You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

6 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
4,546 battles

I am trying to create warship based toons on YouTube in the style of RanZar.  To be clear I am NOT, let me repeat myself, NOT! trying to copy/ripoff/plagiarize RanZar.  I am trying to do for world of warships what he did for world of tanks.

If you have never heard of RanZar here is a link to he YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmSCddOIsO15vJsFaC7fnOg

What I am looking for are Ideas and thoughts people have about the unique appearance/personalities of the veracious toons.  Before you add your thoughs though make sure you have seen RanZar so you have an idea of the feel I am going for.  Also I have lised some of my own ideas for you guys to see what I am thinking of.

General: All ships will have eyes where the bridge is located, and a mouth on the bow, each turret will have their own eye on either side of the turret and a mout below the guns.  The turrets behave as mini characters like the KV-5 radio turret, and foch machine gun turret in RanZar.

Missouri:  the biggest differences in appearance will be exagerated length of the main guns, a sniper scope on the center gun of each turret, an oversized radar dish on top that spins when she uses her radar consumable, and she will have an absurd amount of AA guns.

Atlanta: She will have a flamethrower pack either hanging on her second funnel or replacing her second funnel, when she fires her shots will be flaming catapult fire balls, and she will have a slightly sooty appearance overall.  Her personality is that of a pyromaniac.

Yamato:  Her biggest appearance difference will be exaggeratedly big main guns.  In terms of personality she is aggressive and extremely arrogant.

Tirptiz/Bismark:  These two will be twin sister almost always seen together.  Tirpitz will have a slightly superior attitude towards her sister Bismark, and Bismark will be a bit envious of Tirpitz as well as having a slight inferiority complex.  But they always stick up for each other.

I am of course looking for animators or anyone who has the talent and want to help me bring this dream to life.  If you are such a person please let me know in a reply.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

Slight critique on the Yamato personality...  Yamato nadeshiko is the ideal of the perfect Japanese woman, named for the same region Yamato herself is named for (though Yamato is also an old name for Japan itself). This ideal is pretty much the opposite of arrogant and aggressive. Now, you could play that up for laughs, having Yamato be an extremely opposite of that ideal, or you could have her be that ideal with a more soft spoken, powerful yet gentle and humble personality. 

You could also go for a three step reference in that Nadeshiko Japan is also the name widely used for Japan's national women's soccer team. Maybe if you go with the more aggressive personality, she could yell goal when she blows up her target. 

[HYDRA]
Members
136 posts
1,161 battles
39 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Slight critique on the Yamato personality...  Yamato nadeshiko is the ideal of the perfect Japanese woman, named for the same region Yamato herself is named for (though Yamato is also an old name for Japan itself). This ideal is pretty much the opposite of arrogant and aggressive. Now, you could play that up for laughs, having Yamato be an extremely opposite of that ideal, or you could have her be that ideal with a more soft spoken, powerful yet gentle and humble personality. 

You could also go for a three step reference in that Nadeshiko Japan is also the name widely used for Japan's national women's soccer team. Maybe if you go with the more aggressive personality, she could yell goal when she blows up her target. 

I think he is talking about Yamato captains not the symbolism, after all it's not like the germans made the Maus to be a happy go lucky doofus that chases cheese in real life. Of course the other option is to just make the Yamato only show up in the deep background because that is where most yamatos stay.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,370 posts
7,946 battles

I myself had a similar idea, one of the first I wanted to do was an "age of ultron" parody in that kind of style with the kaze clones.

I unfortunately lack the tools and even with computers being easier my hand is too damaged from multiple injuries to help drawing. However, having taken courses in animation and made them before, ditch the idea of the eyes/mouth for each turret, it's one thing with just the one extra set, on a couple characters. If you put say Bismarck and Tirpitz on screen that's 10 sets of eyes and mouth's. It's really better, at least I think, to think of the ship itself as a single entity, and easier to draw/animate that way. However, as the sort of "side" character/s with each ship could be especially for CV's, the various aircraft. Especially as the BB's would likely use their spotters/fighters a lot.

Also, much as I know generally ships are she's, maybe don't just stick to the one gender as it opens up a little more in creativity and nods, as well as ways to differentiate ships of a class if you want them to be a little different, like say Iowa and Missouri. Iowa could be the female one while Missouri, otherwise known as "Mo" could be male sporting a Moe Howard esque haircut (from the 3 stooges, which Ranzar can at times really be like), but that's your call. 

On the ships you list, I say add the flamethrower to the funnel and just have Atlanta launch balls of fire, possibly patriotic ones. Leave more "catapult" like fireballs to the UK BB line (maybe animate there turrets as catapults/trebuchet's instead), RU ships launching molotov cocktails, the french ones as such flaming baguettes, and the Belfast, just go green fire. Maybe also give the Atlanta some goggles, orange tinted. I also tend to agree with Aegis on Yamato.

As I recall, RanZar's tanks, all kinda fit a national trait, with some exceptions, and then just kinda play with it. Like the UK ships are more, not sure how to phrase it, go with high society types, kinda like the stereotype of British royalty/upper class at their core and then each it's own tweaks from there, with the exceptions being Belfast being more plain and everyday, definitely less formal, more aggressive and stubborn, outspoken. Really kinda the black sheep of the family. Possibly also Edinborough (named for the capital of Scotland, jokes there can write themselves). IJN is more calm, centered, way of the samurai zen kinda personality with each ship having it's own traits, like maybe the DD's are a bit more aggressive and ready to Banzai charge fearlessly to destruction.USN, well, I can see that being just kinda chaotic with maybe being for lack of better words "louder" then the others, maybe all things considered sorta have them and Belfast cut from the same cloth, just a bit different as USN can open itself up to some eccentricities and gags/looks based on things like Texas would almost have to be a cowboy, maybe a hat and beard ala Chuck Norris in "Walker Texas Ranger", fits well with how it can wreck planes at that tier.

But that's just my ideas and take on it, any of it you find good and useful, great. Wish I could help with animation and all, but all things considered about the most I could help with is ideas/writing and maybe if need be putting things together.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
1 hour ago, Herodotus4 said:

I think he is talking about Yamato captains not the symbolism, after all it's not like the germans made the Maus to be a happy go lucky doofus that chases cheese in real life. Of course the other option is to just make the Yamato only show up in the deep background because that is where most yamatos stay.

Pretty sure he's talking about the ship itself being personified. For IJN ships that's really not hard to do since the Japanese sailors tended to earnestly see their ships as closer to living things than just objects, due to their dominant religion seeing spirits in all objects. 

Anyway, maybe he's meaning a personification of the WoWS ship and not the actual ship? I duno, was just offering some insight into Yamato beyond it's got big guns. 

Members
2 posts
4,546 battles

I really like the ideas I am seeing here so far.  WanderingGhost's insights about making the turrets min characters, I am agreeing with more and more as time goes on.  And I love the idea of the Japanese BBs being samurai, though I feel the natural extension of that is to make the Japanese DDs ninjas. wrapped in black cloaks with shurikens on the side of their hulls.  Also I think make the American DDs cowboys would work well, and yes I am definately going to make the USS Texas, Walker Texas Ranger.  The image of a cartoon Texas doing a roundhouse kick cracked me up.

As for the Yamato I don't know anything about Japanese culture, so I was going off the ship in game.  Also I will be doing some history based scripts mainly based on the Pacific but so Atlantic might be there too.  And in those the Yamato will be Yammamoto.  Also as was suggested on the sister thread on WoWs reddit, the Hitler ship will be the T-22.  Although I have no idea what ship should be Hirohito.