You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CrapDuster

Should I quit the IJN dd line?

73 comments in this topic

Members
97 posts
2,875 battles

I have been playing this line for some time now. I was having some fun, but then at tier 7 everything is just really bad. I'm constantly uptiered, have to fight Yugumos and Fletchers, and I'm constantly spotted. My torps are sh*t and everyone sees them super early. Frankly, I'm not willing to be doing this crap for 2 more tiers before getting Shimakaze, which also seems shafted at its tier. So should I just quit a d grind something else? And if so, what should I start grinding? I'm thinking about continuing the IJN cruiser line (have furutaka) or the Russian cruiser line (have svietlana).

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,182 battles
3 minutes ago, CrapDuster said:

I have been playing this line for some time now. I was having some fun, but then at tier 7 everything is just really bad. I'm constantly uptiered, have to fight Yugumos and Fletchers, and I'm constantly spotted. My torps are sh*t and everyone sees them super early. Frankly, I'm not willing to be doing this crap for 2 more tiers before getting Shimakaze, which also seems shafted at its tier. So should I just quit a d grind something else? And if so, what should I start grinding? I'm thinking about continuing the IJN cruiser line (have furutaka) or the Russian cruiser line (have svietlana).

I have a simple solution.

latest?cb=20150519063324

Look no further.

Members
97 posts
2,875 battles
3 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

I have a simple solution.

latest?cb=20150519063324

Look no further.

Watch an anime about little girls carrying 152 mm cannons and skating on the ocean? Tried that, still frustrated.

Edited by CrapDuster
  • Cool 2

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
4 minutes ago, CrapDuster said:

Dont ever do the grind.

Buy kamikaze buy molotov.

Best of any tree ship the end.

Molotov is better than any other russian cruiser be tier 5 6 7 or 8 and gets better maps.

I just spent my sanity grinding to cruiser chappy and its total garbage.

The grind is zero fun and pointless.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,182 battles
2 minutes ago, CrapDuster said:

Watch an anime about little girls carrying 152 mm cannons and skating on the ocean? Tried that, still frustrated.

I mean get the Akizuki.

Members
97 posts
2,875 battles
1 minute ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Dont ever do the grind.

Buy kamikaze buy molotov.

Best of any tree ship the end.

Molotov is better than any other russian cruiser be tier 5 6 7 or 8 and gets better maps.

I just spent my sanity grinding to cruiser chappy and its total garbage.

The grind is zero fun and pointless.

If I was going to buy a premium, I'd wait to buy Kii since I'm familiar with Amagi. But alas, I'm a totally free to play player. I haven't spent a dime on this game. I even had to grind the entirety of the P.O.S. that is Izumo without using free xp.

Members
97 posts
2,875 battles
Just now, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

I mean get the Akizuki.

I'd have to go back to Isokaze and then grind from there to Akizuki. I'm not willing to do that.

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
Just now, CrapDuster said:

If I was going to buy a premium, I'd wait to buy Kii since I'm familiar with Amagi. But alas, I'm a totally free to play player. I haven't spent a dime on this game. I even had to grind the entirety of the P.O.S. that is Izumo without using free xp.

You have no voice to complain at all then why bother me?

If we all played and whined for free the game would be turned off.

• Cool 3

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,139 battles

What are your commanders like?  How many points?  When you get up into those tiers, you really should have good commanders in your ships.

Members
97 posts
2,875 battles
Just now, abyssofthetriffid said:

You have no voice to complain at all then why bother me?

If we all played and whined for free the game would be turned off.

I'm not complaining, I'm just saying I can't buy a premium ship because there's this thing called real life I have to do that requires money for basic necessities. I asked originally which line I can grind.

Members
97 posts
2,875 battles
Just now, Sock5 said:

What are your commanders like?  How many points?  When you get up into those tiers, you really should have good commanders in your ships.

I have a 12 point commander. He has PM, LS, TAE, CE, and TA.

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
Just now, CrapDuster said:

I'm not complaining, I'm just saying I can't buy a premium ship because there's this thing called real life I have to do that requires money for basic necessities. I asked originally which line I can grind.

Ok thats cool but you need to support the game at least a little cash wise have a yard sale and buy a ship i did.

• Cool 1

Members
97 posts
2,875 battles
Just now, abyssofthetriffid said:

Ok thats cool but you need to support the game at least a little cash wise have a yard sale and buy a ship i did.

I'd love to support the game, but right now, I can't make sense of shelving out 40-80 dollars on a premium ship. When I have more money, I'll definitely buy a premium (maybe get free xp for Missouri). I'd also like to point out that I'm also trying to get a tier 8 to use for the honorable service campaign so that I don't have to keep using Yamato.

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
2 minutes ago, CrapDuster said:

I'd love to support the game, but right now, I can't make sense of shelving out 40-80 dollars on a premium ship. When I have more money, I'll definitely buy a premium (maybe get free xp for Missouri). I'd also like to point out that I'm also trying to get a tier 8 to use for the honorable service campaign so that I don't have to keep using Yamato.

Time it right.

You can get what you want for $20 if you time it right.

Yes a $50 ship for $20 if you time it right ive done it myself.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
733 posts
11,973 battles

IMO, if you like torp-boat play, Kagero and Yugumo are going to be more fun for you than Akatsuki. Kagero has torps that are a little faster. And Yugumo, well, it is just a lot of fun. I have had some monster games in Yugumo. But like any torpedo-dependent ship, especially with increasing numbers of radar boats at higher tiers, these ships will often be a case of "feast or famine." Shimakaze is a very nice ship, I think. But at Tier X it is tough to land torpedoes consistently. And pretty much everything else you will face can out-gun you. I guess I am saying that you really have to like playing this style of game to make the climb worthwhile.

I have also had a lot of fun with Soviet DDs, though I have not yet made it to Tier X. I am at Tier IX in both lines and enjoy them. Primarily gunboats, the play style is very different. Though Udaloi can stealth-torp if spec'd for it, which is nice.

I also have up through the Benson in the American DD line. That is also fun. Guns, some might argue not quite as good as the Soviet DDs. And some might argue the torps are not quite as good as the IJN DDs. But I think many people feel that the Fletcher is a monster at Tier IX.

Whatever you decide, I hope you continue to have fun.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
1 minute ago, Amracil said:

IMO, if you like torp-boat play, Kagero and Yugumo are going to be more fun for you than Akatsuki. Kagero has torps that are a little faster. And Yugumo, well, it is just a lot of fun. I have had some monster games in Yugumo. But like any torpedo-dependent ship, especially with increasing numbers of radar boats at higher tiers, these ships will often be a case of "feast or famine." Shimakaze is a very nice ship, I think. But at Tier X it is tough to land torpedoes consistently. And pretty much everything else you will face can out-gun you. I guess I am saying that you really have to like playing this style of game to make the climb worthwhile.

I have also had a lot of fun with Soviet DDs, though I have not yet made it to Tier X. I am at Tier IX in both lines and enjoy them. Primarily gunboats, the play style is very different. Though Udaloi can stealth-torp if spec'd for it, which is nice.

I also have up through the Benson in the American DD line. That is also fun. Guns, some might argue not quite as good as the Soviet DDs. And some might argue the torps are not quite as good as the IJN DDs. But I think many people feel that the Fletcher is a monster at Tier IX.

Respects,

Am

The benson/lo yang is simply awesome.

I actually love fighting the benson.

I will be buying the lo yang one day.

Members
97 posts
2,875 battles
15 minutes ago, Amracil said:

Respects,

Am

I think I'll just do one of the cruiser lines. I like shooting he from long range. What's best for that?

[B2P]
Members
517 posts
13,712 battles

Quite frankly I love my Akatsuki.  Thought I may never go beyond it as a lot of people were saying how bad the IJN DD line gets after tier 7.  But I got the Kagero awhile back and have been enjoying it, with it's 1k better concealment (6.4k to 5.4k, as I recall).

My Akatsuki build differs from yours in two significant ways, which to me make a big difference.  If I were you, I would drop the TA and pick up EM instead.  I feel that TA just reduces your torp range too much, for the debatable benefit of a 5 knot speed bonus.  I tend to use that 8-10k range a lot for my torp hits.  EM made me feel like my Akatsuki is more like a gunboat, when it needs to be.  I threw EM on it as my last captain skill, and was surprised at how much better it made that ship feel.  I will still try to avoid knife fighting, but if there is a 3/4 or less Benson or like ship in my sights, I will take them on and usually win with my guns now.  The rate of fire has always been decent, but the turret rotation was just too slow before.  You can actually maneuver and shoot with EM.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
733 posts
11,973 battles
39 minutes ago, CrapDuster said:

I think I'll just do one of the cruiser lines. I like shooting he from long range. What's best for that?

Some now feel RN BBs are pretty good at that. But Soviet cruisers are generally considered the best for HE spam from longer ranges, I think.

Respects,

Am

Members
1,459 posts
12,365 battles

So many times feel shackled to the grind, sell lower ship to finance higher tier, then deal with stock hull issues.  Know it is the way the game works, but feel like a hamster on a wheel,  striving to move up, grinding until you get to tier 10, then can't play it often due to economic issues, then start on the next one...

Beta Testers
99 posts
2 hours ago, CrapDuster said:

I'd have to go back to Isokaze and then grind from there to Akizuki. I'm not willing to do that.

hmm.  Take a break from them, and try other DD?  Try the Russians, and see if the bias is true?

[RKLES]
Members
7,234 posts
9,038 battles

What about High School Fleet?

By the way don't judge all IJN DDs by that 1 line, I am up to tier 7 in the other line of IJN DDs and doing ok, while they may not be as heavily gunned as other lines their guns are still adequate for when needed and their main armament of toroefies are good. Have not tried that second IJN DD line yet though

[RKLES]
Members
7,234 posts
9,038 battles

By the way don't judge all IJN DDs by that 1 line, I am up to tier 7 in the other line of IJN DDs and doing ok, while they may not be as heavily gunned as other lines their guns are still adequate for when needed and their main armament of toroefies are good. Have not tried that second IJN DD line yet though

[RKLES]
Members
7,234 posts
9,038 battles

Like the Anime a lot and have been disappointed that Harekaze in game is cash only since I had been looking forward to getting one if it had been a Campaign ship.  :(