Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
why_u_heff_to_be_mad

What is the tier 10 team/competitive ship meta?

4 comments in this topic

Members
1,936 posts

Hey

So while I'm not currently aiming to do clan battles - I might in the future. So I may as well grind the necessary tier 10s.

I have no idea what the meta is though.  Gearing for US smokes and Hak >Midway. What else?

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,810 battles

Changes to the smoke mechanic are on the horizon, with the primary purpose being to change the high tier / competitive meta. So while the meta now is very smokey, we'll have to wait and see how that changes after the new mechanic drops. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,067 posts
14,462 battles

High Tier Matches (VIII-X) are BB-DD heavy matches.

Gun range, gunpower, accuracy of BBs are at their peak here.  Their secondaries are their strongest.  Their armor is at their best, their staying power at their zenith.  WG has seen fit to introduce BBs with concealment ranges better than most Cruisers in the game.  Conqueror goes down to 11.1km.  NC goes down to 11.8km.  Iowa is down to around 12.something km.  Yamato can go down to 13.something km (scary to think that a set of 460s are prowling around like that).  Monarch goes down to 10.something km.  Lion is around 11km.  Iowa / Missouri / Alabama are in 12km or so detection range.

The DDs are fast, stealthy, and having their most powerful torpedo armament.  In a High Tier Meta defined by powerful long range gunnery, DDs are hidden.  They are the first choice as always for probing, then taking a cap.  People do not like pushing in high tier unless they got a DD ahead to spot possible dangers and early warning against torpedoes.  A Cruiser trying to push ahead gets INSTA-DELETED to port right away with their s--t concealment ranges.  Tier X BBs handle like pigs, and if they overextend, take too long, too slow to turn around while under heavy focus fire.  All this under the extremely lethal, long ranged gunnery of high tier.  The DDs are the only ones that can safely operate in this.  But they still have to worry about catapult aircraft, radar, hydro.

High Tier Cruisers?  You need to be savvy because honestly, many have trouble finding their proper place in High Tiers.  Cruisers are often easy enough to be the first ones DEAD before even the DDs.  The gunnery at these tiers are lethal.  Even "Battleship" Hindenburg can get rekt hard in one BB AP salvo.  They don't have the concealment.  They don't have the armor to withstand punishment.  They're awful Anti-DD platforms.  And as I said earlier, there are some BBs with better concealment ranges than a Cruiser.  What is the Cruiser's place in High Tier?  Discover that, but try not to get 1-shotted by those 4-5 BBs on the enemy team, try not to get outspotted by those handful of DDs stealthier than you so that their BB friends can shoot at you.

The Wild Cards are Carriers.  There are some very strong Tier VIII-X CVs.  If you're Tier X, you're not too worried about the VIII CVs, quite a bit of them have the AA to rip Tier VIII planes apart, easily.  The issue is your half-@ssed AA build, if you can call it that, that shreds VIII planes is not enough to reliably deal with the REAL danger of Tier IX-X CV aircraft.  If you thought, "AFT is enough to wreck planes," that may be true against Enterprise's piddly Tier VII planes, or Shokaku's low HP planes, but that is NOT enough against the sturdier, FASTER planes of Tier IX-X.  That is NOT enough when Taiho, Hakuryu are coming for you with their 3 torpedo bombers bringing air-dropped love letters.  Cross-Drops of 12 torpedo bombers even scares the s--t out of the nimble Destroyers, hiding in smoke may not even be viable depending on the circumstances, as a net of torpedoes can still be dropped into it. 

The caveat to all this power in the Tier IX-X CVs, why I call them Wild Cards to begin with, is simple... They're among the least played ships in the game.  They're powerful a.f., I fear Strike Taiho, Strike Hakuryu to no end.  But nobody plays these ships.  So often, guys go for builds that do not emphasize AA because they feel they don't encounter them enough in these tiers.  And when one DOES show up, well, you better hug that Cruiser (pray that it has Defensive Fire slotted) or USN BB like they were your lovers, or pray your CV has planes available to specifically protect YOU... yes, ONLY YOU THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE MATCH.  Good luck with that.

Sign in to follow this