You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

If you could go back in time and choose 1 ship to preserve ...

177 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,740 battles

If you could travel back in time and save one ship from the scrapheap (or sinking) to preserve as museum ship, which ship would you choose and why? For this theoretical question any ship that was scrapped, scuttled or sunk by any means counts, and we're ignoring politics.

I think I'd personally go for Yamato. If only because of the history of the name, and the fact that she was the largest and heaviest battleship ever built with the largest guns ever mounted afloat.

• Cool 1

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,148 battles

Big E, her service history was not enough to save her from the scrapyards and having her still afloat as a museum ship to teach the importance of air power and how far naval aviation has come would be a great thing. 

• Cool 9

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,740 battles
1 minute ago, Raptor_alcor said:

Big E

I knew she'd come up, sooner rather than later.

I'm also expecting some mentions of possibly Bismarck or Tirpitz to appear, and people posting whatever US battleship carries the name of the state they were born in / live in.

[SIM]
Members
2,534 posts
4,182 battles

Probably Bismarck or Tirpitz. Both sound as if they were magnificent machines, and while Bismarck is far more historically significant, they both proved to be difficult ships to put down.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

It would be hypocritical of me not to throw out the Big E. Her service is second to none, and not preserving her was a disservice to her IMO.

But if I couldn't, I would throw out either Prinz Eugen, or Nagato.

Japan's last surviving battleship, or the ship that fought Hood.

Edit: I was going off the assumption that the ship survived the war. Tis why I did not mention Yamato or Bismarck.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,148 battles
Just now, Lert said:

I'm also expecting some mentions of possibly Bismarck or Tirpitz to appear, and people posting whatever US battleship carries the name of the state they were born in / live in.

To be fair if it wasn't the E I'd have said the Nagato, she survived WWII without being sunk and was instead brought under water as a revenge testing of nuclear bombs instead of being locked up in a port to show off what the japanese made. 

[SIM]
Members
2,534 posts
4,182 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Hey, at least I'm still predictable! 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles

There are far too many ships with fine histories that ended up on the scrap heap, turned into razor blades, to able to choose one. But the Yamato was such a uniquely spectacular and absurd feat of engineering, and ego, that the OP's own preference would probably win my vote/

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

Nagato, bc it was the first Japanese battleship built by Japan that wasn't horribly flawed in one way or another, not to mention the fact it would have been as easy to preserve as just not putting it at bikini atoll

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,994 posts
5,940 battles

Any of the standard types. There's a rather large gap in preserved design history in terms of super dreadnoughts. The only one left is Texas, and then you jump 30 years to North Carolina.

Best ones I could suggest would be Nevada or West Virginia.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,994 posts
5,940 battles
2 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Nagato, bc it was the first Japanese battleship built by Japan that wasn't horribly flawed in one way or another, not to mention the fact it would have been as easy to preserve as just not putting it at bikini atoll

Nagato still floated and her boilers still ran, but the rest of the ship was trashed even before the bomb tests. Even if they had kept her in Japan, she would have been scrapped for her metal during the post war reconstruction efforts. A fate that Mikasa barely escaped.

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,979 battles

I would say the Yamato as well.

Wonder what legal ramifications might be if you happened to be a Billionaire and wanted to finance a full size replica that was functional with the intent of donating it to the nation of Jaoan as a museum as well as a memorial. 

Hmm especially if it ended up getting built someplace else besides Jaoan and having to sail it to Japan. I must say that would be awesome except I have this funny feeling that Warships may not be the most legal thing in the world to have built by a private citizen.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles
Just now, Big_Spud said:

Nagato still floated and her boilers still ran, but the rest of the ship was trashed even before the bomb tests. Even if they had kept her in Japan, she would have been scrapped for her metal during the post war reconstruction efforts. Even Mikasa barely escaped that fate.

I feel like with a bit of work, her and prinz Eugen could have been easily preserved

[SPTR]
Members
3,478 posts
5,735 battles

Warspite, The Derfllingers because of my WWI dreadnought nostalgia~

and SMS Frederich Karl because of my love for armored cruisers...

If Bismarck became a museum ship it would most certainly be one of the most visited museum ships in the world.

I think having a Myoko-class or a Yugumo-class would be good too, to show how harsh and difficult it is for the Japanese crewmen during WWII, living in tight, hot and humid quarters... 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,688 posts
7,466 battles
12 minutes ago, Lert said:

If you could travel back in time and save one ship from the scrapheap (or sinking) to preserve as museum ship, which ship would you choose and why? For this theoretical question any ship that was scrapped, scuttled or sunk by any means counts, and we're ignoring politics.

I think I'd personally go for Yamato. If only because of the history of the name, and the fact that she was the largest and heaviest battleship ever built with the largest guns ever mounted afloat.

5 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

There are far too many ships with fine histories that ended up on the scrap heap, turned into razor blades, to able to choose one. But the Yamato was such a uniquely spectacular and absurd feat of engineering, and ego, that the OP's own preference would probably win my vote/

4 minutes ago, Drago_Ryder said:

Yamato, Bismarck,or Tirpitz

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I would say the Yamato as well.

2 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Yamato, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Hood would be my choices.

How else are we getting to Iscandar?

:Smile_teethhappy:

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,994 posts
5,940 battles
Just now, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

I feel like with a bit of work, her and prinz Eugen could have been easily preserved

Eugen was in much better shape, she was practically intact. Nagato not so much. It would have taken millions of dollars in 1945 bucks to do anything to restore her, which is money the Japanese just didn't have, and that the US would be unwilling to supply for the preservation of a warship.

Realistically speaking, there were a few Japanese destroyers that could have been preserved though, a whole slew of them were dolled out to China and Russia as reparations. And preserving a destroyer is much more economical than a battleship.

[-K-]
Members
5,270 posts
9,108 battles

RMS Olympic or RMS Aquitania.  Yep, I'm going non-military with this.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,979 battles
5 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Prinz Eugen might be salvageable depenng on how much corrosion has taken place and if the radiation levels have subsided. ( and no it does not always take thousands of years for radiation  to dissipate)