You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
renegadestatuz

Statement from Octavian about clan cap and Q&A update

30 comments in this topic

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Great points made here. And good to hear iChase got a chance to talk to Octavian.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,681 posts
15,199 battles

I love this guy

[HINON]
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_Zath said:

I love this guy

Can't tell if talking about the post, or the poster. 

*Insert Futurama picture here*

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,647 battles

I particularly like the comment about "responsibility of the clan creation". Having to spend real money to create a clan definitely makes it an incentive to actually try to make the clan successful in some way. No one wants dead clans, or clans with only two or three members.

[-K-]
4,681 posts
15,199 battles

I was referring to Sub_Octavian. 

As for the cost to create clans, I agree.  That said, I could still spend 2500 doubloons, create 29 dummy accounts, and grind enough oil for the xp boosting buildings on my main account.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,338 posts
9,433 battles
2 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

I was referring to Sub_Octavian. 

As for the cost to create clans, I agree.  That said, I could still spend 2500 doubloons, create 29 dummy accounts, and grind enough oil for the xp boosting buildings on my main account.  

You'd need to get those 29 accounts to level 15...  And that takes some effort.

Set up a TeamSpeak and hit up the Tier 1 crowd...   Those guys do thousands of missions and never go up.  They are quite happy there.  If you get caught in a battle with a bunch of these guys...  it feels like a tier 10 gunfight.  Camping, sniping, duck/hiding, map positioning, etc.  They've been there for years.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,039 posts
12,528 battles
6 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

I could still spend 2500 doubloons, create 29 dummy accounts, and grind enough oil for the xp boosting buildings on my main account.

Why... wouldn't you just play your main account for 30x as long? Those bonuses are only 3%...

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles

I hate to burst @Sub_Octavian's bubble here but his third statement has done the opposite several large clans that were around since beta have fractured and fallen apart due to this small clan size limit, Fog, Kantai, OPG  three of the top clans fractured and split due to this small clan size. I know for a fact the small clan issue is what cause Fog to decide to become a gaming community to save itself and keep it from dissolving (Kantai and OPG are split). I know that the Clan issue partially caused the three leaders of the Clan to give up and leave.

Edited by Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi
Screwed-up Wording

[-K-]
4,681 posts
15,199 battles
5 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

You'd need to get those 29 accounts to level 15...  And that takes some effort.

Set up a TeamSpeak and hit up the Tier 1 crowd...   Those guys do thousands of missions and never go up.  They are quite happy there.  If you get caught in a battle with a bunch of these guys...  it feels like a tier 10 gunfight.  Camping, sniping, duck/hiding, map positioning, etc.  They've been there for years.

Good point.  I didn't say I WOULD do it...  just that I could ;).  And yeah the Tier 1 crowd is amazing.  I never thought I'd run into someone who has over 5,000 battles in an Orlan.  And they all know each other, too!

4 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Why... wouldn't you just play your main account for 30x as long? Those bonuses are only 3%...

Yep I would :)

Members
160 posts
3,702 battles
4 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

I particularly like the comment about "responsibility of the clan creation". Having to spend real money to create a clan definitely makes it an incentive to actually try to make the clan successful in some way. No one wants dead clans, or clans with only two or three members.

I actually disagree.  How many people have premium ships that they rarely/never use? How many people buy premium time, then take a break for a week or two..  maybe it's just me, but I fit into both those categories.  A small expenditure of money is not enough to "ensure responsibility", and a large expenditure of money might actually have the opposite effect.  If they want to "ensure responsibility" then they should have  a few hoops that people have to jump through, including in game targets (like having a certain amount of compliments or something) and a period or two where the clan founder has to wait for a period of time between tasks.. these things would help to ensure that a person is serious about making a clan.. monetary cost only ensures that a person has money.

On to the clan sizes..  It honestly doesn't make much difference to me as I'm not part of any super-sized guilds.  I know people in some WoT clans that don't seriously play WoWs because they couldn't just transfer their clan over or actually recreate their clan for WoWs.. Not allowing clans from WoT to be clans in WoWs seems like a mistake to me.  People know and trust their clans from WoT.. those are their friends and WoWs won't let them play with those people (not that they couldn't just add them to their contacts list, but the perception seems to be that they can't play together)  Furthermore, if Kantai and Fog "splintered" because of the limited clan sizes, then it seems like the plan to have more numerous small clans is actually working..  the issue here is that no one.. at this point anyway.. considered Kantai or Fog to be hyper-competitive.. those clans weren't formed for competition, they were formed for socialization..  however, as the game tries to boost it's competitive format, I think we all know that hyper competitive clans will eventually pop up, so while these smaller clan sizes might help to fight the domination of a few large competitive clans in the future, at the moment it only keeps people from socializing in large groups.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,338 posts
9,433 battles
18 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Thing is, you only get 3 container drops a day.

The first two are pretty easy if you've got premium with Tier 10 ships.  But non-premium accounts, with low tier boats ??  You are lucky to have two drops in 4-6 hours of battles.

I glanced over the roster of the clan I am in -- Most of us earned 20 on a work day (2 drops).  There were a lot of zeroes as folks have busy lives.  The first day, we have a couple hundred.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,514 posts
6,677 battles

Assuming 10 players and 150 barrels a day, with individual contributions varying from zero to 30 depending on day of the week and xp grinding potential (make sure you feed them well :Smile_popcorn:). Add the Clan missions on top for big bonuses.

[CAFE]
Members
1,393 posts
10,674 battles
39 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

I hate to burst @Sub_Octavian's bubble here but his third statement has done the opposite several large clans that were around since beta have fractured and fallen apart due to this small clan size limit, Fog, Kantai, OPG  three of the top clans fractured and split due to this small clan size. I know for a fact the small clan issue is what cause Fog to decide to become a gaming community to save itself and keep it from dissolving (Kantai and OPG are split). I know that the Clan issue partially caused the three leaders of the Clan to give up and leave.

That is not true in OPG's case. We removed a lot of inactive members who did not want to participate in clan activities and a tourney team left out of embarrassment after backing out of the showmatch. 

What Octavian said as WG's response makes a lot of sense.

Edited by FratStar4Life

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,039 posts
12,528 battles
15 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Thing is, you only get 3 container drops a day.

The first two are pretty easy if you've got premium with Tier 10 ships.  But non-premium accounts, with low tier boats ??  You are lucky to have two drops in 4-6 hours of battles.

I glanced over the roster of the clan I am in -- Most of us earned 20 on a work day (2 drops).  There were a lot of zeroes as folks have busy lives.  The first day, we have a couple hundred.

You've missed the point. He's talking about running all 30 accounts himself to buff up his faux-clan for the benefit of his main account. If you're going to invest 3000% of the effort, it's silly to only get a 3% return from it.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
10 minutes ago, FratStar4Life said:

That is not true in OPG's case. We removed a lot of inactive members who did not want to participate in clan activities and a tourney team left out of embarrassment after backing out of the showmatch. 

What Octavian said as WG's response makes a lot of sense.

My mistake, however the fracturing of Fog and Kantai still remains, I'm not 100% on the Kantai split but i know that the Fog Leaders all left WoWs in part due too the small clan size choice by Wargaming.

[HINON]
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
9 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

You've missed the point. He's talking about running all 30 accounts himself to buff up his faux-clan for the benefit of his main account. If you're going to invest 3000% of the effort, it's silly to only get a 3% return from it.

Zath has an addiction to botes. It's terminal. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,338 posts
9,433 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

OK...  Math time.

You have one main account where you can get 3 drops in 3 battles (really good with premium/flags)

Now, the 'newly created' 29 free accounts can't join a clan until level 15.  I recently did one (see my sig).  It takes about 50 battles to get each account there.  That's three days hard work.... times 29.  That's 87 days....  You'll be done in time for New Years.  So maybe you might decide on fewer members to favor start earning oil.

Then, to start earning extra drops, you need to work those accounts (since they are at tier 3-4 at best) 2-4 hours each.  Drop one comes after 2-3 good battles, number two in maybe 10.  But hey..  You're really good - so only 2 hours x 29 ships / day. === playing 58 hours a day for 58 drops.

Probably be more efficient to go for 1 drop per account since they are the easy ones...  40 minutes/drop * 29 == about 20 hours..  That's doable.

So get 31 drops (310 oil) in only 20.5 hours of play.  Sleep for 3.5 hours, get up, do it again.

Let me know how it turns out after doing this a week.  Happy New Years !!!

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,039 posts
12,528 battles
2 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Do you even realize you're agreeing with me? The alt idea is utterly stupid, and he should spend the time on his main account instead. That was already the point.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,338 posts
9,433 battles
10 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Do you even realize you're agreeing with me? The alt idea is utterly stupid, and he should spend the time on his main account instead. That was already the point.

I am seriously thinking of starting a clan for my 'Alt' account.  Give it a flashy name.

At least this way, the drops I make are captured, and after a few months can go towards something of my choice.

It's not like they are going to take away from lack of use.

[SIMP]
Members
819 posts
8,232 battles
56 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

OK...  Math time.

You have one main account where you can get 3 drops in 3 battles (really good with premium/flags)

Now, the 'newly created' 29 free accounts can't join a clan until level 15.  I recently did one (see my sig).  It takes about 50 battles to get each account there.  That's three days hard work.... times 29.  That's 87 days....  You'll be done in time for New Years.  So maybe you might decide on fewer members to favor start earning oil.

Then, to start earning extra drops, you need to work those accounts (since they are at tier 3-4 at best) 2-4 hours each.  Drop one comes after 2-3 good battles, number two in maybe 10.  But hey..  You're really good - so only 2 hours x 29 ships / day. === playing 58 hours a day for 58 drops.

Probably be more efficient to go for 1 drop per account since they are the easy ones...  40 minutes/drop * 29 == about 20 hours..  That's doable.

So get 31 drops (310 oil) in only 20.5 hours of play.  Sleep for 3.5 hours, get up, do it again.

You have forgotten bots exist...

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,039 posts
12,528 battles
39 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I am seriously thinking of starting a clan for my 'Alt' account.  Give it a flashy name.

At least this way, the drops I make are captured, and after a few months can go towards something of my choice.

It's not like they are going to take away from lack of use.

I'm skeptical that the oil accumulated by a single alt account will ever be worth the 2500 doubloons it costs to start the clan. 1000 if you do it during the sale, I guess.

[DRACS]
Members
3,357 posts

I actually understand with many of his concerns. At first I too was leery about the clan cap, but fact of the matter is that allowing for truly massive clans without changing the scaling would mean that large clans will have very rapidly unlocked all the best benefits compared to what the smaller clans can offer, meaning no one would want to join a small clan.

On the other hand, adding that scaling element to allow for large clans would then generate a lot of rage from members of those big clans acting like they are paying too much to account for the number of casual players who are not contributing oil.

tl;dr: the oil economy would make a mess of big clans.