You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Phoenix_jz

Giulio Cesare - [WiP] Flamu First Impression

77 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,264 posts
2,029 battles

So we've got our first video of Cesare in action! HE is a tad strong...

Nah, I'm just messing with you, here's the flamu video:

My god, does that camo look good...

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
2,548 posts
4,190 battles

Saw Hyf1re playing it last night on Twitch. She seems like a real beauty. Can't wait until she's released.

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,131 battles

Hoping for some nerfs, based on what was shown in the vid.  Otherwise, the power creep is real.

A battleship that has better concealment and dispersion than an Omaha-class cruiser.  Nothing seems awry there. :Smile_hiding:

Alpha Tester
3,466 posts
3,871 battles

"Well armored"

In what world is a ship with 250-210mm belt armor and 130mm upperworks "well armored" even at T5? Also the 24mm turtleback means every ship with 14" guns can pretty much ignore it, even if it weren't only a thin 45 deg turtleback.

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,946 battles

He seems like a concession to constant uptier. I'll say what I said in reddit.

Model the HE shell after the SAP shell as with other ships.

1/4 penetration.

Proper burster charge.

Long fuse so that it goes through thin skinned vessels.

If need be then extend the 120/50 battery range 1-2km to keep cruisers and destroyers from simply rushing up and suicide torping.

The AA and armor looks very  vulnerable. So once people get used to the Giulio Cesare I doubt many will be afraid.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,946 battles
7 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Hoping for some nerfs, based on what was shown in the vid.  Otherwise, the power creep is real.

A battleship that has better concealment and dispersion than an Omaha-class cruiser.  Nothing seems awry there. :Smile_hiding:

There needs to be a global rebalance period. However remember compared to British Sneaky BBotes it is small.

gVvQkpS.png?1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I personally can't wait for the GC. She looks fantastic, plays, well, a little overpowered at the moment, and is my favorite Italian battleship (design wise).

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,755 battles
32 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

"Well armored"

In what world is a ship with 250-210mm belt armor and 130mm upperworks "well armored" even at T5? Also the 24mm turtleback means every ship with 14" guns can pretty much ignore it, even if it weren't only a thin 45 deg turtleback.

I guess flamu means that the ships is well armored in that it has lots of armor coverage area that makes the ship less susceptible to bb shell overmatch penetrations. The same way how Wyoming have thick armor on paper, but takes big hits from any angle into unarmored hull parts. When angled properly I can see this ship being a really tough nut to crack.

Members
712 posts
9,924 battles

It's hilariously short and stubby looking, my first thoughts, hahaha!!

See, I always had this idea that one of the Italian flavors could be naturally fast speed, instead of consumable based speed (like the French currently).  However I don't remember ever reading the Italian Navy having terrific HE shells.

Either way, hope the next Italian ship is a destroyer.  Then we can get some clues about what to expect from the Italians.

[SIM]
Members
2,548 posts
4,190 battles

She doesn't have any magic ammo concessions, she doesn't have any unique consumables, and she'll be uptiered constantly. Just because the New York is floating garbage doesn't mean that the Giulio Cesare needs nerfed. I hope that they leave her more or less intact.

• Cool 2

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,964 posts
1,487 battles
2 hours ago, Aetreus said:

"Well armored"

In Famu's private lie filled hell hole. The fact is he WILL flat out lie about stuff to generate sensational catchphrases he can sling around to get views. It's Flamu 101. You should know this by now. Go rewatch his Groz Preview sometime, the number of times he's screaming about how powerful the hroz AAA is when he's got DP AAA support from other ships and/or friendly fighter cover is so not funny.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,816 posts
10,379 battles

At T5 fun may have a higher premium than efficiency, and as a Scharnhorst driver this looks fun.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,396 posts
5,111 battles
2 hours ago, Big_Spud said:

They really need to buff or just outright replace New York already.

Yep. Also, Omaha weeps.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,264 posts
2,029 battles
3 hours ago, Aetreus said:

"Well armored"

Yeah, the turtleback is pretty much useless... although I'm pretty sure those slopes were supposed to be 40mm? Anyways, while she might have some interest armor quirks, the upper 19mm plating means there's still plenty to overmatch, especially when the engagement range extends out (due to greater arcing of shells). I never expected this ship to be tanky, and while she's got plenty of nice autobounce zones, she's still pretty vulnerable for a BB. The video did show her losing large chunks of HP to salvoes, up to a fifth in one if iirc... Flamu kinda skipped over those, or at least their significance, when he was summing up her strengths and weaknesses.

3 hours ago, Airglide2 said:

It's hilariously short and stubby looking, my first thoughts, hahaha!!

See, I always had this idea that one of the Italian flavors could be naturally fast speed, instead of consumable based speed (like the French currently).  However I don't remember ever reading the Italian Navy having terrific HE shells.

Either way, hope the next Italian ship is a destroyer.  Then we can get some clues about what to expect from the Italians.

Well, their HE was never terrific, at least not in the way it would have to be for WoWs. The battleships, however, didn't have HE. They only had AP and SAP.

[NUWES]
Members
1,665 posts
5,605 battles
4 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I was thinking the same thing, but honestly the bigger problem is Omaha's concealment. They really need to go back and do a comprehensive review of ship concealments and fix the outliers. Some cruisers still have crazy-high concealment values left over from pre-release. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,425 posts
7,736 battles

Im looking foward to this italian BB, hope the first italian BB be a good one, Duca was kinda of a disappointment to me. The way it look now it seems very good, and being a t5 Bb it must be because you will face t7 more than you want to.

Members
642 posts
782 battles

This review has certainly gotten my attention because I have pretty much given up my T5 play due to the tier spread.  Please WG, do not nerf this ships dispersion because of the MM, consider buffing the other T5s to help them play in that MM tier spread. The best positive I heard in this review was the - repeated - statement, "I am having fun". That is the best possible result from WOWS play that WG could ask.

• Cool 1

Members
712 posts
9,924 battles
3 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

I was thinking the same thing, but honestly the bigger problem is Omaha's concealment. They really need to go back and do a comprehensive review of ship concealments and fix the outliers. Some cruisers still have crazy-high concealment values left over from pre-release. 

Hell I'd be up for ANY review on Omaha and/or the New York for that matter.  Save for Flamu's recent "sorta" review on New York, all the CC's haven't posted any video's on these ships in a year.  Be nice to see what they would change on them.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

The ship looks like a cruiser players dream.

• Cool 1

[VVV]
Beta Testers
223 posts
1,916 battles

I'll buy it because it looks marvelous......but being able to hang when bottom tiered as usual in Tier V makes her even better.