You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Planetos

DD restrictions on teams

52 comments in this topic

[VENUM]
Members
37 posts
4,332 battles

With the recent admission that smoke is being abused in a way that Wargaming had not intended, i feel there needs to be a serious change made to the MM. this comes from a similar experience that came up in World of Tanks. Artillery used to be able to be deployed with a maximum of 5 per team, this issue was extremely irritating and was changed by WG to remove the boring camp style game-play. 

well unfortunately the camp style game-play is a disease that is infecting WOWS. within the past week i have noticed that Battleships are doing nothing but hiding behind rocks and are not fulfilling their role as the heavy armor on the front line. then i started looking at the team layout on both sides of the team. 90% of my matches this week have had 5 DDs per side. no only is 5 DDs completely unnecessary, but it is completely broken. DDs have smoke that is already being abused, but along side that, we have cruisers that have smoke that are assisting the DDs and it is causing gameplay to become extremely stale and drawn out. yes we know that smoke is broken, but the up coming patch is not going to fix it at all. DDs need to be restricted to a max of 3 per team to reduce the abuse of the broken smoke mechanic. until smoke is no longer a mobile pillbox, DDs need to be put in check.  

• Cool 1

Members
117 posts
6,924 battles

How about a radar equipped ship restriction on teams.....just sayin lol!

Edited by Slyv

[SALVO]
Members
16,627 posts
17,300 battles
17 minutes ago, Planetos said:

With the recent admission that smoke is being abused in a way that Wargaming had not intended, i feel there needs to be a serious change made to the MM. this comes from a similar experience that came up in World of Tanks. Artillery used to be able to be deployed with a maximum of 5 per team, this issue was extremely irritating and was changed by WG to remove the boring camp style game-play. 

well unfortunately the camp style game-play is a disease that is infecting WOWS. within the past week i have noticed that Battleships are doing nothing but hiding behind rocks and are not fulfilling their role as the heavy armor on the front line. then i started looking at the team layout on both sides of the team. 90% of my matches this week have had 5 DDs per side. no only is 5 DDs completely unnecessary, but it is completely broken. DDs have smoke that is already being abused, but along side that, we have cruisers that have smoke that are assisting the DDs and it is causing gameplay to become extremely stale and drawn out. yes we know that smoke is broken, but the up coming patch is not going to fix it at all. DDs need to be restricted to a max of 3 per team to reduce the abuse of the broken smoke mechanic. until smoke is no longer a mobile pillbox, DDs need to be put in check.  

The camping you describe is not the fault of DD's.  It's partially the fault of offensive smoke, and partially the fault of allowing ships to take target spotting from other sources, such as team mates' ships, planes, team mates' radar or hydro, and so on.

If you REALLY want to get rid of the passive play, or at least a big chunk of it, the place to start is to require every ship to self spot its targets.  And make it so that anything a friendly spots only shows up on the minimap.  This would get the job done, for the most part.  What it will not do is change the players who are just plain passive and want to snipe from extreme ranges in their BBs.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
18 minutes ago, Planetos said:

this has been talk and nothing is new about this... but indeed the smoke nerf on cruiser/bb is really needed and radar seem to counter smokers.....

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
13 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

It's going to be funny when the smoke changes hit and everyone still plays passive. 

I wonder what the next scapegoat will be? 

They said the same thing about the Shima back in the day.

It'll always be the DD's fault, no matter what.

Next Ranked season everyone but DDs will be all pissed because of smoke changes as well.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,356 posts
3,564 battles

17 minutes ago, Planetos said:

The search function would allow you to comment on the dozens of other threads talking about this. 

This has already been done before. When IJN DD's got nerfed did passive play decrease? No it increased.

When OWSF was nerfed, did passive play increase or decrease? It increased. 

When Radar was introduced did passive play increase or decrease? It increased. 

When smoke gets nerfed, passive play will increase. 

Passive play will remain as long as guns can 1 shot ships from 15+ KM  away. If anything Destroyers increase aggressive tendencies.

• Cool 7

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
24 minutes ago, Planetos said:

Really because they weren't slammed by the Nerf-hammer already? Right now all I see it this.

wwhIoDu.gif

And i think this.

19420541_233031413875587_386108892009048

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,822 posts
10,755 battles
27 minutes ago, Planetos said:

90% of my matches this week have had 5 DDs per side  

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20170916/na_week/average_class.html

tl;dr: only 22% of ships played were DD. It's quite hard for them to take up 42% of the fleet of almost all your matches. It's possible. But hard.

And when it happens, you are the strongest, toughest ship of all. DEAL WITH IT.

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,647 battles

Can we stop comparing Warships to WoT? It's a very, very different game

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
1 hour ago, Planetos said:

no only is 5 DDs completely unnecessary, but it is completely broken.

If WoW used a completely historic layout for fleets, each team would consist of 1 CV, 1 BB, 2 CA's or CL's, and 8 DD's. Quit whining and get good.

Members
58 posts
10,761 battles

DDs are at fault for BBs camping and so DDs must be punished!!!

The only virtue in the latest update is that DDs were not once again nerfed...I suppose that was bound to disappoint someone.

dark.png

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,752 posts
6,734 battles

Five DDs is fine.

If your teammates don't want to carry, git gud and carry yourself.

Members
13 posts
2,821 battles

Interesting. I thought the reason of passive play was the “salvo of skill” that deletes you from 17km+ no matter how angled you are. That’s why I rarely play “normal” cruisers anymore.

I used to play VMF CA line. Shchors was like T7 Nurnberg but I managed to do fine. Then I got Chapa, T8, with much more brutal matchmaking and I gave up. So I started RN CL line because smoke at least allows you to survive the first 10 minutes of the battle.

I was going to play Mino this week but then stage 4 of Yamamoto campaign began and now I see 5 BBs per team on each side. The moment I get spotted I get deleted (I know this is what usually happens to Neptune and Mino, but with 5 BBs per side it’s frigging absurd).

So the only way to counter BBs till people finish stage 4 is to play DDs. That’s why the typical team I see right now consists of 5BBs, 5 DDs, and 2 CAs/CLs. So I’m going back to Khaba and I’m gonna burn every mother**cking last one of you!

54c197d4f12d94b59a24ae05b37966a2.700x307x1.jpg

• Cool 2

[RESP]
Beta Testers
883 posts
7,122 battles

Nothing like being the sole cruiser in a game where there are 7 BBs per side... 

That's MM for you sometimes.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,114 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

If you REALLY want to get rid of the passive play, or at least a big chunk of it, the place to start is to require every ship to self spot its targets.  And make it so that anything a friendly spots only shows up on the minimap.  This would get the job done, for the most part.

Yeah sure, if you want to totally destroy RNCLs making them completely worthless and nerf the crap out of USN and German DDs.

[SALVO]
Members
16,627 posts
17,300 battles
3 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Yeah sure, if you want to totally destroy RNCLs making them completely worthless and nerf the crap out of USN and German DDs.

I don't agree with your assessment.

I hardly every use smoke offensively with German DD's.  I play them as torpedo boats primarily, but am willing to fire guns when an enemy is otherwise occupied with some other threat.

As for RN CL's, boo hoo.  I play them too, and completely loathe the sitting in smoke game play.  If they need to tweak RN CL's to make the more capable of operating without this stupid offensive smoke meta, so be it.  But offensive smoke is a totally garbage mechanic.