Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Spud_butt

i'm failing in WoWs, big time.

13 comments in this topic

[-TAB-]
Members
1,605 posts
5,168 battles

some of you may be aware I've been trying to improve my gameplay, and the easiest way for me to track this is via stats. I was using stats as in indicator of improvement, and very little else. anyway, over the last three months, pulled up all stats significantly, got rid of red stats in every category in the WT signature, and more importantly, FELT like I was improving. survival was going way up. discovered the IJN CA line, and thru the ibuki, played well in her. solid win rate (55%+) decent damage, sank above average damage, and was enjoying the atago, and schorrs as well.

felt like map and battle awareness was improving radically, and more times than not, could put myself in the right place to defend, or exploit the red team weaknesses. carried a couple battles a week, and started to really enjoy the game. even better, on those all too rare times when I found myself 1 on 1, won most of them and even started taking down some ships when 1 vs 2. a couple times, in the zao, pulled 4+ red ships completely out of the battle chasing me while I kited, and usually sank a BB before they got me.

a week ago Thursday, the roof fell in. starting on that day, my win rate plummeted to less than 30%, average damage, kills, survival, and even main battery hit rate has dropped to about 1/2 of what it was prior. sadly, these poor results are typically placing me in the top 3 of the green team. a couple times I have placed at the top of the team with damage under 20k, no kills, no plane kills, no capping, pretty much no anything (zao, T10), and this is not the only ship I play.

one of the most disgusting experiences in my lifetime gaming experience has been starting the izumo grind. typically when I start a new ship, the first 5-10 battles are pretty lame. was 11 battles into the izumo before the first kill, and on the 13th before the first victory. the rest of the stats are equally bad. this is not the only ship I play. been having like experiences with my kurfurst, schorr, hipper, and fletcher, even ishizuchi.

took a look at shipcomrade, as their ranking methods actually make sense. of nearly 10k players in NA, I rank in the lowest 15% in every measurement parameter they have, excepting average damage. I try to pad damage in the obvious slaughter losses. i'm just barely good enuff to pull that off to make it into the middle ranks. I looked up my rank for over 1k battles. there are very few players worse than me still playing. 

this feels horrible. the last week I have been able to do nothing to positively effect my battle results. everything I started to do effectively to bring my play, results and stats up has failed, sometimes laughably so if it wasn't so embarrassing.

at a complete loss at this time.

of 7911 player
not_acceptable
Updated: 9/22/2017 3:14:54 AM EST
Min Battles: 151025501002005001K5K

this is at the middle of the bottom 10% of the players. not feeling I can play well enuff to contribute much of anything positive to the game. if you feel troll comments, gifs, sarcasm, whatever, will actually help to make the game better, have at it. WG seems to support this. maybe i'm exactly the sort of deluded crappy player that needs to quit in order for the rest of you enjoy the game more.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,103 battles

Or say :etc_swear: it, I will get better. Maybe it's less that you need to quit playing and more just need to not play Izumo or some other higher tier ships. Maybe your just not ready for as some would call it the "big leagues" yet, and you know what? That's fine. Maybe it takes you 100 more battles to get there. Maybe 1000. Maybe it's not till you hit 10k battles that you finally amass the skills and knowledge to play with the big boys. Not everyone learns at the same rate or the same way. Hell, while I actually on some ships have decent stats, be it Warships Today or this Ship Comrade, my win rate even using them is a bloody roller coaster. Long time ago I was in the 51% range or close to it, went on a massive slide, with periods of win after win suddenly caving out. Because even in matches where I got a kraken, clear sky, and dealt 150k+ damage without touching manual drops, I couldn't carry the other 11 players. Wins happen, losses happen, doesn't always equal out. 11 bad matches at the start of a grind, happens, hell, I can't buy a win in Bismarck. I'm getting better in it, still lose, still have bad matches, but hey, tier 8 is about the max where my skill level is and I end up bottom tiered a lot, which my play style does not agree being up tiered by them all the time. 

Spend some time in tier 6, maybe play the other ships occasionally for fun/missions/whatever. Once you feel you've improved enough at 6, go to 7, wash, rinse, repeat.

With the more important question being, are you having fun, stats aside? If yes, keep playing, anyone want's to be an elitist jerk to put it nicely about your stats and skills - they can sod off. Not everyone is amazing at this game. Some people take longer to learn, some people will just never be on their level, and for every one of them that want's to say "stats eventually even out so your trash if you can't get to 50% WR" - well, mathematically speaking, with their glorious 60% winrate - someone has to lose. Not every team in the NFL can go 16-0, not every baseball team can win every game, not ever race has all 40 cars win. They can be every bit as good as the blueberry mocking them in the long run, but they just end up on the losing TEAM. 

You want to play the game, play the game. Anyone crying about bad players ruining the game for them to a point that they should all leave the game is, or is behaving like, a spoiled and entitled child, and if they are half as good as they think they are usually, they should be able to overcome it anyway. Usually, you learn more from losses than successes, and sometimes to move forward in learning, you have to go back. Take some time in tier 6-7 maybe, play there, fewer elite's to give you crap and maybe more players closer to your skill range and knowledge to go against.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,146 battles

Mix up your grind with a match or two in a ship you like. All of us fail, only those who give up fail permanently.  I am maybe 45%. I grind through it, and set my sights on the goal and get there, because a slow walk in a straight line towards that goal will always get there. 

I know. Been at this only from early May. Finished the Bismarck campaign, Science of Victory, got the my Shinonome, Montana, Yamato (worth every second of the grind), Gearing, Missouri, Nelson, Conqueror. 3K plus and still learning. Gonna get my Yamamoto captain and have enough elite xp to make a second 19pt commander out of him on the day.

I am 45% because it takes time for me to figure things out, but I've managed a lot of worthwhile goals because I allow myself to learn anyway. And I am cool to let others of better talent do their thing because it's great to watch someone who is a great player shine.

I look forward to hearing how you decide to trick out your Yammie when the present grind is over!

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,525 posts
903 battles

It sounds like you may be falling into the "Stat Trap" and playing the game for your stats and not for the fun of the game. Once you get too far down that path, it's extremely hard to come back. I get it, we are human and we compare ourselves to others every day. Once it becomes a chore, it's no longer a game....

[LOU1]
Members
3,034 posts
8,128 battles

One of the tricks about stats is that they reflect how you play over time.  Trying to manipulate them by watching them all the time tends to just pull them down.  If you are a 50% player, you will loose half of your battles as long as you just keep playing the same way you have been.  That means a winning streak will be followed by a loosing streak at some point.  If you are gradually improving your skills, there will be the same swings.  Oddly, I have found that WR and WTR can often be opposite.  Some of my high WR ships have low damage, for instance.  It seems to me that ships in which I can disrupt/delay/distract the enemy can generate more wins than trying to pound them to death.  When I feel in a slump, I grab one of those ships and try to go out and cause trouble for the enemy. Breaks up the monotony of a grind or stat climb.  And, it is fun to go find an enemy push and break it up or get the enemy to obsess about killing you.

That is where the "play to have fun" part should kick in.  If you know your skills are improving, just keep on going.  The numbers will take of themselves.  If you are one to look at stat signatures, you may seem some blue and purple players have a red day, or week on occasion.  In my case, the issue is main battery hit rate; it definitely needs to improve.  When i focus on it and drop into PvE to work on it, my overall performance goes up.  I am still at the point where my overall damage drops if I loose sight of getting hits in.  I notice that happens when I start worrying about the pretty colors.

Relax, pick a stat to work on and just keep playing.  Let the numbers take care of themselves.  Oh, and have fun - this is a game...

[O_O]
Members
4,408 posts
9,548 battles

I was going to say a few things, but they were all covered above.

Play to have fun, man.  Let the stats do what they will.  Look at them as an interesting thing, but don't fret over them.

I play to win, that is my fun.  If I lose, but score well on the team, that is good enough.  Unfortunately, that can't always happen.  I make mistakes (frequently), and sometimes a sneaky destroyer will get the drop on me or a distant battleship will land an early and devastating strike.  That will happen from time to time.

If your progress is really bothering you, honestly analyze each bad performance.  What did you do wrong?  What could you have done different?  Are you on the front line too frequently? 

The stock Izumo grind isn't a good one.  The ship does get better when upgraded.  I am having similar frustrations with the Baltimore.  I am just getting deleted nearly every game, and having a hard time getting her out of stock trim.  I didn't seem to have these problems with Pensacola or New Orleans.  I am also playing Roon (another T9) and not having near the same issues.  I am having great games with her and nearly have her fully upgraded.

Sometimes ship happens.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

Ouch, that doesn't look so great, we all have our bad days, or weeks, or even years, but eventually it will get better, go to a new cycle of trial and error, if your stats rise but not with your win rate, that's great, bad MM or just bad luck (like my Yorck, do great, like 100k great, a lot of the time, with a measly 38% win rate). Don't worry about your WTR tanking, practice in training room if you have too, or play different ships, or take a break from the game, like I did (fine, not for over a year), and come back with a clear conscience, and remember, a game was created for the audience to have fun, I didn't know WTR existed until I saw a video saying it was bad, which was at about PVP battles 900. If the game isn't giving you enjoyment, then do something else, and play occasionally until it does (FYI, Izumo is Yamato without the 18.1 inch guns that say f-ck armor, and a second armored plate beneath the first, or the accuracy).

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,799 posts
7,039 battles
On 22/09/2017 at 10:18 AM, not_acceptable said:
if you feel troll comments, gifs, sarcasm, whatever, will actually help to make the game better, have at it. WG seems to support this. maybe i'm exactly the sort of deluded crappy player that needs to quit in order for the rest of you enjoy the game more.

You are deserving of respect for raising this matter. Unfortunately, WOWS NA forum is the very worst place to discuss this. :Smile_sad:

a week ago Thursday, the roof fell in. starting on that day, my win rate plummeted to less than 30%

Many of us had a terrible time last week, just like you. I think my weekly average WR went from 60%+ in the first weeks of September to 15-30% last week! It was excruciatingly painful.

On 22/09/2017 at 0:34 PM, Sampsonite said:

It sounds like you may be falling into the "Stat Trap" and playing the game for your stats and not for the fun of the game.

Wise words, but come on, a sense of making progress, of winning, is also  a major part of the enjoyment of any hobby, whether model trains, barbie dolls, basketball or WOWS/.

On 22/09/2017 at 10:18 AM, not_acceptable said:

took a look at shipcomrade, as their ranking methods actually make sense.

Don't look at the rankings, they are bad news for anyone who gets hooked on them. Instead use the specific details relating only to you, and compare yourself realistically, to yourself. (I compare bleary eyed morning me to evening nervous wreck after a litre of coffee)

Divisions can help but if you feel really low, sometimes they are a turn off too. On the other hand, yesterday I was in a division that went well, after the first couple of matches where, to be short, I was carried... Certainly boosted morale! Also I have dropped back a tier or two from last week, spending quality time in the t7 MM band instead of pushing up into t9&10.:Smile_playing:

Anyway, I look forward to catching up in game :)

Beta Testers
1,327 posts
3,591 battles
On 9/22/2017 at 3:18 AM, not_acceptable said:

some of you may be aware I've been trying to improve my gameplay, and the easiest way for me to track this is via stats. I was using stats as in indicator of improvement, and very little else. anyway, over the last three months, pulled up all stats significantly, got rid of red stats in every category in the WT signature, and more importantly, FELT like I was improving. survival was going way up. discovered the IJN CA line, and thru the ibuki, played well in her. solid win rate (55%+) decent damage, sank above average damage, and was enjoying the atago, and schorrs as well.

felt like map and battle awareness was improving radically, and more times than not, could put myself in the right place to defend, or exploit the red team weaknesses. carried a couple battles a week, and started to really enjoy the game. even better, on those all too rare times when I found myself 1 on 1, won most of them and even started taking down some ships when 1 vs 2. a couple times, in the zao, pulled 4+ red ships completely out of the battle chasing me while I kited, and usually sank a BB before they got me.

a week ago Thursday, the roof fell in. starting on that day, my win rate plummeted to less than 30%, average damage, kills, survival, and even main battery hit rate has dropped to about 1/2 of what it was prior. sadly, these poor results are typically placing me in the top 3 of the green team. a couple times I have placed at the top of the team with damage under 20k, no kills, no plane kills, no capping, pretty much no anything (zao, T10), and this is not the only ship I play.

one of the most disgusting experiences in my lifetime gaming experience has been starting the izumo grind. typically when I start a new ship, the first 5-10 battles are pretty lame. was 11 battles into the izumo before the first kill, and on the 13th before the first victory. the rest of the stats are equally bad. this is not the only ship I play. been having like experiences with my kurfurst, schorr, hipper, and fletcher, even ishizuchi.

took a look at shipcomrade, as their ranking methods actually make sense. of nearly 10k players in NA, I rank in the lowest 15% in every measurement parameter they have, excepting average damage. I try to pad damage in the obvious slaughter losses. i'm just barely good enuff to pull that off to make it into the middle ranks. I looked up my rank for over 1k battles. there are very few players worse than me still playing. 

this feels horrible. the last week I have been able to do nothing to positively effect my battle results. everything I started to do effectively to bring my play, results and stats up has failed, sometimes laughably so if it wasn't so embarrassing.

at a complete loss at this time.

of 7911 player
not_acceptable
Updated: 9/22/2017 3:14:54 AM EST
Min Battles: 151025501002005001K5K

this is at the middle of the bottom 10% of the players. not feeling I can play well enuff to contribute much of anything positive to the game. if you feel troll comments, gifs, sarcasm, whatever, will actually help to make the game better, have at it. WG seems to support this. maybe i'm exactly the sort of deluded crappy player that needs to quit in order for the rest of you enjoy the game more.

I may not have gotten to tier 9 like you have in any of the wargaming titles, however in world of tanks I did manage to get 4 tier 8s non prem. I would say that I rushed up the various lines I was playing instead of taking my time learning the ropes. I have 7776 battles over there last i checked and I still won't be going any higher up till I gain more skill. In world of warships thank god for the cv rework I am staying at tier 6 till I learn more of the ropes. I am testing out tier 8 with the atago in coop not planning on any more tier 8 ships. Biggest peice of advice I guess is this it is just a game and it should feel fun to you. If it doesn't feel as fun as it used than maybe it is time to take a break. Play at a tier which you feel comfortable and try to have fun. That's all for now

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,971 battles

Yeah it's common for stats to suffer if you are playing fir free since you have to do the work of getting ships upgraded and getting upgraded Captains on your own instead of skipping up to fully upgraded ships and Captains.

[PEACH]
Beta Testers
396 posts
9,174 battles
On 9/27/2017 at 5:40 PM, GreyFox78659 said:

Just have fun improving will come on it's own. 

Speaking of which, when are you going to start improving? faf902fd4703d7b8d0795ddb0044fb66_480.jpg.9684b3be545a6000d928f932b0e22f9e.jpg

Sign in to follow this