You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Some theorizing about the pink penalty duration

25 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
18,927 posts
12,454 battles

So earlier today this happened to me:

Spoiler

fnpXbvp.jpg

In short, I got pink. Was my own fault, lit a friendly on fire, he burned for 27k dmg, I turned pink and received 14k in reflected damage.

Now where it gets interesting, is that I was given a 10 game pink penalty, as you can see in the screenshot in the spoiler.

But it only took 6 games to work off. Not 10.

So I got to thinking. Obviously, the amount of games is just an estimation, and there's another factor in how long it takes to work off a pink. Is it damage, perhaps?

In the game I turned pink, I did 27k team damage with my Kutuzov in a game where I only did 25k damage to the enemy. It wasn't a very good game by any means of the imagination. We won, but the 14k in reflected teamdamage really hurt me, and I just couldn't get the damage out to make it a good game.

However, after that I played my Kutuzov again, did 80k damage, and saw my penalty go down from 10 games to 8.

The game after that I played my Kutuzov again, did 90k+ damage, and saw my penalty go down from 8 games to 6.

After that I switched things up, started playing other ships, and had a few good, high damage games. It only took 6 games total to get rid of my pink status.

Is the damage you do during the game that turns you pink a factor? Do you have to do an X amount of times as much damage to get rid of the pink as you did in the game that turned you pink? Is the damage you do in the games after you turned pink a factor in getting rid of it faster?

I honestly don't know.

The second interesting thing was, I was always under the impression that any game in which you do teamdamage while pink gets ignored in the counting and / or extends the pink period. But in my last game pink this happened:

Spoiler

VF4AAEd.jpg

... but the pink went away anyways:

Spoiler

DPEJCs2.jpg

So, is the conventional wisdom that any teamdamage, including ramming a friendly, extends the pink period wrong?

Food for thought / discussion?

<edit> All my games were in randoms / PvP, btw.

[DARTH]
Members
532 posts
11,374 battles

I suspect that it was changed at some point to be a little more kind, because people were intentionally bumping pink players to keep them ... in the pink.  Also, I think that the algorithm takes into account damage done to the enemy as a mitigation.  That is, when pink, damage to green will (potentially) prolong your pinkness, but damage done to red, especially lots of damage will hasten its removal.

Source: Was pink recently, experiences were similar, getting un-pink didn't take nearly as long as I'd suspected, in spite of the occasional rubbin's racin'.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts

IDK. I just played 2 games where I TK'd some DD in my Maas because he was going reverse we were close together I shot both tubes at a BB and he suddenly hit full throttle forward and apparently had propulsion mod and instantly ate 7 of my 8 torps.

I joined another game in my Shima cause I died soon after that but the game wasn't over yet and did ~135K damage with several kills and some caps where the pink hadn't hit yet but when I came out with the Shima it said TK penalty. I don't know if the Shima game counted towards working down the pink or not. In my experience, with Shima being my most played ship, if you play anything with torps you WILL eventually TK someone no matter how hard you try not to. Potatoes falling out of the sack hit the ground at random and predicting their movements is difficult.

I have also noticed a recent trend of people apologizing for nothing like barely touching tips which seems pointless to me but is better than the intentional TK's which I (rarely) see.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles

I'm thinking that may be the case... As well as the accumulated total of team damage over the last number of games...

Co-op is notorious for being a place to collect team damage. I haven't had a teamkill in Randoms for more than a year; all of my most recent have been in Co-op; recorded while trying to 'help' idiots bots against Reds, (usually in a CV.)

I've had the normal 5-game penalty for a hard kill; but then done piddlin damage over many games before a soft kill of an already damaged ship, where I wound up with a 10-game penaty for a kill that was actually score with a minimum of damage...

That led to what you seem to be saying Lert... Going out and hammering the bots for heavy damage, and the penalty went down more than one game.

Using differnt ships may also help; though I'm less certain of that.

[WOLF5]
Members
439 posts
18,256 battles

Just out of curiosity, was the 534 damage done late in the game. I'm suspecting since it was your last game, the penalty was lifted once you "played" enough and the damage occurred after that threshold since that seems more like a he shot damage not ramming damage. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,927 posts
12,454 battles
51 minutes ago, h9k_a said:

Just out of curiosity, was the 534 damage done late in the game.

Mid-game-ish. I'd done about 40k of damage to the bad guys by then. However, I don't think I'd already worked off the pink as it was me t-boning a friendly DD what caused the teamdamage and I got some of it reflected back to me as you can see.

On second thought, it's very interesting that I did slightly more teamdamage that ram than I got reflected back to me.

On third thought, that's a lot of damage for a ram; usually friendly ramming does only double digit damage. It wasn't a HE shot, I was a BB and 1) firing AP and 2) It would've done more damage if it'd been a shell hit.

See the below post for the most likely explanation.

[WOLF5]
Members
439 posts
18,256 battles
15 minutes ago, Lert said:

Mid-game-ish. I'd done about 40k of damage to the bad guys by then. However, I don't think I'd already worked off the pink as it was me t-boning a friendly DD what caused the teamdamage and I got some of it reflected back to me as you can see.

You got 546 total team damage of which 534 was penalty.  Since you only got 2 damage for ramming, I don't think that's all from a ram since it reflects whatever the original damage was without any multipliers.  If it was all from a ram, that's an awfully long time you spent with a hood ornament and I'd expect to see more ram damage on your totals. 534 sounds like an ap over pen. I'm guessing the 8 hp was from the ram and you nicked his superstructure with ap since you only shot ap.  

Also 40k should have been enough for the last game to clear the thresholds. 

Edited by h9k_a

[HINON]
Supertester
18,927 posts
12,454 battles
1 minute ago, h9k_a said:

You got 546 total team damage of which 534 was penalty.  Since you only got 2 damage for ramming, I don't think that's all from a ram since it reflects whatever the original damage was without any multipliers.  If it was all from a ram, that's an awfully long time you spent with a hood ornament and I'd expect to see more ram damage on your totals. 534 sounds like an ap over pen. I'm guessing the 8 hp was from the ram and you nicked his superstructure with ap since you only shot ap.  

Also 40k should have been enough for the last game to clear the thresholds. 

Possibly, possibly.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,165 posts
8,772 battles

They may have removed the any team damage rule or  theory time, because you were basically on a tear you may have already un-pinked yourself.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Reveal hidden contents

fnpXbvp.jpg

In short, I got pink. Was my own fault, lit a friendly on fire, he burned for 27k dmg, I turned pink and received 14k in reflected damage.

Now where it gets interesting, is that I was given a 10 game pink penalty, as you can see in the screenshot in the spoiler.

So I got to thinking. Obviously, the amount of games is just an estimation, and there's another factor in how long it takes to work off a pink. Is it damage, perhaps?

In the game I turned pink, I did 27k team damage with my Kutuzov in a game where I only did 25k damage to the enemy. It wasn't a very good game by any means of the imagination. We won, but the 14k in reflected teamdamage really hurt me, and I just couldn't get the damage out to make it a good game.

However, after that I played my Kutuzov again, did 80k damage, and saw my penalty go down from 10 games to 8.

The game after that I played my Kutuzov again, did 90k+ damage, and saw my penalty go down from 8 games to 6.

After that I switched things up, started playing other ships, and had a few good, high damage games. It only took 6 games total to get rid of my pink status.

Is the damage you do during the game that turns you pink a factor? Do you have to do an X amount of times as much damage to get rid of the pink as you did in the game that turned you pink? Is the damage you do in the games after you turned pink a factor in getting rid of it faster?

I honestly don't know.

The second interesting thing was, I was always under the impression that any game in which you do teamdamage while pink gets ignored in the counting and / or extends the pink period. But in my last game pink this happened:

Reveal hidden contents

VF4AAEd.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

DPEJCs2.jpg

So, is the conventional wisdom that any teamdamage, including ramming a friendly, extends the pink period wrong?

I'd suspect it's exp more so than damage.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,775 posts
12,891 battles

It probably works both ways.  If you just AFK for 10 games, without doing any enemy damage, the pink duration probably extends even longer.  This prevents habitually pink players (aka, those who TK on purpose) from simply AFKing their way out of pinkness.  On the flip side, it helps legit players who do enemy damage during their pinkness to extricate themselves sooner.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Reveal hidden contents

fnpXbvp.jpg

I honestly don't know.

Reveal hidden contents

VF4AAEd.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

DPEJCs2.jpg

I have asked support via ticket when the battle count did not change as expected a while back. They said the game count is an estimate and there is also a damage component as a ratio of damage which they will not divulge, but you can work off the penalty faster by doing more damage.

But I can attest it is a ratio, because the last couple times I loaded up a Hashidate and  Coop and went blazing, and the penalty goes away fast. So it is not raw damage 

[INTEL]
Members
8,430 posts
25,296 battles

It might be a bug. The pink status used to be bugged, and take too long. It would say 5 games but youd be stuck game after game and end up at 13 games. 

So you might have bumped into a favorable bug.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,927 posts
12,454 battles
12 hours ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

there is also a damage component as a ratio of damage which they will not divulge, but you can work off the penalty faster by doing more damage.

Makes sense, I had a string of good, high-damage games after the pinkening.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I  noticed about 1   patches ago that they did ease off on the pink rule.   I don't know if it was bug, but at one time, it took way more than the number of games shown on the result page.       lately, they don't seem to count  incidental dmg or possibly they count your performance .    last time I turned pink was in Iron duke where  I didn't see a omaha ramming me on the side and fired a volley.   hit him with multiple pens and killed him .

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,829 battles
17 hours ago, Lert said:

Reveal hidden contents

fnpXbvp.jpg

I honestly don't know.

Reveal hidden contents

VF4AAEd.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

DPEJCs2.jpg

Same thing happened to me Lert  friendly BB got right beside me while i was zoomed in on a DD firing away and i lit them up for two fires before the warning message appeared in chat.

Sadly my Friendly BB did not understand and just let 2 fires burn until i was almost dead then they decided to put them out. 

So i did not actually kill anyone i just compiled a crapton of friendly damage because of some player who wanted to teach me a lesson for a honest mistake.

Members
543 posts
6,806 battles
17 hours ago, Lert said:

Reveal hidden contents

fnpXbvp.jpg

I honestly don't know.

Reveal hidden contents

VF4AAEd.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

DPEJCs2.jpg

That sounds like a glitch, that number is the minimum number of matches not an estimate.  Or you just didn't following everything you were doing.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,165 posts
8,772 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Chaos_NA said:

That sounds like a glitch, that number is the minimum number of matches not an estimate.  Or you just didn't following everything you were doing.

Glitch or an undocumented change which would explain the higher punishments that have been given out. If this is true at a guess doing very little damage before dying will make it take longer to get clear of being pink.

[PVE]
Members
8,856 posts
7,257 battles

So I'm in the New Mexico and I fired at a red CA with a green (almost dead) cruiser a few km on the other side. One shell went long (1,186 damage) and I sank Marty in co-op. As I fired, my brain went, oops, that was stupid. Completely my fault and I said as much in chat.

In any case, got a 7 game pink. I decided to try Ops Aegis to work off the pink.

First game in a Bayern, did 144k damage and pink went to 5 games from 7. Second game in a Cleveland I did 96k damage and pink went to 4 from 5 games. Not sure why the first was down by 2 and the second down by 1. Weird. Screenshots below and will post more later on each game while I'm pink. 

Spoiler

in6iPvn.jpg

zNkQn8r.jpg

dAX9fpl.jpg

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles

Wows is kinda mute when it comes to divulging exactly what it takes to get pink status other than Sinking a friendly or a certain unknown amount of damage done 

I was just in a game in my Belfast were a friendly CV torped me and then blamed me for turning into his unseen torps as I was busy dodging the enemy Torps anyway we lost but my XP was huge 5200 ... for a loss with 1 ship sunk and about 42000 damage and spent most of it defending our cap??? Didn't play that good

Edited by HMCS_Devilfish

[PVE]
Members
8,856 posts
7,257 battles
5 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

So I'm in the New Mexico and I fired at a red CA with a green (almost dead) cruiser a few km on the other side. One shell went long (1,186 damage) and I sank Marty in co-op. As I fired, my brain went, oops, that was stupid. Completely my fault and I said as much in chat.

In any case, got a 7 game pink. I decided to try Ops Aegis to work off the pink.

First game in a Bayern, did 144k damage and pink went to 5 games from 7. Second game in a Cleveland I did 96k damage and pink went to 4 from 5 games. Not sure why the first was down by 2 and the second down by 1. Weird. Screenshots below and will post more later on each game while I'm pink. 

Reveal hidden contents

in6iPvn.jpg

zNkQn8r.jpg

dAX9fpl.jpg

Here are the last four games in Kongo in co-op to remove the pink. No doubles on penalty removed, but I didn't go over 86k either. I'm not sure what caused that first game to count double. Weird.

Spoiler

1hMGNBV.jpg

1c5NWWq.jpg

7lsD7ew.jpg

oJ6VBFx.jpg

[FF]
Members
76 posts
5,217 battles

I lit a Iowa on fire, I didnt see him right next to me.  He didn't put the fire out I started with hitting him with 6 HE rounds from my Hindenburg.  (Guess he couldn't or was just saving the repair)  I got pink for 23 battles. 

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

I don't understand why you can set teammates on fire at all.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

A guy set my conquerer on fire in his monty, and turned pink immediately after bc he constantly was damaging friendlies. I let the fire burn and that one fire literally killed him with reflected damage.

Members
706 posts

the other day a BB wandered into two of the low power slow torps from my Sims, did a 14k of damage and 15k or so of flooding and shortly after he when boom, there was no pink for me.