Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Chaos_EN2

Captain Builds for the Fuso

19 comments in this topic

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,574 battles

I would switch Incoming Shell Alert for Priority Target, to know how many are aiming at you. Other than that,  a good build!

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,289 battles

Personally, I'm not a fan of this setup. It seems to me to have a lot of wasted points. 

I don't use Preventative Maintenance on battleships. Major systems rarely get knocked out and minor systems (AA guns) aren't worth the points. 

I also don't use Incoming Fire Alert on anything. In generally, battleships are too slow to take advantage of the IFA. I use Priority Target. If the number changes to 1 or more, then I turn immediately. 

I don't use High Alert and Basics of Survivability, though I can see the benefit of them. That's to taste in my opinion. I'll add that I don't have a 19 point captain on Fuso and my build would probably include that at 19 points. 
Expert Marksman is important on all battleships. 

The other one that super important on all battleships (and most cruisers) is Adrenaline Rush. Fuso already has some quick reloading guns. 
BFT and AFT... that depends on the build. For a secondary or AA spec ship, then use them. But they don't benefit the main guns and Fuso isn't exactly a major secondary or AA platform anyway. 
I do like Superintendent here, just for the extra heal.

With the prevalence of UK BBs and the new discovery that high caliber HE can be really powerful, I would go with Fire Prevention as my 4-point skill. An interesting discussion could be made for concealment expert, but I don't think anything could help Fuso. 

A case could be made for vigilance as well. 

SO maybe something like this: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000011100010000001010100000019

[RKLES]
Members
7,211 posts
8,988 battles

Actually BFT and AFT are what I use since even if it's not a major AA or Secindary ship compared to some other ships you still need protection so I equip the skills. Mainly for AA reasons since with how long the Fuso is it's a popular CV target and with the increased AA power you can at least take a lot of the sting out of air attacks often times.

[-K-]
Members
5,290 posts
9,108 battles

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010100001000100000119

This would be my generic build for Fuso.  People might scoff at concealment expert on Fuso, but having the ability to go dark and disengage from a bad situation can be the difference from life and death.  The fact that Fuso's base detection range is so poor, you're almost always detected.  This at least gives you an out if you need it.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Actually BFT and AFT are what I use since even if it's not a major AA or Secindary ship compared to some other ships you still need protection so I equip the skills. Mainly for AA reasons since with how long the Fuso is it's a popular CV target and with the increased AA power you can at least take a lot of the sting out of air attacks often times.

1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

This would be my generic build for Fuso.  People might scoff at concealment expert on Fuso, but having the ability to go dark and disengage from a bad situation can be the difference from life and death.  The fact that Fuso's base detection range is so poor, you're almost always detected.  This at least gives you an out if you need it.

Thank you both :cap_like:

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,736 battles

59c512d6e21bb_ScreenShot2017-09-22at09_40_24.thumb.png.add4a5773646acd78884eb3e27831bac.png

Not the best stats, certainly, but just to show that I know what I'm talking about.

For tier 1 skills priority target is certainly a good choice if you are having problem with predicting the enemy push and with map awareness. I personally would like to take preventative maintenance. True, modules don't usually break on Fuso, yet the turrets breaks pretty easily at a close range fight thanks to the thin, long, exposed barbette layout. If you find yourself brawling a lot especially toward late games, preventative maintenance is a good pick.

For tier 2 skills Expert Marksmen is an excellent quality of life perk, makes you a little more dynamic in your plays. I would recommend adrenaline rush since the armor scheme is pretty sound and you shouldn't have a hard time managing your hit points, therefore makes the most out of this skill. 

Superintendent is a pretty obvious choice at tier 3, usually I can find myself making the most out of this skill since I play a bit more cautiously so that I can maintain my impact at late game. 

For tier 4 fire prevention is my ideal pick. You are too detectable anyway for concealment, and you can be seen from space when firing, so I wouldn't bother with it. The only two places that Fuso might got set on fire reliably is the forward and rear conning tower, fire prevention further negates this weakness, making you heck of a hard target for light cruisers.

Honestly you don't need any more skills to excel in Fuso. But for reference, the next 9 points I recommend to invest in skills like Expert Marksmen/Adrenaline rush (whichever you didn't pick the first time), BFT and AFT. Fuso's AA capability is pretty surprising to be honest, and can certainly hold its own against same tier and lower tier aircrafts.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010000011000100100019

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
43 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

59c512d6e21bb_ScreenShot2017-09-22at09_40_24.thumb.png.add4a5773646acd78884eb3e27831bac.png

Not the best stats, certainly, but just to show that I know what I'm talking about.

Better than mine I am sure, and thank you for your input:cap_like:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
3 hours ago, Unabletony said:

3 hours ago, OgreMkV said:

3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

3 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

3 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Captains; I have been looking over the Japanese Battleship for tactics for the Fuso and I found the below, how close is this to your tactics? And would you take a stock Fuso into random? Normally I work a ship up in Co-Op before jumping in random games.

Nothing wrong with sniping at max range. If you have a range advantage and you're hitting targets, keep doing it. But sometimes sniping at range isn't a good idea... maybe you're just missing your shots that day or you just need to help your team out more by putting a bit more pressure on the enemy.

Nothing wrong with aggression either. The Fuso is a mega aggressive ship and you'll monster anything you hit, but you just got to remember that you still have to keep yourself safe. As a battleship you're always going to be taking hits and you want to minimise the chance any of those hits will strike your citadel. Keep an angled profile at all your opponents (i.e. not just the guy you're targeting, but the other guy on your flank 16km away who has a perfect shot at your broadside. The solution? Angle your Fuso so that neither ship has a perfect broadside shot on you. Yes, it's a compromise but it's better than giving someone a clean shot at your citadels. You're going to need to think ahead because you're guns will all be pointed in one direction and you don't want them to take 5 minutes to flip over the other way... so this is the kind of thing you need to think about)

I'd consider 10km to be pretty close range. Why? Because there are cruisers out there that will torpedo you from 8km-10km out. That's why when your guns start ripping up a cruiser they start heading full steam for you... seems suicidal and it is, but they figure if they're going to go down they're going to take you down with them by launching some torps into your side. Don't let them get close: when you see a cruiser running head first towards you to get within 10km of your ship, you need to run away to stop them from getting into torp range and keep shooting. Also from 10km or closer, a cruiser may be able to use AP ammunition to penetrate your hull and citadel you.... from 15km away, they really have to use HE ammunition to hurt you (which can really hurt if they HE spam you but it's damage-over-time and can be repaired.... unlike a citadel hit which cannot be repaired and results in an instant 25%-50% health drop).

5km isn't close, it's kamikaze distance. At 5km your you could potentially ram your target or be rammed. Also at this distance your secondary guns will probably engage (if you've chosen to buff their range). I've fought from 5km and I usually win with my Fuso, but my health takes a massive battering. (It's called being over confident and when you've got 12 guns and you know you can one-shot people, sometimes the blood rushes to the head and you take stupid risks. The smart thing to do would've been to keep my distance and use my superior fire power to dismantle my opponent).

As a Fuso, 16 - 17km is the sweet spot with regards to range. Most cruisers can't really fire beyond 15km and 15km+ the targets aren't too far away and so are easier to hit.... but at 15km targets aren't so close that they can pummel you with torpedoes or mess you up with AP fire. Also American battleships tend to struggle to shoot beyond 15km (check individual stats of each ship), so when you're 16km out you're in a good place. I've consider anything from 18km and above starting to get a bit rangey. And anything above 20km is really long distance sniper shot (which is possible but you usually need your opponent to be presenting a perfect broadside and not changing direction whilst your shells take 14 seconds to sail over there and hit him).

Last piece of advice: The Fuso is a killing machine at Tier 6 and below. Be more careful with enemy battleships which are Tier 7 or higher. The Fuso's 14"inch guns struggle to penetrate the armour of Tier 7 or higher ships... you'll get fewer citadel hits or even find you do minimal damage with a full salvo (crazy but it's happened to me a million times). That's part of the reason why you're struggling against the Tirpitz (Tier 8) and Colorado (Tier 7). You can still damage and kill these ships, no question... but you'll find that your shots won't punch as hard and you'll have to spend a lot more time wearing down these ships. The other reason to be wary of battleships which are Tier 7 or higher is that their guns are bigger than yours... 15"inch or 16"inch... so shell-for-shell they'll hurt you more if they hit you.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,289 battles

That all sounds good to me. 

I really enjoy the Fuso. But you do have to plan your engagement out well in advance. The turret turn rate is poor at best. There are plenty of times when you really just want to engage with 2 turrets while the others move into position. It's not worth showing your broadside to get a 3rd turret into play early. Wait until all 6 are ready to fire before turning. 

I'll generally be willing to take a Fuso vs. a New Mex. 

Stock... eek. But you have to do what you have to do. If you're top tier, you should completely dominate. If you're bottom tier, then you have to stay safe and look for opportunities (that 17km shot against a broadside Fiji is a much better shot than a 12 km shot against a bow on Bismark). 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
1 hour ago, OgreMkV said:

That all sounds good to me. 

I really enjoy the Fuso. But you do have to plan your engagement out well in advance. The turret turn rate is poor at best. There are plenty of times when you really just want to engage with 2 turrets while the others move into position. It's not worth showing your broadside to get a 3rd turret into play early. Wait until all 6 are ready to fire before turning. 

I'll generally be willing to take a Fuso vs. a New Mex. 

Stock... eek. But you have to do what you have to do. If you're top tier, you should completely dominate. If you're bottom tier, then you have to stay safe and look for opportunities (that 17km shot against a broadside Fiji is a much better shot than a 12 km shot against a bow on Bismark). 

Okay thanks for the advice, I will try her stock in random see how times I get sunk:cap_fainting:

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,289 battles
5 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Okay thanks for the advice, I will try her stock in random see how times I get sunk:cap_fainting:

Fortunately, we can only be sunk once per match ;)

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
19 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

Fortunately, we can only be sunk once per match ;)

LoL you have not seen me play:Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,117 posts
14,519 battles
15 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

I looking for Captain builds for the Fuso here is one from Shipcomrade, what do you think of them and what would you use for the Fuso.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100001010100000100011000000100019?sid=4288624336

I disagree with that.

First and foremost, Fuso secondaries and AA are pretty terrible.  Another thing is you do NOT want to be in knife fighting / secondaries range to begin with, you'll get pulverized in Fuso.  I would slightly heavily tweak that.  For 19pts, I would go with this on Fuso:

PM or PT - Helps keep modules up.  PT to let you know how many people are targeting you and when it's time to reign yourself in.

EM & AR - Improve turret traverse and reload time as your HP goes down.

SI & Vigilance - Improve your consumables count.  Important because you'll draw a lot of fire as a BB.  Vigilance to help on torpedo warnings.

FP & CE - I said you'll draw a lot of fire.  HE shells and Fires will be a big part in that and FP helps tremendously.  Another fact is that Fuso plays in a tier with lots of spammy CLs shooting nothing but HE.  FP goes a long way for this.  CE?  Very important to reduce Fuso's abysmal detection range.  Combine CE with camo to reduce her detection range. 

With CE & Camo, her detection range is bad still at 15.8km.

With no CE but with camo, her detection range is 18.3km!

With no CE, no camo, it's 18.9km!

That's awful!  Without a Concealment Build, Fuso is spotted across the map.  What this means is you'll be the first a$$hole spotted halfway across the map at the start of the match.  Then EVERYONE is already shooting at you at long range.  Some of those guys will actually hit, and next thing you know, you're taking damage before you're even in ideal gun range, before you even get to the fighting position you wanted!  Another thing that terrible concealment range for a BB means is that it becomes much, MUCH harder to disengage and go back into concealment, so that people just stop shooting at you and you do repairs, get your consumables back off cooldown, and get back into the fight.  With 18km detection range, this is all but impossible!  This is the reason why I even improved my Yamato's detection range.  It's annoying a.f. to get hit from everyone at long range because you're the only thing they see!

IMO, Battleships are the ships that stand to gain the most from improved concealment.

Fuso's AA and secondaries are terrible, fawgetaboutit.  It's like putting lipstick on a goat.  It's still a f--king goat no matter what expensive brand of lipstick you put on.  Focus on improving Fuso's concealment and survival ability.  Let her guns do the talking.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's annoying a.f. to get hit from everyone at long range because you're the only thing they see!

This I am beginning to see, I tried Fuso last night in a Co-Op (she is still stock) at one point I had an Bot Amagi and the Bot Fuso both on me. Then two Bot Cruisers joined in you can guess what happen from there.

So I am seriously thinking about using CE, and I will Co-Oping with her for a bit to get the feel for her.

And Haze, thanks for the advice.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,117 posts
14,519 battles
16 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

This I am beginning to see, I tried Fuso last night in a Co-Op (she is still stock) at one point I had an Bot Amagi and the Bot Fuso both on me. Then two Bot Cruisers joined in you can guess what happen from there.

So I am seriously thinking about using CE, and I will Co-Oping with her for a bit to get the feel for her.

And Haze, thanks for the advice.

As I said, good concealment is one of the greatest improvements any Battleship can get.  Your life gets sooooo much better.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if you play the range game right for your engagement, with proper concealment builds, you can go back into stealth in between salvos.  This is much easier to do with USN & RN BBs that are stealthier, but can be done with IJN, albeit harder with their worse concealment.

BB reload times are long enough that it's easy to go back into concealment.  You fire at just over your max detection range.  While you wait to reload, you go back into stealth.  While back in stealth, you can assess if you should stay where you're at and fire again, or need to reposition.  If good to go to fire, then fire again.  If need to reposition because suddenly way too many people are shooting at you, then stay in stealth and turn around while in stealth.  Far safer to flash that broadside while in stealth, than being detected and people actively trying to citadel you.

Again, it will be harder to do this with Fuso's abysmal 15.8km detection range even in Full Stealth Build.  But consider it for later IJN BBs.  For example, Yamato in Stealth Build is down to around 13.4km or so... For something mounting 460mm guns, that is scary to think it's lurking around.  Again, USN & RN BBs are the best in Stealth Builds.  If you try those lines later, it's definitely a very good route to think about.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,391 posts
5,086 battles

There are lots of good builds in this thread. This is my standard IJN BB build (that isn't Mutsu/Ishizuchi/Kawachi). It is "sub-optimal," I know that, but it is interesting:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010100010000100100019

If you want to play optimally, just go full survival, like most of those suggested above (with minor differences here and there). This would be my personal survival build if I wanted to do it on Fuso:

I don't use superintendent on my actual survival build captain (the one I use on Mutsu/Ishizuchi/Kawachi), but that is a very personal choice on my part. I rarely, if ever, need 5 heals when using Japanese battleships/battle cruisers:
http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0110000001100010100000000100000119

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
9 hours ago, AdmiralPiett said:

There are lots of good builds in this thread. This is my standard IJN BB build (that isn't Mutsu/Ishizuchi/Kawachi). It is "sub-optimal," I know that, but it is interesting:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010100010000100100019

If you want to play optimally, just go full survival, like most of those suggested above (with minor differences here and there). This would be my personal survival build if I wanted to do it on Fuso:

I don't use superintendent on my actual survival build captain (the one I use on Mutsu/Ishizuchi/Kawachi), but that is a very personal choice on my part. I rarely, if ever, need 5 heals when using Japanese battleships/battle cruisers:
http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0110000001100010100000000100000119

14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

As I said, good concealment is one of the greatest improvements any Battleship can get.  Your life gets sooooo much better.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if you play the range game right for your engagement, with proper concealment builds, you can go back into stealth in between salvos.  This is much easier to do with USN & RN BBs that are stealthier, but can be done with IJN, albeit harder with their worse concealment.

BB reload times are long enough that it's easy to go back into concealment.  You fire at just over your max detection range.  While you wait to reload, you go back into stealth.  While back in stealth, you can assess if you should stay where you're at and fire again, or need to reposition.  If good to go to fire, then fire again.  If need to reposition because suddenly way too many people are shooting at you, then stay in stealth and turn around while in stealth.  Far safer to flash that broadside while in stealth, than being detected and people actively trying to citadel you.

Again, it will be harder to do this with Fuso's abysmal 15.8km detection range even in Full Stealth Build.  But consider it for later IJN BBs.  For example, Yamato in Stealth Build is down to around 13.4km or so... For something mounting 460mm guns, that is scary to think it's lurking around.  Again, USN & RN BBs are the best in Stealth Builds.  If you try those lines later, it's definitely a very good route to think about.

Okay thank you both.

Sign in to follow this