism solves everything?

This is an FTP game, WG encourages players to rush to top tier, so they can make more money. 

Do you really think they are going to place barriers for that?:Smile_amazed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
492
[LOU1]
Members
3,019 posts
8,125 battles

I think their point is that it is better to encourage someone than call them names.  Either don't say anything or suggest something they could have done instead.  And, the language thing.  Contrary to popular belief, four letter words are not constantly used everywhere.  I encounter more of those words in an evening of WOWS than I hear in a month of my everyday life.  So, not everyone likes to read them in a chat screen.

 

It can also be argued that T10 is a very different environment than T3, T5, or T7.  It can be difficult adjusting to the passive meta of T10 after the more active lower tiers.  The only way to really learn it is to play it.  I finally decided to learn T10 a couple of weeks ago and it is a challenge to hang back.  If I try to push too early, I will usually be all alone. So, it is taking time for me to get a feel for the "right" time to start engaging without feeling like I am hiding or camping.  

 

TL/DR:  If you call someone out in chat, deserving or not, expect to pay a price for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,971
[SYN]
Members
14,448 posts
10,425 battles

positive reinforcement vs. negative some such... yadda yadda yadda

 

I think it's okay to call out someone for playing like a newb, but at least add some constructive criticism to why you thought it was a dumb play.

Like "why the [edited] did you yolo into a Z-52 that has hydro, you dumb [edited]Fletcher?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,268
[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,951 battles

Better read the End User  License  Agreement also known as the EULA

It lists the rules of conduct we must follow while playing the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,119
[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,484 battles

Why do you feel the need to use derisive and abusive language?  If you give me an Egg McMuffin that is undercooked, would you like me to come to the counter and berate you for undercooking my breakfast?  Your manager would ask me to leave, and he'd be right to do so.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,068 posts
5,968 battles

If "the F word" is the only response you have to the performance of players who disappoint you, then I would suggest your vocabulary is more deficient than is the skillset of the people you wish to insult.

 

If the mindset of resorting to "the F word" is the only thought you have to the performance of players who disappoint you, then I would suggest your personality is more deficient than is the skillset of the people you wish to insult.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67
[DOG]
Members
431 posts
5,748 battles

The problem with doing this in chat, particularly with people you don't know, is they don't have visual cues and can't hear your tone of voice to know how to interpret your intent.  Was it good natured ribbing?  Or a deliberate attempt to be insulting?  Especially since most games we are playing are with complete strangers.  I just retired from the army national guard, and when I was at drill with people who've known me for years, some of whom have shared extremely stressful and exhausting situations with me, my vocabulary was a mixture of Andrew Dice Clay, Tony Soprano, and Al Pacino in "Scarface."  But those people knew how to take what I was saying in the spirit I intended, which was basically profanity-as-a-second-language.  They were like family, and knew I meant them no ill will, and at the end of the day we'd all be willing to risk our lives for each other.  But I don't use that sort of language around people who don't know me.

Besides, using lower tier battles as training for tier 9-10 has it's limits.  No matter how good you were in a Kuma, Nurnberg, or Mahan, you can't just directly translate those habits to an environment filled with things like radar and hydro, and BBs and CVs that are maneuverable enough to dodge or just plain outrun torpedoes.  It's a different environment, and it takes some adjustment.  And the only way to get better is to play at those tiers, which will probably involve a fair amount of sucking for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[RGB]
Members
3 posts
4,913 battles
6 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

If "the F word" is the only response you have to the performance of players who disappoint you, then I would suggest your vocabulary is more deficient than is the skillset of the people you wish to insult.

 

If the mindset of resorting to "the F word" is the only thought you have to the performance of players who disappoint you, then I would suggest your personality is more deficient than is the skillset of the people you wish to insult.

Ok. The point of what i said is NOT "saying f**k" itself. It s how should we treat bad players in high tier games. What attitude should we have on them. Forget about "f**k". Let me change the original question to "is it ok to say darn; u suck; u r bad; u r not good; or u should ve played better....."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[RGB]
Members
3 posts
4,913 battles
6 hours ago, zubalkabir said:

The problem with doing this in chat, particularly with people you don't know, is they don't have visual cues and can't hear your tone of voice to know how to interpret your intent.  Was it good natured ribbing?  Or a deliberate attempt to be insulting?  Especially since most games we are playing are with complete strangers.  I just retired from the army national guard, and when I was at drill with people who've known me for years, some of whom have shared extremely stressful and exhausting situations with me, my vocabulary was a mixture of Andrew Dice Clay, Tony Soprano, and Al Pacino in "Scarface."  But those people knew how to take what I was saying in the spirit I intended, which was basically profanity-as-a-second-language.  They were like family, and knew I meant them no ill will, and at the end of the day we'd all be willing to risk our lives for each other.  But I don't use that sort of language around people who don't know me.

Besides, using lower tier battles as training for tier 9-10 has it's limits.  No matter how good you were in a Kuma, Nurnberg, or Mahan, you can't just directly translate those habits to an environment filled with things like radar and hydro, and BBs and CVs that are maneuverable enough to dodge or just plain outrun torpedoes.  It's a different environment, and it takes some adjustment.  And the only way to get better is to play at those tiers, which will probably involve a fair amount of sucking for a while.

First of all, hail to u as an army national guard. :)

Yes what u said is reasonable. I hold the same point that it takes time to be a good players in high tier games. If u just get into t10 battles, it s normal that u suck. But i ve met many players who have totally thousands of battles in t10 ships and still suck. That s not acceptable. And the point of what i said is not "saying f**k" itself. It s not the problem of language using. It s how should we treat long-time bad players in high tier games. What attitude should we have on them. Forget about "f**k". Let me change the original question to "is it ok to say darn; u suck; u r bad; u r not good; or u should ve played better....."

Edited by Euphoria_7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,787
Members
9,961 posts
3 minutes ago, Euphoria_7 said:

First of all, hail to u as an army national guard. :)

Yes what u said is reasonable. I hold the same point that it takes time to be a good players in high tier games. If u just get into t10 battles, it s normal that u suck. But i ve met many players who have totally thousands of battles in t10 ships and still suck. That s not acceptable. And the point of what i said is not "saying f**k" itself. It s not the problem of language using. It s how should we treat long-time bad players in high tier games. What attitude should we have on them. Forget about "f**k". Let me change the original question to "is it ok to say darn; u suck; u r bad; u r not good; or u should ve played better....."

 

Then go find another game? But good luck finding one without all the same issues.

WG is a business, they are here to make money, they con't care that you think only quality players should be able to play top tier, and they certainly aren't going to stop people from spending money, or not learning anything while playing......

 

Your self entitlement is epic...:Smile_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,468 posts
6,162 battles

I have thousands of games yet suck at tier 9 games (I don't have a tier X ship yet - over 100K experience left before I can get to the tier X ship.  Tier 9-10 have a different play style and at some time I will play but it is going to take a bit of time for me to hopefully get gud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67
[DOG]
Members
431 posts
5,748 battles

"...Let me change the original question to "is it ok to say darn; u suck; u r bad; u r not good; or u should ve played better....."

 

Okay, I see what you're saying.  I guess my question would be, "What's the point?"  Maybe to shame them into not playing T10 games anymore?  Might work on some, if they get harangued often enough, but probably not on most.  Also, remember that they are just as likely to end up on the opposing team care of MM, so things will generally even out over time.  I've never investigated what's involved in joining a division, or clan, or whatever the correct term is, but that might be your solution.  If you are playing on the same team with people who are used to working together as a team, you will probably see this less.  Even if some of the people on your team are not good players in the beginning, if they are willing to try to conform to the team's SOP, so that everyone knows what everyone else is expected to do, they can be net contributors. Even if they don't do it well, if they are where they are supposed to be, and at least attempting to play their part, it is easier for the rest of the team to support them.  Honestly, that's one of my problems in random battles.  I'm not quite sure what the rest of the team is going to do, so I have to keep a close eye on the mini-map to make sure my lone DD is not hanging in the wind by itself on one side of the map, while the rest of my team has shifted to the other when I wasn't looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
14 posts
2,147 battles

it's ok to tell people to get better and tell them what they did wrong. 

 

Understand you may be dead wrong on what happened.  You're probably not showing us screenshots of you at the bottom of the list.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25
[LGBTQ]
Members
270 posts

The players of the game deserve respect. If you have to berate someone with language or insults the GO ELSEWHERE. A pretty poor indicator of person when foul language is accepted as the norm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41
[SYN]
Members
245 posts
9,741 battles
On 9/22/2017 at 11:28 AM, Euphoria_7 said:

It s true that people need time to practice to play better. Then go back to t7, t5, t3. That s where u can practice.

Nope - we're gonna practice when and where we want - I'm sure you didn't start out Unicum either ? (and play nice)  I need to play against you to learn to get better - Unicums help with my training daily Sir

 

Edited by chopshop64
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,479 battles

Judgemental thoughts can easily lead to abusive or derogatory chat.  We all make mistakes.  We all need to learn more, and be patient with others.  Yes, higher tier games (9 and 10) would lead us to assume that these are the top players of the game, and with the assumption that know their stuff.  This is also an implied level of leadership and maturity.  So IMO, Tier 9 and 10 players should lead and guide those of us that are not yet up to that level to be better, not to insult or demonize our lower tier level abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×