1. 1. Which gun selection is the best

• 4x3 419mm
    • 4x2 457mm

20 comments in this topic

[D12]
Members
323 posts
5,498 battles

I just got the Conqueror, only played a few games in it so far. First impression is it's a fun boat. It seems to have the ability to do damage in any situation. Only weakness seems to be that given it's AP seems "OK" and it's HE is amazing, I find myself with HE loaded when amazing AP opportunities like broadside cruisers come up. It doesn't seem to matter too much as it's easy to citadel that pesky Minotaur with HE but I'd like to remove him from the game instead of reducing him down to low health!

I was wondering which guns you preferred in the Conqueror and why? I only have the 419mm guns so far but I can unlock the 457's now. I hear most people say the 419's are better since there are 12 of them but would like to hear other opinions.

Best game so far

fgiMGJX.jpg

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

419 if you plan to play as a fire starter. 

457 if for some reason you'd rather be better at the usual AP play and not abuse the absurd fire chance with more shells per salvo. 

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,613 battles

50% increase in volume of fire beats the marginal increase in accuracy and damage of the 457's. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles
30 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

50% increase in volume of fire beats the marginal increase in accuracy and damage of the 457's. 

^ This. Volume of fire matters.

Plus, the 457s don't overmatch anything important that the 419s don't already do, so there's no ignoring-bow-on shenanigans like Yamato does with its 460s with Conq's 457s.

Plus plus, even if you're going for a fire starting HE slinging build, the 50% additional shells going out beats the increased fire chance. Fire starting is a game of dice, and the more dice you throw, the more chance to have of rolling successes.

Plus plus plus, the 419s hit hard enough and have enough pen per shell anyways. Seriously, they're bigger and heavier than the 406mm 'super heavy' Mk 8 that Montana throws.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,040 posts
8,925 battles
26 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

Wait till they nerf the 419's....

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,548 posts
13,992 battles

457s are cr@p.  Too few guns, not accurate enough.  Every shell that misses in a full salvo takes a terrible chunk of damage that you could have done away.

419s, you have a mass of guns and if your aim is good, you'll land multiple hits.  The 457s shell for shell are stronger, the HE fire chance jumps to a whopping 61%, but that doesn't mean s--t if they can't hit anything reliably.

Another hit is with the way penetration works, the 457s do not have the same LOLPENCIT ability as Yamato 460mm shells.  WG is never going to allow that, as that is Yamato's niche.

So why would you ever use 457mm x8 that will never have the same accuracy, same penetration as Yamato 460?  Why would you downgrade yourself from 12 rifles to 8?  I gave the 457s a try, HE & AP shells, it's just woeful.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,548 posts
13,992 battles

Consider this a PSA on getting the most out of Conqueror's shells.

Idvi2jG.jpg

I HE citadeled a Neptune x2, with x1 fire set while using the 419s.

"Haze!  That's great smacking a cruiser around!"

No it isn't.  I keep HE loaded so much in the ship that sometimes I fail to load the right shell for the right situation.  Had I loaded AP, I stood a very real chance of outright deleting a Cruiser instead of settling for lower HE damage values.  Fires?  Sure, that's nice, but that can be put out and fire damage repaired.  AP into a Cruiser is what gives you that chance to delete a high HP Cruiser into "Go back to port b*tch."

There was another opportunity I had screwed up because of lazy shell switching (or more exactly, lack of it).  Used HE a lot.  Saw a Tirpitz distracted at under 12km, I was in stealth still.  Tirpitz was showing full broadside.  I fire my salvo, got a bunch of hits, cause fires, blew up some modules.  I cursed myself.  I should have saw this opportunity coming and switched to AP while under stealth, and fired it into a full broadside Tirpitz to rack up huge AP penetration damage.

HE Damage > AP Damage

Fires can be put out

Fire damage can be repaired

Use AP at the right times, don't get lazy and keep HE loaded the entire time.  If you want to maximize damage, you need to switch shells for the right scenario.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,548 posts
13,992 battles
1 hour ago, MrShermanTanker said:

This is why you buff the 457 and remove the 419 lmbo

Make the 457s accurate to compensate for only having 8 guns then I'll be sporting those all day and all night.  Until then, they are complete garbage.

You can buff the 457 HE to have 90% fire chance.

You can buff the 457 AP to have the same LOLPEN ability as Yamato 460.

But if they have no accuracy, they are 100% worthless.

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles

Just had my first battle in 419 Conq. - WOWZERS!  

Hindenburg and Zoa are usually very resilient and difficult to finish off but not with Conqueror!  They might as well have been an a Nernberg, Atlanta or any of those other squishy T5, 6 or 7 cruisers. 

I also only used one heal/repair even though I had plenty of HP to spare. 

Members
63 posts
565 battles
20 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Make the 457s accurate to compensate for only having 8 guns then I'll be sporting those all day and all night.  Until then, they are complete garbage.

Agri

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
3,836 battles

So, I chose the 457s. 
Warspite sigma and okay fire chance, I wanted something different and after the absolute HELL raised over the HMS Montana debacle I kept my word and used only the 457s. 
Call me a masochist, at least I'm not singing a different tune about the ship now that the secrets out that people prefer big damage numbers over uniqueness, which is what we all fought to keep in the game and on the ship since the day we found out there may be not one or the other. 

fie and shame. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,548 posts
13,992 battles
On 9/25/2017 at 8:26 AM, Battlecruiser_RenownMkI said:

So, I chose the 457s. 
Warspite sigma and okay fire chance, I wanted something different and after the absolute HELL raised over the HMS Montana debacle I kept my word and used only the 457s. 
Call me a masochist, at least I'm not singing a different tune about the ship now that the secrets out that people prefer big damage numbers over uniqueness, which is what we all fought to keep in the game and on the ship since the day we found out there may be not one or the other. 

fie and shame. 

8 guns worked out for Warspite in Tier VI considering the competition she has.

Mutsu doesn't have Nagato's power and accuracy.

New Mexico is inconsistent despite 12 rifles.

Arizona has good gunnery.

Fuso does great because her shotgun is better than New Mexico's shotgun, and actually has enough accuracy and range to do the job.

At Tier X, 8 guns does not work out.

Montana has accuracy and 12 rifles to do work.

GK may not be the most accurate, but she has the 12 guns to matter.

Yamato has the fewest guns of these 3, but she has undisputed accuracy and power.

To me, Conqueror's 457s do not have the accuracy to make up for the deficient firepower downgrading to 8 rifles penalizes the players with.  If the 457s are not going to have mass of fire, are not going to have Yamato 460 LOLPEN ability, then at least provide Precision.  I don't see that.  So every shell that misses in a Tier X match for Conqueror, is a big, BIG drop.  At least with the 6 rifles Yamato typically fires (to not risk showing too much sides with firing the rear turret), you know you got the most accurate, powerful guns in the game.  The 457s don't have any of that.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
On 9/23/2017 at 10:20 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Originally in testing the 457s were more accurate than the 460s on Yamato, at their max range which was also farther than Yamato’s max range. They were godly accurate. WG then decided to nerf them during testing.

[LEGIO]
Members
2,956 posts
5,370 battles

From everything I've read the 18" guns are rather worthless compared to the 16.5" guns. I guess you can hope WG gives the 18" the same "lolpen" ability as Yamato's guns (there is no reason they shouldn't have that) but Japanese bias.

[HDR]
Members
61 posts
2,983 battles

Overall I would say that the 419mm guns are better due to the fact that they simply have more volume of fire, like others have said above. One advantage that the 457mms is that the turret fronts when using them are sloped back at a decent angle, which makes them harder to knock out at close range.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,548 posts
13,992 battles
On 9/27/2017 at 7:38 PM, renegadestatuz said:

Originally in testing the 457s were more accurate than the 460s on Yamato, at their max range which was also farther than Yamato’s max range. They were godly accurate. WG then decided to nerf them during testing.

I know this is late, but WTH!  They were accurate but it's only 8 guns!  They needed to be!  :Smile_teethhappy:

Sign in to follow this